These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE and the middle ages

Author
Tian Toralen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-03-28 12:15:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Tian Toralen
There are some little things in EVE that function like they should function for a medieval MMORPG, not a space game with "advanced technology".

Just a few:

- Bookmarks. The scout of the fleet has to write the coordinates on a piece of paper, then have the piece of paper delivered personally to the FC, so the FC can warp the fleet to those coordinates. This also happened in the middle ages.

- Logistics. People are shouting left and right "I'm wounded, help!", they themselves can see how much they are wounded, but cannot say it using the broadcast system. The ship computer shows them how much shield or armor they have left, but somehow the broadcast system can't see this, and can only shout "help, I'm wounded, I don't even know what ship I am in". Again, like in the middle ages.

- Station windows... How hard is it to have a button saying "look outside", then look outside, like undocking, but to a fixed point outside the station, to see outside.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#2 - 2016-03-28 14:06:00 UTC
- Fleet bookmarks would be nice.

- Watchlist and actually locking up the broadcaster will tell you this. As a logi pilot myself, i dont think its necessary for the broadcast window to tell me hp. Heaven forbid it might encourage people to broadcast multiple times thinking they are being useful by updating me with their hp.

- Citadels will do this. Though from my understanding it wont be optional.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Tian Toralen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2016-03-28 14:27:47 UTC
Well, I don't want to lock up a frigate, and I can't just lock and check everyone in 10% tidi. There could be 10 bradcasts (at least), and some are at half armor, and some are in structure, just checking out everyone does not work.

Other thing: EVE Map. Ok, the in-game "reality" of the EVE Universe is messy. Why would a map-maker keep the real position of the stars when making a map? It's not like we use a ruler to measure distances and convert them to "real" distances using a scale. A map maker would create something like Dotlan.

And on this Dotlan like map system players would be able to place intel messages. We can have this as a tool outside the game, using the chat channels in-game. It's like having to draw the map on paper and manually write intel notes on it.

Iain Cariaba
#4 - 2016-03-28 16:19:54 UTC
Tian Toralen wrote:
Well, I don't want to lock up a frigate, and I can't just lock and check everyone in 10% tidi. There could be 10 bradcasts (at least), and some are at half armor, and some are in structure, just checking out everyone does not work.

As logi, it's your job to rep them when they broadcast. Half armor or half structure, the next round of volleys that hit them might just do them in. Knowing how much HP they have when they broadcast won't matter in the slightest. In fact, beyond Daichi's point of leading people to spam broadcasts more than they currently do, it may also lead logi into missing repping someone being primaried by most of the enemy fleet because they didn't meet some quota for damage.
Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#5 - 2016-03-28 16:21:30 UTC
Tian Toralen wrote:
Why would a map-maker keep the real position of the stars when making a map?
Capital jump drives have maximum distance measured in light-years, so that's a good reason to use real position.
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
VOID Intergalactic Forces
#6 - 2016-03-28 16:54:40 UTC
auto logistics is a no, 1 you have to set a limit when the computer will broadcast and people would have that set at 99% so the second they get hit you have broadcast flooding your list and have no idea who needs it. also automation is stupid and lazy as people try to push more and more for automatic ways to do things because they don't want to do it or don't want to think about adding that into the equation.

station windows is a no because the station and space are equalivent to 2 separate instances, a window would mean combining those 2 instances so the inside of the station would still be like you were flying in space plus the added detail of a new room added in station for everyone docked. I suspect due to the increase details and more tracking in space some where like jita would always be in extreme tidi.

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith