These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[June Release] Combat Booster Legalization

First post First post First post
Author
Skia Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#101 - 2016-06-15 21:24:47 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
If you have a suggestion for something to replace this without defeating the purpose of these changes then by all means suggest away, badger the CSM about it, or whatever else. Maybe push for something else to be made illegal

I did.
We have a CSM member here in this thread, who position himself as industrialist. But he seems not bothered at all.
Midnight Hope
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2016-06-16 03:56:18 UTC

Why remove a whole profession and game style from the game?
Oh, wait, it's easier than actually improving the existing mechanics!
That's why!

You can do better than this CCP, you are taking away the sand from the sandbox. Cry
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#103 - 2016-06-16 06:30:19 UTC
Midnight Hope wrote:

Why remove a whole profession and game style from the game?
Oh, wait, it's easier than actually improving the existing mechanics!
That's why!

You can do better than this CCP, you are taking away the sand from the sandbox. Cry

Considering the people claiming to be in this profession in this thread have themselves mainly talked about low & null, I really doubt they are actually having their profession taken away. Since their profession really is called logistics.

The only thing being actually taken away is the need to avoid randomly generated customs NPC's & a bunch of hassle with contracts. Someone still has to move the drugs around avoiding players now, and I'm betting most of the smart ones already do things like use jump bridges to move their drugs, exactly like..... all the rest of the logistics guys do when moving all the other products.

And in return they get a much larger market to make isk on.
Skia Aumer
#104 - 2016-06-16 11:35:34 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Considering the people claiming to be in this profession in this thread have themselves mainly talked about low & null, I really doubt they are actually having their profession taken away. Since their profession really is called logistics.

The only thing being actually taken away is the need to avoid randomly generated customs NPC's & a bunch of hassle with contracts. Someone still has to move the drugs around avoiding players now, and I'm betting most of the smart ones already do things like use jump bridges to move their drugs, exactly like..... all the rest of the logistics guys do when moving all the other products.

And in return they get a much larger market to make isk on.

You have no idea how nullsec logistics work, do you?
Cade Windstalker
#105 - 2016-06-16 14:38:18 UTC
Skia Aumer wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
If you have a suggestion for something to replace this without defeating the purpose of these changes then by all means suggest away, badger the CSM about it, or whatever else. Maybe push for something else to be made illegal

I did.
We have a CSM member here in this thread, who position himself as industrialist. But he seems not bothered at all.

I don't think this should be viewed as all that surprising, from an industrialist's perspective this is nothing but a good thing for manufacturers of Combat Boosters. This should increase the usability of their product exponentially and thus also increase demand for it, which will increase their profits since Boosters still need to be manufactured in Low and Null and are thus riskier to produce than most other goods.

The play-style that's actually taking a hit here is smuggling, though personally I think trying to warp through gates before NPCs randomly scan you isn't terribly interesting as mechanics go. It's either very very easy to defeat or incredibly incredibly hard, depending almost entirely on the SP allocation and ship choice of the player in question.

If I really wanted to move something past gates I'd probably do it in an insta-warp cloaky. Move the product to the nearest low-sec system through Cov-Ops Jump Bridges, and then either go the rest of the way in an insta-warp Inty or just keep using the cloaky. The few times I've had to use something like this to move product the only time I've so much as taken a sec-status hit was actually warping *to* a gate when the warp took a little too long to trigger, which isn't really engaging gameplay it's just bad luck with RNG.

Skia Aumer wrote:

This seems like focusing on the wrong side of things to me. The discussion here has very little to do with Null-Sec Logistics and more to do with the logistics of moving Combat Boosters. It doesn't really matter if he's right about how Null Logistics works, it matters if he's right about how Combat Boosters are moved.
Max Caulfield
Perkone
Caldari State
#106 - 2016-06-16 16:06:44 UTC
CCP: Years ahead of real-world policy.
Skia Aumer
#107 - 2016-06-16 17:12:23 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Skia Aumer wrote:

This seems like focusing on the wrong side of things to me. The discussion here has very little to do with Null-Sec Logistics and more to do with the logistics of moving Combat Boosters. It doesn't really matter if he's right about how Null Logistics works, it matters if he's right about how Combat Boosters are moved.

The focus is clear: organized groups do logistics via jump-freighters. This is how it works. You buy stuff in Jita, you set courier contract and later get it in your alliance home system, or vise versa. While hauling from nullsec to Jita has some peculiarities (because of suicide squads), logistics from Jita is really straightforward. Cyno up, jump, dock. Login next cyno, rinse, repeat. Usually the entire thing is done by 1 human. That's it, the whole gameplay. Exciting, right?
Cade Windstalker
#108 - 2016-06-16 17:36:43 UTC
Skia Aumer wrote:
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Skia Aumer wrote:

The focus is clear: organized groups do logistics via jump-freighters. This is how it works. You buy stuff in Jita, you set courier contract and later get it in your alliance home system, or vise versa. While hauling from nullsec to Jita has some peculiarities (because of suicide squads), logistics from Jita is really straightforward. Cyno up, jump, dock. Login next cyno, rinse, repeat. Usually the entire thing is done by 1 human. That's it, the whole gameplay. Exciting, right?

That's pretty much what the other player said. Personally I'm not seeing much difference between this and a similar way of moving boosters. The main difference is Boosters are small enough that you can jump them without a freighter, which means by Covert Cyno, further reducing the risk inherent in the process.

Once you've got the Combat Boosters into high-sec, so long as you're using a cloaky ship, you're under very very little risk of getting caught by a Customs Officer, and even if one does manage to scan you that's entirely an RNG check.

How is that significantly better than Null Sec Logistics?
Ferrucio Surge
The Bag Cartel
#109 - 2016-06-18 14:16:00 UTC
The War on Drugs is over! In spaaaaaaace!
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#110 - 2016-06-18 17:12:04 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:

That's pretty much what the other player said. Personally I'm not seeing much difference between this and a similar way of moving boosters. The main difference is Boosters are small enough that you can jump them without a freighter, which means by Covert Cyno, further reducing the risk inherent in the process.

Once you've got the Combat Boosters into high-sec, so long as you're using a cloaky ship, you're under very very little risk of getting caught by a Customs Officer, and even if one does manage to scan you that's entirely an RNG check.

How is that significantly better than Null Sec Logistics?

My point was more that this will not significantly change even if drugs are legal.
The only change to risk is in highsec where it's a change to NPC risk only. Suicide gankers might still target you.
Low & Null player risk will remain exactly the same. Using JF's might even increase the risk instead of using BR's & Covert Cyno's. Drugs will still need shipping to markets, and you can still sell direct to customers also just like now, nothing makes you use Jita ever.
Cade Windstalker
#111 - 2016-06-19 00:38:33 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

My point was more that this will not significantly change even if drugs are legal.
The only change to risk is in highsec where it's a change to NPC risk only. Suicide gankers might still target you.
Low & Null player risk will remain exactly the same. Using JF's might even increase the risk instead of using BR's & Covert Cyno's. Drugs will still need shipping to markets, and you can still sell direct to customers also just like now, nothing makes you use Jita ever.

I wouldn't say this is really accurate. Nothing makes you use Jita but if you can then it's much more convenient for the buyer so whoever does sell there has an advantage in the market. Case and point, as soon as Faction and Deadspace modules became available on the Market tab the contracts market for them almost entirely dried up.

That's actually a thought, would it be worthwhile to allow these items to be moved but not list them on the markets, or would this just create inconvenience rather than add depth?
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#112 - 2016-06-19 14:13:54 UTC
Cade Windstalker wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

I wouldn't say this is really accurate. Nothing makes you use Jita but if you can then it's much more convenient for the buyer so whoever does sell there has an advantage in the market. Case and point, as soon as Faction and Deadspace modules became available on the Market tab the contracts market for them almost entirely dried up.

That's actually a thought, would it be worthwhile to allow these items to be moved but not list them on the markets, or would this just create inconvenience rather than add depth?

That just creates inconvenience.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Blade Darth
Room for Improvement
Good Sax
#113 - 2016-06-21 13:01:00 UTC
From buyers perspective i love this change, no more wasting the pill (or not buying at all), or asking fleet to bump you back to gate because for some reason the roam went trough 2 jumps high sec.

Dedicated booster traders (all 5 in the galaxy) will lose the market, but on the other hand the volume and gas miner profit will increase 10 times. Whole fleets, in all regions will buy this stuff. Atm it's only FAX machine pilots and some l33t solo/ small gang pvp'ers.
iHades
Kundalinis National Protection And Security
#114 - 2016-06-23 10:02:19 UTC  |  Edited by: iHades
+1 at last something good from ccp.

please make sure the drugs are charges like the nanite paste show we can put the ships in the fleet hangar with the drugs on the ship

> need more nightmares

Obearoth HuanTao
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#115 - 2016-06-26 00:25:01 UTC
Another part of this great game gets their training-wheels put on. There are only so many nails needed to close this coffin CCP.
Eve is ever faster becomming space-wow... yawn

You could've made intelligent additions to this best of games, yet most all you do is taking the lazy RL "best for your economics" choice

/me starts looking for that next game with a cliff-side challenge
Obearoth HuanTao
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#116 - 2016-06-26 00:29:54 UTC
Midnight Hope wrote:

+1 Best analogy in a long time.
Eve is fast becomming more and more like a game of whack-a-mole style of playing
Lord Kalus
Not PurpIe Shoot It
ISK Positive
#117 - 2016-06-26 19:10:56 UTC
DRUGS FOR EVERYONE!Lol

*tosses confetti*
TravoltaZpl
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2016-06-27 06:41:59 UTC
Ccp ruin game from patch to pacth. 2009 Eve was interesting complicated game, now its a easy sandbox with a lot of stupid patches for noobs( this 10k sp for killing npc. drugs, and etc bulls**t). Rly old players from 2005-2010 dont wanna play this casual game like you do now. Look at online, its dropping every day
ISD Fractal
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#119 - 2016-06-27 13:14:24 UTC
I removed an off topic post.

ISD Fractal

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2016-07-11 11:28:32 UTC
Gotta say I don't like this game change even though I'm gonna take full advantage of it and move Drugs for Booster production through high security to sell in Market.

Could have easily made a special 'Smugglers Skill' and or 'Contraband Can' to smuggle Drugs past Customs at Jump Gates. At least that would have helped boost the Smuggling Trade in this game. Instead CCP removes more content from the game.

TravoltaZpl wrote:
Ccp ruin game from patch to pacth. 2009 Eve was interesting complicated game, now its a easy sandbox with a lot of stupid patches for noobs( this 10k sp for killing npc. drugs, and etc bulls**t). Rly old players from 2005-2010 dont wanna play this casual game like you do now. Look at online, its dropping every day

So very true. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

DMC