These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Request suggestions for new computer build

First post
Author
John E'Texan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2016-06-08 14:22:38 UTC
Looks like with the new OS requirements, I'm going to have to upgrade from my 7+ year old XP machine.

Could anyone post suggestions for a box - either pre-built or parts - that can run Eve well, but does not need to run any higher end games?

I'd like to keep the hardware price in the $600 range if possible. Thanks!
Velarra
#2 - 2016-06-08 14:26:49 UTC
John E'Texan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-06-08 14:28:03 UTC
Does it have HDMI output?
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2016-06-08 14:43:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Elenahina
John E'Texan wrote:
Does it have HDMI output?

No, but the 3d processor is fabulous. Just like real life.

If all you need it to do is run Eve and the internet, you can use a low end prebuilt like this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/4593000.p?id=1219775850518&skuId=4593000

You could probably get by with less in terms of processor power and GPU, if you don't play on highest settings.

By comparison, I normally run about 4 clients at 60fps with no lag on a 6 year old HP with a GeForce 440 and 8 GB of RAM, so the above unit should be fine.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2016-06-08 14:59:45 UTC
I'd consider starting with our system requirements to understand what Eve needs:

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/202748741-System-Requirements

Our minimum-spec systems provide reasonable performance with modest scene complexity, with all graphic settings turned all the way down. A recommended-spec system should be able to perform well in medium to large fleet engagements with most graphic options turned on.

Since you have a pretty aggressive price target, I asked a couple of our performance experts in the office how you might best go cheaper with your choices, and the consensus was that going for a cheaper CPU (a current i5, perhaps, or one of AMD's better modern options) and trying to invest as much as you can in GPU would leave you in the best spot for the future. Of graphics cards currently available, the Nvidia 750 or ATI R9 270 are similar in performance to the recommended 560.

Hope that helps. Good luck choosing your new system!

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Velarra
#6 - 2016-06-08 15:09:17 UTC
You might want to try some google & youtube searches - for build guides. While you may NOT want to actually build a computer yourself, they can be good, educational resources for understanding how to squeeze the most performance from limited resources when you have a shop do it for you.

In particular, - searches similar to: "500$ Computer build guide" or '20## Christmas Computer build guide for 500, 1000, 1500$' or similar types of searches can give you some ideas / things to look at.

Honestly it tends to be difficult to find a good all in one, pre-built computer at a reasonable price. 'Mind it can be done with a bit of luck and a keen eye. Asus is prone to configuring some decent, modestly priced machines. Yet even there, you need to be cautious. I mean, buying a type writer that will check email and 'surf' the web is easy, at a reasonable price.
John E'Texan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2016-06-08 15:16:37 UTC
Thanks for the useful replies!

Any thoughts on this build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/q1-2016-system-builder-marathon-662-dollar-budget-pc,4523.html

with, perhaps, an upgrade from the i3 to an i5 processor?
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2016-06-08 15:38:50 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Darwin
One thing to consider is that the i3-6100 is faster for single core processing (which is the case that best matches up with Eve) than the i5 series. I'd suggest considering putting that money into the GPU instead and put the money into a 960, or even a 970, if Eve if your primary use case for the system.

The i5, of course, being quad- rather than dual-core, would be a better choice if you're planning to do other work with the computer like video encoding that benefits from multithreaded processing.

(Thanks to CCP Saviour and CCP Sledgehammer for providing the benefit of their long hours in our test lab to help inform this advice.)

Edit: Also, there are new generations of graphics cards coming available in the next month or so from AMD and Nvidia that may allow you to get more for less. I can't speak to their availability, and it might not be possible to have a system ready for June 30th that uses such a card. However, might be worth starting with a super-cheap alternative GPU (or even the GPU you already have) and swapping out for a new one in a month or two if you do the research and feel that's the way to go.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Hawke Frost
#9 - 2016-06-08 15:59:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Hawke Frost
- any not super terrible i5 processor
- 8GB ram
- any HDD
- any GTX 950/960

You could go a little bit cheaper but you'd hurt performance by a lot, not that you need it right now but if the price difference isn't huge, and it won't be, you might as well get something that's actually decent.
Velarra
#10 - 2016-06-08 16:11:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Velarra
I'd also suggest the TI-88 or TI-89. Some real spiffy cutting edge hardware there :)
The 89 even features a titanium build..
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#11 - 2016-06-08 16:32:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
CCP Darwin wrote:
One thing to consider is that the i3-6100 is faster for single core processing (which is the case that best matches up with Eve) than the i5 series. I'd suggest considering putting that money into the GPU instead and put the money into a 960, or even a 970, if Eve if your primary use case for the system.

The i5, of course, being quad- rather than dual-core, would be a better choice if you're planning to do other work with the computer like video encoding that benefits from multithreaded processing.

(Thanks to CCP Saviour and CCP Sledgehammer for providing the benefit of their long hours in our test lab to help inform this advice.)

Edit: Also, there are new generations of graphics cards coming available in the next month or so from AMD and Nvidia that may allow you to get more for less. I can't speak to their availability, and it might not be possible to have a system ready for June 30th that uses such a card. However, might be worth starting with a super-cheap alternative GPU (or even the GPU you already have) and swapping out for a new one in a month or two if you do the research and feel that's the way to go.

Isn't the EVE client multithreaded though? I opened a client just now and it showed in Windows Task Manager as having ~60 open threads (fluctuating somewhat). And from the behavior of the game this seems to be true, otherwise interacting with the UI would freeze up other parts of the game.

Also if you're running multiple clients, the more cores the better.
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#12 - 2016-06-08 16:36:15 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Darwin
Primary This Rifter wrote:
Isn't the EVE client multithreaded though? I opened a client just now and it showed in Windows Task Manager as having ~60 open threads (fluctuating somewhat). And from the behavior of the game this seems to be true, otherwise interacting with the UI would freeze up other parts of the game.

The Eve client is certainly multithreaded. However, the bulk of the CPU usage of the client is in the Python interpreter, which is restricted to working on one thread at a time by Python's Global Interpreter Lock. Multithreading in Python speeds things up a great deal when many threads are waiting on I/O (such as rendering with the GPU or reading from or writing to disk or the network), but not so much when things are CPU-bound.

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#13 - 2016-06-08 16:38:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Primary This Rifter
CCP Darwin wrote:
Primary This Rifter wrote:

The Eve client is certainly multithreaded. However, the bulk of the CPU usage of the client is in the Python interpreter, which is restricted to one thread by Python's Global Interpreter Lock. Multithreading in Python speeds things up a great deal when many threads are waiting on I/O (such as rendering with the GPU or reading from or writing to disk or the network), but not so much when things are CPU-bound.

Does the Python interpreter get one thread for each process that uses it, or one for all of them?

If it's the former (actually this was probably a dumb question) then more cores is still better for multiboxing. Be interesting to benchmark what effect hyperthreading has.
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 - 2016-06-08 16:45:09 UTC
Python processes are completely independent of each other, so yes, if you're running multiple instances of the client, you might benefit from more cores depending on what you're doing with each client instance. (If one client is CPU-bound and the others are mostly idle, it won't help much.)

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#15 - 2016-06-08 19:34:20 UTC
my current rig:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-headset-asus-g11cd-b11-desktop-package/9999260600050006.p?id=pcmprd259000050006&skuId=9999260600050006

you can get it without the rift, it does everything i need it to do.

i realized i could not save much money and was too lazy to make it myself

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

bardghost Isu
Sub--Zero
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2016-06-08 21:12:10 UTC
OP, For what its worth it may be worth waiting a little while. The new polaris GPU's are around the corner (3-4 weeks) and look capable of offering some danm good power for $200. I'm not sure about CPU's but again the new AMD chips are coming in the next few months, So if you were to go for a current AMD cpu it'll be pretty danm obsolete within the next 6 months.

I don't know what the timeframe for xp discontinuation is off my head, But could I advise the devs to maybe look at holding it off until the next major Chip releases are done so people don't buy some almost obsolete stuff for similar prices to what the new stuff will probably release at.
Geronimo McVain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2016-06-09 08:27:59 UTC
bardghost Isu wrote:
OP, For what its worth it may be worth waiting a little while. The new polaris GPU's are around the corner (3-4 weeks) and look capable of offering some danm good power for $200. I'm not sure about CPU's but again the new AMD chips are coming in the next few months, So if you were to go for a current AMD cpu it'll be pretty danm obsolete within the next 6 months.

I don't know what the timeframe for xp discontinuation is off my head, But could I advise the devs to maybe look at holding it off until the next major Chip releases are done so people don't buy some almost obsolete stuff for similar prices to what the new stuff will probably release at.

If you need singlecore power there is nothing but Intel. I'm an AMD Fan but at the Moment Intel is the way to go. I'm with you about the Polaris GPU, near to the 980 and damm cheap for the power. It's the way that I will upgrade my computer. Intel some 200€ Cpu, Polaris GPU ~200€, Mainboard + Memory something about 150€. What is really worth the buck is an SSD. Not really for games but for overall performance: you click and the program is there.
Geronimo McVain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2016-06-09 08:53:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Geronimo McVain
CCP Darwin wrote:
Maybe put this in the requirements? Not only what is needed but what you should look for: more cores or more clock. On GPUs it's quite simple: more or better MORE power.Big smile But with CPU it's good to know which way to look.
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#19 - 2016-06-09 10:45:41 UTC
Geronimo McVain wrote:
Maybe put this in the requirements? Not only what is needed but what you should look for: more cores or more clock. On GPUs it's quite simple: more or better MORE power.Big smile But with CPU it's good to know which way to look.

Choosing what components to look for in a new computer is a complicated process, and most of our customers don't buy their computers mainly for Eve, and even running Eve our players have very different use cases.

Our minimum and required specs are general guidelines that are intended to help players predict what to expect from Eve on a given system, running a single client. I'm not sure we could capture the complexity of the question you raise in those specs without severely overcomplicating them.

Roenok Baalnorn
Sadistically Sinister
#20 - 2016-06-09 11:44:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Roenok Baalnorn
I use to by prebuilt store PCs and i found them extremely lacking in performance unless you spend close to $900-$1000. The would barely run windows and another program, were often slow, and had a lot of things i didnt need on them while lacking things i did need.

So i started having HP custom build my PCs and have done so for the last 12 years. I ended up with better PCs to fit in my budget with features that were important to me and less extras i didnt care about. It also allowed me to maximize areas up to my max budget. For example If i had a $600 budget and was happy with the PC at $500, i could upgrade the processor and graphics card until i reached $600.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/towers-349501--1/pavilion-desktop-349512--1#!

I am not a fan of AMD processors. I personally found them to overheat easily and run terribly under a load. I havent used on in over a decade so the may not be as bad now. The i series from intel is a great line of processors. I run an older i7 and it runs awesomely even at 5 years old. I like nvidia for graphics but that more personal taste as i had a bad experience with an ATI card and never went back.
12Next page