These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

- Proposal of Ship Scanning as Hostile Act Resolution -

Author
zus
TxivYawg
#61 - 2016-07-26 19:47:44 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:

Your solution is to not be stupid.

You're asking pigs to not get muddy.

TwistedShocked
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#62 - 2016-07-26 19:50:52 UTC
Drago Shouna wrote:

I can only presume

I wouldnt.
Dirty Forum Alt
Forum Alts Anonymous
#63 - 2016-07-26 19:56:46 UTC
zus wrote:
Proposal of Ship Scanning as Hostile Act in any solar system, pass the Resolution

Cargo Scanners / Ship Scanners use as Hostile Act.

I know I'm late to the party here, but this reminded me of a fond memory:

Ironically about a week into EVE I got a fancy new module called a "ship scanner" - and I tried it out on a random passerby.

As it turned out, this passerby was a member of a corp called "Interimo" - which was in an alliance called "End of Line." (though they are probably better known for their time in Privateer Alliance). In any case it was one of the big wardeccing groups of the time...

He took it as a hostile act...and thus began my first war-dec in EVE.

Good times.

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool. They lay. They rotted. They turned Around occasionally. Bits of flesh dropped off them from Time to time. And sank into the pool's mire. They also smelt a great deal.

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings (Sussex)

Lawrence Lawton
The Lawton School for Pubbies Who Can't Mine Good
Novus Ordo.
#64 - 2016-07-26 20:06:05 UTC
Carebears such as the OP are the greatest existential threat to EVE Online.
They will not be satisfied until they have completely eliminated highsec aggression and turned highsec into a risk-free theme park. That is not what EVE is about.

I believe that the only suitable role of a Carebear is to provide content for gankers.
I counter-propose that we eliminate the Faction Police to make Highsec more attractive to gankers.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Guardians of the Gate
RAZOR Alliance
#65 - 2016-07-26 21:16:14 UTC
Umm.. Im siting here thinking about this and getting ideas. This is generally NOT a good thing but Ill go with it anyway.Twisted

Atm scanning and ganking are quite binary as an equation. There really isnt much more than calculate your dps and their EHP along with value of your ships and your targets drop chance in terms of isk. Once this condition is met you simply lock and fire and that is that. Go sit out your 15 min timer and rinse repeat unless youre low on sec and then you head off to concord station to "reship" sec with tags.

So how can we make it non binary? Scanning modules offer the greatest area to play with this idea as the gank itself is just lock and shoot. We already have a hacking minigame template but what happens if you needed to hack into the ships security system, instead of 'press buttan recieve bacon' style gameplay, and while the hack is going on the other player becomes your opponent in the hacking minigame. You either are racing for the command node itself to attack or defend or the pilot is the defender and the ganker is only the attacker.

This style of interaction would be interesting but tough simply because of the time frames involved in the gank itself. A frieghter warps in 20s or so and a hauler in much less. Being bumped would negate the time frame of course. But a successful attack might mean that the cargo is scanned and can be reported as a target and an unsuccessful attempt would amount to what? Denial of cargo scan? Immunity for bumping? Scanner going suspect?

The only issue at present is the time required to attack/defend such an attempt and it would apply the best to freighters given that issue imo. But basically any idea that makes this interaction non binary would be the best option. Rather than fitting and other BS answers we toss about. Anything to make it more challenging rather than 'push buttan receive bacon.'

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#66 - 2016-07-26 21:23:34 UTC
Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:
Umm.. Im siting here thinking about this and getting ideas. This is generally NOT a good thing but Ill go with it anyway.Twisted

Atm scanning and ganking are quite binary as an equation. There really isnt much more than calculate your dps and their EHP along with value of your ships and your targets drop chance in terms of isk. Once this condition is met you simply lock and fire and that is that. Go sit out your 15 min timer and rinse repeat unless youre low on sec and then you head off to concord station to "reship" sec with tags.

So how can we make it non binary? Scanning modules offer the greatest area to play with this idea as the gank itself is just lock and shoot. We already have a hacking minigame template but what happens if you needed to hack into the ships security system, instead of 'press buttan recieve bacon' style gameplay, and while the hack is going on the other player becomes your opponent in the hacking minigame. You either are racing for the command node itself to attack or defend or the pilot is the defender and the ganker is only the attacker.

This style of interaction would be interesting but tough simply because of the time frames involved in the gank itself. A frieghter warps in 20s or so and a hauler in much less. Being bumped would negate the time frame of course. But a successful attack might mean that the cargo is scanned and can be reported as a target and an unsuccessful attempt would amount to what? Denial of cargo scan? Immunity for bumping? Scanner going suspect?

The only issue at present is the time required to attack/defend such an attempt and it would apply the best to freighters given that issue imo. But basically any idea that makes this interaction non binary would be the best option. Rather than fitting and other BS answers we toss about. Anything to make it more challenging rather than 'push buttan receive bacon.'

Awesome suggestion.

This would be the new fleet tactic to spam opponents screens with hacking Windows.

"Everyone, scan the enemy logi....Now their FC....etc."

Great outcome to 'fix' a non-problem.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Verlyn
Windhau
#67 - 2016-07-26 22:55:28 UTC
Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IQ1Jr-4RM
Dark Lord Trump
0.0 Massive Dynamic
Pandemic Horde
#68 - 2016-07-26 23:45:18 UTC
zus wrote:
Dark Lord Trump wrote:
Explain why? Cargo scanning is completely harmless to the target ship.

What is the motive in their use Question

To see what's inside. What happens next has nothing to do with me. *innocent smile*

I'm going to build a big wall that will keep the Gallente out, and they're going to pay for it!

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#69 - 2016-07-27 00:24:17 UTC
Hisec pvp has never really been my thing.
However, nothing makes me want to go on a cruel ganking spree more than the summer rash of anti-ganking threads.
The idea that such a spree will kill the game is going to need some stats to back it up.
That won't happen.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2016-07-27 02:08:43 UTC
Chopper Rollins wrote:
...summer rash...

There's probably an ointment you can use for that. Check in with your neighborhood pharmacy, they'll be happy to help.
Valkin Mordirc
#71 - 2016-07-27 04:05:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkin Mordirc
Something tells me is a satirical troll. Roll

But still, Can I get a ONE MORE NERF?

EDIT: Maybe not, either he's in it for the long run, or he really believes it.
#DeleteTheWeak
Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2016-07-27 04:07:06 UTC
Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of a ship scanner?

If you want scan immunity, double wrap or blockade runner dude.
Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#73 - 2016-07-27 04:13:20 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
Suggesting cargo scanning is harmless is the same as suggesting bumping a freighter out of alignment is harmless. Neither is currently an aggressive act due to game mechanics but the reality is it only serves one purpose when done on another ship.

aaaannnndddd WRONG.

Ship scanners are used in Armageddons to monitor another ship's capacitor.
Also useful to make sure "is this a cyno ship?"
And if you want to check out the enemy's Augoror fit with a neutral alt before going in deep, you guessed it: ZKill or Shipscanner!
How do we know the container we're about to hack is not worth our trouble? ....

This is really getting ridiculous.

Was CODE right all along? WERE THEY?! ffs man up.
Knitram Relik
Atomic Amish
#74 - 2016-07-27 04:45:26 UTC
No. Double wrap yer stuffs if you don't want people to know what you've got.

And grow a pair, this is Eve.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's really hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#75 - 2016-07-27 05:12:05 UTC
Blockade runner bingo is a thing. Actually no need to double-wrap, just don't afk and use your cloak = happytimes

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#76 - 2016-07-27 05:47:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Methinks this thread will not get locked like the others because its beneficial to the ganker POV, IBNL Shocked

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2016-07-27 06:03:29 UTC
It's actually beneficial to general-purpose intel gathering.

Remember how we spin a yarn about active effort to gather intelligence, as opposed to receiving it automatically, for free, on a silver platter? Well, having to scan for contents is one of the "active effort" category.

Take that away and you have no way of verifying your nose when you smell trap.

The fact that gankers also happen to use this particular module has little to do with anything -- I say the same thing to gankers when they come up with bumping or looting exploits. In this case though ...... You can't ask gankers to "pick their targets more carefully" and then take away the tools to actually do so.

Ima Wreckyou is gonna love this but yea. Basically it's a preposterous idea and it'll get locked as soon as the comedy value runs out methinks.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#78 - 2016-07-27 06:05:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
It's actually beneficial to general-purpose intel gathering.

Remember how we spin a yarn about active effort to gather intelligence, as opposed to receiving it automatically, for free, on a silver platter? Well, having to scan for contents is one of the "active effort" category.

Take that away and you have no way of verifying your nose when you smell trap.

The fact that gankers also happen to use this particular module has little to do with anything -- I say the same thing to gankers when they come up with bumping or looting exploits. In this case though ...... You can't ask gankers to "pick their targets more carefully" and then take away the tools to actually do so.

Ima Wreckyou is gonna love this but yea. Basically it's a preposterous idea and it'll get locked as soon as the comedy value runs out methinks.

Well one issue I have is I have actually gone and ganked a few, perhaps if CCP could remove gate gun assistance to ships that have used that module I would be happy. TwistedEvil

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Brokk Witgenstein
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2016-07-27 06:11:03 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

Well one issue I have is I have actually gone and ganked a few, perhaps if CCP could remove gate gun assistance to ships that have used that module I would be happy. TwistedEvil

To be fair ... second whine thread in two days makes me want to fit up a throwaway Thorax and vent some anger towards this excessive tearjerking. I realize all too well what that would make me. But seriously they got to stop or I swear I will.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#80 - 2016-07-27 06:31:05 UTC
Brokk Witgenstein wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

To be fair ... second whine thread in two days makes me want to fit up a throwaway Thorax and vent some anger towards this excessive tearjerking. I realize all too well what that would make me. But seriously they got to stop or I swear I will.

Go and do it, but as a test, try shooting some ganker scouts Evil