These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Will EVE Go VR?

Author
Morgan Johnstone
Doomheim
#1 - 2016-05-02 14:04:19 UTC
Quick question/speculation request:

Do we see EVE Online going completely to VR in the coming years? When I say this, I mean that VR will be the only way to play EVE.

I get that VR is "the next big thing," but what about people who play EVE now that can't use a VR or even can't afford one?

JW...

Morgan Johnstone

Disabled Players Union

TigerXtrm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2016-05-02 14:06:37 UTC
What have you been smoking that you even considered this a possibility?

VR is a gimmick. Nothing more. It will never ever replace traditional gaming on a flat screen.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Morgan Johnstone
Doomheim
#3 - 2016-05-02 14:12:41 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
What have you been smoking that you even considered this a possibility?

VR is a gimmick. Nothing more. It will never ever replace traditional gaming on a flat screen.

Sounds good to me. :)

Morgan Johnstone

Disabled Players Union

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2016-05-02 14:19:33 UTC
Why do you need VR to look at Spreadsheets?

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Tigh Edatosmi
Dromedaworks inc
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#5 - 2016-05-02 14:34:22 UTC
Shae Tadaruwa wrote:
Why do you need VR to look at Spreadsheets?

Spreadsheets in 3D. Behold, Excel Tensor 2020!
Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#6 - 2016-05-02 14:39:07 UTC
I won't lie, having a VR option for EVE might make me save up for a VR headset. Being able to literally look around my ship for navigation would be fantastic.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#7 - 2016-05-02 14:41:29 UTC
no.

Daemun of Khanid

Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2016-05-02 15:01:46 UTC
I'd be interested in trying out room-scale VR to walk around the grid. Perhaps one controller would be a clipboard like graphic showing all the usual controls and overview, the other controller would be to manipulate those controls as well as zoom, rotate and move the grid view. Not sure how immersive/useful that would be though, beyond just eye-candy.
marVLs
#9 - 2016-05-02 15:22:51 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:

Pretty sure that quote will be "lol" in future
TigerXtrm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2016-05-02 15:30:27 UTC
marVLs wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Maybe 50 years from now. The current bulky "wear big thing on face with massive wire coming out" itteration that is VR isn't in any form a comfortable way of gaming. As new tech becomes available I'm sure it will conquer its place, but that's decades away.

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
CODE.
#11 - 2016-05-02 15:37:41 UTC
marVLs wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

I'm sure you also have one of this 3D TVs.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#12 - 2016-05-02 15:40:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2016-05-02 15:45:55 UTC
TigerXtrm wrote:
marVLs wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Maybe 50 years from now. The current bulky "wear big thing on face with massive wire coming out" itteration that is VR isn't in any form a comfortable way of gaming. As new tech becomes available I'm sure it will conquer its place, but that's decades away.
I think "decades" is an extremely pessimistic view. Consider that less then 10 years ago, the most advanced smartphone was something like a Palm Treo with a 320x320 display. There will certainly be situations for which VR isn't appropriate, but I think the technology will be significantly advanced in only a few years.
Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#14 - 2016-05-02 16:17:17 UTC
VR will be the norm and not a gimmic once its built into our eyeballs and doesnt require extra "gear." Go ahead and hold your breath. Blink

Eve has absolutely zero to gain from and would be idiotic to format for VR just like most other 3rd person games. Just take a look at the "glowing" reviews for the pointless 3rd person titles shipped w occulus rift. WTF would anyone think Super mario would be cool in VR. When youre out of person that kinda defeats the purpose of "virtual REALITY" dont you think? The only way to put eve into vr would be to change the entire game to a first person experience... Like I dunno... Valkyrie? Point being, at that point its not eve anymore.

Daemun of Khanid

Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#15 - 2016-05-02 16:20:06 UTC
marVLs wrote:
TigerXtrm wrote:

Hows that Nintendo Virtual Boy? Wasnt that supposed to be the "next generation of gaming?"

Daemun of Khanid

Vegarc
Doomheim
#16 - 2016-05-02 18:07:41 UTC
Morgan Johnstone wrote:

Do we see EVE Online going completely to VR in the coming years? When I say this, I mean that VR will be the only way to play EVE.

I get that VR is "the next big thing," but what about people who play EVE now that can't use a VR or even can't afford one?

JW...

How you can play EVE, drink beer and eat pizza at the same time when VR headset interrupts your vision in the real world?
hurgmurflUr
Doomheim
#17 - 2016-05-02 18:21:02 UTC
Good lord, I hope not.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#18 - 2016-05-02 18:27:18 UTC
oh man i play eve waaaaaaaaaaaaay too drunk to be screwing around with expensive **** like a vr headset.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#19 - 2016-05-02 18:31:01 UTC
Vegarc wrote:
Morgan Johnstone wrote:

JW...

How you can play EVE, drink beer and eat pizza at the same time when VR headset interrupts your vision in the real world?

Exactly, You could end up playing pizza, eating beer and drinking EVE.
Pix Severus
Empty You
#20 - 2016-05-02 18:31:21 UTC
Vegarc wrote:
Morgan Johnstone wrote:

JW...

Some VR headsets have a front-facing camera which displays constant footage of your room/desk/whatever in a small window in the corner of your virtual screen, allowing you to interact with the real world, while playing in the virtual.

Anyway, we would probably get real spaceships before EVE became VR-only.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

123Next pageLast page