These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

selling to buy orders

Author
sci0gon
Kaira Innovations
#1 - 2016-05-04 06:35:08 UTC
I could never understand the mindset of players who sell to buy orders when there is a large marginal difference between the sell and buy order. I dont think it has to do with a urgency for a quick intake of isk with some of them as i've seen a few where people have thrown away large sums of isk just on selling to buy orders, where as a little patience would of netted them more profit.

have any of you ever had this done and spoke to the person who sold it?
Cista2
EVE Museum
#2 - 2016-05-04 06:46:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Cista2
It could be a case where your idea of what constitutes "large sums" and "a little patience" might differ from the person you have seen sell to a buy order :)

My channel: "Signatures" -

Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#3 - 2016-05-04 06:49:39 UTC
Cista2 wrote:
It could be a case where your idea of what constitutes "large sums" and "a little patience" might differ from the person you have seen sell to a buy order :)

Do I want to spend an hour sorting through this hangar junk?

Nope!

...and it's gone.

Fortunately, one man's junk really is another man's treasure.
sci0gon
Kaira Innovations
#4 - 2016-05-04 06:53:01 UTC
Bad Bobby wrote:

Nope!

...and it's gone.

Very true but at the same time I have to ask, if you had something where you'd lose say 100mil off of one of those items, wouldnt you rather spend 5 mins monitoring the market for that 100mil instead of losing it selling to a buy order?
Bad Bobby
Bring Me Sunshine
In Tea We Trust
#5 - 2016-05-04 06:54:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Bad Bobby
sci0gon wrote:
Bad Bobby wrote:

Nope!

...and it's gone.

Very true but at the same time I have to ask, if you had something where you'd lose say 100mil off of one of those items, wouldnt you rather spend 5 mins monitoring the market for that 100mil instead of losing it selling to a buy order?

Not if I can spend that 5 minutes making 200m instead.

Or doing something else, other than watching orders. Maybe something that is more important to me.

Not everyone is going to care about that 100m to the same degree that you do and many will not even be aware that the 100m is on the table in the first place.
Professor Humbert
Project Fruit House
#6 - 2016-05-04 07:22:03 UTC
If nobody sold to to the buy orders, we would end up with WoW Auction House.
sci0gon
Kaira Innovations
#7 - 2016-05-04 08:45:35 UTC
Professor Humbert wrote:
If nobody sold to to the buy orders, we would end up with WoW Auction House.

its not really about them selling in general its more about the amount they throw away due to selling when comparing the sales price to the buy order price and the thoughts behind it.

Also auction houses arent that bad as long as they are set up correctly with good search function, as they are a lot better compared to the old ro1 and sots user stalls. in addition, wow wasnt the first and wont be the last to have auction houses as a means of player sales.
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#8 - 2016-05-04 10:27:20 UTC
sci0gon wrote:
Bad Bobby wrote:

Nope!

...and it's gone.

100m, for the hassle of 0.01ing....

Also, "right click, sell all" means they never see the market screen.
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-05-04 13:54:23 UTC
I always check the spread with eve praisel, then pick those which are worth setting up a sell order, multi-sell the rest to buy orders.

I'm my own NPC alt.

Cista2
EVE Museum
#10 - 2016-05-04 16:13:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Cista2
sci0gon wrote:
if you had something where you'd lose say 100mil off of one of those items, wouldnt you rather spend 5 mins monitoring the market for that 100mil instead of losing it selling to a buy order?

Well now you are just spinning a tale.

First of all, the *cooldown* on the EVE market is 5 minutes, so you cannot babysit an order for just 5 minutes. Babysitting implies a repetition of 5-minute cycles.

Second, I don't think there is an item in EVE with a 100 mil market spread where you can sell the item on sell order after say, half an hour of babysitting. For example, PLEX you can sell that way, but the spread is 10-15 million more likely. At the other end of the spectrum, implants or ships with a 100 mil spread would take days to sell on sell order.

My channel: "Signatures" -

Arancar Australis
Dead Sun Rising Enterprises
#11 - 2016-05-05 04:19:32 UTC
It is hard to understand if it is not something that is part of your mindset.

Consider this as an example: I am a person who does a lot of missions only, collecting the drops along the way and have no interest in how the market works. I only care about getting the next shinney ship, that next officer module to bling out my ship etc. So when i have collected enough, i just open the Markets Tab, find my item and sell to what ever buyer there is, so that i can fund my next and future missions. As i get the required isk i need for my goal, then i don't worry about what extra i may have missed out on.

The beauty of the sandbox to have all different playing styles that suit each person individually, so that they enjoy what they do within the game. Big smile

Amy Inhibenson
Living Off The Land
Intaki-Business Logistics Union
#12 - 2016-05-05 07:37:27 UTC
People value their money and time differently. That's all it is.
Degnar Oskold
Moira.
#13 - 2016-05-05 15:49:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Degnar Oskold
I tend to do this quite often.

I make high end reaction products at a lower price than most others (I know this because I make huge profits selling to buy orders)

But I have little liquid isk on my industry account. If I don't sell to buy orders and instead put up a sell order, I won't have the ISK that I need IMMIDIATELY to buy the inputs to keep my reactions running. I would rather give up a few hundred mllion ISK profit and keep making my billions rather than than have my production freeze up .

You might argue that I should keep a few billion spare as buffer.

But whenever I have a few billion to spare I buy capital ships and whelp them.

EDIT: My favourite move is when there aren't enough buy orders to buy my output profitably. Then I put a whole load of product on a sell order that''s just 0.01 ISK above the buy order price.

I then see all the 0.01 ISK warriors buying one unit of my product to see who I am. Occasionally, wardecs on my industry alt corp follow...
sci0gon
Kaira Innovations
#14 - 2016-05-05 20:22:42 UTC
Cista2 wrote:
First of all, the *cooldown* on the EVE market is 5 minutes, so you cannot babysit an order for just 5 minutes. Babysitting implies a repetition of 5-minute cycles.

Second, I don't think there is an item in EVE with a 100 mil market spread where you can sell the item on sell order after say, half an hour of babysitting. For example, PLEX you can sell that way, but the spread is 10-15 million more likely. At the other end of the spectrum, implants or ships with a 100 mil spread would take days to sell on sell order.

it was just a rough example as i've seen on more than one occasion, people throwing away that much and more to buy orders.

Degnar Oskold wrote:
II then see all the 0.01 ISK warriors buying one unit of my product to see who I am. Occasionally, wardecs on my industry alt corp follow...

yea i tend to meet that issue a lot too, its why a lot of them hide behind npc alts for their traders since they dont want it getting back to them.
Tempus Halley
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2016-05-05 22:29:10 UTC
PSA: Don't forget to set your sell to "immediate" when selling to a buy order otherwise you eat broker fee which is now 2.5% to 3%.
violator2k5
Crescent Nova
#16 - 2016-05-06 04:13:14 UTC
Tempus Halley wrote:
PSA: Don't forget to set your sell to "immediate" when selling to a buy order otherwise you eat broker fee which is now 2.5% to 3%.

or lower depending on standings as 2% is the lowest obtainable broker fee.
Tharius Mogul
Council of Economic Advisors
Bitter Vets n Noobs
#17 - 2016-05-06 19:54:38 UTC
To many pvp'ers it's easier to just quick sell to get back to the action. Personally, I just like to quick sell loot and such instead of waiting for the isk to come in and dealing with 0.01'ers.
Ortus Maleficus
Lambent Enterprises
#18 - 2016-05-06 21:10:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Ortus Maleficus
Many station-to-station traders will sell to buy orders because they are more concerned with making any profit that is guaranteed instead of possible larger profits. It is lower risk, especially when you might not come back to that region for a while.

So just example, you fly Widgets from Jita to Dodixie, and still make a profit on selling to buy orders. However, you could create sell orders instead, but it turns out the market was already on the downturn and now you lose money on the Widgets instead.

Tempus Halley wrote:

A TON of people don't know this, actually.
Aker Krane
OMEGADYNE LABS
Rising Darkness
#19 - 2016-05-09 13:52:41 UTC
There are several reasons/combination of reasons to do this.

1.) Buy orders represent sufficient/target margin with the purchase of raw materials/build costs.
2.) A large disparity between mark up and buy can be a product of high demand or low demand.
3.) With low demand products, high mark up margins do not signal realized profits. That is just "hope".
Hope is not a market strategy.
4.) Forecast downturn in input costs.
5.) Opportunity costs associated with playing the 1 isk game too high.
6.) Free up trapped liquidity.
7.) Input compression

There are probably several other reasons, but these are some of the top ones.
Areen Sassel
Dirac Angestun Gesept
#20 - 2016-05-09 20:30:51 UTC
Ortus Maleficus wrote:
Tempus Halley wrote:

A TON of people don't know this, actually.

I think I tend to forget it because it's such a horrific piece of UI screw that obviously it wouldn't be like that, it would just charge you the broker fee if the order couldn't be executed immediately. :-(
12Next page