These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Acquiring suspect flag = weapons timer

Author
nezroy
Nice Clan
#1 - 2016-06-03 17:29:32 UTC  |  Edited by: nezroy
Pretty much as subject says. Acquiring a suspect flag should also give you a weapons timer.

No, I wasn't baited, nor am I salty, blah blah rabble rabble. Quite the opposite; I've baited many a flag-ignorant person and enjoyed that moment of surprise.

However, I think it would make for a slightly more natural experience for new players and flag-ignorants alike; if you see someone go flashy in front of your eyes you'll get your one minute of expected "deception free" behavior with no ejecting to pod, no immediate ship swapping, no docking games, etc. Since all the methods of acquiring a suspect flag are basically "an act of aggression against a capsuleer", it makes sense anyway with the weapons timer description. It would provide a bit more weight to "in the heat of the moment" criminal choices.

The benefit of this suggestion is that it doesn't kill suspect baiting in general; dedicated baiters (or gank loot scoopers or whoever else) just need to get their flags a minute ahead of time and wait out the weapons timer before going on grid with whoever they are trying to sucker. So it still gives full advantage to folks who are flag-savvy. This is of course assuming that ONLY acquiring, and not refreshing, a suspect flag produces the weapons timer, which I think is a fair balance -- doing it on refresh too would completely kill bait games which isn't what I'm aiming for here.
Iain Cariaba
#2 - 2016-06-03 21:08:27 UTC
Since all methods to get a suspect timer that involve actually using weapons give weapon timers, why should someone get a weapons timer when they don't use a weapon?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#3 - 2016-06-03 21:15:48 UTC
no weapon

no weapon timer
Leto Aramaus
Black Fox Marauders
Pen Is Out
#4 - 2016-06-03 21:22:47 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Since all methods to get a suspect timer that involve actually using weapons give weapon timers, why should someone get a weapons timer when they don't use a weapon?


Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

no weapon

no weapon timer


While I don't necessarily agree with OP yet, your guys' arguments are not good. You're just being overly semantic. It's called a "weapons timer" now, but if we changed it to "aggression timer" what would your argument be?

OP, what actions give suspect but not weapons timer? Like looting a wreck? Someone activating a kill right? I don't think either of those things should prevent you from docking or jumping.
Paranoid Loyd
#5 - 2016-06-03 21:27:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
nezroy wrote:
No, I wasn't baited, nor am I salty, blah blah rabble rabble. Quite the opposite; I've baited many a flag-ignorant person and enjoyed that moment of surprise.

I don't believe you, post with your main if you are going to claim this.

Leto Aramaus wrote:
OP, what actions give suspect but not weapons timer? Like looting a wreck? Someone activating a kill right? I don't think either of those things should prevent you from docking or jumping.

This

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#6 - 2016-06-04 00:45:29 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Bastion Mode gives a weapon timer but not a suspect timer.

How will people use Marauders in High-sec?
Lugh Crow-Slave
#7 - 2016-06-04 00:47:51 UTC
Leto Aramaus wrote:

While I don't necessarily agree with OP yet, your guys' arguments are not good. You're just being overly semantic. It's called a "weapons timer" now, but if we changed it to "aggression timer" what would your argument be?


that that's even dumber at least now you can argue everything that gives a weapons timer is activating or prepping weapons but you don't have to do it aggressively
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#8 - 2016-06-04 06:50:27 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Leto Aramaus wrote:

While I don't necessarily agree with OP yet, your guys' arguments are not good. You're just being overly semantic. It's called a "weapons timer" now, but if we changed it to "aggression timer" what would your argument be?


that that's even dumber at least now you can argue everything that gives a weapons timer is activating or prepping weapons but you don't have to do it aggressively



Can flipping is aggressively using your cargo bay against another player...... Can't you see this?
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#9 - 2016-06-04 09:12:01 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
Leto Aramaus wrote:

While I don't necessarily agree with OP yet, your guys' arguments are not good. You're just being overly semantic. It's called a "weapons timer" now, but if we changed it to "aggression timer" what would your argument be?


that that's even dumber at least now you can argue everything that gives a weapons timer is activating or prepping weapons but you don't have to do it aggressively



Can flipping is aggressively using your cargo bay against another player...... Can't you see this?

"your honour , he picked up those metal scraps with malice and intent!"
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#10 - 2016-06-04 09:17:13 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
nezroy wrote:
No, I wasn't baited, nor am I salty, blah blah rabble rabble. Quite the opposite; I've baited many a flag-ignorant person and enjoyed that moment of surprise.

I don't believe you, post with your main if you are going to claim this.

Leto Aramaus wrote:
OP, what actions give suspect but not weapons timer? Like looting a wreck? Someone activating a kill right? I don't think either of those things should prevent you from docking or jumping.

This


If activating a KR made them suspect AND kept them from docking.... good times.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#11 - 2016-06-04 14:55:03 UTC
Nope.

Though a weapons timer for kill rights? Hmmmm

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Ix Method
Doomheim
#12 - 2016-06-04 15:38:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ix Method
Leto Aramaus wrote:
While I don't necessarily agree with OP yet, your guys' arguments are not good. You're just being overly semantic.

Welcome to F&I. ******* dreadful innit.

It feels a little odd that someone can buy your killright yet you can often sail gate to gate without really noticing, particularly as they're a result of aggression in the first place. In this case there's at least there's an argument for giving a timer.

Travelling at the speed of love.