These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why does a corp want my api?

Author
Shayla Etherodyne
Delta Laroth Industries
#21 - 2016-05-07 05:56:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Shayla Etherodyne
Netan MalDoran wrote:

This right here, I think that people forget that EvE is internet pixels, by the whining I hear, you would think that people are showing people their SS number and bank account info o.o Go ahead, see that I bought a drake and died gloriously to a Thanatos. Dont care one bit.

If a corp doesnt ask you for some part of an API, theyre either a noob corp that is corp theif bait, or they are a badly run corp that you probably shouldn't be a part of imo.

Also, some corps dont require API's, but the alliance theyre in does, so theyre forced to request them.

You have never used your EVE mail to discuss private things with friends?
I have the private e-mail of a few friend in my EVE mail and I know people that has give his personal address to other players that way but wouldn't like to share ti with all a corp or all an alliance.

Sharing what is in your mail is way too much.

Your personal e-mail outside EVE is "internet pixels" too, but I doubt you would like to share it with a bunch of people that you don't know.
Netan MalDoran
Deliverance.
Ocularis Inferno
#22 - 2016-05-07 06:04:53 UTC
Shayla Etherodyne wrote:
Netan MalDoran wrote:

This right here, I think that people forget that EvE is internet pixels, by the whining I hear, you would think that people are showing people their SS number and bank account info o.o Go ahead, see that I bought a drake and died gloriously to a Thanatos. Dont care one bit.

If a corp doesnt ask you for some part of an API, theyre either a noob corp that is corp theif bait, or they are a badly run corp that you probably shouldn't be a part of imo.

Also, some corps dont require API's, but the alliance theyre in does, so theyre forced to request them.

I have the private e-mail of a few friend in my EVE mail and I know people that has give his personal address to other players that way but wouldn't like to share ti with all a corp or all an alliance.

Your personal e-mail outside EVE is "internet pixels" too, but I doubt you would like to share it with a bunch of people that you don't know.

Why would I ever use a game mail service when I have 4 real email accounts to choose from?

And why would you store someones rl email in your evemail? That IS insecure, you couldve just had him post it in PM or the like.

"Your security status has been lowered." - Hell yeah it was!

Falcon's truth

Hawke Frost
#23 - 2016-05-07 06:21:18 UTC
Shayla Etherodyne wrote:
Netan MalDoran wrote:

What a nice excuse, I'm sure people will fall for it. You can of course just delete those mails.
Shayla Etherodyne
Delta Laroth Industries
#24 - 2016-05-07 06:55:32 UTC
Hawke Frost wrote:
Shayla Etherodyne wrote:
Netan MalDoran wrote:

What a nice excuse, I'm sure people will fall for it. You can of course just delete those mails.

And somehow make sure I never receive any mail with personal information as long as the API is active ....
You are willing to share a limited API only with your EVE mails here on the forum? The result is very similar. After you give it away you have very little information on who is reading your mail until you delete the key.
Homo Erectus
Evolution
Northern Coalition.
#25 - 2016-05-07 07:48:00 UTC
If you join CFC/Imperium/derpswarm, you may be asked for your Facebook information and home address too. API's are so 2007.
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#26 - 2016-05-07 08:29:44 UTC
Pivo Ace wrote:
Hi there i am looking for a corp and in all(most) the corp they ask for my api key.

I know I can set it via my account management and although I do not understand all the options my concern is what can someone do with my api key?

Can they do anything to my account?
Can they see how I spend my isk?
Can they see my assets?

Why do they want to see "Full API - not negotiable" ?

I do not mind sharing my skills and corp history but it is no one's business what I have in my wallet or in my hangar, right?

Or am I missing something obvious?

You are being smart. Indeed it is true that they dont have any business to see your wallet or hangar nor evemail, ect. Ignore "Full API - not negotiable" corps and talk to who willing to negotiate. I see no harm showing your character skills to apply corp that needs something spesific of you like "miner skills" for example. Here lies the dilemma. In reality showing your Full API does not really matter and as corporation one does not really need to ask for Full API.
Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#27 - 2016-05-07 08:38:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Netan MalDoran wrote:

Brave was more than 12,000 members at it's peak.

Pandemic Horde currently sits at just under 8,300 members.

Neither have ever asked for an API and yet they have provided massive fun and education to new players; offering continuous content in lowsec, nullsec and depending on Corp, J-space too.

Hardly a case of not being Corps/Alliances to be part of. They are both awesome to be part of.

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#28 - 2016-05-07 08:45:01 UTC
Shayla Etherodyne wrote:
Netan MalDoran wrote:

were there kinky things in your mails? i would be embarrased to share those too i guess, or maybe not. Lol

Just Add Water

Linus Gorp
Ministry of Propaganda and Morale
#29 - 2016-05-07 09:03:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Linus Gorp
Hawke Frost wrote:

The API doesn't care about that. It will always return the X most recent mails, regardless of whether you deleted them or not.

Shayla Etherodyne wrote:

Do you encrypt it using, for example, PGP? Because if you don't, it's being read by others, or can potentially be read by others and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, other than encrypt it.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

Pivo Ace
Brave Holdings
Brave Collective
#30 - 2016-05-07 09:40:57 UTC
Thanks for all the replies.

There is nothing distubing or off putting in my mails I was just really wondering. And I have nothing really to hide but why do they want to see where I keep my mission napoc? Or why do they need to know if I talk to someone doing incursions about "the good'ol days". It is like walking into a bar and yelling, "The safe is behind the painting and contain 1 miilion dollar" "Oh and 1 beer please". And i know my assets are not really impressive but still I worked hard for them.

Also an odd way to start a relationship give them everything and jump into the deep with a corp as you know less coming in.

I really liked the Ctrl+Alt+Del comic on the 1st page of replies, thanks for that :)

Well I will make a limited api and give them that if they want one, if they need more it can be talked about. Not going to volunteer for a prostate exam without a good reason.

Homo Erectus wrote:
If you join CFC/Imperium/derpswarm, you may be asked for your Facebook information and home address too. API's are so 2007.

Cannot tell if you are joking...

Kaybella Hakaari
State War Academy
Caldari State
#31 - 2016-05-07 09:49:42 UTC
I think I just found something fun to spend ISK on.

Throw a random billion at someone in one of those "API required" corps and label it as "spai paiment." You know they're going to get asked why that billion showed up.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#32 - 2016-05-07 09:59:08 UTC
Kaybella Hakaari wrote:

Throw a random billion at someone in one of those "API required" corps and label it as "spai paiment." You know they're going to get asked why that billion showed up.

Feel free to end that random billion to me.

I'll be certain to make sure I'm really hauled over the coals for it.
Kyra Lee
Ixian Machines
#33 - 2016-05-07 10:05:21 UTC
Zathra Narazi wrote:
Afraid they'll find out you've been buying an alarming number of Exotic Dancers, Male or something?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

*Goes off to find more hanger space for dance poles*
Lyndar Ozran
Doomheim
#34 - 2016-05-07 10:05:39 UTC
The API demands of most player corporations is the reason why I have not and probably will not ever leave my NPC corp.

While they can't mess with your account details or possessions it's just the principal and ethos of some players to not give out this kind of information. And information is power, power over the players which hand it out freely.

The decision is yours ultimately, but just be aware of possible regret when handing out an API.
Kaybella Hakaari
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2016-05-07 10:16:45 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Kaybella Hakaari wrote:

Feel free to end that random billion to me.

I'll be certain to make sure I'm really hauled over the coals for it.

Yeah, no.
Linus Gorp
Ministry of Propaganda and Morale
#36 - 2016-05-07 10:32:47 UTC
Kaybella Hakaari wrote:

I did that to a friend of mine that used to be in SMA. He asked me for a loan which I gave him. Put in the reason "Thanks for the Intel" just for fun.

His leaders were very disturbed about him 1) being associated with me, 2) receiving ISK from me and 3) receiving it with that reason. He forwarded me all the mails he got and it was just hilarious.

Truth be told, he never gave me any intel, nor did I expect him to. Can't rely on information that someone gets that's so openly associated with me.

When you don't know the difference between there, their, and they're, you come across as being so uneducated that your viewpoint can be safely dismissed. The literate is unlikely to learn much from the illiterate.

Marcus Tedric
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2016-05-07 14:41:04 UTC
It's asked for because you're not a real person and there are no consequences for your behaviour - which is why, I strongly believe, people play EVE the same way they would RL if they could.....

If people only had a single EVE Avatar (or even, given the way EVE really needs playing, two) - or perhaps at least had all their accounts/characters linked by a 'unifying code'; then much of it wouldn't be necessary.

If EVE pilots were real people you could meet and assess (the gas mask thing I have both done and run and is no comparison); then even then the 'Full API' is not much different to an enhanced CV and data check.

The EVE API is all we have to try and see if you might be the person you say you are.....

Don't soil your panties, you guys made a good point, we'll look at the numbers again. - CCP Ytterbium

Ashlar Maidstone
MoonFyre BattleGroup Holdings
#38 - 2016-05-07 15:16:15 UTC
@OP, I will repeat a couple points here and that is, depending on who the corp/alliance is, they will generally ask for a full API as others have said which is akin to a back ground, work history check.

Now my corp, only requires a PARTIAL API or LIMITED API as it's called. I'm not interested in how many girl friends on your contacts you have, or how much isk you have, and your mail? Who wants to read your mushy love letters?

In all seriousness tho, any corp/alliance that asks for a full API you should be leary of, but then again there are corps/alliances out there that are quite honorable, ask CVA, Shadow Cartel, just to name a couple of highly respectable alliances.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2016-05-07 18:57:23 UTC
Pivo Ace wrote:

Why do they want to see "Full API - not negotiable" ?

Because you're about to become a nameless cog in their boring machine.

Make a handful friends, start a small corp, love EVE.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Kieron VonDeux
#40 - 2016-05-07 19:26:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kieron VonDeux
Ashlar Maidstone wrote:
...In all seriousness tho, any corp/alliance that asks for a full API you should be leary of, but then again there are corps/alliances out there that are quite honorable, ask CVA, Shadow Cartel, just to name a couple of highly respectable alliances.

It only takes a change in leadership to go from honorable and respectable to something out of the movies. Just ask many people in certain countries these days for RL analogies.

Its a slippery slope, and when Corps start wanting full API and even more like RL information, that is when you really start to consider why. Its like anything on the Internet, once it is known, it will never go away and when a previously honorable org becomes no longer honorable, what are you going to do then?

Eve really allows some questionable players to really screw over a whole group on levels that couldn't happen IRL, and in response you see groups trying to protect themselves in ways that RL Gov'ts and Corporations do,
...and that is not a good thing.

CCP likes to think it is cool that they have allowed players to do this, but it will only come out bad in the end. The more players try to protect themselves, the more they will drive players away from the game, the smart ones anyways.

It is a game design issue that they need to fix:
One person should not be able to disband an Organization and should not be able to steal so much, and with no real in-game consequence. New unrelated players can easily be purchased in-game.

Such things should always require multiple player approval for asset/Isk transfers or Corp kicking and or majority leadership approval for it to even happen.

And what are we going to say when the first confirmed out-of-game serious violent crime happens related to Eve Online due to in-game activity where the players true identity was disclosed due to common in-game player screening activities, that are forced due to players trying to protect themselves as a result of truly bad game design that is played off as being hard core PVP content?

I realize the EULA protects CCP, but think of the moral responsibility.