These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

On grid boosters - Discussion Topic

First post
Author
Cade Windstalker
#41 - 2016-06-21 18:34:19 UTC
Steve, any news or new information?

Heck, do you think this thread has been useful at all so far?

Any plans to do more threads like this for future features head of any CCP announcement?
Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#42 - 2016-06-21 22:10:47 UTC
I am of the opinion, that OGB adds nothing to the game.

It ruins my immersion when a space ship is able to fly faster because some other ship has a button on.

I know this is a game, but, its the main problem I have with boosting.

Extra resistances, when off grid, make no sense either, while on grid, they make sense in the same way shield/armor/whatever repair does as in there's a steady stream of particles/energy flung at the target, even if they are being dispersed around a particular vessel (AoE).

Frankly, I don't even know the full extent of possible bonuses, because I never bothered to train link alts, but things like velocity, acceleration and manoeuvrability being affected should not be boosted.

Sensor locking speed is fine representing additional sensors available, signature reduction is fine (a weak ECM), but stuff like speed/agility should be well off the realm of electronic buffing.

My two cents really.
Cade Windstalker
#43 - 2016-06-22 19:41:20 UTC
Morgan North wrote:
I am of the opinion, that OGB adds nothing to the game.

It ruins my immersion when a space ship is able to fly faster because some other ship has a button on.

I know this is a game, but, its the main problem I have with boosting.

Extra resistances, when off grid, make no sense either, while on grid, they make sense in the same way shield/armor/whatever repair does as in there's a steady stream of particles/energy flung at the target, even if they are being dispersed around a particular vessel (AoE).

Frankly, I don't even know the full extent of possible bonuses, because I never bothered to train link alts, but things like velocity, acceleration and manoeuvrability being affected should not be boosted.

Sensor locking speed is fine representing additional sensors available, signature reduction is fine (a weak ECM), but stuff like speed/agility should be well off the realm of electronic buffing.

My two cents really.

"Makes sense" isn't really something that comes into play here. This is Science Fiction so it's always possible to come up with some way something *might* be doable, even if it's just the external view point allowing for optimization of existing systems.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#44 - 2016-06-22 20:31:14 UTC
Sense, in f&i!!
GET EM LADS!
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#45 - 2016-06-22 23:28:04 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Steve, any news or new information?

Heck, do you think this thread has been useful at all so far?

Any plans to do more threads like this for future features head of any CCP announcement?

Nothing new to share yet.

They haven't (as far as we've been told. Or not, in this case) started working on it.

But it's often the case they'll kick it around internally, before bringing a close to finished concept to us. (That's not to say things don't change. They do. But it helps for them to have a concept, before discussions really start)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#46 - 2016-06-23 00:58:59 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

They haven't (as far as we've been told. Or not, in this case) started working on it.

But it's often the case they'll kick it around internally, before bringing a close to finished concept to us. (That's not to say things don't change. They do. But it helps for them to have a concept, before discussions really start)

We have been saying the same thing, we rather wait a little more and get something solid than have something that doesn't quite do it.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#47 - 2016-06-23 01:47:17 UTC
So far my experience with links is - broken AF. Not only the bonuses but how they are applied, some1 sitting 100 au away at station or at safespot in an almost unscannable, claoky, nullified t3 providing constant boosts to everyone? Wat.
So after thinking long and hard i came up with this:

1. Links should be on grid, all time, or at least most of it- this would open a profession currently occupied by alts

2. The ships should be tanky while having links fitted and running, low sig, good resist profile, base speed, minimal to none dps. Command destroyers need a buff in that regard, atm thay can fit 1 module, if that. Useful only for the mjd. Command ships- more buffor, able to fit more links without gimping the fit etc.

3. Duration seems like good idea to differentiate between hulls, smaller ship would have to stay with the group to provide buff constantly (but also be more mobile and avoid getting caught while on grid with the gang)
Command ship could "link up" and warp off to a safe oldschool style, but it would warp slow giving enemy chance to catch it and after a while it would need to reunite with fleet somehow, giving opposite team another chance to point it. Or stay on field with the kitey cancer roam and be the slowest, potentialy catch-able high value target for enemy.
gang link t3's should behave like something in between- weaker bonus to link strength and lower tank than command ship, but more agile.
Cade Windstalker
#48 - 2016-06-23 02:02:17 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Not surprised by any of this. Game Development is like an iceberg, you only ever really see the tip of the process. (and no one really questions that until there's a horrible wreck...)

More wondering if the thread has been useful to you and/or the other CSMs in getting your own internal discussion going, coming up with potential concerns, or just generally producing "huh, I never thought of that" moments.

If it's doing any of that then I feel like the playerbase is doing its job as far as engaging with the CSM and providing feedback and fodder for discussions goes.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#49 - 2016-06-23 12:06:38 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:

Not surprised by any of this. Game Development is like an iceberg, you only ever really see the tip of the process. (and no one really questions that until there's a horrible wreck...)

More wondering if the thread has been useful to you and/or the other CSMs in getting your own internal discussion going, coming up with potential concerns, or just generally producing "huh, I never thought of that" moments.

If it's doing any of that then I feel like the playerbase is doing its job as far as engaging with the CSM and providing feedback and fodder for discussions goes.

I've been reading it, yes. Big smile The points will be raised (except for the 'don't change anything' one. because they will be changed.)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Cade Windstalker
#50 - 2016-06-23 14:12:54 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
I've been reading it, yes. Big smile The points will be raised (except for the 'don't change anything' one. because they will be changed.)

I lol'd. Love you Steve, keep being an awesome and super engaged CSM :)
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#51 - 2016-06-23 14:16:51 UTC
removal of ogb boosts would result in less pvp, since links allow to bait someone into fighting a seemingly inferior ship.
Once ogb boosts are gone, this kind of fights is gone.
Cade Windstalker
#52 - 2016-06-23 15:12:13 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:
removal of ogb boosts would result in less pvp, since links allow to bait someone into fighting a seemingly inferior ship.

Oh noes, now you'll only have your Skill Points, Combat Boosters, and Fitting to make yourself invisibly harder to kill?
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#53 - 2016-06-23 15:31:20 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:

Yippppeeeeee

(good riddance)
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#54 - 2016-06-23 16:02:54 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

Oh noes, now you'll only have your Skill Points, Combat Boosters, and Fitting to make yourself invisibly harder to kill?

boosters are of limited value, fitting upgrades which would meaningfully matter consts tons of ISK and thus are only for rich people. Links however offer possibilities for regular players.
Cade Windstalker
#55 - 2016-06-23 17:26:43 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:

boosters are of limited value, fitting upgrades which would meaningfully matter consts tons of ISK and thus are only for rich people. Links however offer possibilities for regular players.

A boosting character takes anywhere from six months to a year to train just to be able to fly the ship and boost to a good degree, and it requires a second account (something the average player probably can't afford with just PLEX).

A well fitted boosting ship, and the implants to go with it, costs at least half a billion ISK and can run much higher.

All of that hardly makes a Command Boosting alt "something for poor people" here...

Besides all of this though, just the fact that you consider Boosts to be so powerful says that they should be on-grid and under direct risk of getting shot rather than off-grid, hidden, and quite safe (you know, in comparison).
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#56 - 2016-06-23 21:05:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
If they come on grid limited boosting range.

Under no circumstances is to boosts stay active if ship is not present on grid...ship dies boosts dies ship warp off boosts dies

Add battleship size booster or rework marauders to fit that role,

size/class of a boosting ship could be used to determine how many ppl and how strong certain boosts are.

Marauders supposed to be redone few years ago into more PVP oriented roles not even greater PVE carebaremobiles with niche afterthought PVP every once in a blue moon action....not sure what happened there but whatevs.

Made some opinions here other than that il just wait for this disaster to unfold.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Cade Windstalker
#57 - 2016-06-23 21:11:14 UTC
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
If they come on grid limited boosting range.

Under no circumstances is to boosts stay active if ship is not present on grid...ship dies boosts dies ship warp off boosts dies

This may turn into more of a server performance issue than a game balance one. While I agree in theory I feel that some kind of short-duration effect (call it 10-30 seconds) may be more practical from a server performance standpoint while keeping the overall effect on combat the same.

Mina Sebiestar wrote:
Add battleship size booster or rework marauders to fit that role size/class of a boosting ship could be used to determine how many ppl and how strong certain boosts are.

Marauders supposed to be redone few years ago into more PVP oriented roles not even greater PVE carebaremobiles with niche afterthought PVP every once in a blue moon action....not sure what happened there but whatevs.

Made some opinions here other than that il just wait for this disaster to unfold.

Marauders were never supposed to be reworked into PvP oriented roles. This was disucssed during the Bastion rework and roundly shot down by CCP. Go read the thread if you want to know more.

Also I'm failing to see a compelling argument for a Battleship sized boosting ship. We have Destroyers, Battlecruisers, and Capitals, why do we need a Battleship when a Command Ship can out-tank a Battleship in most cases?
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#58 - 2016-06-23 21:28:24 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:

If you're afraid to PvP without boosts, you're risk averse enough that I'd say good riddance.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#59 - 2016-06-23 21:52:23 UTC
Quote:
Marauders were never supposed to be reworked into PvP oriented roles

And yet very first update of them was giving em t2 resists and bonuses to webs and only minor tank buffs in bastion and talks about re positioning with MJD as well as RR capabilities to boot on battlefield if that's not epitome of PVP stats i don't know what is

Until flood of carebares tears that is at which point all that talk of pvp was replaced with how to kill arch gistum battleships or better yet tank it.

Quote:
why do we need a Battleship when a Command Ship can out-tank a Battleship in most cases

Active tank marauder have significantly better tank than both minmatar and gallente command ships those would be active tankers and suitable in comparison

Other than that i mention it as an opinion as to size of boosting bubble/how many ppl get boosts and or strength of certain boosts over the others.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#60 - 2016-06-23 22:45:41 UTC
Robert Caldera wrote:

Don't worry, people who go for Baity McBaitboat 2 minutes after seing his link tengu jump in, will also fall for same ship with a neutral Drake on grid.

Individually targeted links? Oh RNG Jesus pls no. I'm old enough to remember buffer class in ancient mmo's, 1 guy spending 3 minutes to provide buffs to a 7-9 man group and than having to sit down and regen for 5 minutes just to be able to redo same thing again. EvE has too much targeting as it is.
One "special", shorter, more powerful targeted link is cool thou, blob warfare would keep their aoe while a micro gang could focus on utilizing both aoe and special ability to maximum.