These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

So this article appeared.

First post
Author
Genji Tanakara
Phoenix Intelligence
#1 - 2016-04-15 14:51:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Genji Tanakara
http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-online-battle-control-most-boring-video-game-world-2352253

A awful hack job imho in many parts.

Edit: btw guys... did you know that 11 MILLION Isk was lost in the battle of B-R? I thought it was a bit higher than that. It also happened in 2012, not 2014. Non fact checked article is fail!

Edit 2: Quote from the article

"But it is almost impossible to take what Gianturco says at face value. An arch manipulator, he is keen to promote his side’s view of the current conflict, and in leaked chat logs shown to IBT after an interview with him, Gianturco boasts that the media (and IBT in particular) are “eager to print whatever I’ll tell them.”.

Yeap...
Dkeh Weis
Digital Innovations
#2 - 2016-04-15 14:55:28 UTC
Well that backfired Smile

Eve will make you work a solid month all on your own for your first cookie. Then kick you in the nuts and take that cookie, and laugh at you for thinking you could have a cookie at all.

Alecto Furia
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2016-04-15 15:26:53 UTC
So there's an article that ***** on EvE and your response is to provide a direct link to it? Whose side are you on here?
Mister Ripley
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2016-04-15 15:29:55 UTC
Alecto Furia wrote:
So there's an article that ***** on EvE and your response is to provide a direct link to it? Whose side are you on here?

What side? EVE Fanboy defending EVE with his life, side?
Speedkermit Damo
Invicta.
#5 - 2016-04-15 15:34:34 UTC
Genji Tanakara wrote:
http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-online-battle-control-most-boring-video-game-world-2352253

A awful hack job imho in many parts.

Edit: btw guys... did you know that 11 MILLION Isk was lost in the battle of B-R? I thought it was a bit higher than that. It also happened in 2012, not 2014. Non fact checked article is fail!

Edit 2: Quote from the article

"But it is almost impossible to take what Gianturco says at face value. An arch manipulator, he is keen to promote his side’s view of the current conflict, and in leaked chat logs shown to IBT after an interview with him, Gianturco boasts that the media (and IBT in particular) are “eager to print whatever I’ll tell them.”.

Yeap...

A bad article, by a journalist who clearly wasn't interested enough to do any research. Neither the game itself nor the players come off very well.

Mittens got burned though so it's not all doom and gloom.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Genji Tanakara
Phoenix Intelligence
#6 - 2016-04-15 16:02:15 UTC
Alecto Furia wrote:

Oh I'm on EVE's side.

I just want the players to know of how much this journalist cares about us ;p
james ayyhan
Capital Maintenance
#7 - 2016-04-15 16:11:00 UTC
Mits did try to get this out and make the game sound as dead as possible with his empire crumbling around him he need to win but lost out big time no one can take this guy seriously he has become so deluded by a fantasy that he is the a emperor of the universe and no one has the right to oppose him.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
#8 - 2016-04-15 16:23:29 UTC
It just calls EVE boring, which let's face it, it is. Few of us would actually be here if it wasn't for the fact we've been here too long to quit now. The forum is generally more interesting than the game.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Speedkermit Damo
Invicta.
#9 - 2016-04-15 16:42:07 UTC
I'm not entirely convinced of the wisdom of CCP allowing an obnoxious douchbag like Mittens to continue to be the public face of Eve Online to the world at large.

Tme to stop bending the knee methinks.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Aaron Honk
Distributed Denial of Service
#10 - 2016-04-15 16:48:00 UTC
Talk for you lucas, a lot of people actually really enjoy the game.

The article is quite bad, there was absolutely no research done, and tons of error or misleading point...

Quote:
Playing “Eve Online” is notoriously boring. Players (initially at least) must scour the universe for minerals to mine, then mine the minerals, transport the minerals, refine the minerals and sell the minerals.

This article is trying to categorize eve players into a single group... There is so much more more to it than just "go mine some rocks and build a spaceship...

Quote:
but for the most part you are on your own.

That's ridiculous...

Also I don't know if anyone was able to read between the lines but this article clearly calls out The Mittani for RMT... not very good publicity for the game.
Speedkermit Damo
Invicta.
#11 - 2016-04-15 16:48:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Speedkermit Damo
deleted

Sustrai Aditua
Intandofisa
#12 - 2016-04-15 16:50:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Sustrai Aditua
The last time I expressed my unvarnished opinion of a certain organization's judgement I was handed a 90-day suspension - and I didn't even CUSS. That being said; knowing Mitt as I do it never ceases to amaze me why so-called "responsible" people find him fascinating and even authoritative. I know some of this is in his pretentious behavior (which I'm sure is being mistaken as genuine). However, in the main his act is more suited to enamor the middle-school crowd, of which he imagines himself to be a certain Pied Piper. Who's the bigger fool; the fool or the fools who follow him?

If we get chased by zombies, I'm tripping you.

Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#13 - 2016-04-15 17:00:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Aaron Honk wrote:

Quote:
Playing “Eve Online” is notoriously boring. Players (initially at least) must scour the universe for minerals to mine, then mine the minerals, transport the minerals, refine the minerals and sell the minerals.

This article is trying to categorize eve players into a single group... There is so much more more to it than just "go mine some rocks and build a spaceship...

Most people are just like that author though. To them EVE is boring, because they need structured activities and guidance to enjoy an interactive situation like a game. The gaming industry knows this, which is why most games are 'on rails' , hold the player's hand through out the experience and basically create games that are basically just like movies that you can control the protagonist in.

Games (and other situations) like EVE are only really "fun" for people who like to make their own stories,who find tool use fun in and of itself, and who like to learn intricate systems and then find different ways to do things once that system is learned. All of this is why games like Star Citizen (with their emphasis of direct, manual 'fun') will never be competition for EVE, but Space Engineers could well be....

The "EVE is boring" crowd is best ignored, because it just takes too much developer work to keep shoveling them the kinds of 'content' they find fun. CCP is always better off just making more tools for people who find using tools in and of it self to be what's 'fun'.
Genji Tanakara
Phoenix Intelligence
#14 - 2016-04-15 18:20:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Genji Tanakara
Jenn aSide wrote:
Aaron Honk wrote:

Quote:

Most people are just like that author though. To them EVE is boring, because they need structured activities and guidance to enjoy an interactive situation like a game. The gaming industry knows this, which is why most games are 'on rails' , hold the player's hand through out the experience and basically create games that are basically just like movies that you can control the protagonist in.

Games (and other situations) like EVE are only really "fun" for people who like to make their own stories,who find tool use fun in and of itself, and who like to learn intricate systems and then find different ways to do things once that system is learned. All of this is why games like Star Citizen (with their emphasis of direct, manual 'fun') will never be competition for EVE, but Space Engineers could well be....

The "EVE is boring" crowd is best ignored, because it just takes too much developer work to keep shoveling them the kinds of 'content' they find fun. CCP is always better off just making more tools for people who find using tools in and of it self to be what's 'fun'.

It's kinda like the game series mount and blade.

The first game and it's expansion warband were great games because they don't attempt to really guide you into a path your "destined to be". You go around and try and build your own path. Then the next game "fire and sword" sucked balls because it tried to force a story onto you and gives you objectives. Immediately a ton of the original game's charm was lost because of this (firearms also didn't help).

What I'm ultimately saying is that EVE should stay where it is for the most case and focus on improving the parts that people like and enjoy about it, not force a direction that EVERYBODY NEEDS UNLESS THEY BECOME LOST AND MISGUIDED AND STARTS GETTING SCARED...

PS: Star Citizen is in scope creep hell atm. It will get released some time in 2036..unless they announce new features for it.
Seven Koskanaiken
Guerillas in the Mist
Outlanders United
#15 - 2016-04-15 18:33:28 UTC
Genji Tanakara wrote:
in leaked chat logs shown to IBT after an interview with him, Gianturco boasts that the media (and IBT in particular) are “eager to print whatever I’ll tell them.”.

This article is what happens when you attempt to make a ***** out of people who buy ink by the barrel.

Aiwha
Infinite Point
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#16 - 2016-04-15 19:39:50 UTC
The Mittani knows he's on the way out, and he's gonna try and burn EVE as bad as he can.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2016-04-15 19:54:19 UTC
RiP Goons, have fun in H1Z1 or whatever other game you're told to play.

LolLolLol Going out with a whimper, what a bunch of plebs.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Jacques d'Orleans
#18 - 2016-04-15 20:27:45 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
It just calls EVE boring, which let's face it, it is. Few of us would actually be here if it wasn't for the fact we've been here too long to quit now. The forum is generally more interesting than the game.

Miner calm down!
I'm pretty sure for the PH guys who evicted SMA to Outer Ring the game wasn't boring at all.
pushdogg
relocation LLC.
#19 - 2016-04-15 21:00:24 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:

For miners. Ironically I can't find a game as exiting as Eve.
Mario Putzo
#20 - 2016-04-15 21:03:50 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
RiP Goons, have fun in H1Z1 or whatever other game you're told to play.

LolLolLol Going out with a whimper, what a bunch of plebs.

Pubbies.
123Next page