These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

- Proposal of Ship Scanning as Hostile Act Resolution -

Author
Aurelius Oshidashi
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#81 - 2016-07-27 06:56:23 UTC
For at least the coming months, I have a direct interest in making gankers life hard. It will help my industry operations. However, I don't want to destroy this game by taking the coolest element out of it, being the danger of flying in space.

I've been ganked while afk and have been super pissed because of it, then accepted this is the game, then soon after got ganked again. Then I used my anger to advocate for aggressive countermeasures against gankers, like starting an alliance to f u c k them up. That was too great of an endeavour, but within 24 hours after the gank I realised I actually love being scared shitless when undocking my ship. It's what makes this game interesting, it's what makes me think about new strategies to counter gankers. I want to thank CODE or whatever terrorists ganked me for letting me enjoy the game even more.

So please don't nerf ganking. Keep EvE dangerous and don't make it a theme park for softies.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#82 - 2016-07-27 07:08:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Aurelius Oshidashi wrote:
For at least the coming months, I have a direct interest in making gankers life hard. It will help my industry operations. However, I don't want to destroy this game by taking the coolest element out of it, being the danger of flying in space.

I've been ganked while afk and have been super pissed because of it, then accepted this is the game, then soon after got ganked again. Then I used my anger to advocate for aggressive countermeasures against gankers, like starting an alliance to f u c k them up. That was too great of an endeavour, but within 24 hours after the gank I realised I actually love being scared shitless when undocking my ship. It's what makes this game interesting, it's what makes me think about new strategies to counter gankers. I want to thank CODE or whatever terrorists ganked me for letting me enjoy the game even more.

So please don't nerf ganking. Keep EvE dangerous and don't make it a theme park for softies.

What exactly do you mean by nerfing ganking? And the use of the words theme park and softies made me laugh, get away with you...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#83 - 2016-07-27 07:39:25 UTC
Knitram Relik wrote:
No. Double wrap yer stuffs if you don't want people to know what you've got.

And grow a pair, this is Eve.

Yes, I too liked to be ganked. Nowadays, people will gank you just to be damn sure that double wrapped cargo is not valuable.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Elmund Egivand
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2016-07-27 07:47:37 UTC
I must try double-wrapping 1 unit of tritanium and park a freighter carrying the stuff outside Jita 4-4 and see what happens.

A Minmatar warship is like a rusting Beetle with 500 horsepower Cardillac engines in the rear, armour plating bolted to chassis and a M2 Browning stuck on top.

Aurelius Oshidashi
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2016-07-27 08:16:20 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

What exactly do you mean by nerfing ganking? And the use of the words theme park and softies made me laugh, get away with you...

Nerfing ganking means having CCP take measures aimed at decreasing or eliminating ganking. I consider the emotion that comes with being ganked as a good driver for playing this game.

With softies I mean people that dont use one of the many ways to counter ganking, but instead call for CCP to eliminate or nerf it through the forums. With theme park I mean an environment in high sec that is almost 100% safe.

I've only been playing on an active subscription for a bit over 6 months, so please correct me where needed, I feel these forums are mostly populated by quite experienced players. I mostly absorb and learn, but all these threads calling on CCP to make high safer got me off a bit, I feel a gankfree high sec wouldn't make this game better.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#86 - 2016-07-27 08:39:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Dracvlad wrote:

Nerfing ganking means having CCP take measures aimed at decreasing or eliminating ganking. I consider the emotion that comes with being ganked as a good driver for playing this game.

With softies I mean people that dont use one of the many ways to counter ganking, but instead call for CCP to eliminate or nerf it through the forums. With theme park I mean an environment in high sec that is almost 100% safe.

I've only been playing on an active subscription for a bit over 6 months, so please correct me where needed, I feel these forums are mostly populated by quite experienced players. I mostly absorb and learn, but all these threads calling on CCP to make high safer got me off a bit, I feel a gankfree high sec wouldn't make this game better.

First of all ganking is always going to exist in this game contrary to how the HTFU crowd like to say otherwise, what they mean when they say nerf ganking is anything that makes it more difficult, even when it is to remove something that was massively to their advantage.

Lets take a few examples of what people call nerfing ganking, CCP decided to change the DCU II to a passive modules, which you do not switch on, so they adjusted the structures on various ships including freighters that could not use it. And the gankers cried nerf.

Another one, no consequence bumping to hold people in space, there is now going to be a timer, do you call that a nerf to ganking or an adjustment of a poor mechanic.

At the moment they scoop loot by parking a DST next to a wreck and their freighter, incomes a noob ship which scoops the loot into the DST fleet hanger, the freighter pilot scoops that into his hanger, the noob ship goes suspect and can be shot. Would adjusting that be a nerf to ganking or a nerf to loot scooping.

When people talk about such things, they get accused of wanting to nerf ganking, when in fact a lot of the time they are talking about poor mechanic which remove consequences.

At one point the wrecks all had the saem EHP, which is kinda silly, the AG guys were shooting wrecks so they could not scoop the loot, suddenly and very quickly CCP changed it so the wrecks had more EHP based on the ship size, the AG players said, wow, they acted fast on that, makes sense however, but is a pity and moved on. Who is being a softy here?

Hisec is not safe, ganking and war decs are always going to be in this game, most of the forum fights are around mechanic and balance changes that make it less of a cake walk or less like taking candy from a baby.

For example this beauty from this thread, Gankers use scouts, some use frigates and they can be ganked with a Catalyst, Aaaarg and his Smurf alts use Thrashers to scout which cannot be taken down by a Catalyst before the gate guns blow the Catalyst up, you have to use a plated Thorax. I don't agree with the proposal put forward by the OP, but I understand his frustration.

Currently there are three threads in the forums where gankers are moaning about the Skiff because they are not able to up their game to gank them. They have the ability to gank them if they work as a team and if they have the will, but they do not and are calling for a nerf to yield and tank. If you are interested in fighting a good start would be not to parrot their baseless propaganda but to learn the reality, as well as blowing up their scouts and gank ships, if you do this enough you might then learn just how easy they have it in some areas.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#87 - 2016-07-27 09:10:46 UTC
When I've had to haul stuff to or from a trade hub, I always assume that I'll be scanned and not just cargo-scanned either.
It is so useful that juicier, softer targets are chosen.
Aurelius Oshidashi
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2016-07-27 09:17:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Aurelius Oshidashi
Damn, my reply disappeared, will rewrite later...

Edit:
Basically I wrote that I don't have enough knowledge to judge all you wrote about the mechanics Dravclad.

I just want EvE to be super dangerous, even in high sec, but I also feel the risk/effort/profit principle should be applied in all cases.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#89 - 2016-07-27 09:19:23 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

Lets take a few examples of what people call nerfing ganking, CCP decided to change the DCU II to a passive modules, which you do not switch on, so they adjusted the structures on various ships including freighters that could not use it. And the gankers cried nerf.

Adding the EHP of another freighter to jump freighters already large tank is a hell of a nerf considering these ships couldn't even fit a DCU. Plus the DCU change failed to meet its own goals, the mod is still a must have on everything that fitted them before.

Dracvlad wrote:

Another one, no consequence bumping to hold people in space, there is now going to be a timer, do you call that a nerf to ganking or an adjustment of a poor mechanic.

Both. There were very easy counters to it but the fix isn't game breaking to ganking as you can still use the tactic to get the freighter into position.

Dracvlad wrote:

At the moment they scoop loot by parking a DST next to a wreck and their freighter, incomes a noob ship which scoops the loot into the DST fleet hanger, the freighter pilot scoops that into his hanger, the noob ship goes suspect and can be shot. Would adjusting that be a nerf to ganking or a nerf to loot scooping.

People have yet to explain how you squeeze a freighter worth of cargo into a DST to pull this off.
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#90 - 2016-07-27 09:21:21 UTC
Jarod Garamonde wrote:
What's a "hostile act"?

I define 'hostile act' as: Being in the same constellation as me and not in my fleet/alliance.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#91 - 2016-07-27 10:04:09 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Adding the EHP of another freighter to jump freighters already large tank is a hell of a nerf considering these ships couldn't even fit a DCU. Plus the DCU change failed to meet its own goals, the mod is still a must have on everything that fitted them before.

Dracvlad wrote:

Both. There were very easy counters to it but the fix isn't game breaking to ganking as you can still use the tactic to get the freighter into position.

Dracvlad wrote:

People have yet to explain how you squeeze a freighter worth of cargo into a DST to pull this off.

And there you go an example of what I said. He also does some obfuscation on their use of DST's

Watch and learn

https://www.twitch.tv/jason_kusion

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#92 - 2016-07-27 10:24:49 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

And there you go an example of what I said. He also does some obfuscation on their use of DST's

Watch and learn

You link to an offline channel..

Ok lets make this simple. How do you squeeze 1,000,000 m3 package through a 60,000 m3 hold?
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#93 - 2016-07-27 10:32:48 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Watch and learn

Ok lets make this simple. How do you squeeze 1,000,000 m3 package through a 60,000 m3 hold?

Well he is not active at the moment, must have gorged himself on too many fat freighters and the boredom from how easy it was finally got to him.

You know how this works, stop playing a dumb troll...

Gimme Sake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#94 - 2016-07-27 10:40:48 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
PLEASE ALSO BRING BACK PLEASURE HUBS AND QUAFE GIRLS.
And this veteran retirement station you promised.

IBTL.

I vote for that.

"Never not blob!" ~ Plato

Galaxy Chicken
Galaxy Farm Carebear Repurposing
#95 - 2016-07-27 13:56:37 UTC
These threads are greatly entertaining and I advocate for the creation of more of them.

One might point out that looting mechanics would be less of an issue if anti-ganking weren't so fail at preventing ganks.
Nomad Willis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#96 - 2016-07-27 14:47:19 UTC
Either create a mod or add a bonus to certain ships that doesn't allow you to be scanned without you seeing who. They can scan you all they want but if you are fit for it, then you will see them scanning you.

At least gives you some insight on who is peeking in your "window"
Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#97 - 2016-07-27 15:07:18 UTC
Nomad Willis wrote:
Either create a mod or add a bonus to certain ships that doesn't allow you to be scanned without you seeing who. They can scan you all they want but if you are fit for it, then you will see them scanning you.

There is a scanning effect in space if the scanner has a passive targeting array fitted to avoid yellow box.
The number of people for whom this item is a mystery is upsetting.
I recommend newbros to fit passive targeting and ship scanner to look at people's fits, to get ideas or see mods they might never have thought of.
Cargo scanners also let them know just how stupidly valuable some of those ships going past really are.

It's impossible to completely hide that you are scanning ships, so that's out, too.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2016-07-27 15:11:13 UTC
zus wrote:
Proposal of Ship Scanning as Hostile Act in any solar system, pass the Resolution

Cargo Scanners / Ship Scanners / Survey Scanners / Probe Scanners use as Hostile Act.

FTFY Big smile

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Nomad Willis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#99 - 2016-07-27 15:41:59 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
Nomad Willis wrote:

There is a scanning effect in space if the scanner has a passive targeting array fitted to avoid yellow box.
The number of people for whom this item is a mystery is upsetting.
I recommend newbros to fit passive targeting and ship scanner to look at people's fits, to get ideas or see mods they might never have thought of.
Cargo scanners also let them know just how stupidly valuable some of those ships going past really are.

It's impossible to completely hide that you are scanning ships, so that's out, too.

Good to know, but undocking from trade hubs tends to be a visual crap show. Half the time there are 10 other ships all dog piled while everyone tries to warp off. The scanner is god knows where in relation to your undock postion. How would you know, even if you did see it, that it was you they were targeting. Its not like the eye molest you for very long... quick look and on to the next guy.

My point is mostly around tools for both sides. Information and a bit of luck is all that a target really has.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#100 - 2016-07-27 16:16:30 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

Watch and learn

You know how this works, stop playing a dumb troll...

I know its impossible.