These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New to missions [Gnosis?]

Author
Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#1 - 2016-05-02 14:00:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Bull Unchained
Dear fellow Pilots,

i´m quite new to mission running. I worked my way up to security level 2 using a talwar with light missiles.
There are quite a few missions i´m not able to finish (either there is to much damage incoming or i can´t take the final npc out).

A very helpfull player from rookie-channel pointed me towards the Gnosis (rolebonus over skillbonus) (i got some spare ISK as upgraded from buddy-trial).

A Gnosis is a battlecruiser? Am i allowed to do level 2 missions in it? Will i be able to run level 3 missions aswell?
Here what I tinkered together:

[Gnosis, missions]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Clarity Ward Booster I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

425mm Medium Carbine Repeating Cannon I, EMP M
Small Tractor Beam I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

'Integrated' Warrior x4

It got almost 60k EHP.
Defence (49/209) ((is this 49 Shield per second and 209 per cycle?))
DPS: total of 280
I should be able to switch the tractor beam for an rapid light missile launcher for additonal 20 dps.
But yet i always looted everything.

I only want to run missions to finance my PVP (at least that´s the long-term goal).

Tyvm for your advice.
Aluanna
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2016-05-02 14:21:51 UTC
Raging Bull Unchained wrote:
Dear fellow Pilots,

i´m quite new to mission running. I worked my way up to security level 2 using a talwar with light missiles.
There are quite a few missions i´m not able to finish (either there is to much damage incoming or i can´t take the final npc out).

A very helpfull player from rookie-channel pointed me towards the Gnosis (rolebonus over skillbonus) (i got some spare ISK as upgraded from buddy-trial).

A Gnosis is a battlecruiser? Am i allowed to do level 2 missions in it? Will i be able to run level 3 missions aswell?
Here what I tinkered together:

[Gnosis, missions]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Damage Control II

10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Clarity Ward Booster I

Small Tractor Beam I

'Integrated' Warrior x4

It got almost 60k EHP.
Defence (49/209) ((is this 49 Shield per second and 209 per cycle?))
DPS: total of 280
I should be able to switch the tractor beam for an rapid light missile launcher for additonal 20 dps.
But yet i always looted everything.

I only want to run missions to finance my PVP (at least that´s the long-term goal).

Tyvm for your advice.

I don't know about the fit, I'm not really qualified to comment on that so I'll let others do that :)

But yea, Gnosis is a Battlecruiser and Level 3's are meant for Battlecruisers, so yes, it should be able to do most if not all Level 3 missions. It might be a little too big to fit in some level 2 missions, those are mostly tailored to Cruiser sized ships.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3 - 2016-05-02 15:32:40 UTC
Nothing glaring at me as a mistake so should be fine.
Im not all that familiar with the hull but i cant see any red flags at a glance.

Some missions have ship restrictions, the brief for each will tell you what those are, yes you are alowed if you can fit your ass through the gate.
Johnathan Coffey
Niforce Triggers
#4 - 2016-05-02 16:16:01 UTC
Autocannons are too short-ranged to be useful in missions, especially when you aren't using a microwarpdrive to move quickly. Try artillery instead. Also, you don't need both shield extenders and a shield booster. Consider switching the extenders for tracking computers to improve the range and precision of your guns.

With these improvements, you should be able to finish most level 3 missions, as long as you know what to shoot and what not to shoot (see eve-survival for details).

First rule of EVE UI: right click EVERYTHING.

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#5 - 2016-05-03 06:39:34 UTC
I tried a mission yesterday (it was a "rescue the damsel" level 2 - i was able to enter the mission with the gnosis).
The AB was (as stated) realy slow. The ship seemed way to tanky.

So i made the following changes:
- AB + MWD
- missile launcher + tractor beam
- lse + web

I think about to quickly training heavy missiles up to 3 or 4 and just use it as a missile boat.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#6 - 2016-05-03 07:05:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Anize Oramara
I tried a mission yesterday (it was a "rescue the damsel" level 2 - i was able to enter the mission with the gnosis).
The AB was (as stated) realy slow. The ship seemed way to tanky.

So i made the following changes:
- AB + MWD
- missile launcher + tractor beam
- lse + web

I think about to quickly training heavy missiles up to 3 or 4 and just use it as a missile boat.

The Gnosis is a great starting BC and should do decently well in Lv3s as well. You will however want to start working towards a proper mission running ship/setup for when you eventually want to run LV4 missions. I've been finding the Barghest to be particularly good, especially considering the RHML fit has close to the same dps as a Cruise fit *with reloads* but better application (This is somewhat specific to the Mordus ships as Rapid launchers tend to have a lot less sustained dps on most other hulls). As an advantage, you can right now work towards T2 Heavy missiles and then use those exact same skills for the RHML system.

Also realistically you only need one prop mod. MWD seems to be prefered for most mission runners. Maybe fit a cap battery or recharger to counter the reduced cap penalty from the MWD.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#7 - 2016-05-03 07:18:03 UTC
Tyvm. I fell in love with the Machariel. It looks plain sexy. So my road will (most likely be) the gallente crosstraining. That´s the long term goal at least.

My dissplay was not the best, i meant i replaces the AB with an MWD, took of the single rapid light missile launcher and put on a tractor beam and so on.

My goal is not to make gadzillions of isk while running missions. It´s ok if i m able to buy me new ships when i lost my old.
ARGH - 200m / hr is still tempting :P But a LONG way down the road. And i have a lot of skills to train that i acutally need (want) for my dakka dakka.

But heavy missiles are awesome for the cylcone aswell. Do you see what you just did here? ;)
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#8 - 2016-05-03 07:32:33 UTC
Tyvm. I fell in love with the Machariel. It looks plain sexy. So my road will (most likely be) the gallente crosstraining. That´s the long term goal at least.

My dissplay was not the best, i meant i replaces the AB with an MWD, took of the single rapid light missile launcher and put on a tractor beam and so on.

My goal is not to make gadzillions of isk while running missions. It´s ok if i m able to buy me new ships when i lost my old.
ARGH - 200m / hr is still tempting :P But a LONG way down the road. And i have a lot of skills to train that i acutally need (want) for my dakka dakka.

But heavy missiles are awesome for the cylcone aswell. Do you see what you just did here? ;)

Heh yup, and remember, very few skills are 'useless'. For example for a while missile ships were pretty bad in PvP but recently it seems to be about the only thing people fly (mostly thanks to rapid lights). The Cerb is an sexy PvP fleet ship since they nerfed the Ishtar.

The Mach is an excellent PvE ship as well, one of the best in fact but I never really liked the look of it that much. The Vargur on the other hand is a favorite of mine. For now pick a T2 weapon system (Even medium ACs are fine once you get used to using MWD to get in range) and get those support/fitting skills in particular trained. You can always work towards a skill injector every now and then to help boost your skills along.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#9 - 2016-05-03 09:17:28 UTC
There is one BIG question still hanging around in my mind.
To run level 4 missions highly efficient i need to invest probably around 2b (guessed hull and fitting costs for machariel and barghest. Might be even higher).

The issue is: With that amount of ISK i can lose a LOT of ships in pvp (faction warfare is what i do. I will use frigates most of the time (90-95%). Even t2-frigs and navy / pirate frigs will be in 50m a pop range (incl. fitting).

Now let´s say i got the feeling that i never ever be such a good mission runner to make 200m / HR. That number is probably reservered for the "Elite"-Mission-Runners. What is a realistic ammount of isk a casaul mission runner can make? And is it possible to run missions with lower investment then 2b? Like Tempest for 250m (incl. fitting)? A Typhoon (aswell for 250m) got also a ROF-Bonus to Rapid Heavy Missile.

So 200m / hr is pro-fitting, pro-handling, pro-knowledge.
Where will i end up realisticly with: level 4 skills (for now :)), a 250m ship and not to optimal handling / dealing with the missions?
The Bigpuns
United Standings Improvement Agency
#10 - 2016-05-03 09:52:51 UTC
There is one BIG question still hanging around in my mind.
To run level 4 missions highly efficient i need to invest probably around 2b (guessed hull and fitting costs for machariel and barghest. Might be even higher).

The issue is: With that amount of ISK i can lose a LOT of ships in pvp (faction warfare is what i do. I will use frigates most of the time (90-95%). Even t2-frigs and navy / pirate frigs will be in 50m a pop range (incl. fitting).

Now let´s say i got the feeling that i never ever be such a good mission runner to make 200m / HR. That number is probably reservered for the "Elite"-Mission-Runners. What is a realistic ammount of isk a casaul mission runner can make? And is it possible to run missions with lower investment then 2b? Like Tempest for 250m (incl. fitting)? A Typhoon (aswell for 250m) got also a ROF-Bonus to Rapid Heavy Missile.

So 200m / hr is pro-fitting, pro-handling, pro-knowledge.
Where will i end up realisticly with: level 4 skills (for now :)), a 250m ship and not to optimal handling / dealing with the missions?

With semi decent skills and a relaxed attitude to mission you should probably still be hitting 40mil isk/hr consistently. Also, note that pirate bs hulls are not too expensive any more, and will give a big boost to your mission efficiency.
But for now, a rhml typhoon is a nice little ship if that's what you have the skills for.
Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#11 - 2016-05-03 11:06:09 UTC
TYVM. I m not quite there, but i´ll go that route while doing lvl 2 missions ;).
Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#12 - 2016-05-17 13:43:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Bull Unchained
It turned out that the Gnosis did not enjoy me so i switched to a wolf. It´s doing SOE level 2 quite well (only 1 mission with loads of 285k cruisers is a tough nut and i have to warp out 1 time). As there is no reachable level 3 agent i will keep on standing grinding those level 2 missions in my trustworthy wolf.

After that i might switch to a typhoon. Using RHML was allready approved in here. Will cruise missiles also work? I heard "horrorstories" about rhml reload times where you can wash your dishes in between.

EDIT: Char with all level 4:

[Typhoon, level 4 mission CMs]
Ballistic Control System II
Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Overdrive Injector System II

100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Micro Jump Drive
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

'Arbalest' Cruise Launcher I, Mjolnir Cruise Missile
[empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]

DPS: 477 on 129 km (targeting range is 78 km)
50,5 k EHP

Is this any good? If so, what should i put in the last highslot and / or rigs?

I thought about a heavy nos for helping with cap if needed.
Then i´d need rigs for more cpu.

For drones i´d bring 4 (or 5) integrated warriors to fight off the small stuff.
I wont collect wrecks (might find me another newbro that likes to noctis and creat content for him :P).
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#13 - 2016-05-17 22:54:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Is this any good? If so, what should i put in the last highslot and / or rigs?

A pair of T2 rigors and a T2 flare, otherwise you'll never apply any of that missile damage. You could also opt for a T2 Missile Guidance Enhancer or two which would leave your rig slots free.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Raging Bull Unchained
Signal Lost
#14 - 2016-05-18 06:28:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Raging Bull Unchained
Tyvm.

I did some changes and now it would look like this:

[Typhoon, level 4 mission CMs]
Missile Guidance Enhancer II

100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Micro Jump Drive
Pith X-Type Large Shield Booster

[empty high slot]

Large Warhead Rigor Catalyst II
Large Warhead Flare Catalyst II
Large Processor Overclocking Unit I

CPU is tough, only 15 left. Might put in a small AC or a pulse laser?
I can change one Missile Guidance Enhancer II for a DCU II (that's +15 CPU).