These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Changing NPC taxes

First post
Author
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1301 - 2016-03-20 01:17:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Rob Kaichin wrote:

And POCOs lack certain advantages that Citadels have, most of which you've mentioned. Do you therefore feel that POCOs are representative of Citadels?

Maybe it's time to consider that these things should be considered wholly by themselves?

Edit: I notice that you didn't deny my point about there being a way to create a pavlovian response to the idea of Citadel anchoring. Any comment?

Second edit: I didn't realise that 'So explain' is meant to be a request, not a archly sarcastic 'go on then' meant as a 'you're an idiot'. :)

You keep forgetting one would have to prohibit any and all entry by non-cartel members. The fact that citadels can have defense and offense is at best a double edged sword...it cuts both ways. It is great you can use the defensive and offensive capabilities on your citadel, but your enemies can as well.

And no idea what is meant by pavlovian? Goons build a citadel and I want a ham sandwich?

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1302 - 2016-03-20 01:20:13 UTC
Gil Wallace wrote:
I still have not seen a valid rebuttal to the fact that the proposed implimentations will have serious consequences to player retention. As it has been stated by many they will drop subs and even mains and walk away from the game. An then it has been stated that the proposed implimentations will also have serious effects on the retention of new players as well. An the later is from those that deal with new players on a daily basis.

Also what has failed time and again to be address by those that seem to love these plans is how it deviates from the over all plans and goals CCP Seagull has stated time and again.

Some seem to think that us from CAS just want people to stay in CAS forever. This is actually not the case we want people to stay in the game as long as they are having fun. We want people if they choose to join a player run corporation to know where they are going, why they are going, as well as to be a benefit to whom they are going.

Some may want to set the goals as stated by CCP Seagull aside fine so be it, yet you can not set aside a retention issue. Hell even the Mittani in his art of war tells you this. Retention and keeping people logging in is so vital that wars and sov are won or lost over it.

So basically if things go as planned what Citadels will be bringing is an over all player retention nerf.

An youll just get new players from where exactly?
You will combat the yeah I used to play even but then CCP did ______. How exactly?

I have talked to 8 people in the past two weeks alone that used to play but left because of one change or another that I had almost had talked into coming back but when they saw this particular set of changes said nah it would effect their style of play in a negative way to much. I know its only 8 people but you think I am the only one that has a story like that? You think I will not hear it again? Your seriously suffering from cognitive dissonance if you believe so.

So why impliment something that you now blows up the supposed plans and goals and will also cause retention to be a bigger issue?

Bald face assertions are just that...bald face assertions and not worthy of a serious response.

And the continuing appeal on the behalf of new players only undermines your argument.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1303 - 2016-03-20 01:29:18 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
As for "how it will work", it works on a number of assumptions.

1) The build time is relatively long, the BPOs are relatively expensive and the BPC Citadels are built relatively quickly.

2) Few enough people will be first-adopters for Citadels, and they'll be the evangelists who will be willing to set up their own citadels.

So, it boils down to this:

There are ~5 Citadel BPC with ME10,TE10. They'll be the first 5 Citadels to be anchored.

There are ~25 systems **worth** anchoring a Citadel in now, (where a Citadel makes back it's money if the market is relisted etc)

2 of those 25 are unanchorable: Jita/Amarr. That leaves 23. (Remember this is all in Highsec). Effectively, that leaves 18 'future Citadel Systems' to be taken.

So, the best 5 Citadel systems are taken, and the evangelists move into those Citadels to make their ISK.

(This is where the conditioning begins.)

Ebil enemy kicks down these 5 citadels: first Citadel KM is going to be a big draw. People worked hard/spent lots to kill new ships as they were introduced. Remember these Citadels won't have good modules or guns.

Evangelists get burned.

Now there's a period of there being **no Citadels**, of up to a month. This is when the conditioning heightens, either by propaganda or just ganking BPC carriers or building a public cartel.

Then the second wave of Citadels come out: Ebil enemy organises more 'burn' campaigns. Evangelists repeatedly burned via harassment and such things. They don't want to build a Citadel because they've seen what happens when you put one up.

Now you've got no/very few evangelists willing to take the risk because the 'reward' is known. Effectively, a conditioned response.

Basically, it's cost Ebil enemy enough tags for ~10-15 fleets, Ship losses and such, and they've gained the experience of fighting a Citadel (sounds familiar? :P) and a conditioned passive player response, which is self perpetuating.

It isn't a thousand Citadel kills to control the markets, it's 10 to 15 kills to tell people what happens if they *try* to control the market.

But then we've seen no data (IIRC) on the building times of modules and Citadels, so maybe it'll be a lot quicker to build than I imagine. Nevertheless, Citadels don't have the benefit of safety in numbers which POCOS under NPC and Player controls have.

Okay, quick response/first reaction, based only on the first few sentences because I have to go do Stuff™. I will re-read and provide more commentary Later™.

ISK is generally seen as a very bad balancing mechanism because there are lots of players with staggering amounts of ISK. I half-ass my money making stuff, IMO, I do invention in spurts and a few other things and could do more to make considerably more...and yet I've got around 45 billion. CCP thought the cost of a JF would limit their number, that they'd be something a large corporation or alliance owned 1 maybe 2 of. Similarly titans. There are hundreds of titans and I'd be willing to bet that a **** ton of players have JFs in their personal hangars.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of people have citadel BPOs researched within relatively short order (large is relative, you say 5 I would not be surprised if it is 50 or more).

More later....

Anhenka
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#1304 - 2016-03-20 02:00:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Anhenka
You could write a doctoral thesis paper based on all the assumption you are making there Rob.

First off, a large Citadel BPO is 70 Bil. It's a lot, but it's not an insurmountable amount. Certainly not for a BPO that would be considered a long term strategic asset. If less than 200 of them are sold on day 1, I'll be very very surprised. Some of those will go into research, but a lot will start pumping out 0 (Or more likely 3-4) ME Citadel copies for people who want a citadel NOW more than they want to save a mere 400-700 mil worth of materials. Give a few weeks and you can expect a dozen BPC's being cranked out every day. Not 5 BPO's.

Isk inflation and concentration has been increasing for years. When a multiboxing nullsec miner can pull 300 mil an hour with a 4 accounts, a multibox ratter 200 an hour with 2 characters, a highsec inventor/builder can pull in couple bil a month in profit, a hardcore Incursion runner can pull in a few bil in a weekend. And lets not even get into how much a good trader can make.

Things like Titans, supercarriers, or 70 bil isk L Citadel BPO's are no longer something only for group efforts. There are tons of relatively wealthy players who will get one as well, on top of all the groups getting them for their own use or industrial copying and sale.

The second ridiculous assumption is that there's going to be a prolonged and concerted effort to bash these Citadels by nullsec groups. Given that the CFC is A: already richer than Midas, and B: has plenty of their own problems atm, trying to wrangle enough nerds to wardec and bash dozens of highsec structures on a regular basis to try and maintain a market monopoly is extremely unlikely. And basically everyone else has either far better things to worry about, or the attention span of a gnat (looking at you here PL)

The third and most ridiculous assumption is the idea that just because it may end poorly means that eve players will stop doing something.

People still try to invade CFC space. People still form mining corps and advertise in highsec despite it being a wardec magnet. People still haul stupid amounts of items in Charons through Niarja. People still let Pantsufan into an alliance leadership position. People still accept duels in highsec. People still try and form one man corps and then build a thriving corp with no experience or way to attract decent recruits. People use dreads within range of PL. People escalate fights when HK tackles a ratter.

We are really bad at not doing things that may end in disaster, and really good at giving those bad ideas a shot anyway. So the idea that eve players will stop building citadels with market citadels because a big group might shoot them?

About as likely as everyone suddenly realizing that hauling 5 Bil in a cargo fit freighter through Niarja at 22:00 is a bad idea.

Players will build citadels. Players will put markets in them. Unless some big Ebil group is prepared to wardec and bash a bunch of citadels on a very regular basis, there's not going to be an iron fist monopoly of trade.

And I don't buy that. Let's be serious here, the most organized activity outside of their own space that the CFC has done in years was the Burn Jita and Hulkageddon events, and even those were a tiny fraction of the sustained effort that would be required to wardec and siege everyone who wanted to build a market citadel.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1305 - 2016-03-20 04:16:40 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
You could write a doctoral thesis paper based on all the assumption you are making there Rob.

First off, a large Citadel BPO is 70 Bil. It's a lot, but it's not an insurmountable amount. Certainly not for a BPO that would be considered a long term strategic asset. If less than 200 of them are sold on day 1, I'll be very very surprised. Some of those will go into research, but a lot will start pumping out 0 (Or more likely 3-4) ME Citadel copies for people who want a citadel NOW more than they want to save a mere 400-700 mil worth of materials. Give a few weeks and you can expect a dozen BPC's being cranked out every day. Not 5 BPO's.

Isk inflation and concentration has been increasing for years. When a multiboxing nullsec miner can pull 300 mil an hour with a 4 accounts, a multibox ratter 200 an hour with 2 characters, a highsec inventor/builder can pull in couple bil a month in profit, a hardcore Incursion runner can pull in a few bil in a weekend. And lets not even get into how much a good trader can make.

Things like Titans, supercarriers, or 70 bil isk L Citadel BPO's are no longer something only for group efforts. There are tons of relatively wealthy players who will get one as well, on top of all the groups getting them for their own use or industrial copying and sale.

The second ridiculous assumption is that there's going to be a prolonged and concerted effort to bash these Citadels by nullsec groups. Given that the CFC is A: already richer than Midas, and B: has plenty of their own problems atm, trying to wrangle enough nerds to wardec and bash dozens of highsec structures on a regular basis to try and maintain a market monopoly is extremely unlikely. And basically everyone else has either far better things to worry about, or the attention span of a gnat (looking at you here PL)

The third and most ridiculous assumption is the idea that just because it may end poorly means that eve players will stop doing something.

People still try to invade CFC space. People still form mining corps and advertise in highsec despite it being a wardec magnet. People still haul stupid amounts of items in Charons through Niarja. People still let Pantsufan into an alliance leadership position. People still accept duels in highsec. People still try and form one man corps and then build a thriving corp with no experience or way to attract decent recruits. People use dreads within range of PL. People escalate fights when HK tackles a ratter.

We are really bad at not doing things that may end in disaster, and really good at giving those bad ideas a shot anyway. So the idea that eve players will stop building citadels with market citadels because a big group might shoot them?

About as likely as everyone suddenly realizing that hauling 5 Bil in a cargo fit freighter through Niarja at 22:00 is a bad idea.

Players will build citadels. Players will put markets in them. Unless some big Ebil group is prepared to wardec and bash a bunch of citadels on a very regular basis, there's not going to be an iron fist monopoly of trade.

And I don't buy that. Let's be serious here, the most organized activity outside of their own space that the CFC has done in years was the Burn Jita and Hulkageddon events, and even those were a tiny fraction of the sustained effort that would be required to wardec and siege everyone who wanted to build a market citadel.

Well, guess I don't have to post. Let me just say, "Me too."

GreyGryphon
The Spartains
#1306 - 2016-03-20 21:03:22 UTC
Anhenka wrote:
The second ridiculous assumption is that there's going to be a prolonged and concerted effort to bash these Citadels by nullsec groups. Given that the CFC is A: already richer than Midas, and B: has plenty of their own problems atm, trying to wrangle enough nerds to wardec and bash dozens of highsec structures on a regular basis to try and maintain a market monopoly is extremely unlikely. And basically everyone else has either far better things to worry about, or the attention span of a gnat (looking at you here PL).

It might be ridiculous to assume that any group would continually bash dozens of citadels to maintain a market monopoly, but that might not even be necessary. There might only be a couple citadels at any time that would be worth bashing to maintain control over most of the market. It would be even easier just to hire someone to camp a system and gank anything that comes or goes to keep the competition from growing. The wealth from a popular citadel could be massive. I doubt many groups wouldn't be interested in a market monopoly even if they are "richer than Midas".
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1307 - 2016-03-20 21:43:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
GreyGryphon wrote:
Anhenka wrote:
The second ridiculous assumption is that there's going to be a prolonged and concerted effort to bash these Citadels by nullsec groups. Given that the CFC is A: already richer than Midas, and B: has plenty of their own problems atm, trying to wrangle enough nerds to wardec and bash dozens of highsec structures on a regular basis to try and maintain a market monopoly is extremely unlikely. And basically everyone else has either far better things to worry about, or the attention span of a gnat (looking at you here PL).

It might be ridiculous to assume that any group would continually bash dozens of citadels to maintain a market monopoly, but that might not even be necessary. There might only be a couple citadels at any time that would be worth bashing to maintain control over most of the market. It would be even easier just to hire someone to camp a system and gank anything that comes or goes to keep the competition from growing. The wealth from a popular citadel could be massive. I doubt many groups wouldn't be interested in a market monopoly even if they are "richer than Midas".

You let in even one, then it could result in a price war where profits are greatly reduced, even to zero.

So you have to stop whatever you are doing and go kill the citadel, the sooner the better lest others think they too can enter.

Let me clear: monopolies, in general, are a PITA to maintain. And even then market dominance may not be enough. Read up on Standard Oil, even though they controlled over 90% of the oil refining market they actually lowered prices, not raised them. And in the end they lost tremendous market share and were finally broken up.

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1308 - 2016-03-20 21:47:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
@Teckos, exactly how much did Standard Oil make whilst struggling to enforce their monopoly?

There are a few *small* buildings and institutions it started, you know...

Edit: because I think it bears spelling out.

Repeating "Oh, but it's hard!" as a reason it won't happen is pretty ******* stupid. We literally have proof in real life that "it's too hard" is the stupidest, most incorrect reason things won't happen.

Could you explain, for the ignorant, who and what broke up Standard Oil, and what forces they had at their disposal? Could you identify how that force functions in Eve, and what self-imposed limitations they have?
Marcus Tedric
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#1309 - 2016-03-20 22:11:10 UTC
Gil Wallace wrote:
I still have not seen a valid rebuttal to the fact that the proposed implimentations will have serious consequences to player retention. .............................

So why impliment something that you now blows up the supposed plans and goals and will also cause retention to be a bigger issue?

TL:DR - Because what you're suggesting is rubbish.

But then I'm a 'Grr Goon' - so of course I must have an evil agenda......But I'll try anyway.

New players will neither notice nor care. Is there a vague possibility that they could be paying a teeny tiny bit more for items in stations, yes. Even possibly a whole 6% more - whoop de doop. That's nothing vs what poor unknowing youngsters pay when there are current grasping and evil traders about manipulating markets.

I've watched PLEX go from <300m to >1,300m - 6% - piffle! Why has PLEX gone up like that - simple hyper-inflation caused by the fact that players can indeed 'print isk' themselves with relatively little effort.

So - do we need more isk sinks - yes we do. If CCP had planned the roll out of Citadels a bit better - this change to NPC taxes would have happened a very logn time ago. But I may forgive them that.

Will some of the rather poor traders leave because they want it easy and they whine so - yes - good riddance; although I rather suspect that they will come back - because there is no other game like EVE.

The introduction of Citadels and competitive market fees isn't a cause for anyone to leave - just silly perceptions and a few whines.

If you don't want to play with Citadels - don't - no one will force you too. And that's the real point.

Don't soil your panties, you guys made a good point, we'll look at the numbers again. - CCP Ytterbium

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1310 - 2016-03-20 22:34:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Rob Kaichin wrote:
@Teckos, exactly how much did Standard Oil make whilst struggling to enforce their monopoly?

There are a few *small* buildings and institutions it started, you know...

Edit: because I think it bears spelling out.

Repeating "Oh, but it's hard!" as a reason it won't happen is pretty ******* stupid. We literally have proof in real life that "it's too hard" is the stupidest, most incorrect reason things won't happen.

Could you explain, for the ignorant, who and what broke up Standard Oil, and what forces they had at their disposal? Could you identify how that force functions in Eve, and what self-imposed limitations they have?

Alot, but ironically their big advantage was the rebates from the rail roads. Rockefeller played the railroads off of one another basically, he also threatened to build piplines instead of using the railroads. It allowed him to keep his costs low and thus his prices and undercut competitors.

Also, his company was extremely innovative, unlike your typical monopoly, in that it used what was often considered waste products at other refineries either as final goods (vasoline) or as an input (Rockefeller's refineries would use gasoline to power machinery vs. dumping it into rivers). But the bottom line is that kerosene prices dropped considerably making the typical consumer better off. So, if we are going to use this as a template, anyone referencing new players can go **** themselves...preferably spit roast style so they just can't type anymore.*

It was finally broken up by the U.S. government well past its heyday as the largest oil refining company in the U.S. Ironically the break up vastly increased Rockefeller's wealth several fold. And even more ironically, Standard Oil has re-emerged today...now we call it Exxon-Mobil. An analogous institution in the game would be CCP...fortunately CCP is much, much more hands off than the U.S. government.

Your point?

Oh, and as point of reference, Ida Tarbell, the muck-racker that had a particular obsession with Standard...her father owned a refinery and was put out of business by Rockefeller. Not exactly the most unbiased source.

It's amazing what you can learn when you read something besides the popular account of history.

*Some numbers...in 1880 when Standard had a 90% market share the price of kerosene was 9 cents. Down from 58 cents when Rockefeller first got into oil refining (no, I am not attributing that price decrease all to Rockefeller, but for somebody who many regard as the quintessential monopolist he sure was doing it ******* wrong). In the 1890's, the price of kerosene was...7 cents. As a supposed "monopolist" Rockefeller was apparently a ******* moron.

If citadels go the route of Standard Oil, new players and many others will likely be strictly better off with cheaper goods than they otherwise might be. But I am doubtful such an outcome can be obtained. As Anhenka pointed out, explaining why would go a long way towards at least a master's thesis if not a PhD.

Henry Plantgenet
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1311 - 2016-03-21 12:57:21 UTC
thought this was going to be about NPC corp taxes.
colour me suprised.
carry on.....
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1312 - 2016-03-21 13:09:42 UTC
Quote:
Your point?

Quote:
A lot.

Quote:
It was finally broken up by the U.S. government.

Quote:
An analogous institution in the game would be CCP...fortunately CCP is much, much more hands off than the U.S. government.

Look, Teckos, you answered my questions already!
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1313 - 2016-03-21 14:36:30 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Quote:
Your point?

Quote:
A lot.

Quote:
It was finally broken up by the U.S. government.

Quote:
An analogous institution in the game would be CCP...fortunately CCP is much, much more hands off than the U.S. government.

Look, Teckos, you answered my questions already!

So you have no point. Making alot of ISK is now bad? Really?

Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1314 - 2016-03-21 14:57:52 UTC
I can't tell if your obliviousness is deliberate, or if you really do forget the things you post after you post them.

Teckos wrote:
You let in even one, then it could result in a price war where profits are greatly reduced, even to zero.

So you have to stop whatever you are doing and go kill the citadel, the sooner the better lest others think they too can enter.

Let me clear: monopolies, in general, are a PITA to maintain. And even then market dominance may not be enough. Read up on Standard Oil, even though they controlled over 90% of the oil refining market they actually lowered prices, not raised them. And in the end they lost tremendous market share and were finally broken up.

I was raising the upsides of the monopoly which you deliberately ignore.

Standard Oil made Rockefeller ludicrously rich. Even before the Sherman act, he was worth hundreds of billions of dollars. (in today's money).

In Eve, there is no Sherman Act. There is no proactive government.

My point is this: making a ludicrous amount of ISK is unhealthy for the game and for the players.

But please, keep telling me how bad the monopoly of Standard Oil was for Rockefeller, who died a homeless pauper inside one of his failed refineries...

/s.

Marcus Tedric
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#1315 - 2016-03-21 15:04:14 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
My point is this: making a ludicrous amount of ISK is unhealthy for the game and for the players.

Traders don't 'make isk' - they may amass wealth, but all their isk has come from players.

ALL the isk comes from ratting and its equivalent(s). It's the actual players that, literally, make the isk. It grows on 'red ratting trees'.

Don't soil your panties, you guys made a good point, we'll look at the numbers again. - CCP Ytterbium

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1316 - 2016-03-21 15:18:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Rob Kaichin wrote:
I can't tell if your obliviousness is deliberate, or if you really do forget the things you post after you post them.

Teckos wrote:

Standard Oil made Rockefeller ludicrously rich. Even before the Sherman act, he was worth hundreds of billions of dollars. (in today's money).

But please, keep telling me how bad the monopoly of Standard Oil was for Rockefeller, who died a homeless pauper inside one of his failed refineries...

/s.

Monopolies suck. They reduce output and raise prices. That is what they do. Considering Standard Oil did neither of those, IMO, Standard was not a monopoly. Monopolies earn economic profits and introduce a distortion to the economy. But, IMO, in the Standard case this is hard to argue in that prices actually decreased. If anything Standard introduced more effective cost minimization which is a good thing not only for Standard but for society. And if they increased profits, that's good too because profits are not a bad thing either.

There is ludicrious amounts of ISK in the game and some players make ludicrous amounts of ISK. I fail to see the down side of a player or a group of players having stupid amounts of ISK, but perhaps you can elucidate these downsides.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1317 - 2016-03-21 15:20:06 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:

Arguably though, as there's a finite amount of isk available for collection in this way at any given time and limited options of things to spend it on, it all being on one player is the similar to it not really being in the game.

Additionally, the opportunity for players to make this kind of isk are already there. Take iwantisk for example, they rake in trillions from that, and they even have the additional factor that their method of making isk heavily masks potential RMT, yet them existing isn't ending the game. Citadel owners would be under even tighter scrutiny.

Realistically, you have to convince us that single players/groups will be able to create a monopoly rather than end up with multiple competing groups and that their existence would be bad for the game, neither of which I'm convinced about just yet.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#1318 - 2016-03-21 15:28:05 UTC
Marcus Tedric wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:

Traders don't 'make isk' - they may amass wealth, but all their isk has come from players.

ALL the isk comes from ratting and its equivalent(s). It's the actual players that, literally, make the isk. It grows on 'red ratting trees'.

I think Rob's point is that amassing a vast fortune in terms of ISK is bad for the game. Seeing as how many players already have amassed vast fortunes and the game is still here I find Rob's position merely one based on....well I was going to say envy, but to be honest, I have not idea what. Not even sure he does.

I simply find the notion that a player monopoly will develop and it will ruin the game to be a rather strong pair of claims that I'd like to see more of an explanation. Right now the argument seems to go like this:

1. Goons put down an XL citadel in Perimeter.
2. Everyone decides challenging the new Goon hegemony is pointless and don't even try.
3. Goons make even more stupid amounts of ISK.
4. CCP for some reason has to turn off the servers forever.

Marc Rene
Doomheim
#1319 - 2016-03-21 15:48:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Marc Rene
My real problem with this proposed change is that I don't think it's going to achieve it's goal, and will just end up as a massive ISK sink.

Whatever CCP ultimately do the market will adapt and carry on pretty much as before.

I can't see hi-sec player run major trade hub markets being viable.

If Goons try, their rivals will burn it down. If anyone else attempts it the Goons will burn it down.

This is before you even start to think about all the possible issues with access rights, changing fees, not fuelling the market service or the Citadel owner just deciding to unanchor it.

Further I think CCP's approach to NPC taxes is further flawed in that they are violating one of their own stated game design goals (when industry was tweaked IIRC) - in that no player should be forced to do PvE just to reduce their costs. Everyone should get the equivalent of the maximum discount.
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1320 - 2016-03-21 16:16:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
Talk about bringing people out of the woodwork!

@Marcus, good point. Maybe you're ignoring insurance, but that's not that important.

@Lucas, maybe I'm just misreading your first sentence or perhaps you've dropped a comma, but your first sentence seems to be confused. Because the ISK is being concentrated in the hands of one player, it's not really 'real'? I'm probably not understanding you correctly.

As for IWI and the like, I disapprove of those too :P. I will say that they're an example of player structures developed by players for players, where as this would/will be an example of player structures developed for players by CCP. IWI 'earned' their position, as it were, whereas our future despot is 'given' theirs.

@Teckos, You're the one who initially identified it as a monopoly. If it isn't, that isn't my fault...

@Teckos and Lucas, I'll write the "How to create a monopoly" post which is the post to Teckos I postponed.