These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Recycle corpses for 'capsule only' nutrient bath augmentation

Author
Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#1 - 2016-04-16 12:38:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Jadek Kin
Carried over from discussion here

Dissolving a player corpse creates a nutrient bath that moderately augments your pod capsule (for a limited time, and only when you are in the pod capsule floating in space) (e.g decreased pod scan resolution, increased pod warp speed, pod structure health, etc). The strength of these attributes would be impacted by the meta level of the implants in the corpse being liquidated.

The idea is inspired by the pod goo recycling scene from the matrix.



Jadek Kin wrote:
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Can't corpses just remain a novelty collectable item? Do we really need weird suggestions like these all the time?

I would rather the devs did something useful - like fix LP stores.

Implant filled corpses have an importance in lore now with the Drifter threat. Capsuleers themselves may not be overly concerned with the Drifters, nor cleaning up any corpses that eventually make their way to build Drifter ranks. However, the Drifters are a concern to the empires.

Here's an idea, members of the Concord Assembly broker with SoCT to share upgrades to pod tech with corpse nutrient baths. This serves the function of encouraging capsuleers to be more vigilant in gathering corpses to recycle them into temporary pod augments. This in turn hinders the ability of the Drifters to harvest corpses to rebuild their army.

(Note: the implants within corpses cannot be harvested, and the nutrient bath bonuses only apply to traveling within a pod).
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#2 - 2016-04-16 13:34:23 UTC
NO

Why?

Currently everything that increases performance or stats for your ship is available to everyone with ISK by way of the markets.
If this became a thing in the game it would give a few players an advantage over the rest, an advantage they clearly do not need based on the simple fact that they have corpses they could liquefy.
Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#3 - 2016-04-16 14:24:57 UTC
@Donnachadh

So what about having only negative performance changes for consuming a dissolved corpse? There's also some nice roleplay and PvP bragging rights potential here.

Visit the discussion over here.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=477358&find=unread

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#4 - 2016-04-16 19:15:38 UTC
Donnachadh wrote:
NO

Why?

Currently everything that increases performance or stats for your ship is available to everyone with ISK by way of the markets.
If this became a thing in the game it would give a few players an advantage over the rest, an advantage they clearly do not need based on the simple fact that they have corpses they could liquefy.
corpses are considerably more abundant than purple modules and can be traded via contract,
should we apply the same argument to those?
Bad argument , still a terrable idea though, easily farmed with an alt or two ... Or more.
Ben Ishikela
#5 - 2016-04-17 19:40:52 UTC
Sounds reasonable.
A whole new market for hunting pods could arise.
Warpspeed could be a thing.
Consumed as a booster Slot 4 maybe?
As you mentioned: Implant-worth should be calculated into the amount thats dropped to compensate for boring alt-farming. (however thats done.)

Ideas are like Seeds. I'd chop fullgrown trees to start a fire.

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#6 - 2016-04-17 23:29:53 UTC
Can't corpses just remain a novelty collectable item? Do we really need weird suggestions like these all the time?

I would rather the devs did something useful - like fix LP stores.
Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#7 - 2016-04-18 04:17:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jadek Kin
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Can't corpses just remain a novelty collectable item? Do we really need weird suggestions like these all the time?

I would rather the devs did something useful - like fix LP stores.

Implant filled corpses have an importance in lore now with the Drifter threat. Capsuleers themselves may not be overly concerned with the Drifters, nor cleaning up any corpses that eventually make their way to build Drifter ranks. However, the Drifters are a concern to the empires.

Here's an idea, members of the Concord Assembly broker with SoCT to share upgrades to pod tech with corpse nutrient baths. This serves the function of encouraging capsuleers to be more vigilant in gathering corpses to recycle them into temporary pod augments. This in turn hinders the ability of the Drifters to harvest corpses to rebuild their army.

(Note: the implants within corpses cannot be harvested, and the nutrient bath bonuses only apply to traveling within a pod).
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#8 - 2016-04-18 04:28:17 UTC
You'd need a way to view the implants within said corpses first.

And that's just not going to be possible for some particularly old collections - I know most of my collection is from before implants were even on killmails.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#9 - 2016-04-18 04:33:06 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
You'd need a way to view the implants within said corpses first.

And that's just not going to be possible for some particularly old collections - I know most of my collection is from before implants were even on killmails.

Ok, not all corpses would apply when the mechanic releases. Even put a time limit on how long a player has to harvest a corpse before it's no longer fresh (and the implant bonus to the nutrient bath is voided).
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#10 - 2016-04-18 04:40:02 UTC
Another thing to consider, as far as ingame commodities go, the only one explicitly stated as part of pod fluid? Completely illegal in all of highsec except Minmatar space and will result in some hilarious Customs shenanigans.

How's the legality of this stuff going to work?

Consider that capsule fluid is a pretty carefully calibrated substance. Messing with it is probably Very Much Not Good, lorewise, for either the function of the capsule or the safety of the pilot.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#11 - 2016-04-18 04:51:52 UTC
Space magic. There's a way to explain pretty much anything in New Eden.

I'm sure the Concord Assembly can authorize pod goo augments with new tech backing from SoCT. Put your trust in those upholding the mantle of the Jove.

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#12 - 2016-04-18 12:32:27 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
Another thing to consider, as far as ingame commodities go, the only one explicitly stated as part of pod fluid? Completely illegal in all of highsec except Minmatar space and will result in some hilarious Customs shenanigans.

Could you rephrase that? Are you saying transport of pod goo outside the pod is illegal?
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#13 - 2016-04-18 16:11:28 UTC
See here. http://puu.sh/omWS5/9e4d03e721.png

Description and Legality tabs for "Ectoplasm" ingame - it's the only item ingame stated to be part of pod fluid production. There's obviously more parts that aren't on the markets or in the item DB, but it's a little odd that the only one that is, is illegal for transport everywhere but the Republic.

You're also suggesting what amounts to a booster, so in keeping with the existing game mechanics, and with the expectation that messing with your pod fluid is an incredibly risky/stupid/insane idea from a personal safety standpoint, one would imagine that doing things to it ought to have drawbacks - which would make it fall under the category of boosters that are considered illegal in empire space.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#14 - 2016-04-18 18:27:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jadek Kin
Morwen Lagann wrote:
See here. http://puu.sh/omWS5/9e4d03e721.png

Description and Legality tabs for "Ectoplasm" ingame - it's the only item ingame stated to be part of pod fluid production. There's obviously more parts that aren't on the markets or in the item DB, but it's a little odd that the only one that is, is illegal for transport everywhere but the Republic.

You're also suggesting what amounts to a booster, so in keeping with the existing game mechanics, and with the expectation that messing with your pod fluid is an incredibly risky/stupid/insane idea from a personal safety standpoint, one would imagine that doing things to it ought to have drawbacks - which would make it fall under the category of boosters that are considered illegal in empire space.

Thank you for linking that.

Also speaking for the 'legality' of boosters why haven't Drifter boosters been deemed unsafe for empire space. Is that just a case of the laws not catching up with emergent tech?
Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#15 - 2016-04-19 12:33:22 UTC
Nothing dangerous is ever going to come from Drifter drugs. Hell, people have been using Sansha modified implants for years without CCP stepping in and providing consequences to their use.

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#16 - 2016-04-19 12:50:46 UTC
Are you still banging on about this horse ****?
Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#17 - 2016-04-19 16:12:21 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Are you still banging on about this horse ****?

Your point has been noted. If you have nothing to add, move along.
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#18 - 2016-04-19 17:13:05 UTC
Jadek Kin wrote:
Also speaking for the 'legality' of boosters why haven't Drifter boosters been deemed unsafe for empire space. Is that just a case of the laws not catching up with emergent tech?


They don't have any penalties or drawbacks to their use. They're basically overpowered Synth-grade boosters (8% instead of 3%), so not being illegal makes sense. As far as the lore goes with those, we don't even know who makes them for certain; if the Drifters are the ones manufacturing them then it isn't out of the question that the lack of drawbacks is because they're just that good at it.

Messing with your pod fluid, on the other hand, realistically would run the risk of causing problems, so penalties would make sense there.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Jadek Kin
Incorruptibles
#19 - 2016-04-19 18:21:51 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
Jadek Kin wrote:
Also speaking for the 'legality' of boosters why haven't Drifter boosters been deemed unsafe for empire space. Is that just a case of the laws not catching up with emergent tech?


They don't have any penalties or drawbacks to their use. They're basically overpowered Synth-grade boosters (8% instead of 3%), so not being illegal makes sense. As far as the lore goes with those, we don't even know who makes them for certain; if the Drifters are the ones manufacturing them then it isn't out of the question that the lack of drawbacks is because they're just that good at it.

Messing with your pod fluid, on the other hand, realistically would run the risk of causing problems, so penalties would make sense there.

Couldn't the same argument you're making for Drifter drugs being free of drawbacks also be applied to Jove tech under the care of SoCT? The Jove are gone, but they know pod tech. Consider the following, the SoCT are encouraged by the Empires to release tech that encourages capsuleers to be more vigilant in cleaning up and recycling their own corpses so the Drifters can't get their hands on the implants in those bodies.
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#20 - 2016-04-20 16:19:36 UTC
Possibly?

To be fair I wasn't thinking of drawbacks that'd make a difference to the capsule (since if you're in a pod you are probably screwed anyway), but negatively impact the operation of the ship because of contaminants in the fluid affecting the capsuleer - remember, you're breathing that **** into your lungs in place of air.

Modules randomly shutting off or turning overheat on/off would be fun. Too bad the damage control is passive now. Lol

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque