These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Every year, there are less users playing, why??

First post
Author
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#681 - 2016-08-01 15:06:08 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
The greedy and the silly would still fit them terrible and still die to ganks
And the problem is....???

none,, working as intended.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#682 - 2016-08-01 15:09:48 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
Dracvlad wrote:

There is a rotten smell and it is not just coming from Jenn's megaphone...

and that means exactly what?

the shite you peddle doesn't smell, only everyone elses?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#683 - 2016-08-01 15:11:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Lucy Lollipops wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
So the AG are by definition incompetent,...

I think that's one thing everyone can agree on.

/thread

I don't know if I would use the word 'incompetent'. I would use the words 'delusional' and 'reactionary'.

Delusional because they don't understand themselves (the 1st part of success in anything is understanding yourself 1st). Most anti-ganker types, like most high sec resident types, are loners and asocial people for whom cooperation is hard. Each of them thinks they are unique and smarter than everyone else and each has his/her own agenda and are trying to use the ag 'movement' to further those goals. I've visited some in game AG channels and those places are SICK and full of angst. AGs don't like each other almost as much as they hate gankers.

The whole thing is reactionary because they don't exist to have fun (like the ganekrs do), they exist for the purpose of stopping someone else (ie reacting).

The gankers on the other hand 'fit' together much better, they are having fun, they aren't bitter, and they are impressed as hell when someone outthinks them. That's how I became actual friends with gankers, by earning their respect while thwarting their attempts to kill my hauling ships and deadspace fit mission running ships.

Because anti-gankers (like all 'fighters of grave injustice' types lol) are focused on external forces ("CCP is for the gankers!") and simply can't understand that their biggest enemies are their own screwed up personalities and personal agendas.

I think to say that hisec players are asocial and so on is very unfair...

For what I saw so far many of the hisec players are persons that are not very young ( IRL I mean ) and cannot have the dedication to play together with others.

I don't know the age of the forum posters here but I can tell you that if you are 30/40/50 or more years old and have family and children, to find spare time hours to focus in front of your pc without leaving it even for a minute can be very very hard.

You can say: " If you haven't time for it, you should quit it"

Yes, it's an option too.

It's the reason I think some months with Concord on strike would give CCP developers a clear idea about how many "mature" players are actually on Eve.

I said mature, not asocial.

I'm 42 and married. I've been playing EVE since 2007, the whole time I've had a full time job, worked overtime or part time jobs etc.

Whether a person is socially minded (ie can make friends, likes to interact with people) has nothing to do with play time. Plenty of casual players play with/against others. Each part of space attracts different people.

Sov Null sec tends to attract people who like (or at least don't mind) being in a largish group. Low sec attracts people who tend to prefer smallish groups (but who still prefer groups). Hi Sec has people who fit into both the above categories, but is mainly the place for casual, solo, non-pvp types. The only reason there are gankers and wardeccers in high sec is because that's where their prey is (casual, solo, non-pvp types tend to be fairly soft types who find cooperating with others difficult).

Wormholers are just weird. They are Lowseccers who hate Gates and Local chat lol.

But yea, High sec types tend to be asocial, That's not to say that all are (some of them are very social and even organize groups within npc corps). But they tend to play the game for the game aspect, where as more social players use the game as a back drop for social activity.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#684 - 2016-08-01 15:27:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
baltec1 wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
They take a risk in fitting for yield with mining lasers in the low and use a mid for a survey scanner which is the reward, working as intended mate.

What risk is there for a max yeild skiff? Nothing is going to bother it because it still tanks like a beast. The hulk and Mack have next to no customisation options as you can't alter the cargo on either and it's pointless getting them for their tank because you might as well get a skiff. The ships are forced into just one role simply because their bonuses and fitting give very little option to customise to your liking. The barge lineup is poorly balanced.

My dear boy, the Skiff has a lower base yield then the Mackinaw and Hulk, that is why in areas where CODE are too lazy to operate you see them. But most people who go for yield go for the Retreiver as Brokk quite rightly pointed out, it is cheap too and the yield will make a big enough difference over a couple of hours to more than pay for its inability to tank a single Catalyst....

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#685 - 2016-08-01 15:28:27 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

lol.

The right way to say that is "Works in EvE too....in places where you can get people to cooperate with each other". Hisec isn't one of those places.

You can if you pay for the cooperation... ISK usually works. Now, sometimes mutual benefit works as well. I know, I've participated in it. Nothing happened but we actively did work together and helped each other out (non allied corps/players in HiSec) to get something done in system.

However, that takes talking and communication. That is what really keeps players engaged. Ralph KG and CCP are correct. The more you interact, you more you are likely to stay.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#686 - 2016-08-01 15:33:20 UTC
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

So what is your view on how the wreck EHP of freighters got changed to 15,000 EHP from 500 EHP, was it done with the purest of intentions, or was it because the AG was starting to gank wrecks, answers on a post card. To help in your journey of discovery you will find thet the person who jumped on to this was Endie whose corp was at one time the biggest industrial gankers in Eve.

He may be a paton saint of Eve for all I know, but the timing looks rather suspect, so if my feeling that this was a bit of a fix to favour the gankers smalls then it sure does smell.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#687 - 2016-08-01 15:38:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

lol.

The right way to say that is "Works in EvE too....in places where you can get people to cooperate with each other". Hisec isn't one of those places.

You can if you pay for the cooperation... ISK usually works. Now, sometimes mutual benefit works as well. I know, I've participated in it. Nothing happened but we actively did work together and helped each other out (non allied corps/players in HiSec) to get something done in system.

However, that takes talking and communication. That is what really keeps players engaged. Ralph KG and CCP are correct. The more you interact, you more you are likely to stay.

No one actually disagrees with that point in that being social is better, but why would a load of anti-social miners who were perfectly happy playing the game for a long time and being quite often solo give up when all the mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag and destroyers could kill them easily. Damn big mystery to CCP and obviously gankers and ganker aligned players. I know its because if they could be killed with a noob ship with noob weapons they would have stayed, get to it CCP. Big smile

PS That was not aimed at you, just at the ganker aligned players. Perhaps we need to make it so everyone in hisec automatically has a tank of a wet paper bag and then the game will have a massive intake of new players and no one will leave period.

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#688 - 2016-08-01 15:51:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Dracvlad wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

So what is your view on how the wreck EHP of freighters got changed to 15,000 EHP from 500 EHP, was it done with the purest of intentions, or was it because the AG was starting to gank wrecks, answers on a post card. To help in your journey of discovery you will find thet the person who jumped on to this was Endie whose corp was at one time the biggest industrial gankers in Eve.

He may be a paton saint of Eve for all I know, but the timing looks rather suspect, so if my feeling that this was a bit of a fix to favour the gankers smalls then it sure does smell.

Unintended consequences followed by a weird sense of 'balance' to the nerf/buff cycle.

The change was made for reasons related to controlling a battlefield. Quick removal of wrecks removes some warp-in opportunities and locations. The wrecks were being blapped with a single gun, meaning that they were easily - and near instantly- cleaned up leaving nothing to create an easy warp-in point from. Increasing the HP of the wrecks added more meaningful choices: Appoint more resources to clean the wrecks; take more time to clean the wrecks; or ignore the wrecks and just accept being warped in on top of.

It was brought up in the forums how this change might affect HS privateering, but it was also noted that the EHP increase for all ships due to the DCU changes (and changes to Hull resists) would 'balance' out the wreck changes.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Hilmar Fudd
Wery Wascally Wabbits
#689 - 2016-08-01 15:53:29 UTC
I agree that LOTS of ganked ships deserve it due poor fits, choice of route/place etc. However, CCP changing game mechanics to benefit gankers is not just unfair, it's really dumb business practice. Professional gankers are a tiny minority of the subscriber base, deserving a corresponding tiny amount of positive help from CCP. IMO of course.

Back to the OP...Why?

I logged in Sunday afternoon at usual Sun peak time and there were 30k players. I remember not that long ago seeing 50k then over 60k players logged in at that time on most Sunday's.

There is only ONE constant reason why. CCP. Defend them all you want, they hold the ultimate responsibility for the chain of bad decisions that has led us to where we are.

The list for me is almost endless...

The attempts to force people into larger groups, to force people into Null, the love of lag fest blob warfare, just plain dumb changes made while ignoring player suggestions, comments, legitimate complaints during testing. The emphasis on instant gratification noobs, wiping out months and even years of skill training, research with an "Oh well" and just giving it away In a misguided attempt to attract new players at the expense of vets. Selling SP's...yeah I know the come back.."But the character bazaar". Nope, the character bazaar characters took a lot of players sub time, not plex's for cash for instant uber training.

30k players have spoke with their wallets...and CCP is spending it's time with WTF Citadels and trinkets for noobs diversions. Oh, and constantly listening to the Null sec CCM's greedy, one sided manipulations. I hardly even play anymore, when I do it is nowhere near as fun as it was.

Because CCP....period. They are their own worst enemy and they seriously need to shake up upper management before they run what was once a great game all the way into the ground.

My .02
Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#690 - 2016-08-01 15:56:12 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

What risk is there for a max yeild skiff? Nothing is going to bother it because it still tanks like a beast. The hulk and Mack have next to no customisation options as you can't alter the cargo on either and it's pointless getting them for their tank because you might as well get a skiff. The ships are forced into just one role simply because their bonuses and fitting give very little option to customise to your liking. The barge lineup is poorly balanced.

It risks getting ganked before it earns back its hefty price tag just for KB green or to 'discourage' the Skiffers.
It's also outdone by a max yield Hulk.
It risks getting either its cargo stolen (when canmining) or missing out on half the icebelt in transit (limited cargohold)
It risks one of the newly introduced dread spawns.
It risks dying in a ball of fire to an interceptor fleet, a hotdrop, a solo Sabre or Rapier, .....

Seriously, killing a Skiff isn't rocket science. Their DPs is laughable. Tank only delays the inevitable. They're not good at getting away; in fact they basically have to be aligned at all times-- that's a telltale sign of a ship that doesn't do very well on its own.

There is a reason Skiffs mine in flocks. On its own, it is indeed quite dead quite fast.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#691 - 2016-08-01 15:57:15 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
xxxTRUSTxxx wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Unintended consequences followed by a weird sense of 'balance' to the nerf/buff cycle.

The change was made for reasons related to controlling a battlefield. Quick removal of wrecks removes some warp-in opportunities and locations. The wrecks were being blapped with a single gun, meaning that they were easily - and near instantly- cleaned up leaving nothing to create an easy warp-in point from. Increasing the HP of the wrecks added more meaningful choices: Appoint more resources to clean the wrecks; take more time to clean the wrecks; or ignore the wrecks and just accept being warped in on top of.

It was brought up in the forums how this change might affect HS privateering, but it was also noted that the EHP increase for all ships due to the DCU changes (and changes to Hull resists) would 'balance' out the wreck changes.

--Gadget

Yes a good reason as people like me agree with, however why did it suddenly get picked up on by Endie? Ask yourself another question it was like that for years, why change now, and in big fights there are so many wrecks its difficult to blow them all up.

As for it being balanced, no it was not balanced out at all, because it removed the one fun part of doing AG stuff. If you could have heard some of the ganker comms when the wreck got blown up you would understand, some of them went utterly apeshite at it, a certain player who is no longer in Eve went on a 20 minute rant over the wreck being blown up.

Perhaps it is because Eve is really a game of rainbows and unicrons for gankers.

Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#692 - 2016-08-01 15:57:38 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Perhaps we need to make it so everyone in hisec automatically has a tank of a wet paper bag and then the game will have a massive intake of new players and no one will leave period.

Or perhaps CCP can give you a EHP boost so that you greedy little miners can watch YouTube all you want while AFK mining for your PLEXs and not have to worry about anything. You're goal is to make HiSec 100% safe so that would be the end result. Every player with a dedicated account just to AFK mine for their PLEX.

*"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#693 - 2016-08-01 16:00:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Brokk Witgenstein
I have a better idea: simply provide LESS ore in highsec. Once the belts start running out when they're stripmined, they'll turn on one another soon enough and start ganking the 'competition' themselves.

As long as there is infinite ore and ice, there is no incentive to be competitive.

Edit: same points were raised in the wardec thread: there has to be something to fight over in order to have a meaningful conflict. See where I'm going with this?
Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#694 - 2016-08-01 16:02:49 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
I have a better idea: simply provide LESS ore in highsec. Once the belts start running out when they're stripmined, they'll turn on one another soon enough and start ganking the 'competition' themselves.

As long as there is infinite ore and ice, there is no incentive to be competitive.

Yep...The end goal for (greedy) miners is to PLEX mine in 100% safety. I have zero issue with making, oh say, 0.8->1.0 100% for new players BUT then remove 90% of the ore so that players can't just AFK mine. They can't have it both ways...

*"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#695 - 2016-08-01 16:08:39 UTC
Yea. No shortage of ideas; but what would be good for you and me would be totally unacceptable for others. CCP is tightrope walking the middle-of-the-road and that's on overall, not bad. There's something for everyone yet impossible to please everyone.

It's a good thing we can all move to those areas of space we love best, ain't it?
Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#696 - 2016-08-01 16:13:58 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
Yea. No shortage of ideas; but what would be good for you and me would be totally unacceptable for others. CCP is tightrope walking the middle-of-the-road and that's on overall, not bad. There's something for everyone yet impossible to please everyone.

It's a good thing we can all move to those areas of space we love best, ain't it?

True but I think most would also agree that HS is too big and resource rich. This makes it too easy of a target for the PLEX-miner types which in turn attract the wrath of CODE. Ages ago I read a great line in the forums on how EVE's economy was based on the concept of over-supply and how that by itself is not a bad thing but how those resources are distributed is a bad thing.

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#697 - 2016-08-01 16:16:01 UTC
Agreed. Can't help but wonder how many of those are actually nullsec alts earning a buck to fund their PvP though... The logs show nothing.
Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#698 - 2016-08-01 16:19:43 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
Agreed. Can't help but wonder how many of those are actually nullsec alts earning a buck to fund their PvP though... The logs show nothing.

True but at the end of the day, the reason they are doing it is actually irrelevant (PLEX or just easy income). The fact that CCP puts such a large trough out for the little piggies to feed at is the problem. The resource-creation mechanic needs adjusting...

Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#699 - 2016-08-01 16:28:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:

Edit: same points were raised in the wardec thread: there has to be something to fight over in order to have a meaningful conflict. See where I'm going with this?

The ones that stay might.

Many will quit. And while that could be a good thing for the "kill all the thngs!" crowd, it will take out a needed and ...dare I say it... integral part of EvE.

Some people LIKE the boring parts of EvE. One pilot's boring is someone else's relaxing.
But, without the minerals from mining, it'll be tough to make Stuff to blow up.

"But they can mine in null and make more," some say? Sure they could, and they could even have arguably better protection in the middle of a blue area, but this misses something about the independent miner/explorer/mission runner - independence.

These players rely on the mechanics to accomplish their tasks. Sure some take it too far IMO -- AFK anything in EvE should be a first class ticket to buying a replacement ship -- but for the most part, I find no fault in players wanting to do their own thing.

These players want to be in control of their destinies, but don't want to lead. Fine. Let them. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as they aren't trying to change EvE to be a single player game.

Changing the game too far from its core - in either direction - will cause more problems than solutions.

I don't want to see HS become the place of you can't do that, but at the same time having no HS at all (or an unrecognizable HS) would make this game not EvE.

This is EvE - not WoT is space, Space WoW, Asteroid Minecraft, Second Spacelife, or Trade Wars 2016. EvE has elements of ALL these games blended together spiced up with a bit of camaraderie, sociopathy, greed, and generosity.

So EvE needs its mousy miners just as it needs its ne'er-do-wells. Getting rid of playstyles or whole occupations can only stymie player retention.

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#700 - 2016-08-01 16:33:20 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:

The ones that stay might.

Many will quit. And while that could be a good thing for the "kill all the thngs!" crowd, it will take out a needed and ...dare I say it... integral part of EvE.

Some people LIKE the boring parts of EvE. One pilot's boring is someone else's relaxing.
But, without the minerals from mining, it'll be tough to make Stuff to blow up.

"But they can mine in null and make more," some say? Sure they could, and they could even have arguably better protection in the middle of a blue area, but this misses something about the independent miner/explorer/mission runner - independence.

These players rely on the mechanics to accomplish their tasks. Sure some take it too far IMO -- AFK anything in EvE should be a first class ticket to buying a replacement ship -- but for the most part, I find no fault in players wanting to do their own thing.

These players want to be in control of their destinies, but don't want to lead. Fine. Let them. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as they aren't trying to change EvE to be a single player game.

Changing the game too far from its core - in either direction - will cause more problems than solutions.

I don't want to see HS become the place of you can't do that, but at the same time having no HS at all (or an unrecognizable HS) would make this game not EvE.

This is EvE - not WoT is space, Space WoW, Asteroid Minecraft, Second Spacelife, or Trade Wars 2016. EvE has elements of ALL these games blended together spiced up with a bit of camaraderie, sociopathy, greed, and generosity.

So EvE needs its mousy miners just as it needs its ne'er-do-wells. Getting rid of playstyles or whole occupations can only stymie player retention.

--Gadget

Great post. This is a great point and one I didn't mention. The Status quo IS actually pretty darn good and we should really realize/remember that.