These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Buying the game and getting ISK?

Author
Goran Rage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2016-03-18 21:45:48 UTC
Hello,

I'm currently on a trial account, but I'm looking to be a subscriber. A while back a friend of mine mentioned veteran players will pay ISK to trial accounts who purchase a subscription. Is this true? If so how do I get around to that?

Thanks!
GR
Memphis Baas
#2 - 2016-03-18 22:25:36 UTC
You need to use the Buddy Rewards Program and become someone's buddy. Note that they invite you and you click the link to create a NEW trial account, which then you upgrade to full. And they get all the rewards.

But some of them will give you, or share, some or all the rewards. List of such offers is in this huge thread at the top of this sub-forum. I recommend you start from the last page, as that is the most recent and thus you have a better chance of the players being online. You may contact them in-game via email prior to setting the whole thing up.
Goran Rage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3 - 2016-03-18 22:27:28 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
You need to use the Buddy Rewards Program and become someone's buddy. Note that they invite you and you click the link to create a NEW trial account, which then you upgrade to full. And they get all the rewards.

But some of them will give you, or share, some or all the rewards. List of such offers is in this huge thread at the top of this sub-forum. I recommend you start from the last page, as that is the most recent and thus you have a better chance of the players being online. You may contact them in-game via email prior to setting the whole thing up.

I see, so I would have to re-start my trail? I couldn't keep this character for the buddy program?
Memphis Baas
#4 - 2016-03-18 22:46:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
No, the Buddy Program is intended to persuade people to create a new account and get addicted to the game. As such, it will force you to create a new account. You don't have to wait another 14 days to upgrade; you can upgrade using the buddy link on day 1 and keep your 14 days. They don't delete your trial days when you upgrade to full account; they just add the trial days to your total time.

You can delete your current character to make the name available so you can re-create your character on the new (buddy) account. Just find the buddy first, confirm the deal, then delete and go for it.
Goran Rage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#5 - 2016-03-18 23:04:46 UTC
Memphis Baas wrote:
No, the Buddy Program is intended to persuade people to create a new account and get addicted to the game. As such, it will force you to create a new account. You don't have to wait another 14 days to upgrade; you can upgrade using the buddy link on day 1 and keep your 14 days. They don't delete your trial days when you upgrade to full account; they just add the trial days to your total time.

You can delete your current character to make the name available so you can re-create your character on the new (buddy) account. Just find the buddy first, confirm the deal, then delete and go for it.

Thank you for your help, I'll have to think about it I guess. I just started recently, but I've become quite attached with my character.
Memphis Baas
#6 - 2016-03-18 23:25:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Memphis Baas
If you're attached, then don't do the buddy invite. Just upgrade your account to full, and then pay another $20 from the Account Management web page to get yourself a PLEX. Go to Jita, redeem that PLEX into the Jita station, then sell it, and you'll get the 1b ISK to get you started.

EDIT: There are taxes when you sell things on the market. Typically 2%, but because the PLEX is worth 1b, the taxes are about 10 million. You will need to make 10 million ISK from mining or the career missions or whatever activity, before you can sell the PLEX in Jita. Don't try to borrow the 10 million, everyone in Jita thinks everyone else is a scammer or beggar (because some people are).

EDIT: This game is long term. You'll be playing for years, at $11-$15 per month, it adds up. It's a lot of entertainment for $15, but some people don't see it that way.
Paranoid Loyd
#7 - 2016-03-18 23:41:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Memphis Baas wrote:
Go to Jita, redeem that PLEX into the Jita station, then sell it, and you'll get the 1b ISK to get you started.
Please note, the order of operations here is very important.
DO NOT REDEEM YOUR PLEX unless you are docked in the station where you will be selling it.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#8 - 2016-03-19 00:34:33 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:
Go to Jita, redeem that PLEX into the Jita station, then sell it, and you'll get the 1b ISK to get you started.
DO NOT REDEEM YOUR PLEX unless you are docked in the station where you will be selling it.

I'm echoing because it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT!

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Jacques d'Orleans
#9 - 2016-03-19 02:14:53 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

It can't be mentioned enough!!
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#10 - 2016-03-19 03:42:44 UTC
Jacques d'Orleans wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

Legitimately impossible to understate how important this is.
Sere O'Asis
Desert Oasis Investigations
#11 - 2016-03-19 06:02:27 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Jacques d'Orleans wrote:
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Memphis Baas wrote:

Legitimately impossible to understate how important this is.

I thought an explanation of why this is important should go here as well.

If you undock in a ship with a plex in its cargo hold intending to carry it somewhere to sell, almost EVERYONE and his pet fedo will shoot your ship in the hope the plex will drop and they can loot it.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#12 - 2016-03-19 11:15:41 UTC
If you want examples of what happens when people undock with PLEX in their cargo, have a read of this:

http://www.minerbumping.com/2015/12/kills-of-week_13.html

That's the first thing that came up when I googled 'minerbumping PLEX tank kills of the week' but there's a lot more of them. Those 'killmails' represent ships that were blown up.

I generally offer different advice to what you've had here though - if you learn how to make ISK while you are in-game broke, you will be better positioned to stay solvent later in your EVE career. I'm probably worth a bit under a quarter trillion ISK, and it's come from trading, (occasionally) scamming, and early in my EVE career, running missions.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Memphis Baas
#13 - 2016-03-19 13:49:40 UTC
Sabriz Adoudel wrote:
If you want examples of what happens when people undock with PLEX in their cargo, have a read of this:

http://www.minerbumping.com/2015/12/kills-of-week_13.html

That's the first thing that came up when I googled 'minerbumping PLEX tank kills of the week'.

You know, you (and CODE) are the only ones who know to add the term "minerbumping" to search phrases. And I get it that you want your site to be more popular, and thus you advertise it everywhere, but a newbie who just searches "plex in the cargo", like a normal person, will get plenty of warnings to not do it from a multitude of sources.
Hehaw Jimbojohnson
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#14 - 2016-03-20 00:43:41 UTC
Being on a trial account, you couldn't have too much invested in that character. If I were you, I would recommend starting over with a buddy invite from someone who will give you most of the profits from the buddy reward. With the price of PLEX nowadays, you could easily get 500+ M isk, which is a HUGE starting sum for a brand new player.

Hell, if you want to go that route and want to use my buddy invite, I'll give you the more or less full value of the PLEX less transaction fees after you subscribe (around a billion isk). Always looking to add new enthusiastic players to this incredibly addicting long-term batch of crack. Just let me know.