These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

To badly go...

Author
Neph
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
#21 - 2016-06-04 00:51:52 UTC
Nanako Chosokabe wrote:
Neph wrote:
Combat in New Eden is all about specialization. A jack of all trade is weak to everything. The way a battle is won is when you have the rock to your enemy's scissors. If they have paper, you run.

Thus the saying "90% of your victory is won before you undock". Combat is about either bringing the biggest rock to a rock fight, or about making everybody thinks your paper is actually a tiny, off-color rock. Skills win fights, but deception ensures there never was one.

I humbly disagree. I ran a ton of military simulators back on the home planet and when all things are equal, a great captain with good ship will have the advantage over a good captain with a great ship. You can nullify a ships advantages but you can't nullify a captain's advantages. A highly specialized ship is just that much easier to nullify. As you say, skill wins fights.

...and all that is prefaced with the ancient saying "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

I do believe in rolls of course such as "missile boat" or "tackler" and the obvious specializations that are required to meet those rolls but where I see the problem is when Captains take that to the nth degree.

Probably a fair assessment. Let's not argue particulars when chances are we agree.

~ Gariushi YC110 // Midular YC115 // Yanala YC115 ~

"Orte Jaitovalte sitasuyti ne obuetsa useuut ishu. Ketsiak ishiulyn." -Yakiya Tovil-Toba-taisoka

Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2016-06-04 01:25:25 UTC
Neph wrote:
[quote=Nanako Chosokabe]Probably a fair assessment. Let's not argue particulars when chances are we agree.

Yes sir...we're speaking the same language...our accents might just be slightly off ;)
Aria Jenneth
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#23 - 2016-06-04 04:43:20 UTC
Congratulations on your pilot's license, Ms. Chosokabe.

It's kind of neat seeing such a vocal and apparently well-informed new combat pilot just starting out. I don't remember, anymore, what it was like, at the beginning. I kind of envy your enthusiasm.

I'm curious, though-- when you go into a fight, what sorts of people do you imagine you're killing?
Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2016-06-04 06:46:10 UTC
Aria Jenneth wrote:
Congratulations on your pilot's license, Ms. Chosokabe.

It's kind of neat seeing such a vocal and apparently well-informed new combat pilot just starting out. I don't remember, anymore, what it was like, at the beginning. I kind of envy your enthusiasm.

I'm curious, though-- when you go into a fight, what sorts of people do you imagine you're killing?

Thank-you Captain Jenneth,

I listened to the stories of my trader friend in Jita that I feel that I'm already well versed in many aspects of life in space but the area of combat and ship fitting is mostly new to me...well new in the practical sense as I've poured over the technical manuals and documentation for years now. It's exciting to trying both something new and not something I've been hearing about for years from my friend. Doubly-new?

As for who I want to fight, I'm expecting to go the Navy route, join the factions wars or hunt the criminal element. LowSec once I have a stronger Tristan is a possibility in the not too distant future.

Simply answer to your question: Ones that deserve it.Cool
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#25 - 2016-06-04 07:37:14 UTC
Some of us would argue that precious few people deserve being killed.

Not that it stops us.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#26 - 2016-06-04 14:20:49 UTC
Nanako Chosokabe wrote:
As for who I want to fight, I'm expecting to go the Navy route, join the factions wars or hunt the criminal element. LowSec once I have a stronger Tristan is a possibility in the not too distant future.

Ah. Okay. ... that seems to be a pretty typical Gallentean approach.

... for good or ill ...

Well-- I'll look forward to seeing how and whether that develops, if you keep maintaining your journal here. Thank you for letting us accompany you.
Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2016-06-04 15:59:29 UTC
Stardate: 4.6.2016.118
Region: Essence, Villore (0.5)
Entry: I Just Couldn't Wait

I'm happy (and a little embarrassed) to announce the launch of the HMCS Beacon Hill. This is my first ship and she's a beautiful Tristan-class Gallente frigate. I was busy fitting-up yesterday and thought "What the heck". The only reason I was waiting was that my Level V Drone skill needed a few more days and I thought I should wait for that 5th drone to be available. But then I noticed the bottle of Champagne sitting there just waiting for a reason for it to be smashed over the prow and well....the rest is history...

She flys and fights great! 0.5 rats are now a mere nuisance and LvL I security missions almost pointless. I'm going to have to inject the Social and Connections skills in order to access the level II agents. Time to make a more ISK.

Speaking of which....checked this morning and I've got a net worth of 13.2M ISK with 65% of that in cash too so yay...
Today there is a big festival on the station so I probably won't be doing too much today but If I do, I'll let you know tomorrow!
Kolodi Ramal
Sanxing Yi
#28 - 2016-06-04 16:22:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Kolodi Ramal
Nanako Chosokabe wrote:

By now you have probably already destroyed enough pirate frigates and destroyers that you have killed someone who didn't deserve it. In reality, guilt by association is sometimes not anything more than a convenient excuse and a squirt-bandage for your conscience. If you've destroyed State ships, you've killed some number of people who didn't deserve it. If you've destroyed Empire ships, you've killed some number of slaves who had no choice at all.
If you join the militia, you will be focusing on killing more and more Caldari people who joined their navy for lots of different reasons and were assigned to the ships that ended up in front of you. You will kill more Imperial slaves and a number of free Amarrians who actually didn't do anything wrong but joined the Imperial Navy for the pay or because they thought it was a way to serve and protect or for other reasons that aren't bad in themselves.
If you ever hunt capsuleer ships bigger than frigates in lowsec, most of the people you kill will not deserve it. They are not responsible for what the pilot does.

If four words and a sunglasses smiley still make you feel confident about each and every life you end...you're already walking the path to giving up your humanity.
Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2016-06-04 16:47:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Nanako Chosokabe
Kolodi Ramal wrote:
[quote=Nanako Chosokabe]As for who I want to fight, I'm expecting to go the Navy route, join the factions wars or hunt the criminal element. LowSec once I have a stronger Tristan is a possibility in the not too distant future.

[quote=Kolodi Ramal]If four words and a sunglasses smiley still make you feel confident about each and every life you end...you're already walking the path to giving up your humanity.

Or another way to look at that is if you are willing to pilot or work on an armed ship then you, by the vary nature of your choice, have put yourself in the path of violence. Every sailor on a navel vessel is there to support the ships roll which it to fight/kill and if they have a problem with that then they never should have joined-up in the first place. Same goes for crews on criminal or suspect ships; it's their choice to be there.

Yes the issue of slaves is a tough one but at the end of the day, the sun does not shine on everyone...

So before you apply my flippant "deserve it" to everyone equally know that I don't. If the ship is a valid target (to me) then so is everyone else on that ship. This are the rules of war, which humanity created, and I accept them, totally.

Anyone wringing their hands while at the same time earning their ISK from behind a couple thousand m³ of steel, weaponry and engines should really head back down to a planets surface and open a flower shop.
Stitcher
Caldari State
#30 - 2016-06-04 20:47:52 UTC
Like I said, doesn't stop me. I just gave up on trying to rationalize it.

That way madness lies.

AKA Hambone

Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2016-06-04 23:59:05 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
Like I said, doesn't stop me. I just gave up on trying to rationalize it.

That way madness lies.

To do things without purpose or reason is the definition of madness...Having structure, rules, guides and boundary limits, regardless of whether you personally agree with them, gives one direction, purpose and a foundation to base all their actions on.
Stitcher
Caldari State
#32 - 2016-06-05 00:15:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
You're not wrong.

The problem, however, is inherent to the state of capsuleerdom - We kill. We're a force of nature that way.

Your options are to let that bother you, (in which case, that way madness lies)

...Or to not let it bother you. (in which case that way madness lies)

If that sounds like a lose-lose, that's exactly what it is. The only winning move in that game is to not play.

I've been at this for ten and a half years. I've tried to rationalize the amount of death I've caused, and failed dismally. The simple truth is that the overwhelming majority of the people who've died under my guns were blameless schmucks who were just trying to make it through to the next day.

The only satisfactory balance point I've been able to find is this - everyone dies eventually. So really I've not inflicted anything on them that time and entropy wouldn't have done in the long run anyway.

And if that sounds callous and slightly mad, then it probably is, but it's helped me continue to feel euthymic, which is about as much as you can ask for.

AKA Hambone

Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2016-06-05 05:30:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ayallah
Nanako Chosokabe wrote:
This are the rules of war, which humanity created, and I accept them, totally.

Humanity did not create the rules of war, they are the rules of nature.
Around before us, and after. Calling them rules is a fools errand for what they are is a lack of rules; The only rule is there are no rules.

It is comforting to think you have some measure of humanity because you grieve for those you kill or who die at your order. That comfort is a lie, no one was made to be less dead because the living responsible for it had lower levels of norepinephrine and serotonin after the fact. Discard the sentiment, and be less vulnerable to failure. This is the best way to save your ships crews and the best way to improve as a combat pilot. Let go of these attachments.

For thousands of years people have idolized the warrior who ignores pain or fear. But it is the warriors who ignore sentiment who become feared for what they can do. Idols can be false and fears can be shadows but only the latter is borne from the instinct to survive. That instinct is the strongest we have, overruled only in extreme circumstance or worn down over years like a stone.

Kolodi Ramal wrote:
If or when you fly anything bigger than a frigate, be good to your crews and try to keep them safe.

Poor advice borne out of sentiment. As the class of your ship increases so to does its value. It is not a large ship that as a whole is worth more than any member of its crew. Being 'good' to your crew is not what you are there for. Be the best for your crew. Many ships with nice captains end up dead metal drifting in space. Fewer, with captains who do what is most fit and not what is the most comforting.

The individuals do not matter outside of their own competence, do not be afraid to impose your will. Your ship is your domain. Remember it is the ship as a whole that keeps all alive, including you. You have a job to do or a mission to accomplish and trying to keep your crew 'safe' is bowing to an illusion. Your crew will never be safe, ensure their lives are spent wisely and you serve them and yourself best.

Good luck new pilot.

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

Claudia Osyn
Non-Hostile Target
Wild Geese.
#34 - 2016-06-05 07:47:27 UTC
Ayallah wrote:

Kolodi Ramal wrote:
If or when you fly anything bigger than a frigate, be good to your crews and try to keep them safe.

Poor advice borne out of sentiment. As the class of your ship increases so to does its value. It is not a large ship that as a whole is worth more than any member of its crew. Being 'good' to your crew is not what you are there for. Be the best for your crew. Many ships with nice captains end up dead metal drifting in space. Fewer, with captains who do what is most fit and not what is the most comforting.

The individuals do not matter outside of their own competence, do not be afraid to impose your will. Your ship is your domain. Remember it is the ship as a whole that keeps all alive, including you. You have a job to do or a mission to accomplish and trying to keep your crew 'safe' is bowing to an illusion. Your crew will never be safe, ensure their lives are spent wisely and you serve them and yourself best.

Good luck new pilot.

This I agree with. However, it never hurts to be kind to your crew to boost moral. Just don't allow yourself to become attached so much that you second guess yourself for fear of their safety, it will end with all of them dead and you without an ISK to your name to show for it.

A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2016-06-05 19:04:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Nanako Chosokabe
Stardate: 5.7.2016.118
Entry: System Cleared

I had limited time yesterday so after mounting a Salvage unit to an empty top slot, I went out and cleared-out the whole Villore system of rats and boosted my net worth up to 20M ISK. HMCS Beacon Hill is performing admirably and I never even needed to turn on the hull repair module. She's quite the ship. Looking forward to getting hired on to do some Level II security missions for the Navy in the next day or two.

Going to be spending most of the day on the station today...
Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2016-06-05 19:15:55 UTC
Claudia Osyn wrote:
However, it never hurts to be kind to your crew to boost moral. Just don't allow yourself to become attached so much that you second guess yourself for fear of their safety, it will end with all of them dead and you without an ISK to your name to show for it.

I think in general it's always better to be flexible and adaptable to new situation rather than be polarized and adhere to strict pseudo-religious dogma that only allows you to act one way all the time. That's a sure fired way to become predictable and therefore an easy target.

Case-by-case, day-by-day and scenario-by-scenario...learn, adapt and overcome.

How you treat your crew also should follow that logic. Strong, fair leadership that rewards "above and beyond" though/actions but also is not afraid to increase the pressure/penalties if performance is not being surpassed.
Ayallah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2016-06-05 20:48:01 UTC
As you move on from frigates I hope you delegate things such as crew morale to an XO or ship psychologist/chaplain instead of foolishly trying to befriend or manage the crews of your ships yourself.

Goddess of the IGS

As strength goes.

Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2016-06-05 21:05:47 UTC
Ayallah wrote:
As you move on from frigates I hope you delegate things such as crew morale to an XO or ship psychologist/chaplain instead of foolishly trying to befriend or manage the crews of your ships yourself.

Treating your crew right doesn't mean personally patting them on the back or applying band-aids when they get a boo-boo, it means that they know you have their best interest in mind just as they should have my (the ships's) best interest in their minds. And of course I will have the correct staff on board to take care of crew directly as that is not the roll of the capsuleer....
Aria Jenneth
Khimi Harar
#39 - 2016-06-06 05:28:21 UTC
... so-- can we maybe let her get back to telling her story?

As much as I do understand I sort of started this, maybe it should stop.
Nanako Chosokabe
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2016-06-06 15:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Nanako Chosokabe
Stardate: 6.6.2016.118
Entry: Lazy Sunday

As figured, yesterday was a pretty quiet day with most of it spent doing things around the station. There's a "Sunday Market" each week pretty much on every station so I took advantage of that and got some fresh produce. I did do a quick "rat-run" to test new weaponry; Upgraded the guns to Anode Light Neutron Particle Canons that I had salvaged from wrecks. That gets my damage output from gun alone to just about 42DPS.

Today's the day when my Drone skill completes installation and will allow for a full complement of drones. It will also allow for new skill which will further boost the performance of my little guys. Expensive but well worth it.

Can't wait to start on level II missions! I hope the ship can handle a stealth module as I'd love to take her down to LowSec also...maybe later in the week.