These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Epic Fail in advertising EVE online as a game.

First post
Author
Juicy Aivo
NANO Tech Trading Inc.
#1 - 2016-05-12 15:34:43 UTC
Hey folks, this has been bothering me for a while. It has been 9 years and 6 months since i had first logged onto TQ. It was amazing, so many 24k players online at the peak EU TZ. However since then things gone from bad to worse for EVE online in making new players because after all these years at the very same hour (15;30 12/05/2016) it is the same 24k players online.

Just 1 thing, me same as many others now has more than 1 acc. Which makes significant loss of actual players/bodies not ALTs. Where did you (EVE sales department guys) go WRONG with trying to attract more bodies into the game??? I know there will be hates of this post but consider this, if eve online had 500k players they could REDUCE price per month by 5x or 10x. However they chose to do NOTHING and makes us all pay every month the same amount of money as you were buying a new game every month or even more. This even makes me to consider leave this game because they are ripping us off!
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#2 - 2016-05-12 15:40:11 UTC
INB4

---> GD
Ralph King-Griffin
Dissidence Dawn
The-Culture
#3 - 2016-05-12 15:44:12 UTC
Can i have your stuff if you do leave?
Johnathan Coffey
Niforce Triggers
#4 - 2016-05-12 16:10:08 UTC
There's only so many people able and willing to put up with this game. I won't go as far as saying that the market is saturated but I don't think that putting more advertisement out would get you the right kind of players in here. Chances are, 99% of them would quit after two days.

First rule of EVE UI: right click EVERYTHING.

hurgmurflUr
Doomheim
#5 - 2016-05-12 16:12:54 UTC
Juicy Aivo wrote:
. Where did you (EVE sales department guys) go WRONG with trying to attract more bodies into the game??? I know there will be hates of this post but consider this, if eve online had 500k players they could REDUCE price per month by 5x or 10x. However they chose to do NOTHING and makes us all pay every month the same amount of money as you were buying a new game every month or even more. This even makes me to consider leave this game because they are ripping us off!



You think if they had more subscribers they would forego the increased profits and massively reduce the price of their product?

That sounds like an incredibly unrealistic expectation.
Ka Plaa
Raumfahrer Spiff Rakett Piloot Anslutning
#6 - 2016-05-12 16:38:02 UTC
Dear new players: OP is an example of what not to become.

IB4 deserved L




Cara Forelli
Caldari Colonial Defense Ministry
Templis CALSF
#7 - 2016-05-12 16:46:22 UTC
You are not a new player and this is not a question.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

ISD Gallifreyan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#8 - 2016-05-12 19:42:27 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Gallifreyan
So I am going to agree with some others here.

One, you are not a New Player, nor are you posting a new Player Q or A
(so I will move this to General Discussion)

There is no real discussion in this topic.

Quote:
23. Post constructively.

Negative feedback can be very useful to further improve EVE Online provided that it is presented in a civil and factual manner. All users are encouraged to honestly express their feelings regarding EVE Online and how it can be improved. Posts that are non-constructive, insulting or in breach of the rules will be deleted regardless of how valid the ideas behind them may be. Users are also reminded that posting with a lack of content also constitutes non-constructive posting.

32. Rumor mongering is prohibited.

Rumor threads and posts which are based off no actual solid information and are designed to either troll or annoy other users will be locked and removed. These kinds of threads and posts are detrimental to the well being and spirit of the EVE Online Community, and can create undue panic among forum users, as well as adding to the workload of our moderators.

CCP has done a fair bit to improve the New Player Experience and Advertise Eve to New Players over the last few years. There were even presentations at Fanfest this year talking about the Health of the Game's Community through Raw Numbers presented by CCP Quant.

There is also no substance to the statement that if CCP had 500k Active Players daily that they could reduce subscription costs. Having More active players would require much more Infrastructure which costs more money and requires more upkeep.

ISD Gallifreyan

Lt. Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCL)

Interstellar Services Department

ISD Gallifreyan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#9 - 2016-05-12 19:46:19 UTC
Thread has been moved to EVE General Discussion.

ISD Gallifreyan

Lt. Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCL)

Interstellar Services Department

ISD Gallifreyan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#10 - 2016-05-12 22:12:57 UTC
OK. I will Unlock this then to allow some Constructive Discussion.

Lets see how long it will stay open for. (Don't make me regret it.)

ISD Gallifreyan

Lt. Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCL)

Interstellar Services Department

Ralph King-Griffin
Dissidence Dawn
The-Culture
#11 - 2016-05-12 22:25:43 UTC
ISD Gallifreyan wrote:
OK. I will Unlock this then to allow some Constructive Discussion.

Lets see how long it will stay open for. (Don't make me regret it.)

*cracks knuckles*
Reaver Glitterstim
Dromedaworks inc
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#12 - 2016-05-12 22:27:00 UTC
EVE has longevity in the market, and that is a valuable thing. CCP once tried to move to bigger and better things, they made DUST-514 and tried to make World of Darkness the MMO, but after spending a lot and not getting that much back, they realized they had abandoned their faithful baby. EVE kept chugging along without development support, generating funds but it began to lose long-term players because CCP was ignoring glaring issues that weren't that difficult to fix. Now they spend a small amount of their budget on continually making EVE a better game while being VERY careful not to destroy what we faithful EVE players like most about it, and they have the majority of their budget left over to spend on bigger projects that could make them rich and famous but might not be successful.

EVE is the project they know will make money. And that is very important in a fiercely competitive market such as the one CCP is dabbling in. Without us, CCP may have been sunk, and it would have taken with it one of the richest people in Iceland--CCP Hilmar.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

John Hand
#13 - 2016-05-12 22:40:12 UTC
Only thing I wish for is a price reduction on the sub/month.

This is a game where having 2 or more toons is REQUIRED, not a want but a requirement to succeed at this game. If the sub was $5 a month, it would be FAR easier pill to swallow for someone who has 3 or even 10 toons.

Currently most people who run more then 2+ accounts, only actually will pay for 2 of them (if at all) and will use PLEX to sub the rest. CCP is still getting sub money from somewhere, even if YOU are not the one actually paying for it, since someone else had to buy the PLEX with IRL money at some point before you bought it and used it to sub.


If the price for subbing went down, it would turn more people to using subs rather then PLEX. This would, in the long run, be more quick cash for CCP on a monthly basis. Since someone who is using PLEX's is using "old" money that might of been spent years ago and thus no direct $$$ to CCP (as it was cash already spent by CCP).

As for PLEX's, they would be viewed as a more "quick ISK" venture (not like they are already viewed like that). With the price of a SUBS going down, people would be more likely to buy a PLEX or two for quick ISK since now they would have "more" actual money to spend on the game. Save the customer money in one area, and see more money spent in another.


Not to mention, with a lower sub cost, it would attract more players from other games that have NOT lowered there sub...
Gimme Sake
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2016-05-12 22:42:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Gimme Sake
From time to time, in seasonal coating, the eve is dying thread. Cool


p.s. In swa chat, which is a rookie corp I counted last sunday over 700 members. Compared with 200-300 pre patch the average during the last week was around 500. And that is only one rookie starter corp.

"Never not blob!" ~ Plato

Ka Plaa
Raumfahrer Spiff Rakett Piloot Anslutning
#15 - 2016-05-12 22:51:50 UTC
Juicy Aivo wrote:
... they could REDUCE price per month by 5x or 10!


So, 3 monies or less per month per subscription? Wow...I'd be subbing for a long time along with many others...CCP employees don't need paychecks, and who wants new server hardware and physical game infrastructure maintenance anyway?

...Actually...maybe subbing for a long time wouldn't be that great of an idea in such a case...


Pandora Carrollon
Dawn of a New Horizon
The Republic.
#16 - 2016-05-12 23:15:31 UTC
I disagree with the concept the OP is putting forward. In order for an Epic Fail to have happened, the game would have to have been damaged or destroyed by it's advertising. That has not happened. Even the OP said "9 Years Later" which implies the game is still GOING 9 years later with about the same subscription rate.

So, no epic fail here... however, no epic win either.

I've wondered for a long time now about how I would market this game. I have to admit, it's really hard. They've tried the mega fleet battles, the decisions have consequences, the various 'desciptive' ads supporting the various expansions. All of that is fine, but while the ads are cool, I don't want to dive into the game.

In many ways, the best advertising for the game is the players themselves. I've seen a couple of ad attempts down this road also but again, nothing that would make my fingers fly across the keyboard to join. I joined because a friend of mine lead me to try it. That's it.

So, right now my brain is settling on the idea that the game itself is the advertising it needs. I'm not talking trial periods, nor streams of large fleet fights or day to day ho-hum stuff. I'm talking CCP opening YouTube and Twitch channels, turning live time over to players with events and discussions going on over various things. Take people back into the programmer dungeons, as well as into the brainstorming meetings. Put up constant content. Have regularly scheduled shows "Newbro Hour", "Fitting your...." (Yeah, start with the Raven Roll ), "PVP Playground", "Corporation Corner"... etc. In EVE you literally have all the stock market financial shows, builders content, Military content, social content, drama, comedy, reality show etc. The game is a reflection of the real life and real people in it. Put it out there!

There are already some YouTube stars centered on EVE, they would be a great place to start for some help in developing stuff. Make it fun, make it entertaining, make it brutal and awesome.

Show off EVE!
May Arethusa
The Mjolnir Bloc
The Bloc
#17 - 2016-05-12 23:19:14 UTC
Quote:
after all these years at the very same hour (15;30 12/05/2016) it is the same 24k players online.


The real story here is how despite EVE's Boromir-esque death stagger that has lasted thirteen years now, purportedly hemorrhaging players at a staggering rate, the server remains as active as it was a decade ago. Go CCP?

Quote:
if eve online had 500k players they could REDUCE price per month by 5x or 10x.


Only they wouldn't. They'd have spent 5 to 10 times as much on side projects, and nodes would crash 5 to 10 times more frequently. An equally enlarged proportion of players would both hate and demand walking in stations, EVE would be dying at an increased rate, we'd have a momument on the frickin' moon instead of in Iceland. I mean, I could go on.
Pandora Carrollon
Dawn of a New Horizon
The Republic.
#18 - 2016-05-12 23:19:57 UTC
(On a side note)

CCP can also monetize EVE via such a channel. Pay in game ISK or PLEX for ad time for your alliances, YouTube show, tutorial channels, whatever. They can take money from other MMO's, games and interests. Get creative!
Gee Shunziji
Shunz.Inc
#19 - 2016-05-12 23:23:43 UTC
Juicy Aivo wrote:
Hey folks, this has been bothering me for a while. It has been 9 years and 6 months since i had first logged onto TQ. It was amazing, so many 24k players online at the peak EU TZ. However since then things gone from bad to worse for EVE online in making new players because after all these years at the very same hour (15;30 12/05/2016) it is the same 24k players online.

Just 1 thing, me same as many others now has more than 1 acc. Which makes significant loss of actual players/bodies not ALTs. Where did you (EVE sales department guys) go WRONG with trying to attract more bodies into the game??? I know there will be hates of this post but consider this, if eve online had 500k players they could REDUCE price per month by 5x or 10x. However they chose to do NOTHING and makes us all pay every month the same amount of money as you were buying a new game every month or even more. This even makes me to consider leave this game because they are ripping us off!



Hey. Hm ... Please don't.

Leave business to business men and philosophy to the philosophers. If playing multiple accounts is too expensive for you ... well... i hope you are smart enough to figure out the answer on your own.

If i may offer a clue, when i go to McDonald's, it does not matter if i buy one or twenty five Big Macs. They charge them all to me the same price.

Bonus tip : i can not afford to have 5 cell phones, so i have only 1.

'' Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Fuck you .. ''

-Period

Chopper Rollins
Far Beyond Triggered
#20 - 2016-05-13 00:40:09 UTC
May Arethusa wrote:
.we'd have a momument on the frickin' moon instead of in Iceland.



Isn't the moon closer?







Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

123Next pageLast page