These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Adding lasting consequence to Skill Packet use, aka Space AIDS

Author
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#21 - 2016-02-03 01:04:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
It adds a lot to social aspects of the game. Good addition. SP junkies will be thrown away outside the decent circles of society. Someone will make a rehab, patients will cry a lot. Good feature.

But CCP being lazy shmucks, would of course not even look at what it can add to a game, and people that are interested only in SP amount, and are not acustomed to idea of "power, but for a great price" will say only, "Wuuuuuuuuuuu, you want to waste devs time!"

Devs are there in the first place to waste time on things that would improve gameplay.
Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#22 - 2016-02-03 01:57:17 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
It adds a lot to social aspects of the game. Good addition. SP junkies will be thrown away outside the decent circles of society. Someone will make a rehab, patients will cry a lot. Good feature.

But CCP being lazy shmucks, would of course not even look at what it can add to a game, and people that are interested only in SP amount, and are not acustomed to idea of "power, but for a great price" will say only, "Wuuuuuuuuuuu, you want to waste devs time!"

Devs are there in the first place to waste time on things that would improve gameplay.

The monetary incentive is there with Character Resulpts being used to to reset scarification back to stage 1. I'm pretty sure CCP isn't allergic to money esspecially with all the ex-veteran EA people employed now. Lol

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Alundil
Rolled Out
#23 - 2016-02-03 02:51:05 UTC
Dr Cedric wrote:
If we're looking for a drawback to injecting SP, then how about just listing the amount of injected SP on a players info window?

Simple to track, simple to implement and an easy was to see if the 2 week old character you are looking at is a real threat or not


There is literally zero benefit to knowing whether someone does or does not inject skill packets.Outside of your overly fearful example of a 2 week old character who might have more sp than you and own you by surprise. Which, honestly, if that happens you're not very good/prepared at this game. Rule number one has always been HTFU followed closely by Don't fly what you can't afford to lose. If the two week old kills you it will be because you were outplayed so take your lumps and learn from it or jetcan your possessions on the Jita 4-4 undock. But it won't have **** to do with whether that pilot injected skill or not.

I'm right behind you

Alundil
Rolled Out
#24 - 2016-02-03 03:12:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Alundil
Pleasure Hub Node-514 wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
It adds a lot to social aspects of the game. Good addition. SP junkies will be thrown away outside the decent circles of society. Someone will make a rehab, patients will cry a lot. Good feature.

But CCP being lazy shmucks, would of course not even look at what it can add to a game, and people that are interested only in SP amount, and are not acustomed to idea of "power, but for a great price" will say only, "Wuuuuuuuuuuu, you want to waste devs time!"

Devs are there in the first place to waste time on things that would improve gameplay.

The monetary incentive is there with Character Resulpts being used to to reset scarification back to stage 1. I'm pretty sure CCP isn't allergic to money esspecially with all the ex-veteran EA people employed now. Lol

Speculate on personnel and motivations much?
Exactly how many ex-EA people are at CCP now? Not very many (at least publicly acknowledged).
'But muh microtransactions'.

CCP responding, slowly, to a changing payment dynamic is smart for CCP (and is consequently is equally smart for fans of EVE since as CCP goes, so goes EVE).

As for 'power, but for a great price' vs 'abloobloo wasting dev time' we play a group of murderous immortal all powerful beings who collectively routinely trash enough ISK (according to game lore) to feed hundreds of millions of New Eden people per day. That shuttle in the ass end of nowhere you can't be bothered to collect? 15k ISK? Trash. Etc etc. What lesson about power and great consequence (because that is what you, Nana, meant) can you teach a person who cannot die and earns enough in an hour's time to cover millions of 'normal' lifetimes? Nothing.

Skill packs offer a potential ability for people to speed things up for themselves. It doesn't magic skills into thin air. They have to come from someone prior to that. If it puts people in hulls before they know what to do with them, great. That means they learn the same rules of EVE that you (were supposed to) and I did, see above. They lost a ship, at least to help learn that lesson. Great. Driving the economy to boot? Perfect. People complaining about this for reasons of 'It's not fair because ___________' need to get over themselves and let go of the Pepperidge Farms meme of how hard it used to be and get with the new norm of bringing in more players and the game not forcing them to choose between quitting or an ice pick to the temple.

I'm right behind you

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#25 - 2016-02-03 08:28:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Alundil wrote:
What lesson about power and great consequence (because that is what you, Nana, meant) can you teach a person who cannot die and earns enough in an hour's time to cover millions of 'normal' lifetimes? Nothing.

I can teach you few things about a mental health. Visuals aside.
If you inject SP, it will ostensibly improve your self acceptance, and falsely in fact. You are capsuleer pilot, prone to having skeved social and psychological views on the rest of people of New Eden, and other pilots, you risk paranoia daily, you risk a life of thousands of crew members. Injecting SP would only confirm you have problems, create more problems, and not solve anyone's problem. Only time and effort, together with hard work can resolve problems. Not SP injectors.
You will fall faster than you think you can, injecting SP. Everything around you will fall faster onto you, to the point where you would lose a meaning of your own life. This because of overconfidence. You will risk inadequately. You will fall.
Sir Constantin
#26 - 2016-02-15 13:15:48 UTC
CCPlease this needs to be implemented, would generate so much shittalk and Rp.

Might be a lot of work in making all those graphical changes on a 3D body so a distinct little red triangle on the avatar picture would be enough.
Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#27 - 2016-02-15 13:20:32 UTC
Sir Constantin wrote:
CCPlease this needs to be implemented, would generate so much shittalk and Rp.

Might be a lot of work in making all those graphical changes on a 3D body so a distinct little red triangle on the avatar picture would be enough.

There are many little ways to implement the feature and iterate as time goes on.

A tattoo decal that applies to the back on the pod plug ports could suffice.

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#28 - 2016-02-15 14:01:06 UTC
I want that. Just to see people like IronBank or Stromgren rot away with space plague.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#29 - 2016-02-15 14:56:20 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
I want that. Just to see people like IronBank or Stromgren rot away with space plague.


And then what? Will you fell better about yourself if they have a different avatar portrait?
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#30 - 2016-02-15 20:37:32 UTC
Alundil wrote:
Dr Cedric wrote:
If we're looking for a drawback to injecting SP, then how about just listing the amount of injected SP on a players info window?

Simple to track, simple to implement and an easy was to see if the 2 week old character you are looking at is a real threat or not


There is literally zero benefit to knowing whether someone does or does not inject skill packets.Outside of your overly fearful example of a 2 week old character who might have more sp than you and own you by surprise. Which, honestly, if that happens you're not very good/prepared at this game. Rule number one has always been HTFU followed closely by Don't fly what you can't afford to lose. If the two week old kills you it will be because you were outplayed so take your lumps and learn from it or jetcan your possessions on the Jita 4-4 undock. But it won't have **** to do with whether that pilot injected skill or not.


there is a great benefit to knowing whether someone has injected skill packets - you can make a 'has' and a 'has never' crowd - thus creating social divide. I, for instance, would never join a corp where the leadership had 'space-aids' or any of the members had advanced 'space-aids' (not because aids, but because they go against my ideals of working hard and patiently for goals)
I would also (as corp leadership) actively seek to exclude new members who had 'space aids', because again principles about working/waiting. This could then be a nice little conflict driver.

and to those who say bittervets are bitter and ***** about how new players are impatient and demanding...... what proportion of older to newer players do you think would have the patience to build a freighter from scratch, mining all their mins, grinding missions or rats for isk to buy BP's?
I built my fenrir, and I take pride in that accomplishment. Other people buying their fenrirs and saying they built them themselves diminishes my achievement.

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#31 - 2016-02-15 20:56:01 UTC
@Xe'Cara'eos

Glad to see you're looking at it this way. There is fascinating potential to see how the social aspects of EVE evolve under this proposal.

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#32 - 2016-05-04 08:41:54 UTC
Still room for this happen with a spoilage of injectors.

Anyone placing bets on the Drifter Boosters having adverse reactions one of these days?

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Previous page12