These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Second Account

Author
Jan van Riebeeck
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-05-18 06:24:06 UTC
Hey all.

Up to now I have only had one account as I never personally saw the need for a second account. However for the last few days I have been considering it.

The reason why I am considering it, is Mission Baiters. I have had a number of pilots loot my wrecks, salvage my wrecks or shoot my MTU. I have done some research about this form of content, and have found that the way they play includes having a ship on the same grid with either links or logi.

Clearly these guys are doing it to get fights, and I would like to oblige them, however I am sure that me in a L4 mission ship is not going to be able to do much against their smaller ships specifically fitted to kill people like me.

I have been thinking of also leaving having a secondary character in the same system. This character would either provide links, or maybe even be a ship fitted for PvP.

So my question:
1. Should my second character be fitted for PvP (to rumble with baiters)
2. Should my second character be fitted to provide my main with boosts to enable me to tangle with the mission baiters
3. If the second character should be fitted for PvP, what ship should I consider? The baiters seems to fly frigates, T3 destroyers & I have even had a Cruor & Cynabal trying to get me to attack. (I have been thinking of training my alt for VNI PVP fit)

Thanks in advance
Memphis Baas
#2 - 2016-05-18 07:41:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
Keep in mind that tricking you into calling Concord on yourself is a more desirable outcome than succeeding at baiting you into a fight. You need to understand the flags and aggression timers perfectly if you want to tango with a can or MTU flipper.

To answer your questions, your FIRST character should be fitted for PVP. Reasons:

- the can/MTU flipping just turns them suspect, it doesn't tackle them in place for you to kill

- granted, they're baiting so they'll stick around for you to take a shot, and they'll stick around if they think they can win, but if you're relying on warping a second character to the area to provide the tackle, you won't get much success.

My recommendation is this: you're adding a second character / second ship to the mix. Instead of keeping the second character on standby, to react to PVP, have the second character be active at the mission site with the first character. Instead of doing missions with one PVE ship, do missions with 2 PVP-fitted ships.

Otherwise, destroyers are specifically designed to kill frigates. Cruisers fitted for anti-frigate (RLML for example) are also very effective against frigates and destroyers. ECM and energy neutralizers are the nemesis of logi's. And combat probing is the theoretical counter to off-grid links, but I don't know if the linker flags the same way the logi would for providing assistance to a suspect.
Jovian Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2016-05-18 09:17:24 UTC
There are a few ways you can look into this.

The first one is the old favorite of just ignore them. Yes they loot your wrecks but 100% is to get a reaction.

Secondly there is no reason for you not to have a second account. I run 3 accounts at once not through duel boxing but over the years ive managed to fight, mine and PVE just switching screens.
You can either have the second account as a salvager or second mission runner and just blitz.

The last one is PvP. You get so annoyed you just wanna blow his head off. Be careful though. 9/10 they have alt logistics waiting to warp in and go yellow to rep there PvP ship and if that happens, just kiss goodbye to your mission boat.

On another account years ago I was in a situation like yourself. I got so frustrated by this one guy looting and trying to pick a fight I turned my PVE ship into a PvP boat and in the mission was able to tank the rats. He came in and got a bit of a shock when I scrammed him and neuted him. He didn't even have time to get his logistics on the field.

He never bothered me again
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#4 - 2016-05-18 09:41:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
is it leffy?
this sounds like leffy.
i have done a lot of bear flipping in my time and i highly recommend you give it a shot,
largely to inform yourself of what the pitfalls and vulnerabilities are ... and its pretty funny at times too.

yeah you are right they are after fights, and yes they actually have a substantial advantage over you
(but are verry much trying to look like they dontBlink)
off grid booster and logi are things to keep an eye out for.

things to have on your mission boat would be
t2 light drones
a warp scrambler <<<--real important
neuts
webs and/or a stasis grappler

these will give you a fighting chance, you are still at a disadvantage though.

a well fit tactical destroyer will murder most things people flip in,
be wary leffy though, hes good and prone to reship.

if you do kill him though he follows you around hurling obscenities at you in local for weeks on in which is pretty funny
kinda like an angry russian man pet of some sortsBig smile

edit: a neut vexor will also ruin a small ships day
Jan van Riebeeck
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-05-18 10:04:34 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
is it leffy?
this sounds like leffy.
i have done a lot of bear flipping in my time and i highly recommend you give it a shot,
largely to inform yourself of what the pitfalls and vulnerabilities are ... and its pretty funny at times too.

yeah you are right they are after fights, and yes they actually have a substantial advantage over you

t2 light drones
neuts

if you do kill him though he follows you around hurling obscenities at you in local for weeks on in which is pretty funny

Haha. It actually does sound like fun! I also think it would be fun to play back Cool
Jovian Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-05-18 10:19:41 UTC
Jan van Riebeeck wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
is it leffy?
this sounds like leffy.

t2 light drones
neuts

Haha. It actually does sound like fun! I also think it would be fun to play back Cool

If he targets you after going yellow lock him up and let him get real close. Some are balzy enough to bump you thinking you got nothing on him. As soon as hes real close hit him with everything you got and hopefully you'll get the odd tear too
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-05-18 11:22:58 UTC
When last I lived in high sec can flippers would get flagged such that your entire corp could shoot them without concord interference.

Forgive my ignorance on this but I have not lived in high sec since the crimewatch changes. So how does it work now? Does the can flipper get a suspect flag and anyone can shoot at him for 15 minutes? Does the logi support get the same flag?

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#8 - 2016-05-18 11:47:45 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
When last I lived in high sec can flippers would get flagged such that your entire corp could shoot them without concord interference.

Forgive my ignorance on this but I have not lived in high sec since the crimewatch changes. So how does it work now? Does the can flipper get a suspect flag and anyone can shoot at him for 15 minutes? Does the logi support get the same flag?

Taking from a can or wreck you have no rights to gives a suspect flag which will propagate to anyone giving remote assistance.
This does not include off grid boosters.
Solonius Rex
F0RCED ENTRY
Pandemic Legion
#9 - 2016-05-18 12:05:17 UTC
Jan van Riebeeck wrote:
Hey all.

Up to now I have only had one account as I never personally saw the need for a second account. However for the last few days I have been considering it.

The reason why I am considering it, is Mission Baiters. I have had a number of pilots loot my wrecks, salvage my wrecks or shoot my MTU. I have done some research about this form of content, and have found that the way they play includes having a ship on the same grid with either links or logi.

Clearly these guys are doing it to get fights, and I would like to oblige them, however I am sure that me in a L4 mission ship is not going to be able to do much against their smaller ships specifically fitted to kill people like me.

I have been thinking of also leaving having a secondary character in the same system. This character would either provide links, or maybe even be a ship fitted for PvP.

So my question:
1. Should my second character be fitted for PvP (to rumble with baiters)
2. Should my second character be fitted to provide my main with boosts to enable me to tangle with the mission baiters
3. If the second character should be fitted for PvP, what ship should I consider? The baiters seems to fly frigates, T3 destroyers & I have even had a Cruor & Cynabal trying to get me to attack. (I have been thinking of training my alt for VNI PVP fit)

Thanks in advance

Generally, it's not a good idea. Early on, I actually fell for it and lost a drake navy issue.

having a second character in logi is far more useful than links or boosters. There are several things you need to understand though.

1) the baiter may switch to a different ship and come back within the engagement timer, so don't assume you're fighting a frigate.

2) you may have a hard time taking down the baiter if his logi friend/alt comes in. Beware of switching to the logi though, he will use it as a chance to switch ships into a stronger ship(i.e. from a logo ship to something else) as just repping the bait ship does NOT give him the ability to attack you, he MUST be attacked by you in order to fight back. In such a case, you will be fighting two potentially heavy dps ships instead of one ship and one logi.

3) You may even face 3 or 4 enemies depending on if he has friends. Just keep this in mind and don't fight him in a ship you can't afford to lose.

4) don't give in to ransom demands and never lose your cool. When it's over, win or lose, put a "gf" in local. Don't swear or caps or things like that, it will only make you look like an idiot.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
Apocalypse Now.
#10 - 2016-05-18 15:02:58 UTC
I do things a little different.

First, always look for the trap, it's always there and pretty easy to spot once you see it. Then avoid tripping it.

Second, salvage/loot wrecks immediately. I watch a lot of players have a dozen kills around them and just keep doing what they are doing. My ships are powerful enough I don't need all my drones to fight with, so I have a salvage drone or two actually out salvaging while I'm fighting or mining. Remember that salvage/loot in HiSec is usually not all that valuable so if they take it, let it go. Whatever you are doing should be generating more income than salvage/loot.

Third, fly with a buddy. As has been said before, a fleet of targets is less palatable than a single target.

Fourth, be careful about firing first. Keep your safeties on, even if you are locked up, your best thing is to pick up your marbles and run away unless you want to fight. If you want to fight, you are a fool if you start the fight on THEIR terms. You have no idea how many people you are up against and no idea what ships you'll actually be facing. It's a bit nuts to want to get into such a fight but total madness to do it on their terms. Drop a bookmark, warp out someplace and while in warp do whatever warm up you need to get your offensive systems up and running. Warp back to your bookmark at the distance you need to start an optimized fight for you. Their suspect timer will still be active. If the fight is going your way, fine, finish it. If not, warp out immediately if you are able. If not, then take it as a life lesson not to do nutty things... unless that's what floats your boat.

Last but not least, be aware of the tactics you need to defeat such people. You've been given good advice from some experts on ships and processes. If you don't want to lose your ship, the best tactic is not to engage. We have about 2-3 drone baiters in our system. It cracks me up when I go prowling around asteroid fields and see a couple of 'dropped' drones with PVP corporate marks on them. If you pick those drones up you get hot dropped by the actual owners in full PVP rigs. Yes, you could have your own fun by setting up a relatively weaker ship go scoop them with a buddy in cloak nearby and flip their trap on them.

You can have fun with this kind of sport in HiSec but be very careful about shooting the wrong target... Concord will ruin your ships day.