These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Copypasting and variety in EvE

Author
Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-06-20 11:16:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Arkoth 24
Made a new topic to not derail another thread.

Pak Narhoo wrote:
To the non-Tippia readers here, you people are slacking. Wake up I would say but I fear it's too late. You've fallen in apathy and let things just slide over your head. Like 20 bucks skins that look like they where achieved by pushing a slider left or right. Mud drab skins and you pay a premium for that garbage worth more then a month's subscription. Yes it's your money, but you shouldn't take s*t like this from *any* company. 20 bucks fine but then I expect *excellence*. A skin that wows you away, like they have on the Serenity server. Guess CCP Iceland lacks some serious skills & talent in this department as I see no reason why China has bling skins and we mud & drab skins, at premium prices.

For my opinion, the problem is not in skins itself, but in "copypasting". It's everythere. Similar skins, similar outfits, similar hulls, similar signatures and missions. "Pirate faction events" made by changing the label. "Daily missions" on top of all of this.

EvE needs variety badly. Some small procedure-generated changes in environment, unpredictable events everywhere to make the world looks alive. Some kick-in-da-ass for disigners to stop recoloring old models. Some global lore-based events.

Feel free to discuss.
Jinn McKellin
ChemiKals
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2016-06-20 11:20:18 UTC
Could not agree more. If there is one thing I hate about this game is the lack of variety in the ships.
Revis Owen
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#3 - 2016-06-20 14:40:28 UTC
"Variativity"? "Variety" already exists and uses less letters. If you're going to make up a word, at least make it more efficient than what's already available. :)

Agent of the New Order http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html If you do not have a current Mining Permit, please contact me for issuance.

Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-06-20 14:51:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Arkoth 24
Revis Owen wrote:
"Variativity"? "Variety" already exists and uses less letters. If you're going to make up a word, at least make it more efficient than what's already available. :)

Thank you, online translator made some fun on me. I'll keep "copypasting" if you don't mind.

Fixed OP. CODE. made things better again.
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-06-20 14:53:04 UTC
If everyone use the word "variety", then where is the variety ?
+1 for the content of the OP. If Incarna went on, i bet it would have suffered exactly of the same plague of lazyness/lack of creativity, except that it would have been way more obvious, as we would all have sat in the tavern all wearing the same uniform, and the same monocle...
Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#6 - 2016-06-20 14:57:56 UTC
Tao Dolcino wrote:
...as we would all have sat in the tavern all wearing the same uniform, and the same monocle...

Better than nothing for my taste. The lack of social interaction is an another big problem.

But i'll better STFU before it will all come into another WiS-topic.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#7 - 2016-06-20 15:14:28 UTC
I'm not certain I agree with the specifics of this thread but generally, yes, variety is important to keeping MMO players happy over time.

I disagree that ships aren't in enough variety. There are literally 1,000,000+ combinations of ships and fittings. Of that number probably 10% are somewhat effective and 2% are really effective. Now those are just off the top of my head, but probably in the ballpark.

On customization of look and feel, there our problem is probably not with CCP. I blame Blizzard for that perception. Those guys rake in so much money that they have entire teams dedicated to look and feel... new releases almost monthly. BioWare and SWTOR specialize in customization so they also have a high bar to hit.

Poor CCP is just trying their darnedest to have content out monthly that customization, look and feel aren't in the same priority level. For a small company based in Iceland that's hanging on in a very competitive industry, I'd say they are doing better than most others of their size and scope. So, I'm not going to thunk them too hard on the noggin for this area of the game.

Can they do better? Sure, we all can. However, I think most players would put content before the bells and whistles.

Then again, maybe they could focus on giving the players the tools to do content/look and feel (much like their CREST stuff). Sure, you'd end up with Hello Kitty Catalysts, and maybe some rudely done ships but that's just more fun. So pushing for more player generated customization is probably useful in the long term but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
MidnightWyvern
The Bosena Accords
Warclone Initiative
#8 - 2016-06-20 15:15:27 UTC
Arkoth 24 wrote:
Tao Dolcino wrote:
...as we would all have sat in the tavern all wearing the same uniform, and the same monocle...

Better than nothing for my taste. The lack of social interaction is an another big problem.

But i'll better STFU before it will all come into another WiS-topic.

Yeah, this thread will derail FAST if you let that come up.

As to what you said, two years back they showed an interface to allow full customization of ship paint jobs, and I would imagine features like that are part of what they were referring to when they talked about ending support for DirectX9 due to it holding back the technologies they could deploy.

Rattati Senpai noticed us! See you in the next FPS!

Alts: Saray Wyvern, Mobius Wyvern (Dust 514)

Roenok Baalnorn
Sadistically Sinister
#9 - 2016-06-20 15:51:46 UTC
The only thing that has decent variety in eve is pvp. Eve itself has a lot of variety in terms of things to do. But once you find something you like say exploration the variety goes down hill greatly. Exploration doesnt feel like exploration. Their is not enough variety of sites. And while they have added a few more sites such as ghost sites and sleeper caches, etc those sites are quite difficult for the average explorer and downright impossible in many exploration ships.

Anoms and plexes are the same as well. Anoms are redundantly boring. But then wait! They decided to add some dreads to anoms to make it more interesting. Killing one of these solo is pretty difficult if not impossible. So again their answer to making PVE more fun was to make it randomly more difficult( instead of just adding an anom that is harder than a sanctum for example) meaning you get a nasty surprise that you will at least need a special ship/fit for or you will need a small gang.

I find all these random "super hard mode" features they havve added to be more annoying not more fun. I want to be able to choose my difficultly level not be casually doing a haven in my rattlesnake and boom a NPC super dread hot drops me webs and scrams me in mere seconds and pops me before i can get away. Thats not fun, thats annoying.

I want unpredicatable not super NPCs. I want to have a rough idea of what level of difficultly a site is going to be before i go in it. Not doing a site and suddenly feels like i just got hotdropped by NPCs with pvp abilities. I want my PVE to be fun and have from easy mode to impossible but not all in the same site. I want variety , i dont want to see "haven" and be able to tell you exactly what is going to spawn right down to the number of ships and types.

Right now i have to really limit my pve because i will get burned out very quickly on it. So i do a little of this a little of that but most of the time i log in its because i got a ping for pvp fleet going out. I rarely log in for pve anymore, to much like working the parts line in a factory at the moment.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#10 - 2016-06-20 16:05:53 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
The only thing that has decent variety in eve is pvp. Eve itself has a lot of variety in terms of things to do. But once you find something you like say exploration the variety goes down hill greatly. Exploration doesnt feel like exploration. Their is not enough variety of sites. And while they have added a few more sites such as ghost sites and sleeper caches, etc those sites are quite difficult for the average explorer and downright impossible in many exploration ships.

...

Right now i have to really limit my pve because i will get burned out very quickly on it. So i do a little of this a little of that but most of the time i log in its because i got a ping for pvp fleet going out. I rarely log in for pve anymore, to much like working the parts line in a factory at the moment.


PvP can be just as rinse/wash/repeat as PvE. I think you're probably looking at only a select part of EVE, ship v ship. There is a lot more out there. If you think you've mastered everything there is in EVE, then yeah, I could see that being boring.
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#11 - 2016-06-20 17:01:51 UTC
We need a greater variety of upper lip foliage (not beards though)


This (and musical instruments) will make the game better, nothing else

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#12 - 2016-06-20 17:44:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Arkoth 24
Bumblefck wrote:
We need a greater variety of upper lip foliage (not beards though)


This (and musical instruments) will make the game better, nothing else

CCP is too busy already making EvE better.

So much busy so they shut down Evelopedia first and shutting down IGB now:

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/bidding-farewell-to-the-in-game-browser/?_ga=1.186396905.1553338807.1452161616

Quote:
We are a games company and our focus is on making EVE as great a game as we can. Integrating a browser into the EVE client takes a fair amount of work to do and more importantly requires a certain level of upkeep.


Yeah. Sure. Too much busy. Too poor.
Roenok Baalnorn
Sadistically Sinister
#13 - 2016-06-20 18:47:30 UTC
Pandora Carrollon wrote:
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
The only thing that has decent variety in eve is pvp. Eve itself has a lot of variety in terms of things to do. But once you find something you like say exploration the variety goes down hill greatly. Exploration doesnt feel like exploration. Their is not enough variety of sites. And while they have added a few more sites such as ghost sites and sleeper caches, etc those sites are quite difficult for the average explorer and downright impossible in many exploration ships.

...

Right now i have to really limit my pve because i will get burned out very quickly on it. So i do a little of this a little of that but most of the time i log in its because i got a ping for pvp fleet going out. I rarely log in for pve anymore, to much like working the parts line in a factory at the moment.


PvP can be just as rinse/wash/repeat as PvE. I think you're probably looking at only a select part of EVE, ship v ship. There is a lot more out there. If you think you've mastered everything there is in EVE, then yeah, I could see that being boring.

ive been playing 8 years, ive done everything there is to do in eve but fly caps. Which i have 0 interest in as cap warfare is absolutely boring.

PVP is entertaining because you are fighting people and humans by nature are unpredictable. Thus pvp engagements are always somewhat unpredictable.

Recent unpredicatable moments for me. Inty fleet, we catch a carrier off a citadel. He aggresses, he doesnt use his local tank, doesnt call for help, and we kill him with 35-40 interceptors.

Few days later we are gate camping. Bubble the gate. Occator warps in to a perch. Sees bubbles warps away. We think nothing of it and focus on gate fires. 10-20 min later occator comes back. lands gets caught has 2 bil isk worth of stuff in his cargo. Why would you do that?

People are unpredictable. You know what you would do in a situation but you dont know what someone else will do and thus pvp is always fun/entertaining., at least when i do it it is.


Danetta Valens
Phayder Research
NANOBLACK
#14 - 2016-06-20 21:18:59 UTC
Arkoth 24 wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
We need a greater variety of upper lip foliage (not beards though)


This (and musical instruments) will make the game better, nothing else

CCP is too busy already making EvE better.

So much busy so they shut down Evelopedia first and shutting down IGB now:

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/bidding-farewell-to-the-in-game-browser/?_ga=1.186396905.1553338807.1452161616

Quote:
We are a games company and our focus is on making EVE as great a game as we can. Integrating a browser into the EVE client takes a fair amount of work to do and more importantly requires a certain level of upkeep.


Yeah. Sure. Too much busy. Too poor.


Evernus died, trading injured, no one noticed.
Sustrai Aditua
Intandofisa
#15 - 2016-06-20 21:30:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Sustrai Aditua
No variety? That's just an outlandish, unfounded assertion. Too MUCH variety is my take...so much the devs are in the weeds trying to keep the calibration integrated. Fix one thing, nerf another OP another. On and on endlessly. My view of EVE is they've added far too much and just lost control of it.

Not enough variety...ridiculous.

I know! We have a crowd of new players that think they're the gaming geniuses of the internet. They haven't snowed us with "you know what would make this game perfect" ideas, so this begins the avalanche. (When is summer vacation over?)

If we get chased by zombies, I'm tripping you.

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#16 - 2016-06-20 22:49:01 UTC
Roenok Baalnorn wrote:
People are unpredictable. You know what you would do in a situation but you dont know what someone else will do and thus pvp is always fun/entertaining., at least when i do it it is.


My own MMO PvP experience is somewhat different. I've found that people are almost as predictable as the computer because there are efficient ways to fight and it's usually just a combination of those methods you have to watch out for.

I think I can paraphrase the quote of 'The greatest swordsman in the world doesn't fear the second greatest, he fears the worst' because that in unpredictable.

Yeah, I get your point, it's far less predictable than NPC combat, however, I've had the NPC's toss a surprise my way before. At the end of the day, it's actually still more about you and how you fight your ship than the other guy. Most ship v. ship has the outcome predetermined at the start of the engagement, and usually it's in favor of whomever starts the fight.