These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Changing NPC taxes

First post
Author
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1321 - 2016-03-21 16:44:04 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
@Lucas, maybe I'm just misreading your first sentence or perhaps you've dropped a comma, but your first sentence seems to be confused. Because the ISK is being concentrated in the hands of one player, it's not really 'real'? I'm probably not understanding you correctly.
I'm saying that it being on a single player makes less impact on the rest of us as players than if it were to be more distributed. One player with trillions of isk is likely to have ma lot of it as either long term investments or idle cash. In either case it won't be going towards anything that makes an impact on the rest of the playerbase.

Rob Kaichin wrote:
As for IWI and the like, I disapprove of those too :P. I will say that they're an example of player structures developed by players for players, where as this would/will be an example of player structures developed for players by CCP. IWI 'earned' their position, as it were, whereas our future despot is 'given' theirs.
But they would still have to build the citadel bring the market, protect it and fight off competition. It's not going to be a button in space and the first person to hit it just gets granted trillions of isk. In addition, unlike IWI, there will be in game methods of attacking it which will undoubtedly be used by those that want a slice of the pie.

I don't know why you would consider putting together a shoddy website is earning it any more than putting together a citadel and attracting a thriving market.

Rob Kaichin wrote:
@Teckos and Lucas, I'll write the "How to create a monopoly" post which is the post to Teckos I postponed.
I look forward to seeing you as the overlord of the citadel empire when they roll out.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#1322 - 2016-03-21 17:05:47 UTC
I think this thread has run its course.

Clearly the very vocal cheerleaders for the null blocs have declared all things Citadel to be good and anyone arguing against it or from a perspective other than their own to be losers of no merit.

The real problem is a fundamental difference of perspective.

This is the first set of changes that directly impact the way I want to play. Call this quid pro quo for the howls or rage from all the null bloc types over the jump range nerfs and Fozziesov (which had little or no effect on players like me), if you will.

What I do is shoot folks, encourage other folks to shoot folks and provide help and support to folks who want to learn to shoot folks. Classic small (and occasionally not so small) gang PVP.

I've been playing for almost three years, so no salty veteran here. I've spent most of that time in null, and most of that in NPC null.

Why? So I could play the way I wanted to. NPC stations are the enabler for that. Their ability to support industry, local markets, jump clone facilities - that is how they enable casuals like me to be long term residents in null, providing content to the neighborhood by shooting at everybody who comes along.

NPC stations with affordable services and jump clone facilities are the enabler for the roams we run almost every day (with the occasional bigger public one thrown in). We encourage newbies to spend some time out in null, try mining, exploration, whatever. This will increase the cost of those activities in an already marginal area of space from an economic perspective and will be a bigger deterrent to encouraging new players to try PVP and nullsec and maybe even eventually join a big alliance.

All this e-peening over percentage points of station tax or the finer historical points of early 20th century robber barons - kind of missing the point. The net effect of these changes is a big nerf-hammer on a wide range of play-styles in order to make citadels look better - something that just happens to nerf everybody except the big null bloc folks in a fairly meaningful way.

Most players I have personally known in EVE don't play any more.

Most current players I know are no longer very active.

Quite a few still hanging on (including a couple ten year plus vets) have already decided to let their subs run out as nerfing the ability to operate out of NPC stations (and NPC space) is simply not worth the aggro.

CCP is taking a cudgel to a play style enjoyed by many.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1323 - 2016-03-21 17:50:19 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
Clearly the very vocal cheerleaders for the null blocs have declared all things Citadel to be good and anyone arguing against it or from a perspective other than their own to be losers of no merit.
This sentence alone voids your wall of text, so there's no real point in reading further. If you can't even keep an objective view this far, there's no change you'll suddenly be able to later.

If you want, feel free to try again.

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1324 - 2016-03-21 18:53:11 UTC
Deck wrote:
[...]

This is the first set of changes that directly impact the way I want to play. Call this quid pro quo for the howls or rage from all the null bloc types over the jump range nerfs and Fozziesov (which had little or no effect on players like me), if you will.

What I do is shoot folks, encourage other folks to shoot folks and provide help and support to folks who want to learn to shoot folks. Classic small (and occasionally not so small) gang PVP.

I've been playing for almost three years, so no salty veteran here. I've spent most of that time in null, and most of that in NPC null.

Why? So I could play the way I wanted to. NPC stations are the enabler for that. Their ability to support industry, local markets, jump clone facilities - that is how they enable casuals like me to be long term residents in null, providing content to the neighborhood by shooting at everybody who comes along.

NPC stations with affordable services and jump clone facilities are the enabler for the roams we run almost every day (with the occasional bigger public one thrown in). We encourage newbies to spend some time out in null, try mining, exploration, whatever. This will increase the cost of those activities in an already marginal area of space from an economic perspective and will be a bigger deterrent to encouraging new players to try PVP and nullsec and maybe even eventually join a big alliance.

All this e-peening over percentage points of station tax or the finer historical points of early 20th century robber barons - kind of missing the point. The net effect of these changes is a big nerf-hammer on a wide range of play-styles in order to make citadels look better - something that just happens to nerf everybody except the big null bloc folks in a fairly meaningful way.

Quite a few still hanging on (including a couple ten year plus vets) have already decided to let their subs run out as nerfing the ability to operate out of NPC stations (and NPC space) is simply not worth the aggro.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1325 - 2016-03-21 19:04:53 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:

So higher tax is the straws that breaks the camel's back?

Taxes and fees on 100 bill going from 2.5 bill to 8.5 bill will really prevent you from doing what you were doing?
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1326 - 2016-03-21 19:05:20 UTC
Posting it without that sentence doesn't make it more readable, when the guy wrote it, it was still written with furious "grr blobs" fingers. When he comes back with a level head and an objective viewpoint I'll consider it, until then it's written off. From the buzzwords that pop out of it, it will just be more doom and gloom about how apocalyptic it is to make the game more dynamic anyway.

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1327 - 2016-03-21 19:34:05 UTC
It was a joke, albeit very unfunny.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1328 - 2016-03-21 19:40:04 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Talk about bringing people out of the woodwork!

@Marcus, good point. Maybe you're ignoring insurance, but that's not that important.

@Lucas, maybe I'm just misreading your first sentence or perhaps you've dropped a comma, but your first sentence seems to be confused. Because the ISK is being concentrated in the hands of one player, it's not really 'real'? I'm probably not understanding you correctly.

As for IWI and the like, I disapprove of those too :P. I will say that they're an example of player structures developed by players for players, where as this would/will be an example of player structures developed for players by CCP. IWI 'earned' their position, as it were, whereas our future despot is 'given' theirs.

@Teckos, You're the one who initially identified it as a monopoly. If it isn't, that isn't my fault...

@Teckos and Lucas, I'll write the "How to create a monopoly" post which is the post to Teckos I postponed.

In my first post referencing Standard I did not say Standard was a monopoly. That term has been used with regards to Standard and it is often presented as the quintessential monopoly, but when one looks at the facts it isn't unless one wants to use some strange definition of a monopoly.

As for how to create a monopoly you need force. Coercion. That is the only way to do it.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1329 - 2016-03-21 19:50:03 UTC
Quote:
Also, his company was extremely innovative, unlike your typical monopoly,

(In the edited post)
Quote:
Let me clear: monopolies, in general, are a PITA to maintain. And even then market dominance may not be enough. Read up on Standard Oil,

I'm not going to go full tinfoil and say you did say it, (though I recall...) but you did imply it pretty blatantly.

Also, "need force", natural monopolies are still monopolies, right?
Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#1330 - 2016-03-21 20:52:38 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
This sentence alone voids your wall of text, so there's no real point in reading further. If you can't even keep an objective view this far, there's no change you'll suddenly be able to later.

If you want, feel free to try again.

I don't need to. You just made my point for me, quite succinctly.

Clearly, if anyone disagrees with you or argues from a different perspective "there's no real point in reading further."

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1331 - 2016-03-21 21:19:42 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Quote:
Also, his company was extremely innovative, unlike your typical monopoly,

(In the edited post)
Quote:
Let me clear: monopolies, in general, are a PITA to maintain. And even then market dominance may not be enough. Read up on Standard Oil,

I'm not going to go full tinfoil and say you did say it, (though I recall...) but you did imply it pretty blatantly.

Also, "need force", natural monopolies are still monopolies, right?

As for natural monopolies, no a natural monopoly may not be a monopoly. Look at utilities which usually are considered natural monopolies and yet there are still laws that grant them monopoly status and also a heavy amount of regulation to keep them from exploiting their monopoly position to earn super-normal profits.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1332 - 2016-03-21 21:45:08 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
I don't need to. You just made my point for me, quite succinctly.

Clearly, if anyone disagrees with you or argues from a different perspective "there's no real point in reading further."
Lol? This a joke? You literally came in basically accusing anyone that disagree with your point of view of being "cheerleaders for the null blocs". Clearly you've got this "us vs them" thing in your head, so it stands to reason that your posts will be the same. Since I know for a fact hat my point of view has nothing to do with the null groups and I care more about objective opinion than blatant bias, there's little point getting involved in a discussion with someone like yourself.

If you want to take that as making your point, go right ahead, you're still completely wrong.

Ayzn Betokhn
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#1333 - 2016-03-22 17:09:44 UTC
It is encouraging to see that the potential jump clone charges were reduced, but even the new charges every time a jump clone are used are still a negative factor for player quality of life. Expansions are supposed to be full of new opportunities, not an immediate additional burden for all. CCP needs to reverse the plan to charge for using jump clones.

The higher taxes are also an immediate burden for all; and imposing this cost on everyone before the first citadel can even be built, much less allowing time to pass to see which conspiracy theory of which coalition or cartel will dominate the market (or even create a market) demonstrate itself; is just an immediate downside to the upcoming Taxation Expansion.

The plans for high sec citadels to potentially replace npc stations needs to go back to the drawing board. What citadel owners do and earn in null sec space is not the issue. But converting an isk sink for all in the high sec markets to a bigger sink to funnel it into an isk faucet for a smaller group of citadel owners is a huge game design change. Even if Chribba was going to own all the citadels this would be a bad idea. For years there has been talk of ring mining to make moon goo less of a top down income source; the citadels as a high sec market replacement just reinforce the top down income mechanisms.

The npc stations are a level playing field for all traders, sellers, and buyers. Certainly one can not say that a trader can’t get rich in the current environment; and the current system lets new traders come along to make their mark and compete. The proposed citadel plans would give the citadel owners, once established, too much economic power. Look at one disgruntled rich gambling site owner has done to an entire alliance (Iwant ISK and SMA).

It’s a game design change that does not keep a level playing field in the high sec part of the sandbox going forward. The CSM was originally formed when a developer gave t2 BPO’s out to his friends; I hope the next CSM can do something about this mechanic that gives out so much more to established groups.
Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1334 - 2016-03-22 17:28:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
Ayzn Betokhn wrote:
It is encouraging to see that the potential jump clone charges were reduced, but even the new charges every time a jump clone are used are still a negative factor for player quality of life. Expansions are supposed to be full of new opportunities, not an immediate additional burden for all. CCP needs to reverse the plan to charge for using jump clones.

The higher taxes are also an immediate burden for all; and imposing this cost on everyone before the first citadel can even be built, much less allowing time to pass to see which conspiracy theory of which coalition or cartel will dominate the market (or even create a market) demonstrate itself; is just an immediate downside to the upcoming Taxation Expansion.

The plans for high sec citadels to potentially replace npc stations needs to go back to the drawing board. What citadel owners do and earn in null sec space is not the issue. But converting an isk sink for all in the high sec markets to a bigger sink to funnel it into an isk faucet for a smaller group of citadel owners is a huge game design change. Even if Chribba was going to own all the citadels this would be a bad idea. For years there has been talk of ring mining to make moon goo less of a top down income source; the citadels as a high sec market replacement just reinforce the top down income mechanisms.

The npc stations are a level playing field for all traders, sellers, and buyers. Certainly one can not say that a trader can’t get rich in the current environment; and the current system lets new traders come along to make their mark and compete. The proposed citadel plans would give the citadel owners, once established, too much economic power. Look at one disgruntled rich gambling site owner has done to an entire alliance (Iwant ISK and SMA).

It’s a game design change that does not keep a level playing field in the high sec part of the sandbox going forward. The CSM was originally formed when a developer gave t2 BPO’s out to his friends; I hope the next CSM can do something about this mechanic that gives out so much more to established groups.

Do you have a plan to make having a market in a highsec/lowsec Citadel viable? Or does "Everything has to stay a level playing field for everyone in highsec" truly mean that no structure can give any significant bonus cause it would put someone else at a disadvantage?

At current tax rates, there is no reason to use citadels in highsec or lowsec anywhere there is a convenient NPC station, and those are basically everywhere. How do you propose to make a citadel worth operating if every service it can provide must be offered at the same level as the current incredibly cheap and safe NPC services?

When POS's are phased out an Citadels are the only option for player refining, will it be required to nerf it down to NPC station levels? Will citadels be forced to have the same research and manufacturing bonuses that NPC stations (don't) have instead of the POS research style of bonuses, because to do otherwise would cause a non level playing field?

And on a side note, citadel trading is beneficial to the new trader, because you only require a single Rank 2 skill (Accounting) to be able to compete against everyone else in a citadel. As compared to the current system which requires Accounting, Broker Relations, and a slew of social skills, along with either a very extended period of grinding station standings or paying hundreds of millions to several billion for a standings grinding service.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1335 - 2016-03-22 17:28:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Ayzn Betokhn wrote:

Citadels will not be an ISK faucet when looking at the over all economy.

The time between when citadel blueprints will be available and the first ones are built will likely be quite short and people can move their trading operations there and to a large extent avoid the broker's fee.

Citadels will not be a top down income for citadel owners. How anyone can argue this with a straight face is beyond me. That income will be the result of individual transactions. Hundreds, maybe thousands or more.

Nobody said the game is supposed to have a level playing field.

Edit: Anhenka raises a good point. Right now it is not a level playing field for the new players. They have substantial barriers to entry in terms of station trading. To a large extent many of the current barriers will go away with citadels.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1336 - 2016-03-22 17:38:37 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
[quote=Ayzn Betokhn]The proposed citadel plans would give the citadel owners, once established, too much economic power. Look at one disgruntled rich gambling site owner has done to an entire alliance (Iwant ISK and SMA).
First off, the existence of the gambling site shows that rich players already can exist without citadels. Secondly, they spent 1.2 trillion isk, left very little lasting damage and at best managed to get rid of a bunch of the more carebear members of our alliance (mostly ex-renters). That's actually a far better example of how having isk doesn't mean you can just roflstomp whoever you please, no matter how much time you spend making dank memes and bad propaganda.

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1337 - 2016-03-22 18:43:43 UTC
Ah, Lucas, it must be good to classify some of your best PvPers and FCs as carebears. It really makes me fear SMA /s.

Anyway, the "How to lose Subs and influence people" post is almost written, so rejoice that you'll have some thoughts to trample upon :P.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1338 - 2016-03-22 18:57:43 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Ah, Lucas, it must be good to classify some of your best PvPers and FCs as carebears. It really makes me fear SMA /s.
By definition, if you reagequit an alliance because it gets attacked you are a carebear, regardless of whether or not you self-proclaim your greatness.

Beta Maoye
#1339 - 2016-03-22 20:41:59 UTC
Bad Bobby wrote:

A market will not grow in a Citadel until that Citadel has a population. A population will not be drawn to a Citadel by a minor discount in a fee that most players don't even care about.

Once the Citadel has a population, it doesn't matter what the broker fee is. There will be a population to trade with and a market will grow as a result. It will not matter that the price isn't competitive with Jita, because Jita is far away and convenience is more important.

Absolutely.

So no need to bash other hubs. Just block the trade routes to other player's or npc's market hubs which have good volume of trades. Leave the "safe" route open. Trade ships will be diverted to the safe and convenient hub to build up population there. I think people can do that, just look at what they can do in Uedama, Sivala, Niarja, Madirmilire. And nice items and goods can be looted at the same time. Cool, may be I should join a pirate group. Big smile
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#1340 - 2016-03-22 20:46:51 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:

Completely agree. NPC space is the beating heart of 0.0. It keeps the game from stagnating. It provides daily content, risk, and fun. It gives groups a place to start and a place to recover.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.