These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Laptop for Eve as Travelling with work - Need to decide by Monday 14th

Author
Red Noggin
M4gnum P.I.
#1 - 2016-03-12 19:32:10 UTC
Hi all,

I'm after a laptop for playing eve, I'm not looking for big fleet battles etc, just normal Eve low sec PVP, FW, standard things. I dont really want to spend a fortune, but I'm confused to hell and back with what will do it!!


1 . Lenovo Yoga 500-15ISK 80R6
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
2Gb NV840 graphics
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

2. Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD 80N6
Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz ( 2.7 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB Hybrid Drive ( 8 GB flash ) / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 920M - 2 GB
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

3. HP Envy 15-ae103na
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
12 GB DDR3L
2 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 940M / Intel HD Graphics 520 - 2 GB DDR3L


They do go up in value from 1 to 2 (+£100) 2 to 3 (+50).

So what do you think I'm limited to were I can buy so these options unless I spend over £800 which I dont want to.


Please help ASAP!








TrickyBlackSteel
Iron Mining and Industy Fleet
#2 - 2016-03-12 19:37:42 UTC
Red Noggin wrote:
Hi all,



3. HP Envy 15-ae103na
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
12 GB DDR3L
2 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 940M / Intel HD Graphics 520 - 2 GB DDR3L





This One ,best of all
Memphis Baas
#3 - 2016-03-12 19:42:41 UTC
For games always get the best graphics card that you can, so yes make sure you get the Nvidia GeForce 940M. Everything else is more than sufficient.

The game is online, so if you're traveling you'll have to rely on wifi hotspots, but you should also consider having a cellular hotspot like this one. So that you can connect even if you don't have access to a free wifi.
Red Noggin
M4gnum P.I.
#4 - 2016-03-12 20:07:33 UTC
OK great that's what about the r9 m375 graphics card.
Ibutho Inkosi
Doomheim
#5 - 2016-03-12 23:14:53 UTC
And, of course as is the case for all laptop gamers, you're going to need one of THESE, TOO!

As long as the tale of the hunt is told by the hunter, and not the lion, it will favor the hunter.

Jacques d'Orleans
#6 - 2016-03-12 23:23:06 UTC
Ibutho Inkosi wrote:
And, of course as is the case for all laptop gamers, you're going to need one of THESE, TOO!


Relevant if UK citizen
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#7 - 2016-03-12 23:29:16 UTC
I'd also suggest looking at MSI. They make excellent laptops and the one I have (GS70) is also very thin and light for a 17-inch laptop, yet still very powerful. It can easily run EVE at max settings.
King Aires
Out of Focus
Odin's Call
#8 - 2016-03-12 23:54:37 UTC
Red Noggin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm after a laptop for playing eve, I'm not looking for big fleet battles etc, just normal Eve low sec PVP, FW, standard things. I dont really want to spend a fortune, but I'm confused to hell and back with what will do it!!


1 . Lenovo Yoga 500-15ISK 80R6
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
2Gb NV840 graphics
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

2. Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD 80N6
Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz ( 2.7 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB Hybrid Drive ( 8 GB flash ) / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 920M - 2 GB
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

3. HP Envy 15-ae103na
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
12 GB DDR3L
2 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 940M / Intel HD Graphics 520 - 2 GB DDR3L


They do go up in value from 1 to 2 (+£100) 2 to 3 (+50).

So what do you think I'm limited to were I can buy so these options unless I spend over £800 which I dont want to.


Please help ASAP!




I just bought a Dell Inspiron 11 6th generation i3-6100U 11.6" to take with me to fanfest and for times when traveling with the MSI apache I own is unfeasible (trains, smaller planes)

I have played around with it at home, with low settings and post processing off I can get a very respectable stable 60fps almost all the time, and 30fps in fleets (Cormorants of course).

The new 6th generation intel integrated graphics can play eve well all the way down to the N series Celeron equivalents
Jovian Death
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2016-03-13 00:03:17 UTC
King Aires wrote:
Red Noggin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm after a laptop for playing eve, I'm not looking for big fleet battles etc, just normal Eve low sec PVP, FW, standard things. I dont really want to spend a fortune, but I'm confused to hell and back with what will do it!!


1 . Lenovo Yoga 500-15ISK 80R6
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
2Gb NV840 graphics
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

2. Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD 80N6
Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz ( 2.7 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB Hybrid Drive ( 8 GB flash ) / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 920M - 2 GB
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

3. HP Envy 15-ae103na
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
12 GB DDR3L
2 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 940M / Intel HD Graphics 520 - 2 GB DDR3L


They do go up in value from 1 to 2 (+£100) 2 to 3 (+50).

So what do you think I'm limited to were I can buy so these options unless I spend over £800 which I dont want to.


Please help ASAP!




I just bought a Dell Inspiron 11 6th generation i3-6100U 11.6" to take with me to fanfest and for times when traveling with the MSI apache I own is unfeasible (trains, smaller planes)

I have played around with it at home, with low settings and post processing off I can get a very respectable stable 60fps almost all the time, and 30fps in fleets (Cormorants of course).

The new 6th generation intel integrated graphics can play eve well all the way down to the N series Celeron equivalents



I use Dell M6800 32gb i7-4910MQ. Weighs a bloody ton Shocked
Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#10 - 2016-03-13 00:10:58 UTC
"work" huh.

But yeah out of these three, take the HP. Touchscreens are overrated anyway. Not sure if you really want a 15" laptop though. You also might find something with a 760m gfx card, which will be better for gaming even though it's an older generation.

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Divine Entervention
Doomheim
#11 - 2016-03-13 00:30:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Divine Entervention
if you actually had this job you're reffering to, you wouldn't be toying around with these "grandpaw checking his aol emails" choices.

You'd man mode it up with a xps.

Stop using my tax dollars to fund your gaming habits.

Probably the first one though
Dak Hakin
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2016-03-13 03:11:48 UTC
Red Noggin wrote:
OK great that's what about the r9 m375 graphics card.


I would never go with a Radeon, but thats personal choice and experience.
King Aires
Out of Focus
Odin's Call
#13 - 2016-03-13 12:59:11 UTC
Jovian Death wrote:
King Aires wrote:
Red Noggin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm after a laptop for playing eve, I'm not looking for big fleet battles etc, just normal Eve low sec PVP, FW, standard things. I dont really want to spend a fortune, but I'm confused to hell and back with what will do it!!


1 . Lenovo Yoga 500-15ISK 80R6
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
2Gb NV840 graphics
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

2. Lenovo Yoga 500-15IBD 80N6
Intel Core i5 (5th Gen) 5200U / 2.2 GHz ( 2.7 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3L
1 TB Hybrid Drive ( 8 GB flash ) / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 920M - 2 GB
Touch Screen (not for eve but nice)

3. HP Envy 15-ae103na
Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache
12 GB DDR3L
2 TB HDD / 5400 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 940M / Intel HD Graphics 520 - 2 GB DDR3L


They do go up in value from 1 to 2 (+£100) 2 to 3 (+50).

So what do you think I'm limited to were I can buy so these options unless I spend over £800 which I dont want to.


Please help ASAP!




I just bought a Dell Inspiron 11 6th generation i3-6100U 11.6" to take with me to fanfest and for times when traveling with the MSI apache I own is unfeasible (trains, smaller planes)

I have played around with it at home, with low settings and post processing off I can get a very respectable stable 60fps almost all the time, and 30fps in fleets (Cormorants of course).

The new 6th generation intel integrated graphics can play eve well all the way down to the N series Celeron equivalents



I use Dell M6800 32gb i7-4910MQ. Weighs a bloody ton Shocked



That is the beauty of the 6th gen Intels, under 4 pounds (2kilo) and smaller than a piece of standard copy paper :D

But unless you are going to try and play The Division on it, you are fine. I load mine with Rocket League, Civ V, Eve Online, Gal Civ III and my "work" stuff :D
Pix Severus
Empty You
#14 - 2016-03-13 13:07:47 UTC

  • Laptop
  • Gaming


Choose one.

MTU Hunter: Latest Entry - June 12 2017 - Vocal Local 5

MTU Hunting 101: Comprehensive Guide

Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#15 - 2016-03-13 13:30:08 UTC
Pix Severus wrote:

  • Laptop
  • Gaming


Choose one.

Even though I do agree with you, I don't think traveling with a desktop is an option for the OP Bear

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Red Noggin
M4gnum P.I.
#16 - 2016-03-13 14:17:14 UTC
I do agree but moving a desk top around the word maybe a bit hard.....

So a laptop to play eve is all I'm after really.
Mishra San
#17 - 2016-03-13 14:32:04 UTC
ASUS ROG Line of Laptops.
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#18 - 2016-03-13 18:33:45 UTC
Pretty much anything new will play eve even at high graphics. But if you want to have the graphics high you will need to worry about heat dissipation. My Asus Prime ultrabook can play at high, just not for long because ultra-books have minimal heat dissipation.

There are actual gaming laptops. I have a GS60 since I spent the last 5 years as a sailor and needed something portable. The GS60 is actually a bit too thin so I wouldn't recommend it specifically.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Aquiileia
Mors et Vectigalia
#19 - 2016-03-14 05:58:47 UTC
I second the ASUS ROG line.
I used to have the best Alienware on the market and it was garbage. After 3 replacements, Dell let me return it for a refund. I bought an ASUS ROG laptop and not only does it look great, it runs anything beautifully and was only $1,500.

I love it.
Uppsy Daisy
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2016-03-14 12:35:43 UTC
I have the HP Envy. It's fine for EVE.

Also - it has a sneaky internal M.2 slot for an SSD that you can use. I bought a Samsung 950 Pro and it slotted in fine without any hassle.

Putting the operating system on there made the whole thing fly along.

Laptop's without SSDs are rubbish IMO.

12Next page