These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Blastos

First post
Author
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2012-01-13 05:13:20 UTC
then for the sake of everything not = 0, we'll make the angular .01

results:

Talos = 0.44
Zealot = 0.0125

Fact is it matters very little until you apply extremely high angular's to it. the talos will have the better tracking nine times out of ten
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#102 - 2012-01-13 05:13:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Cyzlaki wrote:
Aamrr wrote:
Cyzlaki wrote:
Zealot: 0/0.09 x 125/1000 = 0.011

Talos: 0/0.105 x 400/1000 = 0.042

Erm...How does zero divided and multiplied by anything manage to not be zero?

If you want to do it that way.
Talos = 0.4
Zealot = 0.125

Same result.
Eh, no, because the first factor (0 / whatever) is then multiplied with the second, which still yields 0.

Come on. Don't flake out of over something as simple as this. Straight

Just accept it: the Zealot has better tracking due to that lower sigres, but the Talos has other strengths in its favour.
Quote:
then for the sake of everything not = 0, we'll make the angular .01
Ok.

Zealot: 0.01/0.09 × 125/1000 = 0.013
Talos: 0.01/0.105 × 400/1000 = 0.038

Now, remember — you want to be as close to 0 as possible for the whole equation to come out as 100%. Lower is better.
0.013 < 0.038 by a factor of (drumroll) 2.7.
Aamrr
#103 - 2012-01-13 05:15:12 UTC
Cyzlaki was a lot more convincing before he tried to do math.
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#104 - 2012-01-13 05:15:46 UTC
So in the end (apologies for the 0 borking the math) you see that saying the Zealot tracks a non-existent ship at 1.0 angular velocity better than a Talos is irrelevant and Tippia was lying.

Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#105 - 2012-01-13 05:16:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyzlaki
I think we can move on now. Blame Tippia for creating the dispute with his ****** math and irrelevant opinions. We got there in the end.

So the Talos does indeed track better than a Zealot, does over twice the DPS, similar speeds, has a drone bay, more EHP and kills most anything before it takes a noticable amount of damage.
Zachis
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#106 - 2012-01-13 05:18:58 UTC
And, chance to hit = (0.5 ^ result), which means the larger number is actually worse when it comes to hitting your target.

I'm assuming we're using chance to hit and tracking interchangeably now since we're introducing more variables to the equation.
Biced
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#107 - 2012-01-13 05:24:20 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
So in the end (apologies for the 0 borking the math) you see that saying the Zealot tracks a non-existent ship at 1.0 angular velocity better than a Talos is irrelevant and Tippia was lying.

comparing armor hacs to shield tier3 bc is kinda pointelss really...
did you really have to crunch all them numbers for 3 pages to get to that conclusion?

anyways,
can you do a tornado talos comparison for me please?

cause i cant use large t2 AC/Blasters yet, i am getting both anyway just want to see which one should i get first.
Teras Lakkos
SuperMassive Torque
#108 - 2012-01-13 05:27:42 UTC
Woo, just got done reading all the posts in this thread. Real entertainment here, solid gold. Not sure if tons of stupidity or epic coordinated trolling....

Hooked.

O, and while the talos certainly has good tracking (for BS sized guns), Cyzlaki's arguments are all false regarding zealot vs talos tracking.

Now that I think about it this must be a troll after seeing Cyzlaki's math skills. Roll 9/10?
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#109 - 2012-01-13 05:31:34 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
I think we can move on now. Blame Tippia for creating the dispute with his ****** math and irrelevant opinions. We got there in the end.

So the Talos does indeed track better than a Zealot, does over twice the DPS, similar speeds, has a drone bay, more EHP and kills most anything before it takes a noticable amount of damage.

The only thing we learned is you can't do math... twice.

And Tippia's math is correct. Mathematically, (and presumably in game) the Zealot has better tracking. The hard part is using in game numbers... as far as I know, the game does not display your angular velocity in real time... or at all.

What it doesn't have is better damage projection. Even a 50% hit of the Talos will outdo a 100% hit of the Zealot.

Anyway, in the end its up to fitting and skills (both EVE and player).
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#110 - 2012-01-13 05:32:17 UTC
Why are we still focusing on ~numbers~ when we should be talking about ~ships and modules~?

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Dersk
Perkone
Caldari State
#111 - 2012-01-13 05:33:04 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
So the Talos does indeed track better than a Zealot.

You remind me of a classic comedian. I think his names was Costello
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#112 - 2012-01-13 05:41:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Cyzlaki wrote:
The point you keep missing is that, given the same values for the ship variables, the comparison between the turrets will look exactly the same, and will always come out with the same difference.

The one exception is when angular_v is 0, at which point all turrets get a perfect tracking and a 100% hit chance (if the target is within optimal). This becomes our trivial (and information-free) case.

We can run through your scenario with any non-zero angular_v and sigrad you like — since the ship is constant, we might as well replace all its variables with 1:s because they are also constant. They don't matter. They don't affect the final result.

The target has an angular_v of v; a sigrad of r.
Turret 1 has a tracking of t₁ and a sigres of s₁; turret 2 has a tracking of t₂ and a sigres of s₂.
The tracking formula for #1 is (v/t₁ × s₁/r). The tracking formula for #2 is (v/t₂ × s₂/r)

We want to compare the two turrets — we divide one with the other to get an effectiveness ratio: (v/t₁ × s₁/r) / (v/t₂ × s₂/r)

Oh dear… the same variables occur in the same position in both the dividend and the divisor — those will cancel each other out (and their values won't matter in the end):
(1/t₁ × s₁) / (1/t₂ × s₂) = t₂s₁ / t₁s₂.

Do you see where the 1:s in our “non-existent ship” comes from? They come from it being the same ship being flown against both turrets, so when we compare the turrets, the factors derived from the ship cancel each other out and just become a bunch of 1:s — the original numbers for the ship don't matter. All that matters is the tracking and sigres values of the turret. When creating an “effective tracking” number that we can use across all sizes of turrets to compare them against each other, we just have to look at those two values. In the hit formula, we want the quotient e/t to be as small as possible. If we want to follow a “bigger is better” logic, we have to invert it and thus we get tracking/sigres as our number to be compared.

Zealot: 0.09 rad/s / 125 m = 0.00072 rad/s·m.
Talos: 0.105 rad/s / 400 m = 0.00026 rad/s·m.

Liang Nuren wrote:
Why are we still focusing on ~numbers~ when we should be talking about ~ships and modules~?

Because if we want to understand the benefits of them, it's handy to actually understand why those benefits exists.
Jesus Rambo
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#113 - 2012-01-13 05:42:15 UTC
Posting in a Tippia - Liang warthread.

10/10 would read again
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2012-01-13 05:43:17 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
Cyzlaki wrote:

The only thing we learned is you can't do math... twice.

And Tippia's math is correct. Mathematically, (and presumably in game) the Zealot has better tracking. The hard part is using in game numbers... as far as I know, the game does not display your angular velocity in real time... or at all.

What it doesn't have is better damage projection. Even a 50% hit of the Talos will outdo a 100% hit of the Zealot.

Anyway, in the end its up to fitting and skills (both EVE and player).

It's incorrect so far as comparing a Zealot hitting nothing that exists in game at a 1.0 angular.

biced wrote:

comparing armor hacs to shield tier3 bc is kinda pointelss really...
did you really have to crunch all them numbers for 3 pages to get to that conclusion?

anyways,
can you do a tornado talos comparison for me please?

cause i cant use large t2 AC/Blasters yet, i am getting both anyway just want to see which one should i get first.

I had arrive3d at that conclusion on page 1. It was only one idiot saying otherwise. Anyways as for your Tornado tracking. .062 vs .038 buddy. Although the Talos outdamages it (and everything else) by a fair margin and at similar ranges.
Liam Mirren
#115 - 2012-01-13 05:43:58 UTC
EFT doesn't take piloting into account (both bad as good), good pilots will kill bad ones even when flying setups that shouldn't work. The Talos is indeed surprisingly decent if flown right but my personal love boat is a nano Naga with 45k EHP. While it has obvious flaws it's fun to make it work anyway. On paper it's very limited in use, in practise you can make it work if you're aware of both your as the opponent's pros and cons.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#116 - 2012-01-13 05:44:10 UTC
Jesus Rambo wrote:
Posting in a Tippia - Liang warthread.

10/10 would read again
Would it get a higher number if we were warring against each other?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#117 - 2012-01-13 05:45:55 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
It's incorrect so far as comparing a Zealot hitting nothing that exists in game at a 1.0 angular.
See above why it doesn't matter whether it exists or not — the result is the same regardless of the ship stats and (non-zero) angular velocity.
It is always correct.
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2012-01-13 05:46:23 UTC
Liam Mirren wrote:
EFT doesn't take piloting into account (both bad as good), good pilots will kill bad ones even when flying setups that shouldn't work. The Talos is indeed surprisingly decent if flown right but my personal love boat is a nano Naga with 45k EHP. While it has obvious flaws it's fun to make it work anyway. On paper it's very limited in use, in practise you can make it work if you're aware of both your as the opponent's pros and cons.

Again, the Talos sports superior range, damage and tracking to the Naga.
Cyzlaki
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#119 - 2012-01-13 05:47:30 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Cyzlaki wrote:
See above why it doesn't matter whether it exists or not — the result is the same regardless of the ship stats and (non-zero) angular velocity.
It is always correct.

As you will see if you consult my results with a non-zero angular, the Talos has better results when using real-game numbers and not arbitrary ones.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#120 - 2012-01-13 05:49:01 UTC
Cyzlaki wrote:
Liam Mirren wrote:

Again, the Talos sports superior range, damage and tracking to the Naga.

And DRONES. You can't emphasize that enough really.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.