These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Carriers

First post
Author
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#661 - 2016-05-06 18:45:42 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
37k alpha if perfect application and max DPS fit and none of them have been killed. good thing my guardian tanks well over 100k and my friendly reps cycle much faster than the fighters volley.

oh yeah also forgot you are not doing any dps because my lone griffin has perma jammed all of your fighters and two of your friends fighters

And I'm totally deploying carriers in situations where a griffin would be surviving long enough to keep my fighters jammed while you chew through the 900k EHP of my carrier that is getting reps as well.

Mhmm.. see now this is just inane. I don't care if your logi can tank 100k buffer, good on you, you've got bigger problems in the other 30 people in my fleet shooting you as well.

Flying caps unsupported is dumb and has always been dumb and trying to pretend you'd ever be in a situation like that with/against me is banal.
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#662 - 2016-05-06 18:52:49 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
37k alpha if perfect application and max DPS fit and none of them have been killed. good thing my guardian tanks well over 100k and my friendly reps cycle much faster than the fighters volley.

oh yeah also forgot you are not doing any dps because my lone griffin has perma jammed all of your fighters and two of your friends fighters

And I'm totally deploying carriers in situations where a griffin would be surviving long enough to keep my fighters jammed while you chew through the 900k EHP of my carrier that is getting reps as well.

Mhmm.. see now this is just inane. I don't care if your logi can tank 100k buffer, good on you, you've got bigger problems in the other 30 people in my fleet shooting you as well.

Flying caps unsupported is dumb and has always been dumb and trying to pretend you'd ever be in a situation like that with/against me is banal.

Ok, and if there are 30 other people in your fleet, they should be able to handle any fleet smaller than the point where they enemy fleet can swat carriers' fighters like flies. In such situations they could just shoot the fighters and probably still come out isk positive even if they don't kill many of you.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#663 - 2016-05-06 18:58:01 UTC
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:

Ok, and if there are 30 other people in your fleet, they should be able to handle any fleet smaller than the point where they enemy fleet can swat carriers' fighters like flies. In such situations they could just shoot the fighters and probably still come out isk positive even if they don't kill many of you.

If my fighters were getting primaried then they're doing their job. Play the objective.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#664 - 2016-05-06 19:41:12 UTC
again its not that carriers are useless it's that there is no reason to use them over other tools. your gang drops a carrier to deal with my sub cap fleet. great now my fleet drops a dread. i can now either clear off your subs faster than you can clear mine then deal with you or i can kill you then refit to deal with the sub caps.

a dread does a carriers role better the only down side is it can't move for 5 min but a decent tackle will make sure the same is true for your carrier
Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
CK-0FF
Intergalactic Space Hobos
#665 - 2016-05-06 23:48:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Miss 'Assassination' Cayman
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
again its not that carriers are useless it's that there is no reason to use them over other tools. your gang drops a carrier to deal with my sub cap fleet. great now my fleet drops a dread. i can now either clear off your subs faster than you can clear mine then deal with you or i can kill you then refit to deal with the sub caps.

a dread does a carriers role better the only down side is it can't move for 5 min but a decent tackle will make sure the same is true for your carrier

Actually there's another downside to dreads: If you're fighting a mobile fleet, they can either close in and possibly get under the dread's guns, or take the fight elsewhere and leave the dread sitting there. Against a battlecruiser/battleship fleet or for fighting over stationary objects like structures or nodes, a dread is definitely the better choice though.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#666 - 2016-05-06 23:52:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
even then though if you are up against a mobile fleet a carrier is not going to do well keeping up nor are it's fighters.

EDIT:

Also even for cruisers it is not easy to get under a dreads guns(assuming it has a propper support fleet) my nag can hit tackled cruisers for over 1k dps as close as 6km and that is with just one standard web tackling it and i'm back over 2k at 9km
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#667 - 2016-05-07 09:14:25 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
The only logi a carrier might alpha is some hilarious snowflake piece of trash fit. Don't buy into the "carrier alphas all the things zomg nerf" spiel some people are sperging, it's utterly false.

Multiple carriers....maybe, if you have like....12-24 of them.

My thanatos can alpha for 27k raw damage. I don't think I've ever encountered a logi cruiser that can survive 324,000 raw alpha as you suggest.

Infact apart from t2 cruisers and above, most vessels would be having a hard time surviving 2x missile volleys, when accounting for the 1600 or so DPS they're eating over the 8 second reload.

A fully dps fit thanatos can whack something for 37000+ in one volley while doing a good 2100dps natively.

So I disagree with what you've said and I hope you have something to back up your claim.

Go test it on sisi, I have but still no one believes me. 37k at 0 resists and a stationary target drops massively the second it moves or isn't shield BC signatures.

I was taking hits for under 300 with like 8k raw armor. I posted the logs somewhere on here. Check my post history.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#668 - 2016-05-07 11:12:04 UTC
Fighters have marginally better application than torps and cruise, respectively
Lugh Crow-Slave
#669 - 2016-05-07 11:31:41 UTC
soo slightly better than the worst lol.

i still think the only thing carriers need is to let their fighters warp on grid so they can take advantage of the range. at that point i think they would be viable in a fleet
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#670 - 2016-05-07 12:12:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Morrigan LeSante
Caleb Seremshur wrote:

Yes, which is why alpha logi is fking preposterous.

Happy? It wasn't even linked.

4 DDA, 4 FSU, 2 omni

TEN damage and application mods.

Still barely scratching it - look at the hits, that fit has over 8600 raw armor HP.

ed: linked the missiles hit for 320ish.
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#671 - 2016-05-07 14:13:38 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:

Yes, which is why alpha logi is fking preposterous.

Happy? It wasn't even linked.

4 DDA, 4 FSU, 2 omni

TEN damage and application mods.

Still barely scratching it - look at the hits, that fit has over 8600 raw armor HP.

ed: linked the missiles hit for 320ish.

Ok so please post the fit of the logi that was being shot.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#672 - 2016-05-07 14:36:42 UTC
It was this

[Guardian, Guardian copy 1]
Damage Control II
1600mm Steel Plates II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Armor Thermal Hardener II
Armor EM Hardener II

Alumel-Wired Enduring Sensor Booster
10MN Afterburner II

Large Solace Scoped Remote Armor Repairer
Large 'Regard' Remote Capacitor Transmitter
Large 'Regard' Remote Capacitor Transmitter

Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Ancillary Current Router II

I know it doesn't fit, but it was sisi, so mods needed to be T2 and reppers offline. The real TQ one is actually tankier.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#673 - 2016-05-07 15:07:13 UTC
Lol I was going to say that's a heretical fit
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#674 - 2016-05-07 15:14:36 UTC
Yeah, you gotta play with the pieces you have on sisi though Smile

But I mean, the tank is pretty typical, if hobo.
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#675 - 2016-05-07 16:19:45 UTC
ITT:

"On grid with my carrier are several ships that are really nasty and can **** me up, AND a Guardian, the most tanky and lowsig Logi out there.

I should try to kill the Guardian."
Lugh Crow-Slave
#676 - 2016-05-07 16:21:37 UTC
What if we made the MWD charge based rather than cool down with an appropriate reload once docked. Would add a lot more choice for a carrier pilot about how far to extend his fighters as well the more it was used the more dpm you give up for reload.
Lugh Crow-Slave
#677 - 2016-05-07 16:22:50 UTC
Syrias Bizniz wrote:
ITT:

"On grid with my carrier are several ships that are really nasty and can **** me up, AND a Guardian, the most tanky and lowsig Logi out there.

I should try to kill the Guardian."

Considering no well tanked ship will be killed by your alpha if you don't get rid of the Guardians you'll find your target back at full health in time for your second Salvo
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#678 - 2016-05-07 23:18:43 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
What if we made the MWD charge based rather than cool down with an appropriate reload once docked. Would add a lot more choice for a carrier pilot about how far to extend his fighters as well the more it was used the more dpm you give up for reload.

Not really, the biggest problem with projecting fighters further from your carrier is that they die so easily.
Without the ability to warp, Light fighters are only viable within a reasonable recall range - Unless your prepared to spend hundreds of millions of isk and use it as ammo (once it is launched it is gone), which really isn't a viable approach when your fighters can make up more than half the cost of your ships fittings.

What seems most interesting right now, is that the price of light and superiority fighters both T1 and T2, is going up not down.
198 mil for a squad of T1 Satyr's
444 mil for a squad of T2 Satyr's
40 mil for a squad of T1 Firbolg's
139 mil for a squad of T2 Firbolg's

Even if those prices halve over time due to researched BPO's, they are still a disposable commodity required to field carriers.
Are those sort of prices going to encourage players to use an all but disposable ship (without lots of - somewhat effective - Triage to try and keep them alive) or will they just see less and less use?

Light Fighters are basically designed as "single use" modules - Their price should reflect this, even at 50% of current prices they are still to expensive to use in the way they have been designed.

Argue all you like the effectiveness or not of light fighters vs guardians, the costs associated with fielding carriers needs to come down A LOT.

CCP's presumption that all Eve players are rich and will willingly throw isk away, is wrong.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#679 - 2016-05-08 00:18:57 UTC
The prices are fine if you are building them yourself (about 81 mill per t2 light flight) however do to them sharing parts with citadels the support fighters are expensive right now. I agree the on grid warp would be better in just trying to throw as many ideas out as I can
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#680 - 2016-05-08 01:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
The prices are fine if you are building them yourself (about 81 mill per t2 light flight) however do to them sharing parts with citadels the support fighters are expensive right now. I agree the on grid warp would be better in just trying to throw as many ideas out as I can

After playing around with a Super on TQ; A light fighter with a limited range MJD ability, 50KM jump with 90 second cooldown.
With a zero spoolup time, would give them the ability to quickly move to engage a target. At more than 50 or 60K from the carrier, they just take too long to return so will often die before you can recall them - Is a decent trade off for the ability to engage quickly...

Building them yourself may be an option but right now, I'm not up for the 30 odd days of training to do that. Capital ship construction - For light fighters. Really?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.