These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What was Eve like pre-2008?

Author
Kaivarian Coste
Whale Patrol
#1 - 2016-07-15 20:43:59 UTC
Decline is starting to turn into RAPID over the last few months! I'm wondering what Eve was like before 2008 when it had a lower population? Was the game still fun? And how can CCP stop this decline? Or is it too late?
Denavit
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2016-07-15 20:49:50 UTC
I think ppl need to start to play togheter and create more alliances, a lot of player just expend their time in high sec carebearing, and dont even try to move to null sec, with fozy sov is easier to gain new terrain than before, yo don´t need a powerful force, but you do need a good strategy and organization, thats where the fun is. also give more benefits to null than high sec, but wayy more, so ppl would take the risk to move and conquer null.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2016-07-15 20:50:28 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Kaivarian Coste wrote:
I'm wondering what Eve was like before 2008 when it had a lower population? Was the game still fun? And how can CCP stop this decline? Or is it too late?

It was more blood thirsty.

Ganking was cheaper. Like... MUCH cheaper (you could suicide gank in a battleship and come away with insurance)

More people actually wanted to learn how to defend themselves.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#4 - 2016-07-15 21:29:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
ShahFluffers wrote:
Kaivarian Coste wrote:
Decline is starting to turn into RAPID over the last few months! I'm wondering what Eve was like before 2008 when it had a lower population? Was the game still fun? And how can CCP stop this decline? Or is it too late?

It was more blood thirsty.

Ganking was cheaper. Like... MUCH cheaper (you could suicide gank in a battleship and come away with insurance)

More people actually wanted to learn how to defend themselves.

Pretty much this ^

Things were a lot harder for new players, and that filtered out a lot of the bads and casuals who only temporarily prop-up the PCU. CCP now thinks those kinds of players are desirable.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Cien Banchiere
Extrinsic Arcadia Distribution
#5 - 2016-07-15 22:11:33 UTC
It's summer. This is called the summer slump.
Igrayne
Alpha Republic - Transcenders of Space and Time
Solyaris Chtonium
#6 - 2016-07-15 22:38:21 UTC

Battleships ranged from 45 million for a Dominix to 80 for a Mega . Battleship gate camps were common and great fun to hit .

You could roam around without hotdrops / ecm / and all the kinds of e-war in the game atm . Basically it was a fun time tbh ..

Eve has become way too complicated and way too expensive for new players .....it's supposed to be a fun game it's way too serious and a lot of new players just dont want the Bs that goes with it....after all there's a f***load of other things to play.
Memphis Baas
#7 - 2016-07-15 22:51:14 UTC
CCP's added a lot of new ships with tricks up their sleeve, and also depots and other things that affect tactics. Fights right now are quite gimmicky, and involve smaller ships.

Before, it was a lot more about DPS vs. tank, no gimmicks. Battleships were popular because they were the highest DPS and tank. Also, numbers (the blob).

The UI, such as it still is, HAS improved a lot. Graphics have improved too, higher resolution ships and station interiors.

Servers handle more people per battle too; I think in the earlier days 600 people would have crashed Jita / any combat node. No TIDI either, just a node crash.
Sol epoch
HELVEGEN
#8 - 2016-07-15 22:51:34 UTC
More fun than now is all I got to say.
Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM
#9 - 2016-07-15 23:38:45 UTC
I actually found it more friendly and less douchery going on. Guys would blow you up sure but most often than not there was an exchange of ideas or tactics or recruitment when it happened rather than the straight to the tears/salt mine mentality we have now. Sure there was a LOT of smack in local but I remember it being a kickable offence to a lot of corps/alliances trying to maintain a different code of ethics which is reminiscent of the WWI fighter pilots and their honor in the skies early on in the war.

Now everyones ganking and its not just a niche thing its mainstream. Its not a how does that guy get away with that? question but a use this guide and do XYZ in 5 mins. But thats also with everything else online. Guides, guides, tutorials everywhere!! Making things min/maxed from the start and if your not "there" youre a noob!! and should feel bad.

I still liked the feeling when I rolled my first toon and the guys from my old forum board told me how brutal the game was flying up to meet them at their home base thinking behind every corner or every jump I was going to get WTFBBQPWNed. Flying and not seeing a soul around and suddenly... LIFE!! But that was my own personal opinion of how space should be... vast, empty and entirely hostile when you do run into something or someone. Unknown, vibrant, alive in the hubs and empire and empty and deadly in the fringes. And thats what it was until the "wild west" got "settled" and now its outpost, outpost, outpost, renters, renters, farmers, afk PvPers staging systems, outpost, renters.... oh look empty system... wait 5 mins oh no life.

Dont get me wrong theres some really cool stuff thats come about in the last half of Eve but itll NEVER be that feeling again. Now Ill sit and talk about it in a station because I have 175mil SP and I need an excuse to log myself in these days.Ugh

Now imo its turning into Universe of Tan..... err Spaceships where if you dont have the isk to "whelp" ships all day youre a noob. Ive seen three distinct PvP related goals in my time; not dying and making the other guy die, or a straight K:D ratio, Isk efficiency, or tossing out standard K:D and making the other guy lose more isk and now the newest one in WoTs style whelping for lolz and the adrenaline high from "encounters" all day every day.

Ive heard established players speak of oh dont worry we lose this stuff a few times a year and well get it back again. Not whelping fleets because of reasons. Yet if you dont engage or commit then youll hear the slinging of "risk adverse carebear!" Yet everyone tries their best to mitigate any real loss and the survivors, those who HTFU and adapted, have done so in extremely efficient ways because that is what humanity does. Its why the west isnt wild anymore. And I lament those days when it was... yet as a vet I am not bitter about this. It is the course of nature to me but I wonder how many other newer players understand this.

So to me early Eve was epic, vast and deadly but it was also very friendly, helpful and fun. Now if feels like a cross between farmville and WoTs. I hang around to chat most days with people but even that has its limits for me.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Roenok Baalnorn
Sadistically Sinister
#10 - 2016-07-16 04:27:04 UTC

Ships: T1 was cheap. I think my first merlin was like 150-200k. Rigs were one size fits all( and needed the resources of large rigs today) so they were almost never fit on T1 cruiser and smaller. My first Raven was about 80 mil i think and a drake was 35-40 mil. Stealth bombers played a different role than they do now. I still have one with cruise launchers on it. faction ships were for the rich. There were a lot fewer types of ships

Modules: faction was for the rich, deadspace was for caps and supers. You could make good money off faction hunting. They were more rare and seem to be a lot more common today. T2 was the standard fit. And meta 4 was often used for fitting problems.

Exploration: You had to carry 53000 probes around with you and scanning was work. I think you even had to scan anoms. Scanning a site down could take 2-5 minutes. Now you can scan one in about 30 seconds.

Skills: Skill queue was 24 hours. You started out with almost no skills. i think my first character started with less than 50k SP. You had accelerated training. You had to pay to upgrade you clone so you could keep an X amount of sp when you died. Around 50 mil sp it started to get really pricey. People didnt death clone jump everywhere like they do now. It seemed like it took forever to get my first 1 mil sp( took me about 2 weeks i think on my newest without injectors)

High sec PVP: Ganking really wasnt a thing. I use to Autopilot everywhere with loot. Just nothing super pricey( less than 500 mil at a time). Hubs were actually pretty safe, you didnt need to make instant undocks in hubs. it was ok if you had to spend an extra 5-10 seconds to align. Wardeccing half of eve wasnt a thing. A corp had one maybe two wardecs at a time. Carebears fought back rather than hid in the dock or moved across empire. High sec pvpers werent nearly as lazy as they are now. Now they are more akin to welfare recipients. They sit in a hub all day and collect a check as people undock because 3/4 of jita is a war target. Pvpers didnt multi box a whole fleet like they do now. They might play a max of 3 accounts at time and 2 were usually just scouts.

Lowsec: Low sec was full of roaming pirates. Most would ransom your ship for a reasonable price. Lowsec was good for small gang pvp and ok for solo. Pirates were more friendly. Your corp could usually move into a constellation and get blues with most of the locals there through agreements. I dont know how much it has changed as the only time i spend in lowsec is for staging into null.

Null: Null use to be empty. My first trip into null i ran late evening US time and i went about 30 jumps deep and only seen maybe 4-5 people in local. A system could maybe support 5 ratters at a time if you were lucky. Most people looted and salvaged wrecks for extra income. Chaining rats was a thing and you could get in trouble for breaking the chain. More people mined but mined to make caps and supers. An alliance would strip a belt in a few hour bare. Asteroids were big clunky beasts. Asteroids now look better back then if you hit an asteroid it looked like you were sitting on it. Now you can appear thousands of meters from one and hit it. There were a lot fewer stations. Usually 1 or 2 per constellation. some constellations didnt have any if they had low true sec. My corp rented our first system from Tau Ceti Federation in Omist. It was a 0.20 true sec. It cost us 400 mil a month for all rights in the system and docking rights in TCF docks. That was mid to late 2008 i think. Same true sec now goes for about 2 billion.The number of stations in that region have increased by400- 500% since 2008( there were only 4 maybe 5 when i first lived there)

Sov: Sov warfare consisted of POS bashing almost always with BS and BCs. There was a lot of bashing. Many would fight back but not always. Sov changed to the TCU/SBU system and it became a cat and mouse game. It then changed to the boring Jedi Mind Link we have now and i almost never feel a disturbance in the force outside of ninja jamming frigates.

Fleets:Jabber and mumble were rarely used if at all. TS was the main form of communications. Fleets were not so doctrine oriented. They had an order of preference but just wanted you to show up. Real ships> drakes> everything else is usually the order it went it. SRP was hull only and sometimes only half the hull if your corp/alliance was dirt poor. SRP was a pain. And you got a physical ship rather than isk payout. Now I get the KM value of the ship. It was common for a fleet to last 3-8 hours formed up. Fleets were long and FCs didnt care. Now if a fleet is over 2 hours my FCs apologize for the long fleet. Fleets were less organized pretty much in every way. You spent a lot of time doing nothing. Which drove down fleet participation. Fleets are more efficient now. 10-30 minutes of form up( depending on size of fleet) 1-2 hours of actually doing something, then back to the dock.

Capitals: Cap pilots were special and much desired. Super pilots were like gods. Now caps are throw away ships. My ratter cost more than a dread. Flying a cap and owning one pretty much guaranteed acceptance in most corps/alliances. You could project a fleet over long distances. When i was with Atlas before/during their fall i could pretty much jump bridge between 5 regions in mere minutes.

Corps: Corps had stricter requirements than they do now. You really needed 5 mil sp to get in a decent corp and 20 mil to get in a good pvp corp. Now null corps take you wet behind the ears and still in diaper. Corps were smaller mostly and friendly. Having 2/3rds of your corp as alts was not really a thing. People were more trusting and trustworthy with corp assets.

Influence map: The map was bigger blobs of alliances back then. Its more fractured now. Original AAA, BOB, Goons, Red Alliance,TCF, UL, Trimvirate, CVA, and death i think dominate almost all of the map.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#11 - 2016-07-16 08:49:31 UTC
It was wonderful! Big smile and snowballs

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Big Lynx
#12 - 2016-07-16 09:06:09 UTC
Kaivarian Coste wrote:
I'm wondering what Eve was like before 2008 when it had a lower population? Was the game still fun?

Cooler, more mature, a good community
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#13 - 2016-07-16 09:13:09 UTC
low sec was empty, I lived in low sec and ratted for years, hobo'ng from one star system to another. Sad

Empire, the next new world order.

Sustrai Aditua
Intandofisa
#14 - 2016-07-16 10:09:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Sustrai Aditua
Rule 1: Never ask a bunch of drunks what they remember about eight years ago.

Rule 2: Never ask a bunch of drunks what they remember about last night.

Eight years ago EVE was...already on a downhill slide. It had stagnated to a point similar to what we have today. Then this white unicorn parked itself in front of my TV set and kept telling me my refrigerator needed cleaning.
After that, it's a blur.

PS Remember 2011.

If we get chased by zombies, I'm tripping you.

Anke Eyrou
Hades Sisters
#15 - 2016-07-16 11:05:48 UTC
Sustrai Aditua wrote:
Rule 1: Never ask a bunch of drunks what they remember about eight years ago.

Rule 2: Never ask a bunch of drunks what they remember about last night.

Eight years ago EVE was...already on a downhill slide. It had stagnated to a point similar to what we have today. Then this white unicorn parked itself in front of my TV set and kept telling me my refrigerator needed cleaning.
After that, it's a blur.

PS Remember 2011.

Remember 2011; its the year I started to play and I still haven't tried PVP (not deliberately at least).

I expect to get this post deleted or locked. So much for freedom of expression.

Hengle Teron
Rorquals Anonymous
#16 - 2016-07-16 13:40:32 UTC
Strange how this "rapid decline" occurs every few months according to some posters.
Galaxxis
Unicorn Rampage
#17 - 2016-07-16 20:52:12 UTC
Hengle Teron wrote:
Strange how this "rapid decline" occurs every few months according to some posters.

These "eve is dying" idiots have been around since 2003. They can't seem to have a good time playing the game, so they feel it necessary to ruin everyone else's good time instead with their constant mindless crap.
RedLion
State Constructions
#18 - 2016-07-16 23:25:04 UTC
Everything was better in them old days!
Chewytowel Haklar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2016-07-17 01:55:43 UTC
I'm wondering if the game has enough interesting conflict drivers left to keep people interested? Not that this alone is the reason many people might not stick around in EVE, but it could be one of them.
Mysa
EVIL PLANKTON
#20 - 2016-07-17 07:35:35 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:

Ships: T1 was cheap. I think my first merlin was like 150-200k. Rigs were one size fits all( and needed the resources of large rigs today) so they were almost never fit on T1 cruiser and smaller. My first Raven was about 80 mil i think and a drake was 35-40 mil. Stealth bombers played a different role than they do now. I still have one with cruise launchers on it. faction ships were for the rich. There were a lot fewer types of ships

There was minerals all over high sec to be mined, now most of them are out in null/low.

Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
Skills: Skill queue was 24 hours. You started out with almost no skills. i think my first character started with less than 50k SP. You had accelerated training. You had to pay to upgrade you clone so you could keep an X amount of sp when you died. Around 50 mil sp it started to get really pricey. People didnt death clone jump everywhere like they do now. It seemed like it took forever to get my first 1 mil sp( took me about 2 weeks i think on my newest without injectors)

2 months of traning "traning skills" just to be able to pick up sp in a normal rate, Think of how that would have been today?!..

Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
Lowsec: Low sec was full of roaming pirates. Most would ransom your ship for a reasonable price. Lowsec was good for small gang pvp and ok for solo. Pirates were more friendly. Your corp could usually move into a constellation and get blues with most of the locals there through agreements. I dont know how much it has changed as the only time i spend in lowsec is for staging into null.

Gate camping was a thing, we camped entry systems and got loads of mails as there were no clone jumping. That came whit RmR(along whit Carriers). There were corps specializing in gate camping and ransoming, some of them still hold their gates :)

Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
Influence map: The map was bigger blobs of alliances back then. Its more fractured now. Original AAA, BOB, Goons, Red Alliance,TCF, UL, Trimvirate, CVA, and death i think dominate almost all of the map.

BoB, RA and AAA ownd the entire South. Goons, Iron and MM whit friends had the North! Syndicate, Curse and Gw was a mix of everything. Not empty as they are today.

12Next page