These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RMT and Null Sec Alliances

Author
Ocih
Space Mermaids
#141 - 2012-01-12 17:34:11 UTC
Eternum Praetorian wrote:
Ocih wrote:

RMT is like a virus. If you want to try and cut it out with a knife, feel free. I give you a week to live. Same for EVE. They can't bann away RMT. They need to immunize EVE. It won't happen over night.

Digital mafia is the best mafia? Are they going to like... Suicide gank the ships I never undock? Or like... find what country I live in and come to my house?

WTF are you talking about? LOL

Nice spin. Inaccurate but it did the job. You were able to remove all the valid points and condense it to something you could attack.

Gratz, you pass propaganda 101 Smile
Martyr Theos
The NecroMonger Faith
#142 - 2012-01-12 17:44:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Martyr Theos
Bumblefck wrote:
met worst wrote:
It would take CCP 20 minutes to do the same and match his details to a CC# to nail him.

I'm sorry, what?

Just because you like playing internet detective (don't get me wrong, it's fun!) are you seriously suggesting CCP should actively track people down to their real life places of work/residence, matching and tracing CC numbers, spying on what cars they own through Google Earth and god knows what else, just because they choose to sell some internet pixels?

Regardless of what the EULA says, RMTers commit no RL crime. I await someone to give a link stating the the opposite is true... Sure, CCP might not like RMT, but please don't forget that they don't have the power or indeed the mandate (from anyone) to do **** like this.

Nice post though! :)

Actually, in keeping with the constantly touted "risk vs. reward" principle of EVE, CCP should track them down... and execute them for crimes against the game community! Now THAT would be "Risk vs. Reward" !Lol
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#143 - 2012-01-12 18:04:24 UTC
Martyr Theos wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
met worst wrote:
It would take CCP 20 minutes to do the same and match his details to a CC# to nail him.

I'm sorry, what?

Just because you like playing internet detective (don't get me wrong, it's fun!) are you seriously suggesting CCP should actively track people down to their real life places of work/residence, matching and tracing CC numbers, spying on what cars they own through Google Earth and god knows what else, just because they choose to sell some internet pixels?

Regardless of what the EULA says, RMTers commit no RL crime. I await someone to give a link stating the the opposite is true... Sure, CCP might not like RMT, but please don't forget that they don't have the power or indeed the mandate (from anyone) to do **** like this.

Actually, in keeping with the constantly touted "risk vs. reward" principle of EVE, CCP should track them down... and execute them for crimes against the game community! Now THAT would be "Risk vs. Reward" !Lol

Ha, best post in the thread :)

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Lord Wiggin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#144 - 2012-01-12 18:04:31 UTC
Martyr Theos wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
met worst wrote:

I'm sorry, what?

Wouldn't it be better for the game if CCP id'ed them, then set them -10?
Free targets! Cool

Ziranda Hakuli
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#145 - 2012-01-12 18:54:57 UTC
Rico Minali wrote:
Rize Overload wrote:
what evidence you need really?
theres tons of RMT sites selling isk and plex at half price.
how do u think they get it? of course from big alliances in 00.

Go to any hisec ice system and count the macks and take names, go back any time of day every day and you still see the same names. Gank a few and watch their pods do teh same routine till DT.

Count the hisec systems with ice, multiply that by teh average number of macks in them, probably about half are bots. Multiply that figure by the hourly mining yield of a mack, multiply that by 23, multiply that by the average cost of ice.

Now tell me that nullsec is where the RMT isk is coming from. Dont beleive me? Go to Outuni and ask a question in local, somethign inocuous that lots of people could answer and see how many do. Bump a few macks around, gank a few. Go and test it out.

Null sec is the easy scapegoat for most people who dont actually live there, hisec is botting heaven not nullsec.

Actually i think the ballance between botters in empire spice and null sec is pretty even. Personal i highly disapprove of the botting and I do take the time to report them once i investigated said acorp/alliance members and even them people who are blue.

With so many Bot programs out there many can be detected on server side but a rare few that are not detectable requires some investigation. Bumping said target trying to chat with him in local or most of private convo but it sometimes takes more then a few minutes of prodding the suspect.

As for RMT there are always rumors of someone doing it not just in null sec but also in empire.

Remember the EULA if you have not read it then maybe you should take the time.
Taedrin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#146 - 2012-01-12 19:48:22 UTC
Reilly Duvolle wrote:

Hello botter, nice to meet you.

Ah yes. the old "no you" retort. How refreshing.

You fail to understand what Eternum Praetorian is saying. He is saying that just because there is no evidence doesn't mean that it can't be true.

You are seeing that if you don't have evidence it can't be true. This is patently false - the nonexistence of evidence is not evidence of nonexistence.

In fact, most allegations of RMT and botting is due to contextual evidence:
- Alliance leaders prohibiting members from reporting RMTing and botting of other members to CCP.
- Prevalence of ISK selling websites
- Horrible profits on mining ores
- The creation of various 3rd party applications like BACON by 0.0 alliances
- The reported success of the Monkeysphere Exploit
As Eternum Praetorian mentioned, none of this is actually CONCLUSIVE evidence, so it will NEVER be enough to show that 0.0 alliances participate in RMT and botting.
My Neutral Toon
Doomheim
#147 - 2012-01-12 20:02:25 UTC
WTF is RMT?

not everyone is on the up and up.

...Can't. Tell. If ...Troll? Or Serious....

Butt Hurt about Harrasment? Read first GM post: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=88362&find=unread

Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#148 - 2012-01-12 21:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Ocih wrote:
Ocih wrote:

RMT is like a virus. If you want to try and cut it out with a knife, feel free. I give you a week to live. Same for EVE. They can't bann away RMT. They need to immunize EVE. It won't happen over night.

Digital mafia is the best mafia? Are they going to like... Suicide gank the ships I never undock? Or like... find what country I live in and come to my house?

WTF are you talking about? LOL

Nice spin. Inaccurate but it did the job. You were able to remove all the valid points and condense it to something you could attack.

Gratz, you pass propaganda 101 Smile

I am endeavoring to be a more upstanding member of the forum community, by taking **** vastly out of context, misreading it and then going on a self-serving rant. So glad you approve! LolLol

Now all the rest of you asshats continue...
I love to see how many arguments you can make against "Google does not have tons of RMT sites on it" ROFL!

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]

Ursula LeGuinn
Perkone
Caldari State
#149 - 2012-01-13 04:57:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Ursula LeGuinn
Bumblefck wrote:
Sure, CCP might not like RMT, but please don't forget that they don't have the power or indeed the mandate (from anyone) to do **** like this.

Actually, they do possess the power to do this. Anyone (in the US, at any rate) can use publicly available information to track down another person. It's not an illegal or even unethical thing to do, unless the information so obtained is used for illegal purposes, such as: harassment, identity theft, burglary, invasion of privacy (determining someone's name, address, phone number, place of residence and vehicle doesn't qualify), and so on.

I'd say they have every right, from both a legal and ethical standpoint, to follow an Internet breadcrumb trail, identify an RMTer, link them to their EVE account(s), and then terminate their service. They may already be doing this on occasion and we just don't know about it, but as others have pointed out, RMT is not a problem that can ever be eradicated.

"The EVE forums are intended to provide a warm, friendly atmosphere for the EVE community." — EVElopedia

Morganta
The Greater Goon
#150 - 2012-01-13 05:07:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Morganta
Ursula LeGuinn wrote:
Bumblefck wrote:
Sure, CCP might not like RMT, but please don't forget that they don't have the power or indeed the mandate (from anyone) to do **** like this.

Actually, they do possess the power to do this. Anyone (in the US, at any rate) can use publicly available information to track down another person. It's not an illegal or even unethical thing to do, unless the information so obtained is used for illegal purposes, such as: harassment, identity theft, burglary, invasion of privacy (determining someone's name, address, phone number, place of residence and vehicle doesn't qualify), and so on.

I'd say they have every right, from both a legal and ethical standpoint, to follow an Internet breadcrumb trail, identify an RMTer, link them to their EVE account(s), and then terminate their service. They may already be doing this on occasion and we just don't know about it, but as others have pointed out, RMT is not a problem that can ever be eradicated.

you do realize how many domain registrations lead back to a little old lady in Peoria, Illinois right?

seriously
anyone with half a brain knows how easy it is to backtrace people on the internet, its been happening to spammers for close to 20 years now
couple that with domain and hosting providers who will sell services to anyone with a credit card and you can pretty much guess the rest

CCP knows this, and while it is possible to expend tons of resources to track these people down and... well who knows, what can they do honestly if they catch someone? ban their account?
ouch

so they do what many police narcotics & vice units have done in the past and bust the buyers and Johns instead of the dealers and prostitutes. Scaring off the customers is so much more cost effective then trying to track down some nameless group that's gone to ground, as the Brits say.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#151 - 2012-01-13 05:19:06 UTC
Ever notice how threads like this get derailed?

Just saying.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

met worst
Doomheim
#152 - 2012-01-13 05:27:40 UTC
Not quite sure what you mean by derailed.

The question asked is proving (by identifying) evidence that 0.0 alliances are involved in RMT.

As is being discussed, you need to identify who it is first and there are several RL methods to assist - from that we can assume that we could trace the RL person behind it.

As Morgs pointed out though, even if CCP DID expend the time and energy and found a "culprit", what would it really gain? better to scare the crap outta the buyers and put the sellers "outta bizness".

Regardless, the OP's point about "proving" it is almost moot. Even if CCP nailed them, they are sure as hell not going to tell us...

So any accusations are based (IMO) on probabilities given the AMOUNT of ISK and BPO's available.
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#153 - 2012-01-13 05:50:50 UTC
met worst wrote:

So any accusations are based (IMO) on probabilities given the AMOUNT of ISK and BPO's available.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=687

i was there when CCP busted up the 0.0 hub that is Ingunn
Cybele Lanier
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#154 - 2012-01-13 15:43:46 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
For all those people who truly believe that alliances are involved in RMT.. now is the time to put up or shut up.

In the event, they did neither. I think you have your answer now, OP. Smile

"You don't need luck. You need theft things and run."

Prince Kobol
#155 - 2012-01-13 15:52:51 UTC
Cybele Lanier wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
For all those people who truly believe that alliances are involved in RMT.. now is the time to put up or shut up.

In the event, they did neither. I think you have your answer now, OP. Smile

Yeah.. I was kind of hoping for something more, a lot more.

Not even anybody on an alt naming names... the shame

So I will just go with, yes whilst I am sure some RMT is going on, there is not some big conspiracy involving CCP and the null sec alliances and is more likely done by hoards of pilots in NPC corps in their hulks and macks mining and their BS in missions who work directly for the RMT Sellers and the maybe odd few hundred pilots acting on their accord.

Avensys
The Waterworks
#156 - 2012-01-13 17:34:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Avensys
Prince Kobol wrote:
there is not some big conspiracy involving CCP

dude, the Russian connection is obvious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rg%C3%B3lfur_Thor_Bj%C3%B6rg%C3%B3lfsson wrote:
He went to Russia along with his father and his friend Magnús Þorsteinsson.

A report published in Denmark noted that the Committee on External Economic Relations in Saint Petersburg Mayor's office was responsible for foreigners. The committee's chairman was Vladimir Putin between 1991 and 1996.[2]

The Icelandic businessmen, together with Russian partners, founded bottling company Baltic Bottling Plant, which was sold to Pepsi. Next they founded a brewing company. ООО "Торговый дом "РОСА" was registered in March 1995 and changed its name to Bravo OOO in February 1996 (address was also changed). It further changed its name to Bravo International OOO in August 1996 and Bravo International JSC in December 1997.[2] Founders of Bravo were six companies registered in Limassol, Cyprus - Björgólfsson was president of all of them.[2] Bravo Brewery became a success on the premium beer Botchkarov.

An article in The Guardian (2005) wondered where Björgólfsson's money comes from and noted that in the 1990s the Icelanders "were not only ploughing money into the country but doing it in the city regarded as the Russian mafia capital. That investment was being made in the drinks sector, seen by the mafia as the industry of choice."[3] Competitors in the Saint Petersburg brewing market faced problems. For instance, Ilya Weismann, deputy director of competing beverage company Baltic, was assassinated on January 10, 2000. Later Baltic director general Aslanbek Chochiev was also assassinated. One competing Saint Petersburg brewery burned to the ground.[2][3]

The company became the fastest growing brewery in Russia. Heineken bought the brewery for $400m in 2002.[2][4]

He returned to Iceland to gain interest in numerous ventures there. [such as a 30% stake in CCP]

Forgot about the reason why CCP showed up in that Illuminati thread on AboveTopSecret but you should check that out, too.

You only don't see the conspiracy because you don't want to see it.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#157 - 2012-01-13 17:38:38 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Cause based on assumptions.. It will end well.

In order to actually root it out, you have to directly connect the target with "RMT site" which could be difficult.
You can assume it is so. But you will not win an cause on the assumptions.

Wrong again. RMT is not going anywhere... EVER. It's like torrent. The cause is lost! Nothing can stop this! You will all be slaves to your RMT lords!!!!

I agree its not going anywhere... But on the other hand i dont care if someone makes real cash out of game resources..
If there are buyers there will be sellers. Simple as that.
Prince Kobol
#158 - 2012-01-13 19:44:59 UTC
Avensys wrote:
Prince Kobol wrote:
there is not some big conspiracy involving CCP

dude, the Russian connection is obvious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rg%C3%B3lfur_Thor_Bj%C3%B6rg%C3%B3lfsson wrote:
He went to Russia along with his father and his friend Magnús Þorsteinsson.

A report published in Denmark noted that the Committee on External Economic Relations in Saint Petersburg Mayor's office was responsible for foreigners. The committee's chairman was Vladimir Putin between 1991 and 1996.[2]

The Icelandic businessmen, together with Russian partners, founded bottling company Baltic Bottling Plant, which was sold to Pepsi. Next they founded a brewing company. ООО "Торговый дом "РОСА" was registered in March 1995 and changed its name to Bravo OOO in February 1996 (address was also changed). It further changed its name to Bravo International OOO in August 1996 and Bravo International JSC in December 1997.[2] Founders of Bravo were six companies registered in Limassol, Cyprus - Björgólfsson was president of all of them.[2] Bravo Brewery became a success on the premium beer Botchkarov.

An article in The Guardian (2005) wondered where Björgólfsson's money comes from and noted that in the 1990s the Icelanders "were not only ploughing money into the country but doing it in the city regarded as the Russian mafia capital. That investment was being made in the drinks sector, seen by the mafia as the industry of choice."[3] Competitors in the Saint Petersburg brewing market faced problems. For instance, Ilya Weismann, deputy director of competing beverage company Baltic, was assassinated on January 10, 2000. Later Baltic director general Aslanbek Chochiev was also assassinated. One competing Saint Petersburg brewery burned to the ground.[2][3]

The company became the fastest growing brewery in Russia. Heineken bought the brewery for $400m in 2002.[2][4]

He returned to Iceland to gain interest in numerous ventures there. [such as a 30% stake in CCP]

Forgot about the reason why CCP showed up in that Illuminati thread on AboveTopSecret but you should check that out, too.

You only don't see the conspiracy because you don't want to see it.

Now that is very interesting.. first time I have every heard about this.

You see, this is good.. we need more posts like this because if CCP are aware of who is involved in RMT, or are indeed involved in RMT, then nothing will change until it become public knowledge in the gaming world.
met worst
Doomheim
#159 - 2012-01-13 20:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: met worst
Prince Kobol wrote:
...is more likely done by hoards of pilots in NPC corps in their hulks and macks mining and their BS in missions who work directly for the RMT Sellers and the maybe odd few hundred pilots acting on their accord.

And a quick look through at least one RMT site I dug through will find several Titans available at approx. US$1600 each (just one example).

Last I heard, this required a CSAA in nullsec and given the cook time, support of the alliance holding the CSAA. If this is not proof of 0.0 alliance/s being involved then I'd be eager to hear how not. Really, it's a question of WHO and HOW MANY in 0.0 are involved, not WHETHER they are.

If I was the OP, I'd be asking how sales of vessels of this size don't attract SOME attention - at alliance level (unless leadership is involved) or even at CCP level.

You draw your own conclusions.

EDIT. Another thought. A highseccer, even a very successful one is going to make let's say 100m/hour. He's going to need to work 3 hours just to make $10 (assuming 300m isk for $10 is the going rate). Who would? If he runs multiple accounts, he also needs to make enough to pay for his plexes. A lot of work for very little return.

It's why I keep saying so much of the income MUST be coming from passive income streams in the billions, possibly trillions. Only one place and one way that happens.
Admiral Pelleon
White Shadow Imperium
#160 - 2012-01-13 20:48:35 UTC
met worst wrote:
And a quick look through at least one RMT site I dug through will find several Titans available at approx. US$1600 each (just one example).

Last I heard, this required a CSAA in nullsec and given the cook time, support of the alliance holding the CSAA. If this is not proof of 0.0 alliance/s being involved then I'd be eager to hear how not.

Hilarious.

They could have easily purchased the Titans through a third party and paid for it with ISK. Titans are being sold all the time using this method.

Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.