These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Burning Down the Hive without getting burned.

Author
Nemesis Banzai
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-06-28 23:19:55 UTC
So I'm doing the SoE arc and I've come to the Burning Down the Hive mission. From what I hear it's the number one killer of ships in the game as many an unsuspecting Newbro goes in there with no idea of what's awaiting. I on the other hand like to read or watch videos as much as possible before I play but while I found out what awaits me I don't see a way to overcome. I'm in a Tristan with Gatling Rail l x2 and Hobgoblin 1 x8. My optimal range is just over 5Km which is half the distance I need to be at in order to not lose my ship. Can't upgrade to Rail ll because Trial Account. What do I do? All I can come up with is waiting until I can fly a Drone Destroyer. What?

No matter where you go...there you are.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#2 - 2016-06-28 23:37:55 UTC
Forget the railguns. In that mission you want to to keep any NPC 10+ km from your ship.

Use your drones to your advantage. You can use them out to 20km.

If you can't do enough damage with the drones, try slapping on a Drone Damage Amplifier.

If that still doesn't work... yeah... it might be time to upgrade to a Destroyer (hint: Algos)
Nemesis Banzai
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-06-29 00:05:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Nemesis Banzai
I have Drone Damage Amplifier l x2 already fitted. Are Hobgoblin l ok? And thanks again bro. Unfortunately, no destroyers for a Trial Account. Sad

Karina Ivanovich
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2016-06-29 02:09:03 UTC
You can train destroyers on a trial account. I did so myself back in the day.

Some call me insane. If the universe is sane, then I embrace that label.

Nemesis Banzai
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-06-29 02:34:33 UTC
Well, guess it pays to read up. Finished the mission and they hardly laid a glove on me. Thanks all. Cool

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#6 - 2016-06-29 12:48:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
You're going to come across the same problem when you meet Dagan at the end of the arc, he's pretty tough to kill with newbie SP levels unless you know what you're doing. When you come across him, and if you're having problems killing him, shout out in local for help; somebody will generally roll up to help you out, either a fellow newbie in a frigate or destroyer, who's also having problems, or a vet in a hilariously overpowered ship, because we've been there, and we remember how tough that SOB can seem.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Black Pedro
Mine.
#7 - 2016-06-29 13:26:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Pedro
Nemesis Banzai wrote:
Well, guess it pays to read up. Finished the mission and they hardly laid a glove on me. Thanks all. Cool
If you kite that mission properly from range, that mission is trivial. It only gives problems to new players who have been charging in to brawling range and have never seen a web scrambler before so the typical tactic of warping out if you are in danger doesn't work.

Aside from Chasing Shadows, which is problematic for cap intensive ships (which your drone ship should be fine with) the only other mission you should at all worry about is Dagan at the end. As Jonah said, you are likely going to have problems killing him even if you are completely prepared. He doesn't scram so feel free to give it a few attempts, but you may need to ask for help in local to get enough DPS to break his tank.

Don't hesitate. Grouping up is part of the game and almost everyone hates Dagan and enjoys the chance to help explode him again.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#8 - 2016-06-29 23:17:57 UTC
Gatling rails are really point defense weapons. They are arguably better than 125mm's but you need a pair of 150mm's to stay out of range. No ammo change needed, just put on 150's and hang out at 20-30km with the appropriate ammo. You can sick your drones on other targets.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#9 - 2016-06-30 03:11:37 UTC
Team up with someone.
Right click on portrait in local of someone who wants to team up with you > "form fleet with"

Shallanna Yassavi
qwertz corp
#10 - 2016-06-30 10:21:20 UTC
Against Dagan, you need ~100 DPS, preferably with lasers. The Coercer does pretty well against him, but requires a hull skill of III or IV to not cap out.

There's one where you run into a neuting battlecruiser. If you bring a nosferatu, you can leech from the rat so you have the cap energy to run your mods. It's going to require help with newbie skills. And blasters work better for that tactic because of the effective range of the nos.

A lot of time, there's more than one correct answer to a problem.

A signature :o

Eleonora Crendraven
Global Communications AG
#11 - 2016-07-15 17:42:11 UTC
Burning Down the Hive
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Burning_Down_the_Hive

Our Man Dagan:
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_Blood-Stained_Stars#Mission_49:_Our_Man_Dagan

https://twitter.com/gcAG_EVE

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Eleonora_Crendraven

≡⋁≡