These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

1st time incursion tips

Author
Voxinian
#1 - 2012-01-14 14:50:10 UTC
Greetings!

After playing EVE on my own for the past year doing missions and exploring I am seeking for a new thrill and way to make some isk's. I really want to do an incursion and join an incursion fleet, but I have never flown in a fleet and never did an incursion with other players.

What do I need to do in a fleet? Do I just pew at everything in red or is there a system to follow when engaging npc's in a fleet?
How much ammo need I have with me (how long are the engagements)?
Do I need to have a microphone (I hate headsets)?
Do I need to focus on shields/armor or mainly offense?
Is a standard battleship with t2 fit good enough (raven)?
Also is there a definition list somewhere with all the short terms people use on the incursion channel (such as LSF). I see on the incursion channel always a bunch of short terms that I don't understand.

These are probably silly questions, but I would like to know what I am getting into and I have no idea :>
LaurencecC DiNardo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-01-14 15:15:54 UTC
Ohkay first off focus on Vangaudrs it will make you most money.
1. run shield fleet you will get more fleets.
2. Find a private group and stick with them. btl will ruin u and most likely get u popped. people are idiots.
3. get in a mach,nightmar,vindicator,bhaal,t3 cruiser immediately unlses u dont mind wasting a hour finding a makeshift fleet of crappy ships.
4. order is everything when it comes to incursions. kill the right ships at the right times, or u may spawn wrong enemies, and waste time killing things that dont need to be killed.
5. have over 70% resists on ship across board.
6. always have shield maintenance bots in cargo hold.
7. most people run with 3 logis, my group runs with 2 and pure dps boats. Learn our ways well my son as we make a **** ton.
8. keep calm cool and collected, loosing face will get u popped. Listen to FC.
9. Get used to talking with people or enjoy the monotany.

*ASK FC THE ORDER OF THE TAKEDOWN> EVERY FC RUNS HIS SITE DIFFERENTLY AND U DONT WANNA BE TEH JACKASS WASTING DPS MAKING LOGI 's MORE WORK OR SPAWNING EXTRA ENEMIES.

u will see it becomes very easy and repetative if you fly with a knowledgeable fleet.

*BE CAREFUL OF GANKERS> WAR DECCED PPL> THEY WILL TAKE AGRESSION OFF LOGIS> POP EM> AND THEN U WILL POP. GET IN PRIVATE CHANNELS ASAP TO PROTECT YOUR SHINY

FLY HARD KILL HARDER

SKEET SKEET
LaurencecC DiNardo
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2012-01-14 15:17:02 UTC
YOU WILL DEF. NEED A MICROPHONE AND HEASET
Voxinian
#4 - 2012-01-14 15:43:52 UTC
Thanks for the info, very helpful.
As I specialized in Caldari ships the Raven is he only option for me atm. As said it it is t2 fitted with +80% resistance.
Shield bots I havent researched at all cos I never needed them before, it's on the list now though.
Good to know that it is not wise to jump in some random fleet, hopefully I can find a thrust worthy group that I can tag along with.
I will hold off my first incursion till I have t2 maintenance bots then as I do not like to lose my missile boat :>
Voxinian
#5 - 2012-01-14 15:44:39 UTC
LaurencecC DiNardo wrote:
YOU WILL DEF. NEED A MICROPHONE AND HEASET

I have, but rarely use it with gaming (so far).
Pinaculus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-01-14 15:47:57 UTC
If you're not FCing then you'll rarely need to actually speak. Even then, you can get by with one-word answers. As long as you're shooting the proper targets (as in, you can HEAR comms) then nobody really cares if you chit-chat.

Unless, of course, you just like talking with random people.

I know sometimes it's difficult to realize just how much you spend on incidental things each month or year, but seriously, EVE is very cheap entertainment compared to most things... If you are a smoker, smoke one less pack a week and pay for EVE, with money left over to pick up a cheap bundle of flowers for the EVE widow upstairs.

Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#7 - 2012-01-14 17:59:08 UTC
Pinaculus wrote:
If you're not FCing then you'll rarely need to actually speak. Even then, you can get by with one-word answers. As long as you're shooting the proper targets (as in, you can HEAR comms) then nobody really cares if you chit-chat.

Unless, of course, you just like talking with random people.

Often I get by without speaking, because everyone is asleep and I don't want to wake my wife up (who will make me stop playing). If you can't (or dont want) to speak, just let the FC know that you can hear but won't be talking. Be sure to pay attention and promptly type anything you need to convey. It hasn't been an issue so far.

No good deed goes unpunished

Mehashi 'Kho
New Eden Motion Pictures
#8 - 2012-01-15 03:03:56 UTC
Voxinian wrote:
hopefully I can find a thrust worthy group

Voxinian wrote:
a thrust worthy group

Voxinian wrote:
thrust worthy

^_^.b
Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#9 - 2012-01-15 10:26:30 UTC
Nerf high sec incursion rewards

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Byron D
No Duck's Allowed
#10 - 2012-01-15 11:53:44 UTC
Maxpie wrote:

Often I get by without speaking, because everyone is asleep and I don't want to wake my wife up (who will make me stop playing).

Grow a pair ?
Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#11 - 2012-01-15 22:34:58 UTC
Byron D wrote:
Grow a pair ?

You obviously are not married.

OP, If all you can fly is a raven, I'd suggest joining headquarters fleets, which are run on a regular basis. If there's not one up, there's probably an assault somewhere. They don't pay as well as vanguards, but the systems aren't overcrowded like vanguards, either. Overcrowded systems means multiple fleets competing over every site...and only the fleet that puts out the most dps gets paid. (the raven doesn't put out much dps in vanguards)

In HQ/Assault fleets you'll be a nice addition to the fleet as a sniper.

If you want to actually compete, go for:
Machariel, Nightmare, or Vindicator for shield fleets, Legion for armor fleets. The Loki can be shoehorned into either. Some people like the bhaalgorn, but it honestly does not apply very much dps(having effectively 8 turrets with no damage bonus), while the loki has longer webs and applies much more damage to frigates, and not much less onto cruisers/BS rats.

thhief ghabmoef

Tyslas
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-01-16 04:52:12 UTC
http://incursionguide.wordpress.com/

'BTL Pub' and 'The Valhalla Project' in game channels.

Any VG fleets that have ravens are going to lose any and every contest, so as above you're better off joining in a assault/HQ fleets.

Train into winmatar and get into a machariel if you want to do VGs.
Voxinian
#13 - 2012-01-17 12:54:11 UTC
Fronkfurter McSheebleton wrote:
Byron D wrote:
Grow a pair ?

You obviously are not married.

OP, If all you can fly is a raven, I'd suggest joining headquarters fleets, which are run on a regular basis. If there's not one up, there's probably an assault somewhere. They don't pay as well as vanguards, but the systems aren't overcrowded like vanguards, either. Overcrowded systems means multiple fleets competing over every site...and only the fleet that puts out the most dps gets paid. (the raven doesn't put out much dps in vanguards)

In HQ/Assault fleets you'll be a nice addition to the fleet as a sniper.

If you want to actually compete, go for:
Machariel, Nightmare, or Vindicator for shield fleets, Legion for armor fleets. The Loki can be shoehorned into either. Some people like the bhaalgorn, but it honestly does not apply very much dps(having effectively 8 turrets with no damage bonus), while the loki has longer webs and applies much more damage to frigates, and not much less onto cruisers/BS rats.

Well the Raven and similar, I specialized in shield/missiles. Compared to what I make with lvl3 sec missions, any incursion battle will probably make me more. With missions so far I don't even have the isk for a Golum let alone insure it properly. If HQ incursion battles are easier then I will try to find a fleet for that. I have no idea how hard/risky incursions really are besides to what has been mentioned here so far :) Preferably I want to do my first incursion with a cheap disposable Drake, but don't think any fleet will want me then lol.

What is the best ammo choice for incursions btw, cruise or toprs? Torps i don't have at t2 yet, cruise i do have at t2. The raw dps is higher with torps, but they lack range and fail against cruisers and smaller.

I
Voxinian
#14 - 2012-01-17 13:24:30 UTC
Tyslas wrote:
http://incursionguide.wordpress.com/

'BTL Pub' and 'The Valhalla Project' in game channels.

Any VG fleets that have ravens are going to lose any and every contest, so as above you're better off joining in a assault/HQ fleets.

Train into winmatar and get into a machariel if you want to do VGs.

Good link thanks,
hopefully after a few incursions I will have the isk to buy a decent boat :>
Voxinian
#15 - 2012-01-17 13:32:23 UTC
Fronkfurter McSheebleton wrote:
Byron D wrote:
Grow a pair ?

If there's not one up, there's probably an assault somewhere. They don't pay as well as vanguards, but the systems aren't overcrowded like vanguards, either.

This seems to be BS, I am reading the opposite in the guide now.
Elistea
BLUE Regiment.
#16 - 2012-01-18 11:50:59 UTC
There are only 3 ship types that are worth bringing into incursions.

T3 (legion or loki) NOT tengu!!!
Logi ship (any)
Battleship (Machariel/Nightmare/Shield Vindicator) + ocasional Bhallgorn

These are basicaly only ships worth bringing.

If u cant fly any of these, stick with L4 mission till ur skilled enuf.
Mr Bigwinky
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-02-09 10:56:22 UTC
Voxinian wrote:
1st time incursion tips...
seeking for a new thrill....

>> Seeks new thrills
>> Incursions

Then my tip would be to kill yourself. ♥
Welcome to EVE online, here's your rubix cube, go F*** yourself ♥