These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Macintosh

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wine support for Mac

First post First post
Author
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#301 - 2016-07-19 16:18:13 UTC
This most likely has been asked and answered, but...15 pages.....
Every time I start up eve I get asked if I want to allow wineserver to connect. How do I stop those requests?

In System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Firewall, I have wineserver listed as "allow incoming connections". What else is needed?

Oh, And CCP Snorlax, are we going to get command-click mapped to secondary click? I tend to fumble finger the double-tap sufficiently often that having command-click mapped to secondary click would be quite helpful.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#302 - 2016-07-19 16:22:08 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
Every time I start up eve I get asked if I want to allow wineserver to connect. How do I stop those requests?

In System Preferences, Security and Privacy, Firewall, I have wineserver listed as "allow incoming connections". What else is needed?

Oh, And CCP Snorlax, are we going to get command-click mapped to secondary click? I tend to fumble finger the double-tap sufficiently often that having command-click mapped to secondary click would be quite helpful.

I haven't seen this, and don't recall other reports about this. I need to investigate and ask around inhouse.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Rahl Gryphon
Ovistavin Enterprises
#303 - 2016-07-19 17:06:27 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:

I haven't seen this, and don't recall other reports about this. I need to investigate and ask around inhouse.

I haven't reported it, but I have seen this as well. For me the message pops up when my second client launches. Once or twice I've pressed Deny to see what would happen and didn't notice any problems with that client.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#304 - 2016-07-19 17:21:25 UTC
I'll amend my first statement: It does not happen every time. But it happens alot. Maybe it happens when something in wineserver changes?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Rahl Gryphon
Ovistavin Enterprises
#305 - 2016-07-20 04:34:13 UTC
I was incorrect in my last post. It's not when my second client launches, it's after I pick which character to log in as.
eVRiAL
Reveka.
Bad-Touch
#306 - 2016-07-20 09:50:15 UTC  |  Edited by: eVRiAL
CCP Snorlax wrote:
eVRiAL wrote:
CCP guys, do you ever played on Mac client? It crashes with buffer overflow every second alt-tab I make.
Another issue, character customization - after selection of clothing shader effects disable completely and everything except eyes turns black.

Yes, we do, but it may not be on a system exactly like yours, or with the same settings as you have.

Please give us more details by filing a bug report and we will investigate.

Are you playing under Wine? Many players report improved stability after switching to the Wine wrapper as described in the first post in this thread.

Thanks, switched to Wine and everything is back to normal, FPS and jump gate lag is excellent on highest settings. Hardware: MBP 15" retina, latest OS X.
Why in universe this dog **** Cider is the default wrapper?
Alicia Dnari
Dnari Mining and Manufacturing
#307 - 2016-07-20 11:10:18 UTC
Well, for one thing, some of us haven't been able to get Wine to work.

I run Windows 10 in Parallels on this Mac, for access to things like EveMon and EVE-IPH. In theory, that shouldn't cause problems with either Cider or Wine, especially when I'm not actually running Windows, but I dunno, maybe it does with Wine.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#308 - 2016-07-20 11:26:45 UTC
Alicia Dnari wrote:
Well, for one thing, some of us haven't been able to get Wine to work.

I run Windows 10 in Parallels on this Mac, for access to things like EveMon and EVE-IPH. In theory, that shouldn't cause problems with either Cider or Wine, especially when I'm not actually running Windows, but I dunno, maybe it does with Wine.

I'd like to hear more details about why Wine doesn't work for you. Most players so far report improved stability and performance.

Can you give it another try and report back with details of your issue? Remember that you can log in to Singularity, our test server, if you are concerned about crashing at a bad time.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Alicia Dnari
#309 - 2016-07-20 15:33:49 UTC
I tried it again. It crashed on startup again. This was in loglite: Exefile SHUTDOWN Crashed (0x80000101) for b1056508, minidump written and uploaded in C:\users\blackshoe\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\ce6268e5-0b57-45df-86a0-908df151402a.dmp but I haven't been able to find that file. I did submit a bug report a few minutes ago.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#310 - 2016-07-20 16:04:19 UTC
Alicia Dnari wrote:
I tried it again. It crashed on startup again. This was in loglite: Exefile SHUTDOWN Crashed (0x80000101) for b1056508, minidump written and uploaded in C:\users\blackshoe\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\ce6268e5-0b57-45df-86a0-908df151402a.dmp but I haven't been able to find that file. I did submit a bug report a few minutes ago.

Thanks, saw the report. Could you attach full logs from LogLite?

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#311 - 2016-07-20 16:38:33 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Alicia Dnari wrote:

Thanks, saw the report. Could you attach full logs from LogLite?

One thing to try - go to the shared cache folder (from the View menu, Reveal in Finder, Shared Cache) and delete the wine and wineenv folders, then restart the launcher and try again.

I appreciate your patience in helping me track this down.

Alicia Dnari
#312 - 2016-07-21 01:21:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Alicia Dnari
Okay. I deleted the wine and wineenv folders as you suggested, and restarted the launcher. Same crash.

I'll see if I can attach the log file to the bug report.

Editadd: log file attached to bug report. Are those things public?
Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#313 - 2016-07-21 02:15:50 UTC
Alicia Dnari wrote:
Okay. I deleted the wine and wineenv folders as you suggested, and restarted the launcher. Same crash.

I'll see if I can attach the log file to the bug report.

Editadd: log file attached to bug report. Are those things public?

Bug reports are not public as far as I know. Just make sure you

Attn: CCP Snorlax so the bug crews forwards it to him faster.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Grella Khurelem
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#314 - 2016-07-21 17:14:53 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Grella Khurelem wrote:
Wine looks fine, but there are problems in a windowed environment that forced me to switch back so I can use multiple clients.

The problems are with every button on the screen. The location of where they are activated seem to be off by a half-inch or so on the screen. I'm assuming that this is related to the window bar, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've also not been able to get multiple clients to run at the same time either, but I'll need to try that again another day.

I've noticed this intermittently when running on my laptop, but haven't yet seen a reliable repro, making it hard to track down. When this has happened, resizing the window has resolved the issue. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a workaround at least.

I will keep an eye on this issue and see if I can fix it. If anyone runs into this and finds a reliable repro case I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I finally played around with Wine and was able to get this fixed with a workaround.

Going back a bit, I have a Mac Mini and a non-Apple monitor. The current Cider client doesn't fit to my screen. Everything works fine, but the EVE time and notifications don't show up on my screen. With Wine, it's the reverse. It is bottom justified, so the Eve menu box and the top of the character photo is covered up by the menu bar on the window.

In the Window menu on Wine, I selected "Zoom" which resized my screen and readjusted the layout. Sometimes it takes a few Zooms, but other times, the screen is top justified and everything works as expected.

If anything, I'm guessing the non Apple monitor is the cause of this problem.

Now that that's working OK-ish, the issue I have now is with the zoomed windows. The windows want to stick to the top of the screen. If I try to move them around, they just bounce back to the top of the screen.

Amarisen Gream
The.Kin.of.Jupiter
#315 - 2016-07-21 21:57:29 UTC
Grella Khurelem wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Grella Khurelem wrote:
Wine looks fine, but there are problems in a windowed environment that forced me to switch back so I can use multiple clients.

The problems are with every button on the screen. The location of where they are activated seem to be off by a half-inch or so on the screen. I'm assuming that this is related to the window bar, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've also not been able to get multiple clients to run at the same time either, but I'll need to try that again another day.

I've noticed this intermittently when running on my laptop, but haven't yet seen a reliable repro, making it hard to track down. When this has happened, resizing the window has resolved the issue. I know this isn't ideal, but it's a workaround at least.

I will keep an eye on this issue and see if I can fix it. If anyone runs into this and finds a reliable repro case I'd be very interested to hear about it.

I finally played around with Wine and was able to get this fixed with a workaround.

Going back a bit, I have a Mac Mini and a non-Apple monitor. The current Cider client doesn't fit to my screen. Everything works fine, but the EVE time and notifications don't show up on my screen. With Wine, it's the reverse. It is bottom justified, so the Eve menu box and the top of the character photo is covered up by the menu bar on the window.

In the Window menu on Wine, I selected "Zoom" which resized my screen and readjusted the layout. Sometimes it takes a few Zooms, but other times, the screen is top justified and everything works as expected.

If anything, I'm guessing the non Apple monitor is the cause of this problem.

Now that that's working OK-ish, the issue I have now is with the zoomed windows. The windows want to stick to the top of the screen. If I try to move them around, they just bounce back to the top of the screen.

Are you in full-screen or window-mode?

If your in window mode you should be able to grab a corner and resize with wine version.

"The Lord loosed upon them his fierce anger All of his fury and rage. He dispatched against them a band of Avenging Angels" - The Scriptures, Book II, Apocalypse 10:1

#NPCLivesMatter #Freetheboobs

Eva Yves
Doomheim
#316 - 2016-07-22 11:48:11 UTC
i dont know what happen, but my graphics are like 100.000.000 times better, and the game is fluid, looks like a new game :p
Dan Ende
Royal Caldari Air Force
#317 - 2016-07-23 06:09:16 UTC
I had a problem several months ago (crashing and locking up) but found that by switching to Wine it cured that completely. At first I had a problem of it always asking to allow Wine and then opening it from the dock but on the next update, that suddenly disappeared. As soon as I selected my char I was in Eve.

However, with the Tuesday 19 th update the problem is back.

I am on a late 2015 Imac with Retina

I launch Eve and the char selections screen comes up and I choose my character
then the screen defaults to my desktop with a box WINE is attmepting to connect
allow or deny

I choose allow and then have to select the wine (screen image) in the dock. and then it opens

the game run perfectly after that

so it seems something changed somewhere, but where?
Dan Ende
Royal Caldari Air Force
#318 - 2016-07-23 06:23:12 UTC
Dan Ende wrote:
I had a problem several months ago (crashing and locking up) but found that by switching to Wine it cured that completely. At first I had a problem of it always asking to allow Wine and then opening it from the dock but on the next update, that suddenly disappeared. As soon as I selected my char I was in Eve.

However, with the Tuesday 19 th update the problem is back.

I am on a late 2015 Imac with Retina

I launch Eve and the char selections screen comes up and I choose my character
then the screen defaults to my desktop with a box WINE is attmepting to connect
allow or deny

I choose allow and then have to select the wine (screen image) in the dock. and then it opens

the game run perfectly after that

so it seems something changed somewhere, but where?

RESOLVED

for some reason there were two Wineserver entries in the allow list. One pointed to a lone Wineserver in one folder and the other pointed to a folder with multiple Wine files. I could change the one in the grep folder to 'ALLOW' but the other was locked on blocked. So I deleted the wineserver it was pointing to.

That cured my problem. I now go seamlessly from the char selection screen into Eve. I don't know where that errant copy of Wineserver came from, but will look for it again if the problem re-occurs
Vayaa Yvorme
Iron Whales
Goonswarm Federation
#319 - 2016-07-23 06:31:48 UTC
Reporting massive framerate drops once I switch to wine.

As long as I am using Cider, all works smooth at high fps but as soon as I switch to wine, my framerate drops into the unplayable even though all graphical settings remain the same.

When I switch back to Cider, all works well. Tried switching around between them and always the same issue that can be experienced. Is this known to happen on some machines?

On El Capitan here with a i7 Quad Core and 16GB of Ram.

All the best,
Vayaa
Zen Chaser
Better Off Red
Unspoken Alliance.
#320 - 2016-07-24 12:50:48 UTC
I have searched and can't seem to find an answer to this question. Does someone know which of the wine versions we should be using?

I also want to add my thank you for the support Mac is getting.

o7