These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Limited character customization options ?!

Author
Greg Fawx
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#1 - 2016-05-04 06:05:21 UTC
What the title says. Ok, I know. Most of the time you fly with a ship so you rarely see your character. But for those who want to fly with style there are VERY limited vanity items for your character in the store. What's up with that? Vanity items don't break the game and it is a good way for ccp to get some extra cash. The market in the game has 1-2 across the map and those you find there are overpriced. The price for a T-shirt is 10 times the price of a ship. Immersive? Not likely.
I'm a new player so I don't know what's going on with the items. if they give away some for specific seasons.. Or if they had and they removed from the store. Don't get me wrong.. i know the game is not a fashion show. But since it is a sandbox - immersive game with the option of customization... I wonder why there are limited customization options for your character.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#2 - 2016-05-04 09:41:41 UTC
Hi Greg,
yes they are over priced ,
yes there is a limited range ,

But

Thats because we the players specifically and explicitly told ccp some years ago that we wanted game balance and development of inspace features with general game health to come first if they wanted to keep us as paying customers.

If you are curious about this history you should google "eve Incarnea" or "eve summer of rage", its enlightening.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2016-05-04 10:13:15 UTC
What Ralph said....

Just as a note I'm still pissed that what options for character customization are in game are here. I would rather have my old avatar back or better yet the silhouette that we had in between.

Every time CCP introduces new customization options they risk pissing off the people that were here for the Incarna release. So they have to tread lightly there.

From my personal perspective I pay a monthly fee to play this game. I don't want to be advertised to and sold virtual goods in an environment that I pay to play in. I am old enough to remember when cable TV was first a thing. They sold it to us because when you payed for cable TV you did not get commercials. Then when they started playing commercials on cable TV I never understood why everyone didn't just cancel their subscription.

The way I see it a game company is either collecting a monthly subscription or they are trying to sell me virtual goods through microtransactions not both. If you are going to market virtual goods to me then why am I not playing a free to play game?

You may not see it the same way that I do but hopefully that gives you some perspective on the history and why CCP has to be careful with character customization options.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Memphis Baas
#4 - 2016-05-04 12:33:24 UTC
You have a small dev team able to code and handle an MMO as complex as WoW, because they don't generate "content" (new zones, new quests, new armor, etc.), but rather they simply code a bunch of ships and they let the players (us) generate the content with all the drama and wars.

So the game has had its history of ****** features. As far as devs go, CCP aren't all that awesome; they very much like to explore new ideas but very rarely follow through to flesh them out or expand them. So they pushed out the NEX store with a few horribly expensive items, years ago... and that's it. Enjoy.

The game isn't a fashion show. This means "more clothes" is so far down the priority list that it's in the "we'll never have time for this" category.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#5 - 2016-05-04 12:37:31 UTC
Exept for all the new clothes we got a little while back.
Greg Fawx
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#6 - 2016-05-04 17:17:22 UTC
Ralph if you are referring to the "walking in stations" expansion then yes i heard the story..
If the game has bugs etc bugs comes first and the rage back then was justified. Right now from everything i know and hear the game is solid. Of course with every expansion something will break that needs to be fixed.. still.. for a game that lasted more than a decade of paying subscription they could give more to everything and everyone. No need to be pay to win but in the game through expansions. Vanity items maybe can hit some sensitive nerves to some old players but we are not talking about Incarnea size content that needs resources and time from the company.. im talking about the little things. :/
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-05-04 23:13:49 UTC
Greg Fawx wrote:
Ralph if you are referring to the "walking in stations" expansion then yes i heard the story..
If the game has bugs etc bugs comes first and the rage back then was justified.

The following is just my take on what happened so take it for what it is worth:

I think that people bitching about how time was spent was really just an excuse. Yes the game had bugs but we all learned how to play with them and barely noticed them any longer. They weren't game breaking. What I think happened is two fold.

First CCP promised that walking in stations would be completely optional. They swore up and down that no one would be force to use it if they did not want to. Even in the days just before the patch they insisted it would not be forced upon us. Come patch day we were all forced into captain's quarters every time that we docked. There was no opt-out much less an opt-in as we were promised.

Second I think a lot of us at the time took pride in how gritty Eve was and liked the fact that it was a game more about gameplay mechanics than about playing dress-up. We liked the fact that players who prioritized form over function went elsewhere.

For me it was a combination of me having an extreeme distaste for being marketed to combined with me having left WoW in early 2009 and come to Eve to escape exactly what happened in Incarna.

I realize that the 18 million players that Blizzard had paying $15 per month was an amount of money that changed MMO gaming and was just too much temptation for other gaming companies to not try and emulate. It's just sad for people like me that don't enjoy that type of game and do enjoy what Eve used to be. It makes me sad with every little step Eve takes in that direction.

With this last patch a few days ago they put TV screens in my station. Sometimes it makes me feel like crying. Sad

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2016-05-04 23:18:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Good movie that also addresses the topic: A Tale of Internet Spaceships

Incarna starts at 23:35
Solonius Rex
F0RCED ENTRY
#9 - 2016-05-05 03:56:22 UTC
Greg Fawx wrote:
If the game has bugs etc bugs comes first and the rage back then was justified. Right now from everything i know and hear the game is solid. Of course with every expansion something will break that needs to be fixed.. still.. for a game that lasted more than a decade of paying subscription they could give more to everything and everyone. No need to be pay to win but in the game through expansions. Vanity items maybe can hit some sensitive nerves to some old players but we are not talking about Incarnea size content that needs resources and time from the company.. im talking about the little things. :/

it's not that there were bugs. incarna brought along with it some useless, stupid features that wasted an entire expansion cycle.

walk-in stations was a meaningless addition, because there were no other feature to it other than the ability to walk around, sit down, etc. you couldn't see or interact with other players, you couldn't decorate or anything, all you could get out of it was 10 minutes of "oh, this is kinda cool" and that's it.

and then there was the micro transactions for vanity items, which were overpriced. How overpriced? $60 for a monocle. that's around 3-4 billion ISK worth of plex in today's standards. shirts cost $20 too.

all of this came at an even greater cost of jumping the system requirements of the game well beyond what it used to be. in a single update. imagine paying 6 months in advance, and having billions of ISK in assets and hundred of hours invested, only to find out that you couldn't play anymore because suddenly your computer couldn't handle it.

People were paying $15 a month for six months waiting for an expansion that lost any novelty after 10-20 minutes, and the "opportunity" to pay even more money for vanity items.

Greg Fawx
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#10 - 2016-05-05 13:13:12 UTC
Thank you all for your answers. I have now a better understanding of what happened and why you think like you do. I totally get it.
I would feel the same I guess.
Wrong timing for "walking in stations".. Amongst many bad decisions from ccp and how they handled it. The idea was great but they didnt executed as it should. Its sad :/

Tau thanks for the link it looks interesting i will watch it for sure.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2016-05-05 22:48:21 UTC
Greg Fawx wrote:
Thank you all for your answers. I have now a better understanding of what happened and why you think like you do. I totally get it.
I would feel the same I guess.
Wrong timing for "walking in stations".. Amongst many bad decisions from ccp and how they handled it. The idea was great but they didnt executed as it should. Its sad :/

Tau thanks for the link it looks interesting i will watch it for sure.

Ya it's a shame because it probably could have been something really nice if they had just been more honest and open and less forceful and propaganda like.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2016-05-06 18:02:19 UTC
Funcom were good at vanity items.

AO at it's core was an awesome game, not so much with some of the expansions.
Funcom Devs just like CCP Devs face a very difficult task

Making all the people happy all of the time.
Did I say difficult ...
When I really meant impossible.

There's a lot of people who will view ANYTHING not related to exploding spaceships as a complete and total waste of time of dev resources, they also have the atypical misplaced self-entitlement beliefs that go along with the thought process.

Would more hair options or even hats be nice to have, well sure, hats would be freakin awesome.
Hats however don't make spaceships explode.
See how it goes :)

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2016-05-06 21:43:26 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:

There's a lot of people who will view ANYTHING not related to exploding spaceships as a complete and total waste of time of dev resources, they also have the atypical misplaced self-entitlement beliefs that go along with the thought process.

I don't see how you are correct here. I see it the complete opposite.

I played WoW when it was a fun and challenging game. When the game changed it's focused and dumbed down for a young audience and put bright, flashy, loud and obvious flashy noisey crap as a reward every time you tied you own shoes, I did not insist that they game change for me. I did not feel entitled to a game that stayed challenging and focused on game mechanics. Instead I went looking for another game that did.

So then I came to Eve which was not flashy. It had not achievement system that rewarded you for doing stupid **** like jumping to a new system for the first time. It was an adult game with an adult player base. The avatars were not very complicated. The game was not all that pretty. The market was deep and complicated. The game mechanics were challenging. I saw people that had been playing for years and were still learning stuff about the game.

Then they prettied up the website and made it worse. Then they over complicated the avatars and forced me to use them. Then they dumbed down the game and made it progressively simpler. They prettied everything up and made it less functional.

I'm not saying that every game out there should change it's self to be what I want. What I am saying is that I came to Eve as an adult looking for an adult game that was challenging and focused more on game mechanics than it did aesthetics. I also came to Eve looking for a game that charge by the month and did not have microtransactions. When I came to Eve it had all of that.

Eve used to be the one safe haven for people like me when every other MMO out there was trying to be the same. If you ask me what self-entitlement is it is the people that come to this game and insist that it become like every other MMO out there. If you like that playstyle so much why not just go play all those other games?

Take a step back and look at it, who seems more self-entitled... the people that came to Eve for what it was and expected it to stay true to what it purported to be or the people that came to Eve and expected it to change and become what they want it to be?