These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

exploration again did i do wrong?

Author
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-01-13 20:50:28 UTC
a few days ago i found some npc drug warehouse place i got a message to say it was ded3/10 or something like that, anyway i cleared the place out got a few grand in bountys, grabbed my loot and also got some emblam thing in the loot, anyway i left because the clock was ticking and i had to go to work so i ended up leaving the wrecks.
i was fairly dissapointed in the loot i got all pretty much junk.
so my noobish questions are:-
what did i do wrong, should i have salvaged the wrecks ? i had about 50 of them lol.

apologies if this sounds rather vague, it is now as it happened a few days ago now and these scenario's are still new to me been a casual player, i have yet to find anything of interest or value yet, just random wormholes.

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried"

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#2 - 2012-01-13 20:59:56 UTC
DED sites have an 'overseer'. Sometimes it is a ship, sometime a structure, it varies for each site. You will know you have found one as it will have 'X Tier Overseer's Personal Effects (Also knows as OPEs)' on the wreck or can if it was a structure and possibly some other loot. The 'other loot' is what you are really looking for, which comes in the form of dedspace modules.

Also don't get discouraged by finding nothing (we consider OPEs nothing Ugh), that's common.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#3 - 2012-01-13 21:17:32 UTC
Exploration is very random. Sometimes you'll go for weeks getting nothing major. And sometimes you'll get billions.

If it was the serpentis narcotics warehouse complex, you'd have needed to blow up the big structure in the last room to get the real loot. I'd suggest doing a search on the name though google before you go in. Plenty of sites with details.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-01-14 21:16:55 UTC
Kilrayn wrote:
DED sites have an 'overseer'. Sometimes it is a ship, sometime a structure, it varies for each site. You will know you have found one as it will have 'X Tier Overseer's Personal Effects (Also knows as OPEs)' on the wreck or can if it was a structure and possibly some other loot. The 'other loot' is what you are really looking for, which comes in the form of dedspace modules.

Also don't get discouraged by finding nothing (we consider OPEs nothing Ugh), that's common.

yup that was what i got 7th overseers personal effects, other than that the rest was rubbish

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-01-16 10:33:16 UTC
Then you were just unlucky this time. Like mentioned above, exploration sites are completely random (both in where they spawn and what is in it).

Each downtime the server randomly distribute the exploration sites, so one day you can have multiple sites in your system, the other day it may be nothing in your surroundings. Same counts with loot and salvage, both of them are randomly generated the second you kill the NPC, so you can a huge profit if you are l lucky or just a waste of time when you are unlucky (you seem to hit the last option this time)

Don't be dis-encouraged by this, continue to probe down sites and run them if you like exploration, sooner or later you will hit the jackpot and get into one of the sites that can make you millions if not billions. Exploration (as with a lot of EVE) comes with patience, keep doing it and you will get there, if you just in for the quick ISK you will get bored quickly.

Also keep in mind in general the lower the security status of a system, the better the payouts of stuff (1.0 systems give you less rewards then a 0.5 system or below if you want it).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#6 - 2012-01-16 11:25:00 UTC
Also worth notice is that if you plan one day on moving to 0.0 you need leadership V as the highest ranking 10/10 DED plex requires it invidually from each pilot trying to enter.
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-01-16 13:55:44 UTC
once again many thanks to all who replied, am not discouraged just wanted to make sure i was on the right track. maybe i should of salvaged the wrecks too except some of them had loot in them and were yellow to me? i did not see anyone else in there at the time i was in?

Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#8 - 2012-01-16 14:39:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Baneken
You may salvage any wrecks you please but you cannot loot anything from the wrecks that you don't own.

This is of c. at your own risk if you wish to loot the cans as well instead of just salvaging the wrecks.

edit:
Viewing the wrecks isn't counted as theft so you can safely check the insides of a can as long as you don't take anything from it.
Hamster Too
Golden Fowl
#9 - 2012-01-16 15:05:31 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Each downtime the server randomly distribute the exploration sites, so one day you can have multiple sites in your system, the other day it may be nothing in your surroundings.

This is incorrect. All that happens at downtime is that new, random scan IDs are assigned to sites. Respawn happens when a site is completed and it is independent from downtime.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-01-18 14:39:14 UTC
Evelopedia is a good source for info about the various sites you scan down. Just remember that the Overseer and Commander NPC wrecks will usually give Tech 2 salvage.