These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Dev blog: Shadow of the Serpent: Signal the Dawn

First post
Author
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 - 2016-06-09 14:59:43 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Phantom
With the June release on June 28, we bring back events with a completely overhauled design making them much better visible.

Together with this new event "Shadow of the Serpent: Signal the Dawn" we also introduce a new event framework to help you participate in the various tasks of this event and to enable you to influence the EVE Online storyline.

Check out the exciting changes in CCP Affinity's latest blog Shadow of the Serpent: Signal the Dawn.


Please note that all images in the dev blog are placeholders and that as such the text visible in the images does not reflect the event content.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2016-06-09 15:08:57 UTC
Well, the Dev Blog is a little vague about the actual timing. Is there an event happening "over the next few weeks", or does it all start after June 28th.

Either way, sounds great. More content is always welcome!

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Loki Feiht
Pathfinders.
Shattered Freeholds
#3 - 2016-06-09 15:10:29 UTC
How do we join the Serpentis side?

More NPC - Randomly Generated Modular Content thread https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=220858

CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 - 2016-06-09 15:14:12 UTC
Elenahina wrote:
Well, the Dev Blog is a little vague about the actual timing. Is there an event happening "over the next few weeks", or does it all start after June 28th.

Either way, sounds great. More content is always welcome!



It starts on June 28th :)

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2016-06-09 15:14:32 UTC
Loki Feiht wrote:
How do we join the Serpentis side?


by hunting down the capsuleers in the Serpentis sites ;)

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

Kenji Noguchi
Duendes Merodeadores
#6 - 2016-06-09 15:23:26 UTC
Excellent work! This was a long needed feature!!
Akrasjel Lanate
Lanate Industries
#7 - 2016-06-09 15:27:59 UTC
Does this means that Live Events from the past with actors and such are not coming back ?


Loki Feiht wrote:
How do we join the Serpentis side?

You know that would mean effort from CCP

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#8 - 2016-06-09 15:28:26 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Loki Feiht wrote:
How do we join the Serpentis side?


by hunting down the capsuleers in the Serpentis sites ;)

Does that mean all content will be in low, null, and W, with nothing in high sec (where hunting other players is not very practical)?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#9 - 2016-06-09 15:29:37 UTC
Akrasjel Lanate wrote:
Does this means that Live Events from the past with actors and such are not coming back ?


Loki Feiht wrote:
How do we join the Serpentis side?

You know that would mean effort from CCP


Not at all :) This is something completely different to those style of live events and there's room for both to exist!

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

Circumstantial Evidence
#10 - 2016-06-09 15:37:26 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Loki Feiht wrote:
How do we join the Serpentis side?
by hunting down the capsuleers in the Serpentis sites ;)
...and, don't raid any "loot" containers while you're in there - that's Serpentis property!
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#11 - 2016-06-09 15:50:08 UTC
CCP Affinity wrote:
Elenahina wrote:
Well, the Dev Blog is a little vague about the actual timing. Is there an event happening "over the next few weeks", or does it all start after June 28th.

Either way, sounds great. More content is always welcome!



It starts on June 28th :)


This event looks very exciting. Unfortunately, it begins the day I start driving across the country. Why can't you take my personal schedule into account, CCP?

Just kidding, it will be a nice thing to look forward to at the end of each 1000-mile day.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

StarLite
Lazor Destruction Technologies inc.
#12 - 2016-06-09 15:55:24 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
CCP Affinity wrote:
Elenahina wrote:
Well, the Dev Blog is a little vague about the actual timing. Is there an event happening "over the next few weeks", or does it all start after June 28th.

Either way, sounds great. More content is always welcome!



It starts on June 28th :)


This event looks very exciting. Unfortunately, it begins the day I start driving across the country. Why can't you take my personal schedule into account, CCP?

Just kidding, it will be a nice thing to look forward to at the end of each 1000-mile day.

Move to a smaller country, you'll be done in a couple of hours max! ;)

I liek this style of event.
It reminds me a lot of what other MMO's do, which isn't bad per sé.

I am curious to see how this pans out. I do agree that the previous events were too invisible to a lot of players, this seems like a nice framework to use for more events in the future.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#13 - 2016-06-09 16:11:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
FT Diomedes wrote:
CCP Affinity wrote:
Elenahina wrote:
Well, the Dev Blog is a little vague about the actual timing. Is there an event happening "over the next few weeks", or does it all start after June 28th.

Either way, sounds great. More content is always welcome!



It starts on June 28th :)


This event looks very exciting. Unfortunately, it begins the day I start driving across the country. Why can't you take my personal schedule into account, CCP?

Just kidding, it will be a nice thing to look forward to at the end of each 1000-mile day.

These events together with SCOPE framework should be parmenent and somewhat random, with changing theme, and should replace this dailies.
Serenol Marwysgar
Dot.Inc
#14 - 2016-06-09 16:14:53 UTC
I really like this.

One of my "issues" with the previous events were that I had a limited amount of time to play, and finding the event sites took up most of my time. Then there was the unknowns like, "could I do this in a DD, or do I need a CL or BC?"

I appreciate the more clear and defined requirements to participate. Like, "mine X of Y" is easily understandable. "Build X of Y" is likewise clearly defined. Any DED sites could have a short intel-brief that might mention "you might be expected to face a Serpentis cruiser force." That would be vague enough to not know what to expect, but clear enough that a cruiser is the most powerful ship(s) in the site.

Especially for new(er)bros, providing in-game information makes the game more accessible. Not everyone might enjoy facing the penultimate boss in EVE to discover what they need to know.

Also, if sites are part of an event there need to be enough of them! As I mentioned before, finding a Crimson or Angel site was very difficult, especially in Hisec (which made me feel that the event was more for Null players than me.)

So yea: accessibility, clarity, availability are important to me to participate.
Alain Colcer
Nadire Security Consultants
#15 - 2016-06-09 16:50:35 UTC
looks great!

what will be the behavior when multiple people work together to complete sites/missiones/assignments?
CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2016-06-09 16:53:02 UTC
Alain Colcer wrote:
looks great!

what will be the behavior when multiple people work together to complete sites/missiones/assignments?


Everyone gets the reward :) So if multiple people are in the site when it is completed, everyone gets the reward.

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

Circumstantial Evidence
#17 - 2016-06-09 17:05:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Circumstantial Evidence
I think more logic should be added to site spawning, so that less sites spawn in systems where less are being completed, (perhaps set a max active number) and those potential spawns are redirected elsewhere. The total number of sites spawning would stay the same.


Serenol Marwysgar wrote:
I really like this.

One of my "issues" with the previous events were that I had a limited amount of time to play, and finding the event sites took up most of my time. Then there was the unknowns like, "could I do this in a DD, or do I need a CL or BC?" [..snip..] Also, if sites are part of an event there need to be enough of them! As I mentioned before, finding a Crimson or Angel site was very difficult, especially in Hisec (which made me feel that the event was more for Null players than me.)

So yea: accessibility, clarity, availability are important to me to participate.
CCP may have an idea of how much loot and value they want to inject into the economy, via site spawn rates. Ofc the "good" loot can be quite rare, I didn't find any of the cooler stuff folks were talking about in the last event, with over 50 sites completed. If combat event sites are made too common, average loot values go down and everyone can gravitate toward their own private site. Less "player interaction" happens, and I don't just mean player pirates. I occasionally found myself in a race for the loot, and some pilots and ship types were better at it.

This upcoming event looks like it is going to include a variety of activities, that should help more play styles to participate, and may help overcome any technical limits to combat-only site distribution.

CCP Affinity wrote:
...if multiple people are in the site when it is completed, everyone gets the reward.
Fixes complaints about "competition" for site rewards in highsec... is this a form of the Incursion rewards model? That already has a UI that directs players to the "event."
CCP Affinity
C C P
C C P Alliance
#18 - 2016-06-09 17:07:22 UTC
Circumstantial Evidence wrote:
I think more logic should be added to site spawning, so that less sites spawn in systems where less are being completed, (perhaps set a max active number) and those potential spawns are redirected elsewhere. The total number of sites spawning would stay the same.


Serenol Marwysgar wrote:
I really like this.

One of my "issues" with the previous events were that I had a limited amount of time to play, and finding the event sites took up most of my time. Then there was the unknowns like, "could I do this in a DD, or do I need a CL or BC?" [..snip..] Also, if sites are part of an event there need to be enough of them! As I mentioned before, finding a Crimson or Angel site was very difficult, especially in Hisec (which made me feel that the event was more for Null players than me.)

So yea: accessibility, clarity, availability are important to me to participate.
CCP may have an idea of how much loot and value they want to inject into the economy, via site spawn rates. Ofc the "good" loot can be quite rare, I didn't find any of the cooler stuff folks were talking about in the last event, with over 50 sites completed. If combat event sites are made too common, average loot values go down and everyone can gravitate toward their own private site. Less "player interaction" happens, and I don't just mean player pirates. I occasionally found myself in a race for the loot, and some pilots and ship types were better at it.

This upcoming event looks like it is going to include a variety of activities, that should help more play styles to participate, and may help overcome any technical limits to combat-only site distribution.



The site spawning issue - we fixed this :) This is pretty much exactly how it will happen now!

♥ CCP Affinity ♥

Follow me on Twitter

Game Designer for EVE Online

Team Astro Sparkle

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#19 - 2016-06-09 17:23:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
CCP Affinity wrote:
Alain Colcer wrote:
looks great!

what will be the behavior when multiple people work together to complete sites/missiones/assignments?


Everyone gets the reward :) So if multiple people are in the site when it is completed, everyone gets the reward.

And everyone gets a chocolate medal.
g0nz028
25 Steal Industries
#20 - 2016-06-09 18:09:28 UTC
What exactly is the reward? Can you exchange the points into something?
123Next pageLast page