These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Every year, there are less users playing, why??

First post
Author
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#441 - 2016-07-29 20:01:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Teckos Pech wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Sounds like a normal ganker behavoiur Roll

No, typical Eve behavior.

Well actually the way it is going, it is the normal behavoiur, people who do that routinely like gankers rolling alts, people who get the mechanics changed to benefit their gameplay because they are too fail in game to do what they accuse their enemies of.

So the gankers cannot defend their wrecks and get the EHP increased so they don't have to defend them, yeah typical Eve behaviour and typical CCP naivety and incompetence.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#442 - 2016-07-29 20:02:38 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Rainey Dhey wrote:
The problems I see with Eve is that its very top heavy. It took me several years of coming and going before I finally even understood what Eve was and was about. Since then, I've seen a lot of things happen.

From a new players perspective, I can easily see someone diving into EVE, learning a few things, joining a corp only for the corp to get wardecced as part of the blanket deccing many of the big corps do, then losing a ship, being told to dock up and not play for a week by their CEO and saing "**** this game".

Or maybe you are in PVP corp, but you get decced by a big merc corp, again, blanket deccing everyone and then being told by your CEO to dock up for a week because you cant compete with this big merc corp. "**** this game".

You'll say "Hire another corp and fight them, or band together and fight them off." umm, all of the big merc corps are allied to eachother because they are all too sissified to actually take on anyone that will challenge them as its easier to blop smaller corps and act powerful and big.

It's top heavy. CCP is always trying to push people into low/null sec when a lot of players simply dont want o go there.
They wont change the blanket deccing going on which would give more newb friendly corps a chance to thrive and ultimately is committing a slow and painful suicide over time.

Its seems CCP is more about fueling the loss of ships to keep the economy in check at the expense of losing players to frustration or lack of play.

This is exactly the problem. We are experiencing this right now, and it's amazing to me how less important new players are to this game.

These problems are the results of changes CCP has made.

CCP increased the costs of war decs...which contributed to bigger war dec corporations/alliances. CCP removed the watchlist which made target war decs considerably more difficult which lead to an increase in blanket war decs.

Ironically, there is still a solution: stay out of trade hubs and off the pipes between trade hubs. Find an out of the way system and do your stuff there.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#443 - 2016-07-29 20:06:37 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Well actually the way it is going, it is the normal behavoiur, people who do that routinely like gankers rolling alts, people who get the mechanics changed to benefit their gameplay because they are too fail in game to so what they assuce their enemies of.

So the gankers cannot defend their wrecks and get the EHP increased so they don't have to defend them, yeah typical Eve behaviour and typical CCP naivity and incompetence.

Eve has always been about finding and edge and then taking advantage of it. For example insurance fraud.

And even if players did not resell and biomass these freebies, these freebies would gut the market for DSTs and procurors. Demand would take a huge hit and prices would collapse.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#444 - 2016-07-29 20:08:52 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Well actually the way it is going, it is the normal behavoiur, people who do that routinely like gankers rolling alts, people who get the mechanics changed to benefit their gameplay because they are too fail in game to so what they assuce their enemies of.

So the gankers cannot defend their wrecks and get the EHP increased so they don't have to defend them, yeah typical Eve behaviour and typical CCP naivity and incompetence.

Eve has always been about finding and edge and then taking advantage of it. For example insurance fraud.

And even if players did not resell and biomass these freebies, these freebies would gut the market for DSTs and procurors. Demand would take a huge hit and prices would collapse.

Eve is about meta gaming and making it easy for yourself with meta gaming, that is what the gankers did and what CCP allowed them to do.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Cerius Lennar
O S I R I S
#445 - 2016-07-29 20:11:00 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Rainey Dhey wrote:
The problems I see with Eve is that its very top heavy. It took me several years of coming and going before I finally even understood what Eve was and was about. Since then, I've seen a lot of things happen.

From a new players perspective, I can easily see someone diving into EVE, learning a few things, joining a corp only for the corp to get wardecced as part of the blanket deccing many of the big corps do, then losing a ship, being told to dock up and not play for a week by their CEO and saing "**** this game".

Or maybe you are in PVP corp, but you get decced by a big merc corp, again, blanket deccing everyone and then being told by your CEO to dock up for a week because you cant compete with this big merc corp. "**** this game".

You'll say "Hire another corp and fight them, or band together and fight them off." umm, all of the big merc corps are allied to eachother because they are all too sissified to actually take on anyone that will challenge them as its easier to blop smaller corps and act powerful and big.

It's top heavy. CCP is always trying to push people into low/null sec when a lot of players simply dont want o go there.
They wont change the blanket deccing going on which would give more newb friendly corps a chance to thrive and ultimately is committing a slow and painful suicide over time.

Its seems CCP is more about fueling the loss of ships to keep the economy in check at the expense of losing players to frustration or lack of play.

This is exactly the problem. We are experiencing this right now, and it's amazing to me how less important new players are to this game.

These problems are the results of changes CCP has made.

CCP increased the costs of war decs...which contributed to bigger war dec corporations/alliances. CCP removed the watchlist which made target war decs considerably more difficult which lead to an increase in blanket war decs.

Ironically, there is still a solution: stay out of trade hubs and off the pipes between trade hubs. Find an out of the way system and do your stuff there.

Why not stiffer penalties to security status at trade hubs? Doesn't make sense in a story fashion that a trade system would allow such a threat to its existence. Feels like a lot of what CCP does is to bank on their players and the massive divide in skills between new and long standing players. Seems to me they are no longer interested in making the game enjoyable for new corps or new players. If they don't have our best interests at hand, then the numbers will continue to decline, simple.
Dirty Forum Alt
Forum Alts Anonymous
#446 - 2016-07-29 20:17:27 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Why not stiffer penalties to security status at trade hubs? Doesn't make sense in a story fashion that a trade system would allow such a threat to its existence. Feels like a lot of what CCP does is to bank on their players and the massive divide in skills between new and long standing players. Seems to me they are no longer interested in making the game enjoyable for new corps or new players. If they don't have our best interests at hand, then the numbers will continue to decline, simple.

TBH CCP has never much cared for the centralized trade hubs - they are very hard on the game servers. So good luck with that one.... If anything they are more likely to lower security there to push people to spread out =P

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool. They lay. They rotted. They turned Around occasionally. Bits of flesh dropped off them from Time to time. And sank into the pool's mire. They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings (Sussex)

Cerius Lennar
O S I R I S
#447 - 2016-07-29 20:22:55 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

TBH CCP has never much cared for the centralized trade hubs - they are very hard on the game servers. So good luck with that one.... If anything they are more likely to lower security there to push people to spread out =P

Spread out would be nicer yes, but logically how we function as a society in real life, it wouldn't reorganize that way. Another trade hub would just emerge, with the same problems.
Dirty Forum Alt
Forum Alts Anonymous
#448 - 2016-07-29 20:24:14 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

Spread out would be nicer yes, but logically how we function as a society in real life, it wouldn't reorganize that way. Another trade hub would just emerge, with the same problems.

Agreed, which is why they don't do that.

But my point is the trade hubs are purely a player invention, quietly disliked by CCP. Not a CCP invention that the game lore requires them to protect with higher security.

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool. They lay. They rotted. They turned Around occasionally. Bits of flesh dropped off them from Time to time. And sank into the pool's mire. They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings (Sussex)

Paranoid Loyd
#449 - 2016-07-29 20:29:20 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
a player invention
Nah, it's just human nature.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#450 - 2016-07-29 20:30:42 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:

War decs are a mechanic to allow for legal fighting in HS. Always has been, and hopefully always will be. So that is why they are allowed in trade hubs. Basically it is like a bribe to CONCORD so that they won't respond when one person in a war shoots one or more of the people that have declared war on.

As for the SP divide between new and old players that has always been here. The nature of this game though is that you have to find your own solutions to the problems you encounter in the game. Yes, a 100 million SP character is likely going to have an advantage over you based on SP. However, that same 100 million SP character will have a serious problem with 3-4 5-6 million SP characters. Working with others is one of your best ways around these problems. Having at least 1 buddy in game allows you to have a scout...and same for him. Which can be a significant advantage in certain circumstances. Learning the mechanics of the game is another thing you should be working on. Even the PvP mechanics that way, even if you do not want to PvP you'll understand how it works will make it easier for you to deal with people in PvP situations.

You have to find ways to deal with obstacles in the game...obstacles that come from other players. That is the way Eve has always been and hopefully always will be.

Cerius Lennar
O S I R I S
#451 - 2016-07-29 20:33:31 UTC
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Dirty Forum Alt wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

Agreed, which is why they don't do that.

But my point is the trade hubs are purely a player invention, quietly disliked by CCP. Not a CCP invention that the game lore requires them to protect with higher security.

Ok, then trade hubs aside, higher penalties for .8 and above systems. From a new player standpoint, which we are discussing, this is a problem just in general, which just so happens to exist in trade hubs as well. If it's supposed to be Hi-Sec, it's not so high. Currently, if you are the ganker, you have massive advantage, with little penalty.

Why is it not an act of aggression to scan someones ship in hi-sec? Something to give new people a chance, where we have nothing at the moment, absolutely nothing.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#452 - 2016-07-29 20:36:28 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:

Ok, then trade hubs aside, higher penalties for .8 and above systems. From a new player standpoint, which we are discussing, this is a problem just in general, which just so happens to exist in trade hubs as well. If it's supposed to be Hi-Sec, it's not so high. Currently, if you are the ganker, you have massive advantage, with little penalty.

Why is it not an act of aggression to scan someones ship in hi-sec? Something to give new people a chance, where we have nothing at the moment, absolutely nothing.

It is not up to CCP to deal with these kinds of problems in game. It is up to you.

Go to the home page for the game. It says,

BUILD YOUR DREAMS
WRECK THEIR DREAMS

Asking CCP to make it harder to do the second one is contrary to what this game is about.

As for scanning...it does not harm your ship nor prevent it from functioning normally. Why should that be an act of aggression?

Caco De'mon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#453 - 2016-07-29 20:38:25 UTC
Cerius Lennar wrote:

I have zero problem with 0.8 and up being hardcore HiSec for new players...just as long as CCP removes the ability to live and farm PLEX via mining there...

You CANNOT have it both ways.

*"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

Cerius Lennar
O S I R I S
#454 - 2016-07-29 20:38:31 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

War decs are a mechanic to allow for legal fighting in HS. Always has been, and hopefully always will be. So that is why they are allowed in trade hubs. Basically it is like a bribe to CONCORD so that they won't respond when one person in a war shoots one or more of the people that have declared war on.

As for the SP divide between new and old players that has always been here. The nature of this game though is that you have to find your own solutions to the problems you encounter in the game. Yes, a 100 million SP character is likely going to have an advantage over you based on SP. However, that same 100 million SP character will have a serious problem with 3-4 5-6 million SP characters. Working with others is one of your best ways around these problems. Having at least 1 buddy in game allows you to have a scout...and same for him. Which can be a significant advantage in certain circumstances. Learning the mechanics of the game is another thing you should be working on. Even the PvP mechanics that way, even if you do not want to PvP you'll understand how it works will make it easier for you to deal with people in PvP situations.

You have to find ways to deal with obstacles in the game...obstacles that come from other players. That is the way Eve has always been and hopefully always will be.

They are a little more than obstacles. Please share with me a solution to our corp being power blocked by Marmite and Archetype to the point where members don't even want to play the game anymore. We have been dec'd constantly and it will be allowed to continue until CCP loses more players. Please, I would love to know a solution.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#455 - 2016-07-29 20:39:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Actually its funny, I sat down and analysed various things, this wreck EHP debacle, CCP Falcon's amazing real life consequences post and then his frenzied locking of posts afterwards. The complete mess in terms of mechanics that actually totally benefit the gankers. The result that there is a load of fail players at the top who use the mechanics to slaughter and scam and destroy new players.

I wanted Eve to succeed in spite of all this, and hoped that they could turn it around, but I cannot see it.

CCP got so many things right with this game but they failed because of stupidity and arrogance, the first one was buffing destroyer DPS and then leaving mining ships with the tank of a wet paper bag. All that did was lose a mass of hisec players, when I realised this I started going on the forums to say what the hell are you doing, but they just ploughed on oblivious because at that time they were attracting new players and for some reason they did not analyse what was happening. Then it hit them very late in the day, or too late in the day to be honest and they suddenly adjusted the mining ships. But the damage was done, this was followed up CCP Falcon allowing Hyperdunking which was just crazy.

The war dec system has turned into blanket war deck approach to get people enough targets who fly through pipes and visit hubs, it is as boring as hell. People get a war dec they log out for a week, they drop crop or they roll corps, its just so naff.

In 0.0 we have people with BLOP's leaving AFK cloaky campers in systems 24/24 7/7, people get dropped then decide to stop logging in. The impact of this was massively increased by SP injectors that enabled the campers to create clean full skill toons and of course with no watch list you can no longer control risk with the hot droppers.

It seems that Eve is moving from one ill thought out idea to the next which deepen these problems and yet the decisions are directed by a group of players who do such things like the wreck EHP to directly benefit themselves.

In affect there is a reduction in players because CCP have screwed up, they lost track of getting the balance right, they allowed the people at the top of the game to over fish the new and lower level players with unbalanced mechanics and this is the sorry state that the game is in now.

Add to this the simple fact it is an old game and that new games are coming along who seem to have a better attitude to dealing with meta gaming and rubbish like that and Eve is seen to be out of sync..

Those players who want to create something like an new corp or alliance will find the risk of getting a corp thief or spy in so high that they run the risk of losing everything by theft or by intel that results in the loss of their most expensive assets. Many people say what is the point, there is no way to control accounts, CCP just accept again that newer people are there to be robbed or blasted by veterans with multiple accounts and spy alts to burn.

The problem is total complacency, naivety and incompetence.

And yet there is so much right with this game.

Major issues that need to be sorted:

Actual consequences for ganking in hisec, not the laughable ones we have now
Sorting out the rules on loot scooping so that people cannot avoid consequences
Stop being naive when taking advice from veteran players with vested interests in their own gameplay
Work on the war dec system so that both sides are not alienated
Remove AFK gameplay that froces people to not login, or do something about the ease of dropping people like a delay on cyno's
Link accounts, just do it.

Eve is in a terrible state, that is my opinion.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#456 - 2016-07-29 20:46:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Cerius Lennar wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

They are a little more than obstacles. Please share with me a solution to our corp being power blocked by Marmite and Archetype to the point where members don't even want to play the game anymore. We have been dec'd constantly and it will be allowed to continue until CCP loses more players. Please, I would love to know a solution.

Move. No really. Move to where they are not. They are not going to hunt you down because...well now it is a PITA.

How many war decs does Marmite have right now? 150? How many people in those corps and alliances? Let us say on average 20 people (BTW, my entire alliance has been decced by Marmite). That means they'd have to try and find 3,000 characters. And since they cannot use the watchlist anymore to find out when you are online, that means they'd have to run locator agents on all 3,000 pilots. Then go and try to find out if they are online. So Marmite will likely be in a trade hub or roaming the pipes between trade hubs.

Go to systems other than those and you can avoid them.

If you need to buy stuff, consider an alt on your account. Keep that alt in his noob corp and park him in your preferred trade hub. Set the guys war deccing you to terrible standings so you can see them in local (good luck though if you pick Jita). This way you can see if the war targets are there (and with Marmite they probably are). You can also use your alt to buy stuff and have it shipped to what ever HS system you are in via Red Frog Freight. Your alt can then contract it to your main.

Edit: To be quite clear, war decs have already been nerfed. Now you need to adapt to survive. Moving is probably your best bet.

Lex Gabinia
Res Repetundae
#457 - 2016-07-29 20:51:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Lex Gabinia
Cerius Lennar wrote:

From your corp description (which shows 50 members by the way):

"Change the face of EvE.

We are a group of players that enjoys all aspects of EvE; PvE and PvP. We run ops for Mining, Missions, Exploration/Wormholes, Small-Gang Roams, and plans for a move to null once our ranks are properly filled.

-TS3
-Ore Buy Back
-Ship Replacement Program
-Training in all areas
-Group Ops"

How about making Marmite or Arcehetype the subject of your "Small-Gang Roams" or "Group Ops". I also see by the war report that you have lost zero (0) ships to any of your wars. <--- That should say current wars (my mistake). I see that you have lost ships in finished wars and even killed some of theirs - good show on that!

It seems to me that some percentage of your 50 members could jump in some small cheap ships and make their life a bit miserable so perhaps they might find it a losing proposition.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#458 - 2016-07-29 20:55:20 UTC
Lex Gabinia wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

From your corp description (which shows 50 members by the way):

"Change the face of EvE.

We are a group of players that enjoys all aspects of EvE; PvE and PvP. We run ops for Mining, Missions, Exploration/Wormholes, Small-Gang Roams, and plans for a move to null once our ranks are properly filled.

-TS3
-Ore Buy Back
-Ship Replacement Program
-Training in all areas
-Group Ops"

How about making Marmite or Arcehetype the subject of your "Small-Gang Roams" or "Group Ops". I also see by the war report that you have lost zero (0) ships to any of your wars.

It seems to me that some percentage of your 50 members could jump in some small cheap ships and make their life a bit miserable so perhaps they might find it a losing proposition.

But he might also go and look at your killboard and your spiffing history with war decs and think WTF!!!

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#459 - 2016-07-29 20:55:48 UTC
Caco De'mon wrote:
Cerius Lennar wrote:

I have zero problem with 0.8 and up being hardcore HiSec for new players...just as long as CCP removes the ability to live and farm PLEX via mining there...

You CANNOT have it both ways.

Oh it would likley be that way without CCP doing anything. People would move to those systems and they'd be over-farmed in short order leaving everyone crying about how unfair it all is....even though CCP is giving them what they asked for.

Again the problem is people just think in terms of one variable at a time. "CCP make war decs more expensive!!!" The thought process is almost surely: more expensive war decs will mean less war decs.

Well...okay IF YOU HOLD ALL OTHER FACTORS CONSTANT. But in reality, those other factors are not constant. There is nothing to prevent a war dec corp from responding along another dimension....such as banding together and finding income sources not open to them as small independent corps/alliances and keeping right on deccing left right and center.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#460 - 2016-07-29 20:57:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Amazingly enough I agree with Teckos on something the more expensive war dec fees made wars more pointless and less interesting. The best wars were small new groups having a go at each other, that content has just dried up to a sad degree.