These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Battle flashes across system

Author
Khannea Sun-Tzu
EBSTF Holdings
#1 - 2016-03-12 18:16:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Khannea Sun-Tzu
Simple addition to tthe game - every time a ship explodes, in particular very large ships, effects of the event are noticeable across the entire system.

1 - there is a brief chatter of radio noise suggestive of crew evacuations, emergency beacons, etc. For battleships that explode and bigger.

2 - you can see flashes in the distance like flaring stars, where ships explode, maybe accompanied by a short thud sound, [representing the EMP burst or static that is overheard on the ships sensor system]. A frigate should barely be visible, but a battleship exploding should be a fairly visible flash in the distance., whereas a supercpa would be designated with a blinding flare that lasts several seconds.

3 - exploded ships briefly (12 seconds for a titan? 2 seconds for a battleecuiser? ) show as locations you can warp to, being very loud in terms of warp signature. This would make sense, be a realistic feature simulationwise and make the game a lot more nail-biting. Beware the crows of battle.
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#2 - 2016-03-12 18:29:58 UTC
I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but this:

Quote:
be a realistic feature

in no way, shape or form gels with this:

Khannea Sun-Tzu wrote:
maybe accompanied by a short thud sound.

LolLolOops

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

Iain Cariaba
#3 - 2016-03-12 18:49:57 UTC
Khannea Sun-Tzu wrote:
This would make sense

No, no it wouldn't.

Khannea Sun-Tzu wrote:
be a realistic feature simulationwise

First off, EvE is not a simulator. Really, it's not. Secondly, realism?

LolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLolLol

Yeah, because a starry background and skin on what is ultimately a submarine combat game just smacks of realism.

Roll
Julanna Egnald
Del's Industrial Strip Mining
#4 - 2016-03-12 18:50:11 UTC
So you expect to be able to see a miniscule 1km diameter explosion from 20 AU away, when you can't even see a planet that far away? You need to grasp just how mind-boggingly HUGE a solar system is. Those tiny specs won't even register on sensors that far away.
Khannea Sun-Tzu
EBSTF Holdings
#5 - 2016-03-12 18:55:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Khannea Sun-Tzu
Julanna Egnald wrote:
So you expect to be able to see a miniscule 1km diameter explosion from 20 AU away, when you can't even see a planet that far away? You need to grasp just how mind-boggingly HUGE a solar system is. Those tiny specs won't even register on sensors that far away.

I am fine in my astrophysics, thank you very much. If I'd detonate a several megawatt nuclear explosion on mars, you would be able to see it with your naked eyes. Actually. No binoculars needed. 20 AE may be a bit further, and consequently the burst would be less prominent.

Stuff like explosions and flashes in the distance are a staple of nearly all similarly inclined Space Opera novels and movies, realism nothwithstanding.

I am sometimes a little surprised by the recalcitrant intolerance of eve participants when it comes to subtle changes to the Eve Online universe. Maybe we should do away with this forum and email suggestions directly to CCP?
Khannea Sun-Tzu
EBSTF Holdings
#6 - 2016-03-12 19:00:56 UTC
Quote:
Yeah, because a starry background and skin on what is ultimately a submarine combat game just smacks of realism.

NO eve online is not "realistic", in the most strict of hard SF sense. It does however have a narrative pretense of realistic immersion. The game vies to be credible, make sense, feel immersive, seduce, show the impact of other participants. The feature is similar to the green "Caroline's Star", which is a major feature in the backstory. How can a star appear at the same time across a swath of star systems probably a few hundred light years apart? Impossible, but still CCP implements it, for reasons of storytelling.

Incidentally, I intend to run as CSM one day, primarily to have CCP introduce similarly "immersive storytelling" features in the game. I am more interested in storytelling features than game balance. But to each his or her own.

Lyra Gerie
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2016-03-12 19:27:57 UTC
I like the idea for it's merit not realism. If a large battle is occurring it would be pretty neat to see occasional flashes of light in the distance. The comm chatter is a bit over the top, but given the recent adjustments to the game including larger grid size and waypoints in space ect, this wouldn't exactly be an awful addition.

If you wanted to add something more like crews escaping and such, it would be neat when in low structure to see motes of light leaving your ship as it gets more and more damaged to simulate crew ejecting. Then again they need to bring back the ship on fire thing for structure damage first. I was really disappointed when I found out it wasn't that plus the dimming of ship lights, would have looked so cool with both =/
Crazy Kitten
The Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire
#8 - 2016-03-12 19:42:24 UTC
Khannea Sun-Tzu wrote:
I am fine in my astrophysics, thank you very much. If I'd detonate a several megawatt nuclear explosion on mars, you would be able to see it with your naked eyes. Actually. No binoculars needed. 20 AE may be a bit further, and consequently the burst would be less prominent.

uhm... lets assume you meant megaton nuclear explosions, for one thing. but even that you'd not be able to see from earth, if it happened on mars. you can barely see mars with the naked eye, depending on your atmospheric conditions and the light pollution.
you might be able to see a nuke going off on the moon, but i wouldn't bet anything valuable on that, if it's on the "day" side.

also, if you want visual effects propagate throughout the system realistically, keep in mind that 1au are 8 light minutes, so an explosion that happens 20au away would be visible to you only after >2.5h

just to put this into scale: 20au is about the orbit of uranus. at that distance, the sun itself is basically just another star in the sky. http://futurism.com/how-does-the-sun-appear-on-other-planets/

even explosions on the same grid can be barely visible due to the distances involved.

now, as to the "warp to" part: so very much no, that'd open so many cans of worms that even klingons would get sick of them. assuming that you want an unrealistic instantaneous flash throughout the whole system, ignoring light speed limits and all that pesky physics, you'd eliminate a large part of combat scanner probe functionality: a mission runner would basically be permanently a warpable target, due to rats exploding left&right. also, some ppl use unprobable ships for mission running in risky areas, which would no longer be possible.
Khannea Sun-Tzu
EBSTF Holdings
#9 - 2016-03-12 19:47:20 UTC
Crazy Kitten wrote:
now, as to the "warp to" part: so very much no, that'd open so many cans of worms that even klingons would get sick of them. assuming that you want an unrealistic instantaneous flash throughout the whole system, ignoring light speed limits and all that pesky physics, you'd eliminate a large part of combat scanner probe functionality: a mission runner would basically be permanently a warpable target, due to rats exploding left&right. also, some ppl use unprobable ships for mission running in risky areas, which would no longer be possible.

Good point, clearly.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#10 - 2016-03-12 20:07:29 UTC
Khannea Sun-Tzu wrote:
Crazy Kitten wrote:

Good point, clearly.

That's really the biggest issue with your suggestion.

However, this is also relevant.
Bobb Bobbington
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#11 - 2016-03-13 01:08:45 UTC
I think that this is an amazing idea if the graphics team pulls it off, but 2 suggestions. First of all, warping to them is definitely a no no. Secondly, only have the effects seen within exactly 14.3 au. That way, it's within dscan range, and you aren't giving people free intel.

This is a signature.

It has a 25m signature.

No it's not a cosmic signature.

Probably.

Btw my corp's recruiting.

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
Space Brutality
#12 - 2016-03-14 14:33:40 UTC
no sound as you wouldn't hear it in space, as is our sound is based on digital ideas of the sound made and put into our brains because lets face it, being surrounded in pure silence would be maddening

light would be hard as it would have to very in reference to your direction and more so in distance....and the idea of a blinding flash for large ships is 2 fold

1 a large group nukes going off from the orbit of pluto wouldn't even be remotely blinding "oh look pretty sparkles" comes to mind as there it takes whole stars exploding to barely notice them

2 the people in the area would have a hard time seeing

also mission areas would be come incredibly noisy

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

SibSpi
Buggers' Advanced Interstellar Transport
#13 - 2016-03-14 15:45:24 UTC
Quote:
no sound as you wouldn't hear it in space, as is our sound is based on digital ideas of the sound made and put into our brains because lets face it, being surrounded in pure silence would be maddening

In this vein this is the only manner in which this sort of addition would make sense. It would essentially amount to one's directional scanner picking up 'blips' (spikes?) in radiation of different wavelengths in x direction.

In *that* sense I would argue this sort of addition might make sense to have since one can obviously just sit and watch directional scan to determine ships are somewhere in x direction and are leaving; it stands to reason one ought to be able to detect differences in radiation at those distances as well.

On that note however, at what speed would such radiation travel? I'm not physics(?)-inclined by an extremely long shot and only know light travels at just shy of 300k km/s. With 1AU being 149,598,000km (One Hundred Fourty Nine Million...) it would take somewhere around 499 or so seconds for light to travel that distance.

That is to say, if something like a titan popped 1AU from you, then a little over 8 minutes later you could see your sensors flaring up with the event in the direction it occurred in relative to where you are.

Obviously highly impractical if what you wanted was a visual indicator of where fun is happening right now in the system you're in even if it's several AU from you, but, well...

(considering directional scanning and probing are essentially 'instant' actions despite the sorts of distances being dealt with, and since we have warp drives, I suppose someone could figure out something sci-fi-y to 'make it work'?)
Beldantazar
Empyrean Acolytes
#14 - 2016-03-14 20:46:14 UTC
SibSpi wrote:
Quote:

In this vein this is the only manner in which this sort of addition would make sense. It would essentially amount to one's directional scanner picking up 'blips' (spikes?) in radiation of different wavelengths in x direction.

In *that* sense I would argue this sort of addition might make sense to have since one can obviously just sit and watch directional scan to determine ships are somewhere in x direction and are leaving; it stands to reason one ought to be able to detect differences in radiation at those distances as well.

On that note however, at what speed would such radiation travel? I'm not physics(?)-inclined by an extremely long shot and only know light travels at just shy of 300k km/s. With 1AU being 149,598,000km (One Hundred Fourty Nine Million...) it would take somewhere around 499 or so seconds for light to travel that distance.

That is to say, if something like a titan popped 1AU from you, then a little over 8 minutes later you could see your sensors flaring up with the event in the direction it occurred in relative to where you are.

Obviously highly impractical if what you wanted was a visual indicator of where fun is happening right now in the system you're in even if it's several AU from you, but, well...

(considering directional scanning and probing are essentially 'instant' actions despite the sorts of distances being dealt with, and since we have warp drives, I suppose someone could figure out something sci-fi-y to 'make it work'?)

You could easily just say that the destruction of a warp drive produces a faster than light shockwave in subspace. So the justification of why is easy. Same thing for it not being 8 minutes later for a titan jumping into system. You really should see something on your sensors when something of that size just suddenly appears after having used utterly gigantic amounts of energy to hurl itself through a temporary wormhole.