These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK Cloaky Camping falls under Input Automation definition

First post
Author
Christo Severasse
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2016-06-13 08:02:09 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Christo Severasse wrote:
OP complains about afk cloaky camping as it involves AUTOMATION (even though it clearly doesn't). Wants an afk flag AUTOMATICALLY applied to make it easier to identify them.

*Caps use intentional to highlight 1: hypocrisy and 2: irony.

Not a very bright one are you, but you are in RvB being farmed so what ho, I am not the OP, I am just taking the opportunity to suggest the AFK flag which I do on every AFK Cloaky thread, because so many people say it does not matter as he is AFK so I said OK have an AFK flag and then they all scream it matters, its rather hilarious actually... and rather ironic and dare I say it showing acute levels of hypocrisy.

When you hunt them you have to find out when the little dears are active so you can bait them for results, not while they are snoring their heads off or under the whip at work.

You got my number, bud. Congratulations.
On the other hand I am enjoying the game and not scared my space pixels might get blown up and that I have to spend pretend space money to replace them.

You are not the OP, no matter, my comment is still accurate as you have the same mind set.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#22 - 2016-06-13 08:05:49 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Raging Bull Unchained wrote:
If i´d be on "afk cloaky duty" i want my afk-flag instant please. To show everyone i m no harm.

yes please, even better! Lol

For some odd reason people think that I would be upset with this, not at all, you are at your keyboard so you will be active, as soon as you hit D-scan or anything like that your flag disappears, so works well. Your option is to sit in an anomaly which is totally fine by me.

Thanks for your support on this idea.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#23 - 2016-06-13 08:07:29 UTC
Christo Severasse wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Christo Severasse wrote:
OP complains about afk cloaky camping as it involves AUTOMATION (even though it clearly doesn't). Wants an afk flag AUTOMATICALLY applied to make it easier to identify them.

*Caps use intentional to highlight 1: hypocrisy and 2: irony.

Not a very bright one are you, but you are in RvB being farmed so what ho, I am not the OP, I am just taking the opportunity to suggest the AFK flag which I do on every AFK Cloaky thread, because so many people say it does not matter as he is AFK so I said OK have an AFK flag and then they all scream it matters, its rather hilarious actually... and rather ironic and dare I say it showing acute levels of hypocrisy.

When you hunt them you have to find out when the little dears are active so you can bait them for results, not while they are snoring their heads off or under the whip at work.

You got my number, bud. Congratulations.
On the other hand I am enjoying the game and not scared my space pixels might get blown up and that I have to spend pretend space money to replace them.

You are not the OP, no matter, my comment is still accurate as you have the same mind set.

Oh really, so you are saying someone who wants to hunt them but does not want to waste his time when they are AFK has the same mindset, wow, I repeat you are not very bright are you, perfect material for the kill farmers in RvB, have fun...

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#24 - 2016-06-13 08:09:05 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
If i´d be on "afk cloaky duty" i want my afk-flag instant please. To show everyone i m no harm.

For some odd reason people think that I would be upset with this, not at all, you are at your keyboard so you will be active, as soon as you hit D-scan or anything like that your flag disappears, so works well. Your option is to sit in an anomaly which is totally fine by me.

so moving your mouse will flag you as active?

Just Add Water

Soel Reit
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2016-06-13 08:13:31 UTC
carebears Shocked carebears everywhere Shocked

keep up the good work afk campers! god bless you all! you are our hope!PiratePirate
lovely tears OPCool
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#26 - 2016-06-13 08:16:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:

so moving your mouse will flag you as active?

No for obvious reasons, interacting with the client will however, so you have to click on something, it does not matter if they get intel like joe blogs has warped in with his carrier, totally fine with that, I want active play rewarded and people to take risk.

Before the watch list changes the key thing was to log all of the active hot droppers in the area, so you could create a risk assessment pattern, you caoul see when they dropped etc., now without the watch list its harder. This is the most rewarding and destructive AFK play in the game and it needs to be sorted.

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#27 - 2016-06-13 08:21:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Bull Unchained
What if the cloaker only hides because you nasties are active? Maybe they turn active as soon as all of you docked up?
The cloak-"problem" appeared the first time within the week after cloaks were seeded.

If you leave jokes and all trolling aside i can understand how the so called "afk-cloakers" interfere with your method of gaming.
But if you´re honest: without them your ISK farming would be without any risk (from other players).
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2016-06-13 08:27:06 UTC
what a time to be alive

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#29 - 2016-06-13 08:29:41 UTC
What if the cloaker only hides because you nasties are active? Maybe they turn active as soon as all of you docked up?
The cloak-"problem" appeared the first time within the week after cloaks were seeded.

If you leave jokes and all trolling aside i can understand how the so called "afk-cloakers" interfere with your method of gaming.
But if you´re honest: without them you´re ISK farming would be without any risk (from other players).

It will have risk, because people can fake the AFK flag sitting in an anomaly which I am totally fine with, furthermore it will make people more likely to come out rather than turtle up totally defeated. And enable hunters like me to know when to focus our efforts, I love killing campers, best part of the game for me.

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2016-06-13 08:31:26 UTC
lets just remove damn local from the whole game apart from trade hubs because people pick up great deals on hanger clearouts and under buy-order plexes.

fixed eve thxbye

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
#31 - 2016-06-13 08:37:26 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
as much as i think the op is way off the mark,, lmao

cloaky afk camping has been a part of the game for a very very long time and isn't going away anytime soon.

but i will say this, it's a well used tactic with no direct counter to it. IE: you can't scan down or disrupt the cloak of the afk ship.
i've said it before on these forums in threads like this, i love stealth ships, use them a lot myself, but always found it strange that there wasn't a counter module to the cloak and i've said i'd welcome one because it would only make things that bit more interesting Rolland fun as far as i'm concerned.

but hey, afk cloaky campers are not going away and CCP will not react well to this thread hahahahahaha ah well,, some things in EVE forums just never go away,. Roll
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#32 - 2016-06-13 08:37:38 UTC
*chime*

The offices of Mr King-Griffin would like to thank you for your time.

Mr King-Griffin is currently AFK and unable to service your thread.

Your nerf AFK Cloaking thread is important to us

Please continue posting

*chime*

*musac - the girl from ipanema*
Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#33 - 2016-06-13 08:38:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Bull Unchained
But removing local is no help at all for this "issue", because then you allways have to assume that there is an afk cloaker you don´t know of because no local...
Linus Gorp
Ministry of Propaganda and Morale
#34 - 2016-06-13 08:44:38 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
An AFK flag after an hour of no activity which gets removed with any interaction with the client, with policing of the client for any automated activity would be the way to deal with this. I have no problem with cloaky camping by active players, but it is impossible to bait into traps people who are asleep or at work. The focus is on intel gathering to assess risk, CCP please implement this so you no longer reward AFK play.

You want a solution? Remove nullsec local. THAT is the only problem here.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#35 - 2016-06-13 08:47:29 UTC
If instant local chat intel is making you sad, you can always go to the spooky space where there's never any AFK cloaky campers to upset you and make you afraid of cyno hotdrops.

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#36 - 2016-06-13 08:54:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Linus Gorp wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
An AFK flag after an hour of no activity which gets removed with any interaction with the client, with policing of the client for any automated activity would be the way to deal with this. I have no problem with cloaky camping by active players, but it is impossible to bait into traps people who are asleep or at work. The focus is on intel gathering to assess risk, CCP please implement this so you no longer reward AFK play.

You want a solution? Remove nullsec local. THAT is the only problem here.

Go to WH space then.

If it was only local, there is so much free intel in this game its silly, look at all that stuff on Dotlan and on the Eve map, remove those too. In any case CCP will be doing something to local in terms of the observationary structures, you will be getting your wish sort of, because people will have something in space that you can attack to remove that functionality. which is great.

In fact I would have an observational structure that does the AFK flag which requires a structure to have local...

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#37 - 2016-06-13 08:56:55 UTC
Such space-lawyering
Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
#38 - 2016-06-13 09:37:43 UTC
OP delivers with quite a lot of 'pssshhhhhh'.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#39 - 2016-06-13 09:51:30 UTC
Paikis wrote:
This thread comes up on almost a weekly basis. In fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a nerf cloaking thread in the first 2 pages on this forum section. Almost every single one of them goes like this:

1. OP posts a post with a new (lol) idea that always boils down to some variation of the following:
- "There's a big meanie who is sitting in my system and not doing anything, but I don't know where he is and I can't ever just go next door. I can't find said meanie and even though I know that he's probably at work and poses no threat at all, I wont do anything in my system that I absolutely can't leave ever because he might not be at work and I might lose a ship. CCP please stop the meanie from being able to do nothing to me because he's probably at work"

2. Thread gets trolled because its been done literally to death. This horse has been beaten so hard and so often that it's little more than a memory of a memory of a red smear on the grass, and yet it STILL WONT DIE! In fact it's been done so many times that this particular horse is now undead; even if it does die, it will still be remembered and parodied.

3. Someone comes along and suggests that AFK cloakers can't hurt you, because they are, by their very definition, AFK. No one ever lost a ship to someone who ISN'T PLAYING THE GAME.

4. Someone else comes along and points out that while the cloaker might be AFK, he might not be, and so we have Schrodinger's Hot Dropper. The cyno pilot who might be AFK... but he might not be as well, and you will only know for sure when he decloaks, points and lights his candle. (Yes, I know this isn't how the cat works)

5. Someone else comes along and suggests that you use bait and setup a TARP. Or have a defence fleet on standby. Heaven forbid you have to actually fight to defend your space.

6. A further person comes along and suggests that the problem isn't cloaking AFK in your system that you can't possibly leave ever, but that you KNOW that the person is AFK in your system... and perhaps local should be removed because free 100% accurate intel is probably not the best thing in the game and if you didn't know that the big meanie was in your system, you wouldn't be worried about leaving the undock/POS.

7. Then another person pokes their head in and complains that local is 100% NEEDED because D-Scan and probing are such bad mechanics, and IF YOU TAKE MY LOCAL AWAY IM QUITTING FOREVER AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MY STUFF!

8. Someone asks if they can have 7's stuff.

We end up with another thread which goes on for pages and pages between complains about local, defence fleets, inability to just go next door, people who aren't playing the game but are playing the meta, lots of bickering and in the end nothing gets solved. CCP wont remove cloaking because it would mess with waaay too many things and it creates content (which is a good thing) by removing content (which is a bad thing) but they can't really think of any way to do it without a complete overhaul of the local and scanning systems.

Now that I've had this entire thread's conversation, can we just let it die? Please?
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#40 - 2016-06-13 09:54:39 UTC
Hawke Frost wrote:
OP is an idiot.