These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Resource Scarcity in EVE Online - Can It Be Done?

Author
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#1 - 2012-01-14 06:18:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Thor Kerrigan
I came across a few posts on the forums referencing the concept of resource scarcity and thought it deserved a serious discussion. As it stands now, ISK, minerals and basic materials are limited only by the amount of time you are willing to invest gathering them. It may very well be a good system design considering this is a spaceships game, but I would like to raise a few observations concerning this. But first, let me ask you this:

What do you fight over When you PVP?

If resources are limitless, it makes perfect sense to see the emergence of the "sea of blues" phenomenon in 0.0. It also explains why most people would remain in highsec where they can endlessly ball so hard and farm with very little risk. In other words, the bigger the area filled with non-hostiles, the better. Considering most major conflicts in real life are about resources and that PVP-fuel seems to be personal pride (e-peen) or killmails, I think CCP could consider the following options (with examples):

Option 1:
Make over-farmed resources decrease rewards/availability gradually, but never to complete depletion.
This would change the resource distribution dynamically as high-profit hotspots would change across the universe. It would favour exploration to maintain the highest ISK/hour in highsec/lowsec. It would also favour 0.0/wormholes alliances to control as much territory as possible with the least amount of people. This would actually make it possible to be "too big" unless you colonize new areas of space under your banner.
Example using rats: Let's assume the North/Caldari space is the most farmed region of space and Guristas are the number one prey. Guristas pirates would gradually "lose influence" in the world, making them less dangerous and less rewarding to hunt (lower CONCORD bounties). On the other hand, The Angel Cartel could be gaining influence by a lack of significant capsuleer activity in their space and thus slowly becoming the highest bounty rats of the game.

Option 2:
All resources can eventually be depleted.
A general guideline in my opinion should be that grinding 24/7, the entire EVE community could be able to completely deplete the universe's resources - assuming CCP introduces no new content - in 100 years. Moons/belts could be drained and entire pirate factions completely erased. Some planets could take decades to be fully stripped.
The key point about such a feature is that CCP would have to keep introducing new factions or resources as old ones get depleted (Such as Sleepers, PI, Incursions, etc.). Eventually we may be looking at doors to a completely new galaxy (or galaxies).

As a final note, I believe a mix of options 1 and 2 would suite EVE well, but I think it would be great to hear the community's thoughts on the subject.

----- EDIT 1 -----
Skip to page 4 for an update on pros/cons raised so far. Posts 61, 62, 63. Keep it going; we got some good arguments being thrown on the table.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#2 - 2012-01-14 06:26:20 UTC
Bwahahaaa!! I love it when people come up with ideas like this. It creates a more dynamic universe, with reasons for people to move on or prevent overconsumption of resources. Theoretically, this could put an end to Super Cap and Titan production. Then all we'd have to do is wipe out the hundreds already in existence.

It gives consequence to actions like the production of such behemoths; and meaning to actions taken within the game that deplete those resources indefinitely.

Purely awesome idea. +1
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2012-01-14 07:11:13 UTC
What about a player run event that targets a specific group? Let's say.... miners. Should make ice a more contested resource Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#4 - 2012-01-14 07:29:38 UTC
To ask for limited resources is to ask the game to be everything that every player who says this game is about PVP to actually be about PVP.

Looking at history, all wars boil down in some way to scarcity. Whether shortages hit first and result in conflict, or a fear of shortage spurring on a dominance over resources as a means of continuity of goals, it all comes down to scarcity.

To deny scarcity in a game that is supposed to be a harsh PVP universe is antithetical to the ideals of the game.

And look at the results of this lack of scarcity. 0.0 is all blued up while the moons endlessly pump goo and the rats spew isk. Highsec is crowded because the roids are endless as are the missions and the only war deccing is greifers padding their kill boards.

Just about everything that is wrong with this game is stemming from lack of scarcity. Let resources run low, if not completely out, and this game will be everything that people keep saying it should be.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Valei Khurelem
#5 - 2012-01-14 08:05:17 UTC
I've even said that there should be an absolute cap on the amount of currency that can be generated so that prices can't be inflated anymore than they already have but people were claiming without much of an argument that it would be a terrible idea because people would be having fights against people who have the most.

It baffles me that for a game community that claims to enjoy PvP so much they are extremely against anything that would increase how much they have to fight for what they have. I just hope CCP doesn't listen to them and puts the changes through anyway so EVE becomes a much more entertaining game.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Vyl Vit
#6 - 2012-01-14 08:14:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Vyl Vit
So...why would Angel Cartel become the highest bounty if nobody's interested in fighting them? Seems the greatest interest involves the greatest value as well.

Depleting resources...once that squadron of asteroid vacumes drains a system it stays drained?. Ghost town. Folks move on?

CCP would be having to add fifty systems a day to keep up with it.

I want some of what you're smoking. With that and hanging by my ankles, I could begin to see the world anew.

As for the cost of ore, etc. Supply and demand. Supply and demand. More supply, less demand, lower the price. Less supply, more demand, higher the price.

As far as inflated prices. Tell a seller the price is too high, he/she always says, "But, they pay it."

Paradise is like where you are right now, only much, much better.

Mara Tessidar
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-01-14 08:16:03 UTC
Even CCP, whose grasp of economics can be likened to that of a two-year-old holding on to a sippy cup, would never implement an idea as stupid as hard-capping monetary wealth generation in a sandbox-style MMO.

That is a bad idea and you should be ashamed for posting it here. But you won't be, for the same reason you think it's good: you're dumb.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#8 - 2012-01-14 08:56:00 UTC
Mara Tessidar wrote:
Even CCP, whose grasp of economics can be likened to that of a two-year-old holding on to a sippy cup, would never implement an idea as stupid as hard-capping monetary wealth generation in a sandbox-style MMO.

That is a bad idea and you should be ashamed for posting it here. But you won't be, for the same reason you think it's good: you're dumb.

This.

There are scarce resources in EvE. T2 BPOs. They were available, now they are not.

Implement resource scarcity and trit becomes T2 BPOs. Ships were available, now they are not. Queue death of EvE.

By the way, the scarce resource in EvE that provides a limiting factor in the Economy is player time.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Herzog Wolfhammer
#9 - 2012-01-14 09:25:32 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Mara Tessidar wrote:

This.

There are scarce resources in EvE. T2 BPOs. They were available, now they are not.

Implement resource scarcity and trit becomes T2 BPOs. Ships were available, now they are not. Queue death of EvE.

By the way, the scarce resource in EvE that provides a limiting factor in the Economy is player time.

Ah there is criticism to the point of a cap, that I agree with, but not nearly on the mark as to why that's not a good idea.

Take the RL money supplies: governments can turn up printing presses to their hearts desire and print money to pay for whatever they want (usually guns and butter).

But this devalues the currency and leads to inflation.

But then, before fiat currency, when gold and silver were used, there was not enough gold and silver. Nature created a cap on the currency because gold and silver could not be mined fast enough to meet the expansion of the markets.

What happened?

Commodities.

Not all that was used for currency was metals. Whiskey, for example, at one time in the United States, was used as currency. This as one of the reasons for what is known in the books as The Whiskey Rebellion.

Now keep in mind that commodities can be as limited as precious metals, but there are simply more.

But here's a big fat rub: trade-worthy commodities were EXPENDABLE. We are talking food, textiles, leather goods, spices, ore.

All things of the environment, and hence the materials of which in limited supply (eventually).

So putting an arbitrary cap on ISK might seem dumb, but limiting the raw materials, as per the idea of this thread, would have that effect without looking arbitrarily dumb.

That you can farm rats and rack up endless ISK, or suck roids and rack up endless ISK, is like an ISK printing machine. Limit the resources and you limit the ISK.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-01-14 09:35:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Halcyon Ingenium
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
To ask for limited resources is to ask the game to be everything that every player who says this game is about PVP to actually be about PVP.

Looking at history, all wars boil down in some way to scarcity. Whether shortages hit first and result in conflict, or a fear of shortage spurring on a dominance over resources as a means of continuity of goals, it all comes down to scarcity.

To deny scarcity in a game that is supposed to be a harsh PVP universe is antithetical to the ideals of the game.

And look at the results of this lack of scarcity. 0.0 is all blued up while the moons endlessly pump goo and the rats spew isk. Highsec is crowded because the roids are endless as are the missions and the only war deccing is greifers padding their kill boards.

Just about everything that is wrong with this game is stemming from lack of scarcity. Let resources run low, if not completely out, and this game will be everything that people keep saying it should be.

For once I agree with Herzog. The absence of scarcity in this game is a bitter irony if this game actually is about PvP.

Edit: This also has implications for the bot problem.

By the way, since we're already talking, do you want to buy a rifter? I've got the cheapest rifters in Metropolis. If you can find a cheaper rifter, buy it!

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#11 - 2012-01-14 09:37:00 UTC  |  Edited by: RubyPorto
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

But here's a big fat rub: trade-worthy commodities were EXPENDABLE. We are talking food, textiles, leather goods, spices, ore.

You just listed a bunch of commodities whose only limits are time and effort. Eve's Ore (in fact every resource in Eve) is only limited in time and effort. Sounds fine to me.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-01-14 09:39:49 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

You just listed a bunch of commodities whose only limits are time and effort. Eve's Ore (in fact every resource in Eve) is only limited in time and effort. Sounds fine to me.

So you don't actually know how food, textiles, leather goods, spices and ore are produced then. Good to know.

By the way, since we're already talking, do you want to buy a rifter? I've got the cheapest rifters in Metropolis. If you can find a cheaper rifter, buy it!

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#13 - 2012-01-14 09:48:02 UTC
Halcyon Ingenium wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

So you don't actually know how food, textiles, leather goods, spices and ore are produced then. Good to know.

Given infinite time and infinite effort, I can produce infinite amounts of food, textiles, leather goods, and spices. Ore I will admit is finite at the moment (though given the infinite nature of the universe, not really).

Food: Grow a sustainable yield every year for infinite years = infinite food
Textiles: See above
Leather goods: See above
Spices: See above.

By the way, CCP tried making a closed economy early in the game's history. They found that when new people joined, they got fucked. Even moreso than now.

Herzog Wolfhammer
#14 - 2012-01-14 09:55:13 UTC
Halcyon Ingenium wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

The term used is "value added".

For example, if I harvested a field of pumpkins (being a part time farmer) I could sell them at the market value of pumpkins.
But suppose I took the effort of getting the sugar, flour, eggs, and spices to make pumpkin pies.
The cost of the pie is certainly above the cost of all of the ingredients as sold separately. The labor in putting together the ingredients comprises a product called "value added". You'll get more for the pies than you would for pumpkins, eggs, wheat, etc.

We have endless supplies of raw materials, and yet, as we are told that ore prices influence prices of ships and modules, where is the value added relation?

Did the resources take a lot of ISK to get? I refer not to what someone will pay to rent a system in 0.0, but operating costs instead. Do mining lasers require some kind of fuel? For materials garnered from ship toasting, it's the cost of ammo. How soon does a hulk pay itself off?

So another facet of the lack of scarcity is a low operating cost that is static - once the ship is paid for, there is little, if any, operating cost. The value added of a completed ship comes with no overhead. One can take more time to get more materials, but the cost stayed the same (zero).

As for time and effort, all this means is that in due time less effort is needed to fill space up with too many ships, too many materials, and too much ISK. This is why cap blobs became a possibility and why they are flown in such manner (as I have seen in 0.0) as a PWN Mobile and no support at all.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#15 - 2012-01-14 10:02:06 UTC
There already is resource scarcity.

Moon mineral production is limited to a fixed number of moons and a fixed rate of minerals per hour. This is a number that cannot be changed no matter how many people are available/willing to harvest it. The technetium moons are all spoken for.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#16 - 2012-01-14 10:11:44 UTC
If you don't think minerals and other resources in Eve are currently limited, you don't understand that time has value and the time of players has limits. There is a limited rate of mineral influx into the game. There is a limited rate of ISK influx into the game. There is a limited rate of mineral destruction in the game. The balance between the two is why minerals (unlimited as you think they are) have a value at all.

If no ship were ever blown up, then yes, EvE would need to have limited resources like the real world (where most limited resources are recycles in a way that EvE's cannot be). If no Isk were ever sunk out of the game (BPOs, SOV bills, etc [but the lack of appreciable Isk sinks is an issue for another thread]), then EvE would need a limit on Isk inputs, or inflation would run rampant.

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-01-14 10:13:43 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh geez. Roll

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-01-14 10:13:48 UTC
Yay! Dubs!

Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#19 - 2012-01-14 10:17:22 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
If you don't think minerals and other resources in Eve are currently limited, you don't understand that time has value and the time of players has limits.

No we understand this just fine, what we are arguing is that time as a limiting factor isn't enough.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#20 - 2012-01-14 10:22:48 UTC
Halcyon Ingenium wrote:
RubyPorto wrote:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh geez. Roll

Read the thread leading to it, and you'll see that I was pointing out the fact that food is limited by time and effort.

The real world facts that neither time nor effort are unlimited underline my point. Renewable resources actually make my point.

Given renewable resource supply X, and demand for said resource Y, the price of said resource will rise when X is less than Y, and fall when X is greater than Y. Now, when the price falls, some producers leave the industry and supply falls as well.

But this is all Econ 101, why does mining have the lowest income in the game?

A few reasons:
1. People Dumb "Well I need minerals to manufacture, and minerals I mine are free"
2. Because gunminging in drones has become the price setter, as it produces more minerals per man/hour than mining does.
3. Because mining is very very easy, so we find that mining bumps into the other limit: effort.

123Next pageLast page