These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What will happen if bots are banned, we already know.

Author
Rover Tull
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-01-15 20:01:54 UTC
My buddy does not play eve, but he trades on the grand exchange in runescape. A while ago, jagex (creators of runescape) unleashed a "bot nuke" that decimated the bot population on all servers. Prices of heavily boted items skyrocketed 200% and are still rising. I logged in for the first time in two years, and had a good stockpile of iron ore, which was heavily botted, and I realized that if people in eve started stockpiling ice, high-sec ores, and minerals then if and when ccp bans all the bots those items will give you returns unheard of. I don't think that ccp will ever do that, but if it did happen runescape kinda predicted what will happen.
Brock Nelson
#2 - 2012-01-15 20:05:58 UTC
So many things wrong...

Signature removed, CCP Phantom

KrakizBad
Section 8.
#3 - 2012-01-15 20:07:51 UTC
WTB 'bot nuke' tho. Sad
Rover Tull
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-01-15 20:28:18 UTC
I don't really know what it was, but almost all the bots got banned after it happened
Brock Nelson
#5 - 2012-01-15 20:31:42 UTC
Runescape != EVE.

CCP already did this and bots kept coming

Rover Tull
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-01-15 20:36:26 UTC
I don't remember hearing anything about bots being banned in significant numbers
Selene D'Celeste
The D'Celeste Trading Company
ISK Six
#7 - 2012-01-15 20:37:31 UTC
Brock Nelson wrote:
Runescape != EVE.

If you remember though, all of the mission macro'd goods went up in price as much as 2-3x their original value for the two weeks when the bots were banned from unholy rage. Implants went batshit causing a lot of tears, iirc.

Visit www.eohpoker.com and enjoy EVE's oldest ISK gaming service!

Brock Nelson
#8 - 2012-01-15 20:44:45 UTC
Selene D'Celeste wrote:
Brock Nelson wrote:
Runescape != EVE.

If you remember though, all of the mission macro'd goods went up in price as much as 2-3x their original value for the two weeks when the bots were banned from unholy rage. Implants went batshit causing a lot of tears, iirc.

Those were good times

Mardero
#9 - 2012-01-15 22:11:37 UTC
Bots are banned > prices skyrocket > some players turn to mining because it has now become more profitable > new equilibrium for prices that is somewhere inbetween the prices before bot-removal and the peak prices thereafter.
Tekota
The Freighter Factory
#10 - 2012-01-16 07:33:06 UTC
Rover Tull wrote:
I don't remember hearing anything about bots being banned in significant numbers

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=687
malaire
#11 - 2012-01-16 07:36:21 UTC
Rover Tull wrote:

unholy rage

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#12 - 2012-01-16 09:07:19 UTC
Rover Tull wrote:
My buddy does not play eve, but he trades on the grand exchange in runescape. A while ago, jagex (creators of runescape) unleashed a "bot nuke" that decimated the bot population on all servers. Prices of heavily boted items skyrocketed 200% and are still rising. I logged in for the first time in two years, and had a good stockpile of iron ore, which was heavily botted, and I realized that if people in eve started stockpiling ice, high-sec ores, and minerals then if and when ccp bans all the bots those items will give you returns unheard of. I don't think that ccp will ever do that, but if it did happen runescape kinda predicted what will happen.

BAN ALL BOTS ANYWAY

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Beckie DeLey
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2012-01-16 10:39:28 UTC
Prices going up is a good thing. Ban away.

My siren's name is Brick and she is the prettiest.

Dasola
New Edens Freeports
#14 - 2012-01-16 10:46:05 UTC
Sounds like basic supply vs. demand to me. :P Lets ban al those pesky bots... Twisted

We are Minmatar, Our ship are made of scraps, but look what our scraps can do...

DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
#15 - 2012-01-17 02:51:28 UTC
Whilst CCP are making subscription money off bots, they're not going anywhere.

Damn nature, you scary!

Brock Nelson
#16 - 2012-01-17 03:38:24 UTC
DelBoy Trades wrote:

This is probably the main reason why we're not seeing such a widespread banning of bots compared to other MMO.

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#17 - 2012-01-17 08:36:26 UTC
DelBoy Trades wrote:

There's a double meaning in that sentence.
DelBoy Trades
#18 - 2012-01-17 11:41:15 UTC
Kara Books wrote:
DelBoy Trades wrote:

There's a double meaning in that sentence.

All hail the king of double entendre.

Damn nature, you scary!

Kagan Storm
Doomheim
#19 - 2012-01-17 12:44:19 UTC
DelBoy Trades wrote:

I think you are wrong here.

If you use subscription to bot... sooner or later youll get banned.... and everithing tied to that credit card bla bla bla....

So if you ask me i think bots are actualy plexed.... cause only a ****** would give credit card info for an illegal action.... and no matter what anybodey say for or against boting is a bad thing.

Problem is the current eve equilibrium is with bots.....

CCP can eider ban all and drown in tears and pray they ride out the storm or they can just ignore the problem.

I have personaly shifted my incom form the stuff that can be boted cause i dont wanna deal with that aspect of the market.

But what everybody fails to realize is that its a double edge sword for ccp.

Example:
You have 100 people.... 50 of them mine 25 trade 15 run missions (runing l2s is not missionruning) 10 pvp. If you replace 40 miners with bots.... the other 40 people have to shift somewhere. And if they go trading hell brakes loose cause yes trade good for economy ug... but people in eve dont trade by marketmanipulating... Even in jita... buy orders are sparse.... and they ceap things running.... not the sell orders.

My ego is the the size of my carriers jump range.

DelBoy Trades
#20 - 2012-01-17 14:25:52 UTC
Kagan Storm wrote:
DelBoy Trades wrote:

I think you are wrong here.

If you use subscription to bot... sooner or later youll get banned.... and everithing tied to that credit card bla bla bla....

So if you ask me i think bots are actualy plexed.... cause only a ****** would give credit card info for an illegal action.... and no matter what anybodey say for or against boting is a bad thing.

By paying with PLEX they are still paying a subscription...Some one had to buy that PLEX for REAL money. Point stands.

Damn nature, you scary!

12Next page