These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Recurring Opportunities coming soon

First post
Author
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1521 - 2016-04-13 21:19:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Nope. You get 25 24 hours or training for having an active queu for 24 hours with a skill in there and you will still get 24 hours of SP for having a queu active for those 24 hours with a skill there.
No.

Again: you train for 24 hours. This is not the same thing as getting 24h worth of training. With this change, your training for 24h will only get you 18–28h worth of training. To get the full 24 hours worth, you have to obey. If you don't, you get punished.

Quote:
I will get all the SP I qualify for and not receive those I don't qualify for.
In other words, by not conforming to CCP's demands on when and how to play, you are being punished by having your daily allotment of SP reduced to only 18–20 hours worth, as opposed to the full 24 hours. You lose time.

Quote:
It's stupid but it's the only way that stupid feature will get them what they want.
…except that they have already explicitly confirmed that it is not. It's stupid because CCP stupidly refuses to accept and admit that they did something stupid, so instead they double down and hope — stupidly — that one stupidity will cancel the other out. This, of course, is even more stupid than either stupidity in isolation, but that's CCP for you: better to be stupid at a geometric rate than to change your mind and admit fault.

No. You still get 24 hours worth of training if you do it or not because the SP you get is X/hours based on your stats and the stats needed for the skill. You get exactly 24 hours worth of SP a X SP/hours where X is the ratio generated by the 2 stats require for the skill. This will still be the case unless they change the training system. You will get exactly just a many SP from the passive training.

If you choose to go with the opportunity, you CAN get an extra as long as you fulfill the different list of requirement for it. If you don't do it, then it's like not having a skill in queue, you get nothing because you don't deserve it since you didn't fulfill the requirement. It's entirely on you to try or not to fulfill them.

You read what I said wrong or something. What I said is that the only way they will get log-ins out of THAT feature (the opportunity feature, not any other feature in the game) is to make the task really simple. The harder they make it, the less people will do it. Reversing the skillqueu change would indeed more than likely recover them the lost log-ins but this is not what I was talking about. I was talking about the opportunity feature. It's a bit. People will take it hook, line and sinker. We know that, CCP knows that and that's the exact idea. They want opportunity to generate log-ins. They don't want the skillqueue to generate log-ins so backtracking the queue change is not their preferred solution.

It's a cake inside the barb-wired cage. Accept to do something you don't really want to and you'll get cake!

The BEST way to "each" CCP to not do this again would be to not take care of it. Not log any single time more than you usually do. No one taking the bait unless they really would of played. Keeping the amount of content as it was almost always and just taking this when you happen to pass by a rat in your normal activity. If nobody ran for it, CCP would have to do something else because they would see no gain into it. The issue, is, the complete lack of self control of the player base to teach CCP a lesson. The carrot is too good for the playerbase to show them they don't want dailies. They rather do them and ***** about them than just flat out not doing them as a message that it is a stupid idea and it won't get what they hope from it. Anyone selling a product will play on that and CCP is no different. They will offer us what we want under their condition. We literally don't have to do it but they know that deep down, many will break down and do it. The very reason why boycott don't work isn't because the idea is wrong at it's core. It does not work because people can't follow them. If CCP stop making money because the playerbase had enough, change would come because they can't afford to no sell subs/PLEX but people would rather cry and whine on the forum and reddit while making sure all their account are subbed/plexed because guess what? It gives them SP.

The majority of the player base is probably against daily (the silent one have not put their word in yet so I can't say for sure...) but I'd be willing to bet a PLEX that many of the people currently posting here about how dailies sucks will run them as close to the 22 hours mark as possible because they can talk but won't act.

The playerbase of the "HTFU" game is weak minded and easily tricked with a small cake.
Aydan Talvanen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1522 - 2016-04-13 21:22:39 UTC
AttentionAttentionAttentionDAILY BURN JITAAttentionAttentionAttention
Xe'Dola'Kahn
A Big Enough Lever
#1523 - 2016-04-13 21:23:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Xe'Dola'Kahn
CCP Rise wrote:
Another small update:

Thanks to feedback we see that it would improve the experience quite a lot minimize the amount of characters available for this reward so we are going to limit the reward to the first character completing the daily task on each account.

Thanks

This is a big improvement (for reasons I can't quite define - ?farming the feature?), I still think you should be able to get the reward for popping a rock or hacking a can

and regarding your comments about logging in to shoot your alt - how is that less interesting than shooting a belt rat in HS?
- you still achieve your log in, and better yet - when you blow your alt up (assuming pod-kills don't count unless there're implants inside and rookie ship kills don't count unless there's non-civ modules fitted), you're feeding the economy by explosions creating demand for ships/modules (and ammo, unless the killer's amarrian.)
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1524 - 2016-04-13 21:24:17 UTC
Ravcharas wrote:

I'm not saying this feature is the equivalent of setting a car on fire. For one thing it can be turned off if whatever metrics they intend to use don't tick upwards at a satisfactory rate. (Although I'm afraid that's not what would happen, instead CCP would reach the conclusion that the solution to this pesky screw problem is to use an even larger hammer.)

They will see an uptick in log-ins. If this will lead to content or not is to be determined when it's live. I think it will do just out of the raw possibility. It will be more people in space for some time no matter how limited it is so it will at some point lead to something. That does not make it a good idea. It's still bad and something entirely different should be put forward to make people want to log in more often if they want people to log in more often.
Terhiss
United Mining and Hauling Inc
The Initiative.
#1525 - 2016-04-13 21:26:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Terhiss
Hear me out for a second

- This can potentially inject 20% addtional SP in the total pool of the game.

- Which means veterans that are no longer interested in the added SP can finance themselves by converting the extra SP to isk.

- Easy to agree on so far. The next step to do that is to buy a Skill extractor.

- This means the demand for extractors goes up.

- That means prices of extractors go up.

- That goes up until the price of the extractor eats up all your profit from selling the injector. And injector prices are likely to go down due to the extra supply now on the market.

-At this point its no longer profitable in any way to buy the extractors with isk. But..... you can buy them with REAL money on the cash shop.... :)

The house wins again. That's why they're doing it. To increase extractor prices so that it becomes more profitable to buy them with real cash. I might be completely off but its one likely scenario. I'm 100% certain their "Chief space-economist" has drooled extensively on his wet-dream-charts and sexy-economical-curves.

Please read and give me your thoughts
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1526 - 2016-04-13 21:26:54 UTC
Xe'Dola'Kahn wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Another small update:

Thanks to feedback we see that it would improve the experience quite a lot minimize the amount of characters available for this reward so we are going to limit the reward to the first character completing the daily task on each account.

Thanks

This is a big improvement (for reasons I can't quite define - ?farming the feature?), I still think you should be able to get the reward for popping a rock or hacking a can

and regarding your comments about logging in to shoot your alt - how is that less interesting than shooting a belt rat in HS?
- you still achieve your log in, and better yet - when you blow your alt up (assuming pod-kills don't count unless there're implants inside), you're feeding the economy by explosions creating demand (and ammo, unless the killer's amarrian.)

You could shoot a rookie ship and get a kill. It's also kinda bad because it mean getting a second account is even more optimal then it already is right now since it's much easier to shoot your own alts than to shoot anyone else. Even if you refuse rookie ship kills, you have 2 slot to recycle alts so they get beginner mission which reward free ship up to a destroyer so you can still do it for free as long as you are dedicated enough.

It's the EVE playerbase so people will be dedicated enough.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1527 - 2016-04-13 21:28:20 UTC
Terhiss wrote:
Hear me out for a second

- This can potentially inject 20% addtional SP in the total pool of the game.

- Which means veterans that are no longer interested in the added SP can finance themselves by converting the extra SP to isk.

- Easy to agree on so far. The next step to do that is to buy a Skill extractor.

- This means the demand for extractors goes up.

- That means prices of extractors go up.

- That goes up until the price of the extractor eats up all your profit from selling the injector. And injector prices are likely to go down due to the extra supply now on the market.

-At this point its no longer profitable in any way to buy the extractors with isk. But..... you can buy them with REAL money on the cash shop.... :)

The house wins again. That's why they're doing it. To increase injector prices so that it becomes more profitable to buy them with real cash. I might be completely off but its one likely scenario. I'm 100% certain their "Chief space-economist" has drooled extensively on his wet-dream-charts and sexy-economical-curves.

Please read and give me your thoughts

That is of course a reason why it's SP and not aurum for example.
Xe'Dola'Kahn
A Big Enough Lever
#1528 - 2016-04-13 21:28:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Xe'Dola'Kahn
Seperate comment from my previous...

Rise:
you have not made it clear whether these points will go towards the current training queue by default (assuming a queue is active) or if they are default free SP (available to allocate to FOTM ships/skills off plan)

Frostys Virpio wrote:
Xe'Dola'Kahn wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Another small update:

Thanks

- you still achieve your log in, and better yet - when you blow your alt up (assuming pod-kills don't count unless there're implants inside), you're feeding the economy by explosions creating demand (and ammo, unless the killer's amarrian.)

You could shoot a rookie ship and get a kill. It's also kinda bad because it mean getting a second account is even more optimal then it already is right now since it's much easier to shoot your own alts than to shoot anyone else. Even if you refuse rookie ship kills, you have 2 slot to recycle alts so they get beginner mission which reward free ship up to a destroyer so you can still do it for free as long as you are dedicated enough.

It's the EVE playerbase so people will be dedicated enough.

I've edited my post to exclude rookie ships (unless non-civ mods fitted) and empty pods, so whenever a ship goes boom, it creates a bit more demand.

If someone is willing to run the career agents day after day (I thought they locked you out after you'd used that agent) - they'll be online significantly longer - exactly what CCP wants
If someone is alt recycling - they deserve to get banned
Aydan Talvanen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1529 - 2016-04-13 21:36:38 UTC
Xe'Dola'Kahn wrote:

Rise:
you have not made it clear whether these points will go towards the current training queue by default (assuming a queue is active) or if they are default free SP (available to allocate to FOTM ships/skills off plan)

Here is your answer
http://imgur.com/a/077WO
Eonan Dmalum
Waffle Strategic Services
WAFFLES.
#1530 - 2016-04-13 21:40:35 UTC
Honestly I am a big fan of this. You're able to help the new-bro's progress out of Frigates and into Dessies/Cruisers quicker which will help retention. Additionally, you're limiting it enough that it will have little impact on the time required to progress through BC/BS/Caps while encouraging people to go out into the belts and rat/mine/do excursions once a day, thus granting PVPers more targets to shoot at.

Good job.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#1531 - 2016-04-13 21:40:42 UTC
Xe'Dola'Kahn wrote:

Rise:

It's unallocated points for shooting a frigate in an asteroid belt. And it made it to SiSi already Ugh

Can I get 50 million for completing a level 4 then?

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Aydan Talvanen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1532 - 2016-04-13 21:46:09 UTC
Eonan Dmalum wrote:
Honestly I am a big fan of this. You're able to help the new-bro's progress out of Frigates and into Dessies/Cruisers quicker which will help retention. Additionally, you're limiting it enough that it will have little impact on the time required to progress through BC/BS/Caps while encouraging people to go out into the belts and rat/mine/do excursions once a day, thus granting PVPers more targets to shoot at.

Good job.

Retention, retention, retention. Will I get 100k for completing a level 4 mission too? Or 0.1 per m3 of ore mined?
It will help with the retention, right?

You guys are just like a broken record.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1533 - 2016-04-13 21:51:34 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Small sidenote on activities: many of you mentioned PVP, remember that this is always problematic because the most effective way to PVP for rewards is just kill your own alt, which isn't very fun or interesting.

And shooting a red not cross is?

That really should tell you something about the quality of this idea. Why is a mechanic intended to promote player interaction inherently tied to an activity which doesn't involve other players?

You know what DID promote player interaction? Watchlist.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

McBorsk
Multispace Technologies Inc
#1534 - 2016-04-13 22:02:00 UTC
Have a little respect for your creation, CCP.
Imigo Montoya
BreadFleet
Triglavian Outlaws and Sobornost Troika
#1535 - 2016-04-13 22:08:26 UTC
Recently I unsubbed for a while because I was finding myself not really doing much in the game any more. There wasn't a lot of activity going on and I had other things to do so I stopped my subscription. Then this war happened, and I resubbed all three accounts.

Wars make for content. Wars entice me to log in and do stuff. Daily rewards make me want to vomit.

I used to work on designing daily reward systems for Facebook games and one of the key principles I learned was that you need to pick the right tool for the job. If you want to have a system that you intend to boost retention (the usual purpose of a daily reward system), then you need to make sure that system is engaging players with the core appeal of the game. It could very easily be that you're creating rewards that attract people who aren't interested in your core game, and that discourage people who are interested in your core game.

One of the games I worked on was Jane Austen's Rogues and Romance (later rebranded as Jane Austen Unbound). It was a hidden object game and had a decidedly casual audience, but we found that the main appeal was the manor customisation aspect. Our players loved decorating their doll's house. When we made our daily rewards system, this understanding drove our design. We ensured that what players got from daily rewards was something that they wanted to get, but more importantly we made sure that getting the daily reward wasn't a chore - simply logging in and clicking the "OK" button on the daily rewards screen was enough (low friction for the casual audience).

EVE Online's core appeal is not shooting NPCs, it is being a part of a player-driven emergent sandbox where everything that happens is unscripted and happens because some player made it happen. That core is a human conflict simulator which is wrapped in a player-driven economy based on the construction and destruction of spaceships, with a wide variety of activities which players can engage in to participate in that economy. Harvesting, trading, shipping, exploring, and fighting are all ways that players can have meaningful interactions in the virtual world. If you're going to have daily rewards, don't force people to do something that doesn't appeal to them.

This feature as it stands is attractive to new players, but the new players that it is particularly attractive to aren't necessarily the kinds of players who would appreciate the harsh beauty of EVE Online's core. It's more of an instant gratification mechanic and anybody who wants and expects instant gratification in EVE is going to find that when they start interacting with other players who DGAF about their expectations they're going to have an unpleasant experience. CCP should be setting the right expectations, not the wrong ones.

When did HTFU become "thanks for logging in, have a cookie"?
Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#1536 - 2016-04-13 22:18:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Moac Tor
This feature would be much better if it worked like this:

1. You can build up to 3 hours worth of enhanced training which accrues over 7 days.

2. Enhanced training boosts your training by 20k SP per hour for a maximum of 60k SP per week.

3. The only requirement to take advantage of the enhanced training is to be logged onto eve.

The above would reward players for logging on for at least 3 hours a week which is sustainable for most casual players, and would also perhaps lead to the desired increase in activity as once your online you get talking with friends etc in the chat channels.

The most important thing is that it would not dictate to the player that they must partake in some mindless task.

(Edit - the excellent post above would backup this type system which is a coincidence as it was posted whilst I was in the middle of typing out this suggestion)
Estilad Grenrum
Be Nice Inc.
Prismatic Legion
#1537 - 2016-04-13 22:20:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Estilad Grenrum
First time posting on the forum since this is the first time I've seen something I felt strongly enough about to write out a response. Dalies are horrible. There's no denying it, they are a chore that makes you feel like logging in every day is something you are almost forced to do if you want to keep up. A new player may see it as "oh boy I can get free sp every day" but anyone with a reasonable amount of sp will see it as a daily grind they have to do with each of their characters. Feeling forced to start up a game every day, especially many times with each alt, is a way to get burned out quickly, and the fact that if you don't you miss out on something that the only other real way to earn it is to just wait is going to lead to a lot of people getting disinterested with the game. It's one thing to offer the opportunity to new players for them to earn sp for the first month or something, but making old players feel like they need to go login 6 times like I do to get the full benefit every day or get left behind is just going to lead to people becoming disinterested. It wouldnt even be that bad if it was say 2k sp each day since that would still give you the option of cutting an hour off training time but wouldn't be too much of a big deal to miss, but with 10k that's enough that you feel obligated to get it, if not for the free sp then for the extractor you can sell every month or two with this sp. And that brings me to another point, the fact that skill extractors/injectors were supposed to represent skills that people had put time into training, like sp has always been, but with this change they will also represent grinding at a painfully slow rate that you can't afford to miss out on. This change seems like it will just lead to people getting frustrated, even the new players since they will feel forced to login, not understanding how much or little 10k sp is worth, just seeing it as free skills and will just lead to burnout.

I want to offer a change at least since my criticism was kind of open ended. Logging into eve to get like 5k skill points per account per day I'd be ok with as a daily. But making some system where you need to hunt down a rat on each of your characters every day just seems stupid and like the type of painfully boring repetitive activity that originally drove me from other games to eve.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1538 - 2016-04-13 22:53:25 UTC
Moac Tor wrote:

1. You can build up to 3 hours worth of enhanced training which accrues over 7 days.

2. Enhanced training boosts your training by 20k SP per hour for a maximum of 60k SP per week.

3. The only requirement to take advantage of the enhanced training is to be logged onto eve.

The above would reward players for logging on for at least 3 hours a week which is sustainable for most casual players, and would also perhaps lead to the desired increase in activity as once your online you get talking with friends etc in the chat channels.

The most important thing is that it would not dictate to the player that they must partake in some mindless task.

Over 2,000 players at a time in Jita adding nothing but spam and scam to the game - Get to train for free?
Seriously, you have got to be kidding.

As for mindless tasks - Killing things, all sort of things is what Eve is about. It is because killing some things is so totally unrewarding (in either reward or challenge or both), we have thousands of players logged in who never undock.

I think the best way to make opportunities like this worth while, they should be restricted to low and nulsec space. Everyone has relatively easy access to these parts of space and it adds a risk vs reward concept to it.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

K'racker
DHCOx
#1539 - 2016-04-13 23:00:45 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Last time I checked, my time is completely independant from CCP changes.

That's because this change hasn't gone through yet.

Quote:
I still live 24 hours each day. What CCP is giving you is SP.
…and those SP are accumulated over time. In one day, you get 24h worth of them at the moment. With this idea, non-conformance means you only get 18–20h of them as punishment.

Quote:
You will still get your 24 hours of training
No. You still train 24 hours per day. But those 24 hours will only be worth 18–20 — that's all you get in a day unless you comply. Daily.

If you want to get the full 24h, you have to do what CCP wants you to do, when they want you to do it, rather than what you'd actually want to do when you want to do it.

i think you've got it backwards ; choosing to do this activity makes a 24 hr. day worth 28 - 30 hrs. does choosing not to use a skill injector make your 24 hr. day worth ~ negative 14 days ?
Moac Tor
Cyber Core
Immediate Destruction
#1540 - 2016-04-13 23:03:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Moac Tor
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Moac Tor wrote:

Over 2,000 players at a time in Jita adding nothing but spam and scam to the game - Get to train for free?
Seriously, you have got to be kidding.

A high PC count is what CCP is trying to achieve with this proposal. You cannot then complain that the proposal means too many players are logging on in Jita.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
As for mindless tasks - Killing things, all sort of things is what Eve is about.

No it is not. The point is you let the players decide what they want to do. If they want to scam in Jita then why should be forced to kill rats.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
I think the best way to make opportunities like this worth while, they should be restricted to low and nulsec space. Everyone has relatively easy access to these parts of space and it adds a risk vs reward concept to it.

The best thing would be to simply scrap the idea altogether, but CCP want a higher PC.