These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Oldest player (not character)

Author
Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Ardevon Corporation
#61 - 2016-06-23 20:38:01 UTC
Hey Folks, I just found this ...
Just read, remenber and smile ...Big smile

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

«An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour». Albert Einstein - [11, S. 154]

More Quotes, Poetry & Prose on: https://gwenaelledeardevon.wordpress.com/

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#62 - 2016-06-23 20:41:58 UTC
Gwenaelle de Ardevon wrote:
Hey Folks, I just found this ...
Just read, remenber and smile ...Big smile

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank koolade made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because .
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

I believe you meant to send this as a chain letter via evemail
Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#63 - 2016-06-23 20:42:47 UTC
Rashid Starfury
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#64 - 2016-06-24 00:06:17 UTC
At 60, I have been playing for 14 years!
Meyiza Heer
#65 - 2016-06-24 06:46:24 UTC
Coming up 60 in a few months

Been playing since 2009 ... this pod goo is great for your complexion. Twisted
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#66 - 2016-06-24 19:26:09 UTC
"We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever."

Ahh the good ol days.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Zoe Schereau
Interstellar Expeditionary Group
Einstein-Rosen Brigade
#67 - 2016-06-24 23:56:14 UTC
44 here. Been playing for 3.5 years.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#68 - 2016-06-25 00:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Who ever said the worms didn't live in us forever? Smile Anyway, mud pies were made, and mud pies were eaten. That much, we know is true. I'd bet that somehow, somewhere around the world, the same is happening at just this instant.
TackyTachy1
Doomheim
#69 - 2016-06-25 04:28:07 UTC
Things I remember:
Being in Saigon, before the name change.
Deep in the Mekong, watching Puff unload at night, like someone peeing red out of the night sky.
In the North Atlantic, taking a wave, being washed downdeck, reaching in a panic for anything solid, finally grateful for the pain as I fetched up underneath the 01 level ladder.
Taking departure from Gib after six months in the Med, part of a fast carrier battle group. Listening to a local group called The Beatles, liked them but figured they were but a local group. Couple days out from Norva and as usual the first radio station we could pick up on our transistor AM only radios was 1010 WINS out of NYC. Seven out out of ten songs were The Beatles, apparently a bit bigger than a local UK band.
Back in the Med, crew on a guided missile destroyer, late night, off duty in my berthing compartment, the skipper came over the 1MC to tell us that JFK was dead in Dallas.
Three channels on the TV, and yeah, you had to get up to change the channel.
After the Navy, long haul trucking, truckstops with vast rooms filled with hundreds of payphones.
Living on coffee, cigarettes and pills.
And they lied to us, said drugs were bad for us. But Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and that lot still kicking, ugly as hell, but still here.
The above not exactly in chronological order, but close enough.
Sometimes I feel like a beat up old historical artifact.

Forum Rep for a bunch of characters, couple corps and one seriously Lost In Space multiboxer.

Griller SW
Sliders SW
#70 - 2016-06-25 09:40:53 UTC
Crap, I had to go and check... my account just turned 12 :) Been playing on and off half that time as family became a bigger priority Smile

46 here and feeling younger with each post I read on this thread, heheh.
RoAnnon
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#71 - 2016-06-25 16:22:52 UTC
At 53, for a while I felt I was the oldest EVE player. The guy that interviewed me prior to my joining my current corp was the first player older that I'd spoken with (that I knew of). Then I went to EVE Vegas last year. Yeah, I'm feeling young now!

And Rain, next time I see you I'm gonna thump you with my cane, if I remember to bring it... What?

So, you're a bounty hunter. No, that ain't it at all. Then what are you? I'm a bounty hunter.

Broadcast4Reps

Eve Vegas 2015 Pub Crawl Group 9

Houston EVE Meet

Stealth Severasse
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2016-06-25 23:16:06 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
I like this thread. It makes me feel young.

Exactly what I was thinking! Though I'll be 30 in a month!
Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#73 - 2016-06-26 00:42:03 UTC
After reading this thread I feel a bit better.

At 45 I was beginning to wonder if I was "too old for video games."

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Ardevon Corporation
#74 - 2016-06-26 05:58:30 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
After reading this thread I feel a bit better.

At 45 I was beginning to wonder if I was "too old for video games."

...For video games ...maybe What?

............... For EVE .... NO!Big smile

«An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour». Albert Einstein - [11, S. 154]

More Quotes, Poetry & Prose on: https://gwenaelledeardevon.wordpress.com/

TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#75 - 2016-06-26 06:09:53 UTC  |  Edited by: TheSmokingHertog
Did any of you all see the age distribution video of CCP quant?

Edit: and then I see someone else posted it too :(

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-

Rhedea
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#76 - 2016-06-26 06:54:38 UTC
59 started in lowsec then null last few years ended in High sec, now moving back to null (slowly), been here since the beginning of EvE.Blink
Merovee
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#77 - 2016-06-26 06:58:13 UTC
59 started in lowsec then null last few years ended in High sec, now moving back to null (slowly), been here since the beginning of EvE.P (Rhed's Brother)

Empire, the next new world order.

Max Fubarticus
Raging Main
Bullets Bombs and Blondes
#78 - 2016-06-26 12:38:07 UTC
RoAnnon wrote:
At 53, for a while I felt I was the oldest EVE player. The guy that interviewed me prior to my joining my current corp was the first player older that I'd spoken with (that I knew of). Then I went to EVE Vegas last year. Yeah, I'm feeling young now!

And Rain, next time I see you I'm gonna thump you with my cane, if I remember to bring it... What?

And I when I get to Eve Vegas this year, I will go straight to the head of the line. My "Walker" is Dual Proped Nanofit" with Neuts in the high slots. Say goodbye to your smart phone battery!

Max

Civil discourse is uniquely human. After all, when is the last time a pride of lions and a herd of water buffalo negotiated SOV over a watering hole? Never. Someone either gets their ass kicked or eaten. At the end of the day someone holds SOV.

lost packet
Alpha Flight
#79 - 2016-06-26 13:07:56 UTC
39 here, been at it for 10 years.

Like this thread, first time felt young for awhile...
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#80 - 2016-06-27 16:22:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Aaron
My real name is Connor MacLeod of clan MacLeod, I was born in the 16th century Scottish Highlands in the village of Glenfinnan. I am Highlander. There can only be one!!!

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie