These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

NPC Pirate Titans in Citadel Update

First post
Author
Pryce Caesar
Cloak and Daggers
Initiative Mercenaries
#1 - 2016-04-01 00:22:48 UTC
https://youtu.be/qw0OhRGeDgA?t=48m50s

Well, ladies and gentlemen. It seems CCP is really stepping things up with the PVE updates to come with the Citadel expansion, and will now include Capital AND TITAN Pirate NPCs.

Let the gates of Hell open. Twisted
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#2 - 2016-04-01 05:08:33 UTC
Yeah I saw that show today and while the topic is out of my league, not being a wormholer nor a nullsec ratter, even I was making noise over the epicness of it all.

What they are doing in wormholes is going to be heinous. From the show I got this:

Drifters will be the "boss" in wormhole combat sites.
If you don't tackle it, it will warp off.
If you don't find it and kill it, it will call in friends.
Your life in the wormhole will become complicated as the Drifters start hunting you.
Yes the Drifters will hunt you if you don't kill them.

That's some badass sh!t right there.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Pryce Caesar
Cloak and Daggers
Initiative Mercenaries
#3 - 2016-04-01 05:14:34 UTC
They are testing out the new Drifter AI. Given the fact that we're now getting Pirate Faction Capital Ships (will they have BP or not is another question I want answered), I wonder if the Drifters are the test bed for moving the same AI into the wider NPC environment. IIRC, they were discussing introducing travelling convoys of NPC from various factions into the game, and other stuff associated with PVE.

Imagine your Citadel suddenly being assailed by a fleet of NPCs. I do not know if they would do it, but that would be incredible in its own right.
Warmonger Simon
Trinity Alpha Zero
#4 - 2016-04-01 08:10:26 UTC
People might just start farming the drifter burner when he calls his friends now depends on how hard it'll be i guess but people will find a way to abuse any system.
Jade Blackwind
#5 - 2016-04-01 09:24:02 UTC
Warmonger Simon wrote:
People might just start farming the drifter burner when he calls his friends now depends on how hard it'll be i guess but people will find a way to abuse any system.
Probably this, but it's very interesting never the less.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2016-04-01 09:29:47 UTC
Warmonger Simon wrote:

That particular one is easy to address though, just make sure reinforcements don't have anything on loot tables and don't award anything.

On the other hand, who said that another opportunity for risk/reward is bad, especially if you don't control when and where they will next appear, especially in an environment such as wormholes.
Uppsy Daisy
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2016-04-01 10:30:41 UTC
If this new 'Burner Drifter' kills as many ships as the Burners did while people were learning how to kill them, we are going to have a capital-ship massacre on our hands.

I like it.
Pleasure Hub Node-514
Pleasure Hub Hotline
#8 - 2016-04-01 10:35:30 UTC
Uppsy Daisy wrote:
If this new 'Burner Drifter' kills as many ships as the Burners did while people were learning how to kill them, we are going to have a capital-ship massacre on our hands.

I like it.

I wonder if you can bait them into killing other player ships near you.

'One night hauler' The tell all story of a pleasure bot in Jita 4-4

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#9 - 2016-04-01 12:47:42 UTC
Pleasure Hub Node-514 wrote:
Uppsy Daisy wrote:

I like it.

Drifter guard dogs ... lol
Jenn aSide
Shinigami Miners
Already Replaced.
#10 - 2016-04-01 13:08:17 UTC
Hmm, additions and improvements to PVE that doesn't benefit high sec in any way? I can think of at least 2 posters who will be along shortly to tell us how unfair that is and how it shows CCP doesn't care about PVE players...
CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2016-04-01 13:14:05 UTC
Pryce Caesar wrote:
Given the fact that we're now getting Pirate Faction Capital Ships

With the caveat that I'm not up to date on all the announced (let alone unannounced) plans from game design, I do want to point out that the presence of NPCs flying a particular hull does not necessarily imply that we are able to make that available for players to fly without substantial additional development effort.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#12 - 2016-04-01 13:31:40 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Hmm, additions and improvements to PVE that doesn't benefit high sec in any way? I can think of at least 2 posters who will be along shortly to tell us how unfair that is and how it shows CCP doesn't care about PVE players...

Assuming that they didn't unsub and delete their install the instant that they heard.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#13 - 2016-04-01 13:37:01 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Yeah I saw that show today and while the topic is out of my league, not being a wormholer nor a nullsec ratter, even I was making noise over the epicness of it all.

What they are doing in wormholes is going to be heinous. From the show I got this:

Drifters will be the "boss" in wormhole combat sites.
If you don't tackle it, it will warp off.
If you don't find it and kill it, it will call in friends.
Your life in the wormhole will become complicated as the Drifters start hunting you.
Yes the Drifters will hunt you if you don't kill them.

That's some badass sh!t right there.

Yes, it sounds cool. Also sounds more... sensitive*... than those Driter Incursions which CCP has removed after they refused to work as intended.

*sensitive as in "prone to break down or don't work".
Herzog Wolfhammer
#14 - 2016-04-01 16:24:36 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Uppsy Daisy wrote:

I like it.

7 Years ago there was a player named arcdragon who wrote one of the first wormhole guides. He once stated that if you started, but cancelled a warp to a wormhole site with a dred when you knew that someone else in the system was headed for it, you would have a boosted sleeper spawn way beyond whoever else coming into the site was using.

Exactly what kind of probe/D-scan fu it takes to manage that was not clear.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#15 - 2016-04-01 16:28:26 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Uppsy Daisy wrote:

I like it.

7 Years ago there was a player named arcdragon who wrote one of the first wormhole guides. He once stated that if you started, but cancelled a warp to a wormhole site with a dred when you knew that someone else in the system was headed for it, you would have a boosted sleeper spawn way beyond whoever else coming into the site was using.

Exactly what kind of probe/D-scan fu it takes to manage that was not clear.

hahaha thats fantastic,
i would imagine just good scouting and guesswork.
Galaxxis
Unicorn Rampage
#16 - 2016-04-01 16:30:09 UTC
We need Drifter titans that will doomsday your citadel!
Herzog Wolfhammer
#17 - 2016-04-01 17:02:07 UTC
Galaxxis wrote:
We need Drifter titans that will doomsday your citadel!

I think that was alluded to of sorts. That is, the conversation seemed to be leaning in the direction that assets could get attacked, and I started to anticipate that Fozzie would say something along those lines, but that didn't happen. So whether or not assets would be attacked by Drifters is not clear, or they are being silent about that.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#18 - 2016-04-01 19:15:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Jenn aSide wrote:
A perfect example of what my sainted mother used to tell me.

"If you have nothing good to say, post it on the EVE GD forum."

Mr Epeen Cool
CynoNet Two
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2016-04-01 19:20:18 UTC
CCP Darwin wrote:
Pryce Caesar wrote:
Given the fact that we're now getting Pirate Faction Capital Ships

With the caveat that I'm not up to date on all the announced (let alone unannounced) plans from game design, I do want to point out that the presence of NPCs flying a particular hull does not necessarily imply that we are able to make that available for players to fly without substantial additional development effort.

Will the skin be available to players?
Pryce Caesar
Cloak and Daggers
Initiative Mercenaries
#20 - 2016-04-01 19:54:11 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

I wouldn't know who these posters are, but Capitals being exclusive to Null-Sec (I don't know if they'd show up in Low-Sec) makes sense, given that Capitals are normally not allowed in High-Sec for Capsuleers.

Moreover, this is also a long-awaited upgrade to the PVE aspect of EVE, even if they are rarer than Commanders.

It feels nice to talk about news like this, rather than just following the war.
12Next page