These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Distribution Missions

Author
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#1 - 2016-06-01 17:53:31 UTC
I was stupid.

Wanted to do the Guristas Arc. Missed standings with the relevant corps of the beginner agents and thought: oh well, let's do Ytiri missions as I could repair my Caldari standings a bit through this.

When I got to L2 agents I noticed, ooops, no security agents >L1 for Ytiri. oookayy... now I'm doing it the hard way which means I have plenty of time to wonder:

Why do distribution missions even exist??
Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#2 - 2016-06-01 23:21:20 UTC
In the past I used to run distribution missions with a blockade runner (or interceptor for the odd small cargo mission) in low sec sometimes which added a bit of spice. There are (or were? I don't know) some spots in New Eden with multiple L4 distribution agents in the same station, system and/or neighbouring systems so that you could combine two missions or try to build mission chains. The payout added up quite quickly because most of them were finished in a few minutes, sometimes just one or two minutes. Long time ago the agents also gave out some items as payment (or time bonus payment). I recently discovered an old hangar of mine with way over a thousand of Micro Capacitor Something modules which people try to sell for multiple million ISK nowadays. (It works, but with such a low market demand that I would probably need many years to make a billion ISK with my thousand Micro Caps.) Unfortunately the opportunity to make ISK with distribution missions in some areas was discovered by automated mission bots as well that were quite a plague in the past. Sometimes you were crossing clouds of Badgers with weird player names. I think CCP started to nerf distribution missions because of that.

Today every once in a while I consider to run a few distribution missions but really only if I can combine missions from multiple close agents. But the appeal doesn't hold for more than 10 missions a year or so. Honestly I can't distinguish anymore if I find them utterly boring today because I've done much more of them in the past or because they have become really worse. Distribution missions are certainly something that CCP has neglected since years. (To be fair, I wouldn't know either how to add more excitement to them, but maybe something like special missions with small fast ships, small cargo, long travel (also into low or 0) but decent payment, mission chains visiting multiple connected agents, maybe freighter missions (again with reasonable payment of course), etc. might be a start. Just more variety...)

Regarding your problem btw: I don't know exactly the requirements to start the Guristas Arc. You just need to be able to talk to that relevant Ytiri agent in Obe which requires 3.0 personal, Ytiri corp or Caldari faction standing, is that right? In that case you are probably faster to bring up your faction standing instead of Ytiri corp standing. You know DMCs "Plan"? It's likely the most effective way to get your Caldari standing up. Still mostly low level mission grinding, but certainly more interesting and faster than running tens or hundreds of L2 distribution missions.
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#3 - 2016-06-02 06:45:11 UTC
Thank you. This answers one of the questions I was wondering about: Did anybody ever do these missions?
It seems they somewhen made a bit of sense.
You're right re standings for the Guristas Arc. I was just being stubborn.
Now I want to see how many missions are necessary.
But, in my view, CCP should really reconsider those missions. Either make something out of them or just delete them.
Yeah, why not make mission chains out of them that lead to deep null, but give some kind of a reward (not like 34 lp and 30k ISK).
Or as I said, just delete them.
erg cz
ErgoDron
#4 - 2016-06-02 07:09:49 UTC
They are used for repairing faction standing. Each 16 missions of any kind gives you storyline mission. Storyline mission boost your faction standing. 16 distribution missions are finished quickier, than 16 security or mining missions. If you do not care about isk and fun - its your way to boost faction standings.
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#5 - 2016-06-02 09:05:09 UTC
erg cz wrote:
They are used for repairing faction standing. Each 16 missions of any kind gives you storyline mission. Storyline mission boost your faction standing. 16 distribution missions are finished quickier, than 16 security or mining missions. If you do not care about isk and fun - its your way to boost faction standings.

I see the principle. As I am currently doing some and another character does security missions (both for standing gains for the Guristas Arc), I noticed that unfortunately, some (to many) distribution missions take just as long as security ones (or even longer). At least as I have not yet found a way to make a distribution mission round (so, gotta fly back to get the next one).

A security mission like the "bring me X from the warehouse in the current system", is shorter & more lucrative than any distribution mission.

But I did not make science out of it.