These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

AFK Cloaky Camping falls under Input Automation definition

First post
Author
Miss Scordite
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-06-13 05:38:23 UTC
According to an official definition of "Input Automation" posted in a sticky post:

Quote:

This term is used to describe, but is not limited to, the automation of actions which have consequences in the EVE universe.

AFK Cloaky Camping falls under the Input Automation definition.

By "AFK Cloaky Camping" I mean a situation when a player gets into a system (usually owned by an alliance and used by its members to mine or kill NPCs, but specifics of a system do not matter here) in a ship with a cloaking device, activates the cloaking device and goes AFK. They usually stay online for the most part of the day - they login right after the downtime and stay online until the next downtime.

The purpose of this action is to poses a threat to inhabitants of the system, as they can not know if the camper is currently active or not, and whether he can attack inhabitants at any particular moment or not.

The tactic described above falls under the Input Automation definition, because:

• This is an automation - player's ship remains cloaked and present in a system by itself, without any attention paid to a game client. Just because there is no third-party software doesn't mean this action is not performed automatically;
  • This action has consequences in the EVE universe - presence of an enemy ship in a system makes inhabitants change what they do or how they do in the system.

In other words, an AFK camper makes an impact on the universe while not paying attention to his game client.

I would like to ask for an official clarification from a CCP representative, if they agree with me on this matter.
Galaxxis
The Regency
The Monarchy
#2 - 2016-06-13 05:39:41 UTC
kthxbye

/thread
Zar Myx
New Eden Browncoats
#3 - 2016-06-13 05:55:47 UTC
afk cloaky camping is really cancer. And we know the following supporters are nothing but cancer markers. If you are at the keyboard, I 100% support your ability and right to be cloaked, but after 10-15 minutes, you desire to die you lazy frak'n diseased cell.
lanyaie
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#4 - 2016-06-13 06:01:06 UTC  |  Edited by: lanyaie
Input automation....pretty sure it describes itself pretty accurately. Yet somehow you managed to find a way to interpret it in a completely different way.
Activating the cloak (input) itself is done by the user - as such the action is not automated.

Spaceprincess

People who put passwords on char bazaar Eveboards are the worst.

Paranoid Loyd
#5 - 2016-06-13 06:04:17 UTC
Roll

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Hawke Frost
#6 - 2016-06-13 06:04:19 UTC
OP is an idiot.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#7 - 2016-06-13 06:14:58 UTC
An AFK flag after an hour of no activity which gets removed with any interaction with the client, with policing of the client for any automated activity would be the way to deal with this. I have no problem with cloaky camping by active players, but it is impossible to bait into traps people who are asleep or at work. The focus is on intel gathering to assess risk, CCP please implement this so you no longer reward AFK play.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2016-06-13 06:51:32 UTC
AFK cloaking falls under P2W. By definition they just pay CCP 15 or 20 dollars to cloak up in a system and prevent other players from undocking. I say we make a public record of all AFK cloakers with their full name, home address and picture. Furthermore I propose we put GPS bracelets on all AFK cloakers so that we know if they are indeed AFK or not.

I would also like to add if you actually support any of this you are a moronic carebear that can't handle any risk and can't differentiate real life from a game.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#9 - 2016-06-13 06:57:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Miss Scordite wrote:
I would like to ask for an official clarification from a CCP representative, if they agree with me on this matter.

Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Has cloaking been patched out of the game? How long has it been in the game?

Have devs commented on it being ok? (here for reference: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=410941)

What more official clarification do you want than just logging in and seeing that it is fine, has been fine for a long time and has been stated as fine by senior game designers?

Nice take on it though. At least original (and funny).

So, maybe just move to a wormhole and all your AFK cloaking concerns will magically resolve themselves.

In wormhole space you won't be paranoid, because they are there and they will get you. J-Space dwellers seem to deal with that just fine.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#10 - 2016-06-13 06:57:28 UTC
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#11 - 2016-06-13 07:05:17 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
AFK cloaking falls under P2W. By definition they just pay CCP 15 or 20 dollars to cloak up in a system and prevent other players from undocking. I say we make a public record of all AFK cloakers with their full name, home address and picture. Furthermore I propose we put GPS bracelets on all AFK cloakers so that we know if they are indeed AFK or not.

I would also like to add if you actually support any of this you are a moronic carebear that can't handle any risk and can't differentiate real life from a game.

Calm down AFK Cloaky camper!

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Shallanna Yassavi
qwertz corp
#12 - 2016-06-13 07:10:37 UTC
To: nullbears who don't like afk cloaking
1: Find out who's AFK cloaking you and do it in their home system.
2: Do some AFK cloaking of your own in the system they're trying to mess with. Then they have to ask if they feel lucky enough to take a shot at you. If you have smartbombing battleships, you can make them regret bringing a covert cyno.
3: Set up a gatecamp and move to a different system. If they want to follow, afk cloaker has to brave a slightly alert gatecamp.
4: AFK cloak in Jita. There are so many people there, someone's got to get mad about an AFK cloaker.

-a hibear

A signature :o

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#13 - 2016-06-13 07:16:00 UTC
OP needs to train Reading Comprehension V asap.

Just Add Water

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#14 - 2016-06-13 07:18:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Shallanna Yassavi wrote:
To: nullbears who don't like afk cloaking
1: Find out who's AFK cloaking you and do it in their home system.
2: Do some AFK cloaking of your own in the system they're trying to mess with. Then they have to ask if they feel lucky enough to take a shot at you. If you have smartbombing battleships, you can make them regret bringing a covert cyno.
3: Set up a gatecamp and move to a different system. If they want to follow, afk cloaker has to brave a slightly alert gatecamp.
4: AFK cloak in Jita. There are so many people there, someone's got to get mad about an AFK cloaker.

-a hibear

1. Not always possible, but I did that to Razor once to expensive affect
2. Only has an impact when they are active
3. Only has an impact if they are active
4. That silly little joke again that quite frankly makes you look rather silly for pretty obvious reasons, can't you people think of a better one

To the OP, quite an original suggestion, but nah not going to work., you just got a few Eve forum warriors excited enough to go into their carebear hate routine which is kinda funny, nice one...

Spazzy Fit
Citalopram Appreciation Society
#15 - 2016-06-13 07:26:38 UTC
This thread delivers. In before the lock?

On topic, if you have this issue then get on comms, get in fleet and have a plan. Or sit in station and ***** about it on here. Up to you snowflake!
Christo Severasse
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2016-06-13 07:32:52 UTC
OP complains about afk cloaky camping as it involves AUTOMATION (even though it clearly doesn't). Wants an afk flag AUTOMATICALLY applied to make it easier to identify them.

*Caps use intentional to highlight 1: hypocrisy and 2: irony.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#17 - 2016-06-13 07:37:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Christo Severasse wrote:
OP complains about afk cloaky camping as it involves AUTOMATION (even though it clearly doesn't). Wants an afk flag AUTOMATICALLY applied to make it easier to identify them.

Not a very bright one are you, but you are in RvB being farmed so what ho, I am not the OP, I am just taking the opportunity to suggest the AFK flag which I do on every AFK Cloaky thread, because so many people say it does not matter as he is AFK so I said OK have an AFK flag and then they all scream it matters, its rather hilarious actually... and rather ironic and dare I say it showing acute levels of hypocrisy.

When you hunt them you have to find out when the little dears are active so you can bait them for results, not while they are snoring their heads off or under the whip at work.

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#18 - 2016-06-13 07:54:10 UTC
If i´d be on "afk cloaky duty" i want my afk-flag instant please. To show everyone i m no harm.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#19 - 2016-06-13 07:56:25 UTC
Raging Bull Unchained wrote:
If i´d be on "afk cloaky duty" i want my afk-flag instant please. To show everyone i m no harm.

yes please, even better! Lol

Just Add Water

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#20 - 2016-06-13 08:01:48 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Christo Severasse wrote:

Not a very bright one are you, but you are in RvB being farmed so what ho, I am not the OP, I am just taking the opportunity to suggest the AFK flag which I do on every AFK Cloaky thread, because I want to AFK rat with no concerns...

FTFY

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

123Next pageLast page