These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Changing NPC taxes

First post
Author
Tarojan
Tarojan Corporation
#861 - 2016-03-12 08:14:17 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
I love the schizophrenic nature of those opposed to this change.

On the one hand Goons, PL, and all the rest are gong to capture vast economic rents by setting up trade citadels and...not letting everyone in but only a select few.

Then they'll troll the crap out of anyone they do let in by locking in their stuff.

And despite these lower prices the NS Powers will be charging prices are going to go up by 6-7%.

Lots of traders will exit the markets, resulting in even higher prices, and thus profits. But those higher profits won't induce entry into the trading markets.

Here is an idea. Maybe you guys who are so virulently opposed to this idea....you can huddle up and come up some coherent reasons to oppose this change.

Your being disingenuous. No surprise there. Firstly the new "jita citidel" will probably be put in perimeter.
The 7% figure I'm assuming comes from those people who think trade will remain in npc stations. which it won't as the majority of trade comes froms a miniority of players. When most of the buy orders for highsec ore are in Goonograd_perimeter and not jita, when the sell orders of all the tengus and moogoo are there, then the trade goes there.

So now we have the goons/pl/sma selling and buying their stuff in their citidels far cheaper then in the npc stations. At this point its not about lets get more people paying our taxes for us. Sure they could do that as Gevlon points out. Make vast tons of ISK. then do what with it?

What I think MAY happen is besides how funny it will be to troll the highsec carebears is that Mittani opens a new highsec renters alliance. Lets call it goonbears. Now if you join goonbears you get taxed at 10% same as an npc corp, but we will let you use goonograd in perimeter. oh and you will also be mocked regulary. By everyone.

Hows that for an idea then huh? all the highsec miners/missioners and traders forced to kneel to their new null sec overlords.

Will gank for food

Sir Lanfear
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#862 - 2016-03-12 08:34:44 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

• Broker's fee formula with skills and standings: currently with max skills and NPC standings you can reduce the brokers' fee by 0.7-0.8%. We will modify skills and standings to decrease the tax by 1.5% and also change them from being percentage based to a flat reduction.

• I'm not going to argue the changes, however it would be nice if you gave each player a one-time option to reset faction/npc standings. Most of us increased standings for highsec anchoring and tax/broker benefits. So now I have high faction standings that do nothing, and negative faction standings that are a considerable nuisance.
    CJ 'Husky' Ulmarck
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #863 - 2016-03-12 08:37:09 UTC
    Been playing for several months (have around 10mil SP) and I'm gonna break my post virginity here.

I really, really, REALLY don't like the cost to use Jump Clones. I don't really mind so much the cost to set up a jump clone, but to USE one? No thank you.

For an example here (and this might seem off topic, but stick with me), let's look at this from the perspective of fitting Citadels like ships. We have two types of modules:
    1) Resistance Amp
    2) Resistance Hardener

When we use an Amp, the ship gets a CONSTANT, PASSIVE bonus. This only needs fitting and doesn't use cap.
    When we use a Hardener, this gives the ship a considerably greater bonus which can be overheated, but uses cap as a resource to function.

Look at the Jump Clone Service mod like it's an Amp. This gives a constant service (being able to store and use JCs) but DOESN'T NEED TO USE FUEL. Not every service module NEEDS to use fuel. Some can just be simple resistance amps. They still take up a slot that could be used by something else. They don't need to be overheated to squeeze out their full effectiveness. I could still, as a Citadel owner, get paid the setup fee even if the JC is moved somewhere else.

Now, look at something like a Small Ship Assembly Array as a Hardener. It gives a distinct bonus over time while using resources. I get more benefit by overheating (using as many slots as possible) but if I don't have fuel then it shuts off.

You're just trying to make a fee so that it is possible for a Citadel owner to recoup the fuel costs for the service mod when that service mod doesn't even need to cost fuel in the first place.
    Sir Lanfear
    Hedion University
    Amarr Empire
    #864 - 2016-03-12 08:57:28 UTC
    Tarojan wrote:

Hows that for an idea then huh? all the highsec miners/missioners and traders forced to kneel to their new null sec overlords.

You are seriously paranoid. Most highsec dwellers don't trust people like Goons, so don't be surprised if they don't use their market hubs. If Goons try to corner a market in their little citadel, then buy orders will increase in neighboring Jita, and other suppliers will fill that void, thereby decreasing the market activity for the citadel. I'd give your scenario a good 2 days before it fell apart. Maybe a week if they went for broke and purchased every reasonable market order available in Jita without relisting anything.
    Tarojan
    Tarojan Corporation
    #865 - 2016-03-12 09:29:46 UTC
    Sir Lanfear wrote:
    Tarojan wrote:

You are seriously paranoid. Most highsec dwellers don't trust people like Goons, so don't be surprised if they don't use their market hubs. If Goons try to corner a market in their little citadel, then buy orders will increase in neighboring Jita, and other suppliers will fill that void, thereby decreasing the market activity for the citadel. I'd give your scenario a good 2 days before it fell apart. Maybe a week if they went for broke and purchased every reasonable market order available in Jita without relisting anything.

Yeah... your not following the argument. Thats one of the problems I guess with the meat of the debate being had over several forums and blogs.

Look 10% of the player base do around 90% of the trading ok? you got your big null sec guys, you got your fw guys doing the faction modules, wormholers doing the PI, etc. You also have the station traders, many of whom are alts of nul seccers. Now when a null sec citadel goes up in perimeter you can either use it or stay in jita and pay x% more. So the null sec guys set their buy sell orders there. they move their trader alts over there. The faction loot gets sold there and the big manufacters of everything from tengus to frigates to dc2s ship them there and sell them. If your a miner? thats where the best and most active sell orders are and so on, so forth.

At this point jita dies. Oh sure theres still gonna be some people trading there. Same as I can buy stuff over in Jouvelen or rens, but can I buy a kronos or a golem, switch to my fitting screen, select my mission 4 fit and just hit buy fittings? not like now. People will pay for convenience, people travel across whole regions to get to jita for that convenience. So they will use the new citadel in perimeter. If the Mittanis price for using that citadel is a 2% tax? they will pay it and if his price is they kneel? well they gonna pay that too. They going to have too or leave cal space and goto Pls citadel in their part of highsec.

Will gank for food

Sgt Ocker
    What Corp is it
    #866 - 2016-03-12 09:46:11 UTC
    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Sgt Ocker wrote:
    Really Lucas, there are literally thousands of items on the market that have minimal (under 10%) returns now and with a 3.5% brokers fee + transaction fees, those items become not worth listing. Yet those same items are the ones that keep the markets ticking over. With good skills and standings those cheap minimal profit items are pretty good income - Double npc taxes and add new broker fees, they are no longer viable items. Halving the profit for smaller traders is removing them from trading.
    And of course TQ needs more monopolies, especially in trading. At that point buying things in new eden becomes extortion rather than free trade.

There is an inherent contradiction in here I'm afraid. First you point out that some goods are so aggressively traded the profit margin is low. So smaller traders will exit the market and then with less competition prices will rise dramatically....which should prompt traders to enter the market and drop prices back down.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

You either missed the boat or simply didn't understand my comment.
    I wasn't talking about high volume sales, I was talking about the things traders with less isk trade and make a living from. Those just starting out, unlike the Lucas's of the game not everyone has more isk than they need (his words not mine) and have to start out trading cheap items with little markup.

No small time trader is going to be making a living off trading trit for example.

Many of them trade meta items that have a slightly better than zero return on them. Many of those items will not be worth listing once cost to sell is increased, simply because there is not enough margin in them to make it viable.

And your right, for the small time trader just starting out, CCP is removing the cake so they won't get to eat it.

So, mind telling me where the contradiction is?

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Sgt Ocker
    What Corp is it
    #867 - 2016-03-12 10:08:22 UTC
    Tarojan wrote:
    Working as intended by CCP.

It is a shame Devs and CCP haven't learnt from previous mistakes when it comes to dominating groups holding monopolies. Some I guess are just slow learners.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

baltec1
    Bat Country
    Pandemic Horde
    #868 - 2016-03-12 10:41:23 UTC
    Petrified wrote:

True, but given the volume of trade conducted in Jita alone, compared to anywhere else, its not an unattractive number. Whatever the number is, however, would it be high enough to entice rivals to put aside differences and come to an agreement to not threaten each others' market Citadels?

Doubt it. I don't even think jita will be abandoned.
    Sgt Ocker
    What Corp is it
    #869 - 2016-03-12 10:46:29 UTC
    Sir Lanfear wrote:
    Tarojan wrote:

You are seriously paranoid.. Maybe a week if they went for broke and purchased every reasonable market order available in Jita without relisting anything.
    Or are you not paranoid enough?

What if all it took was for the traders belonging to those groups to cancel sell and buy orders. They would have to "buy" very little.

My opinions are mine.

Gevlon Goblin
    Science and Trade Institute
    Caldari State
    #870 - 2016-03-12 11:17:43 UTC
    The main problem is that if citadels were introduced with EVE and the NPC broker fee was always so high, the big hubs were never formed at the first place. Little guys would use small local citadels operated by the local power, each serving a close proximity, if they'd overextend, someone big would siege them. The inter-hub trading were done by professionals who avoid taxes by direct trades, contracts, maybe even corp hangars. Simply everyone relevant would know to convo Adam Adams if you have 1B+ ores to sell or buy and he'll give you a good price. Without large hubs, there would be nothing to hijack by Goons and PL.

Due to the low fees, and no citadels it became possible to use the market feature for everyone. Then, when everyone is used to go to Jita/Amarr... when he has products to sell or a new ship to buy, CCP rises the taxes and make it possible that huge nullsec powers collect the trade. Sure, people will adapt, local hubs will rise corps will start ore buyback on contracts and so on, so in a year or two the Goon/PL Perimiter hub became abandoned. But until it happens they make about 500T... more ISK than all ship destruction in a year.

It's like CCP announce that from now on Titan doomsdays will need Slaver Hounds as ammo and create a convoluted production method to make Slaver Hounds for about 100M each. In a few months the production lines build and things go smoothly. In the meantime, Joe Somebody who happened to have 10000 Slaver Hounds made 10T out of nothing. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Somebody's alliance mates on CSM. If there is a new feature and Goons+PL take it like Tech Moons, the more power to them. But CCP shouldn't hand existing things over to them.

My blog: greedygoblin.blogspot.com

Sgt Ocker
    What Corp is it
    #871 - 2016-03-12 14:44:56 UTC
    Lucas Kell wrote:
    wrote a lot of multi quoting crap that you can't reply to because he maxes out quotes to make sure..

It really doesn't matter what possible benefits there may be to using Citadels as markets, when like anything player run in this game they will be so open to manipulation and scamming, by the owners.

A few what if's -
    Does ccp have a plan for if / when too many Xlarge market Citadels die and no-one is prepared to spend a hundred billion plus each time building more?

What about the owners who after being harassed for months just decide it isn't worth the effort and pull them down, leaving only the well known scamming and thieving groups with a monopoly?

Have CCP even taken into account the type of people who play eve

My opinions are mine.

baltec1
    Bat Country
    Pandemic Horde
    #872 - 2016-03-12 15:09:09 UTC
    Sgt Ocker wrote:
    Lucas Kell wrote:
    wrote a lot of multi quoting crap that you can't reply to because he maxes out quotes to make sure..

It really doesn't matter what possible benefits there may be to using Citadels as markets, when like anything player run in this game they will be so open to manipulation and scamming, by the owners.

A few what if's -
    Does ccp have a plan for if / when too many Xlarge market Citadels die and no-one is prepared to spend a hundred billion plus each time building more?

What about the owners who after being harassed for months just decide it isn't worth the effort and pull them down, leaving only the well known scamming and thieving groups with a monopoly?

Have CCP even taken into account the type of people who play eve

Same mechanics as a POS but more firepower. People will use them.
    Lucas Kell
    Solitude Trading
    S.N.O.T.
    #873 - 2016-03-12 15:20:22 UTC
    Tarojan wrote:
    Your being disingenuous. No surprise there. Firstly the new "jita citidel" will probably be put in perimeter.
    The 7% figure I'm assuming comes from those people who think trade will remain in npc stations. which it won't as the majority of trade comes froms a miniority of players. When most of the buy orders for highsec ore are in Goonograd_perimeter and not jita, when the sell orders of all the tengus and moogoo are there, then the trade goes there.

So now we have the goons/pl/sma selling and buying their stuff in their citidels far cheaper then in the npc stations. At this point its not about lets get more people paying our taxes for us. Sure they could do that as Gevlon points out. Make vast tons of ISK. then do what with it?

What I think MAY happen is besides how funny it will be to troll the highsec carebears is that Mittani opens a new highsec renters alliance. Lets call it goonbears. Now if you join goonbears you get taxed at 10% same as an npc corp, but we will let you use goonograd in perimeter. oh and you will also be mocked regulary. By everyone.

If highlighted the word you guys repeatedly get wrong. Noone will be forced to do anything, they will either choose to trade in a citadel or they won't. I can guarantee that if a miner wanted to sell his ore and stuck it up at a reasonable price in Jita, it'd sell. Hell, even if he's got terrible trade skills, if the market price were set in a 0% tax citadel and he cut his net price by just 5% (so the price of the items is the same in the citadel he's just paying 5% fees), it'd sell just as easily.

Alternatively you'd just have one single trade alt in "goonbears" and you just ship stuff between the citadel and the station.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
    Solitude Trading
    S.N.O.T.
    #874 - 2016-03-12 15:32:25 UTC
    Sgt Ocker wrote:
    I wasn't talking about high volume sales, I was talking about the things traders with less isk trade and make a living from. Those just starting out, unlike the Lucas's of the game not everyone has more isk than they need (his words not mine) and have to start out trading cheap items with little markup.

No small time trader is going to be making a living off trading trit for example.

Many of them trade meta items that have a slightly better than zero return on them. Many of those items will not be worth listing once cost to sell is increased, simply because there is not enough margin in them to make it viable.

And your right, for the small time trader just starting out, CCP is removing the cake so they won't get to eat it.

This thing you miss though is that the margin on those items is small because a large number of people trade them. When the margin hits zero they stop trading them and the margin increases. If the fees increase, the gap between buy and sell will increase until there is a non zero margin, then the exact same thing will occur again, people will trade with a small net margin.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    What manipulation and scamming? The worst they can do is lock you out of your goods and you just click a button and the system relocates them to a station for you and you learn not to use that groups citadels again.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    I can't imagine it happening since citadels will earn them ISK, and currently people lose titans and replace them and they pretty much get used for the jump bridges, so I don;t see people just not using them. I imagine if they did though CCP would change the defense mechanics and/or add more benefits to using them.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    So basically "what if the weak give up and the strong thrive"? Well that's just the way of things. If other groups are so weak they jut give up and don't fight back then they don't really deserve a citadel anyway. The response is pretty much covered in the HTFU video.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

epicurus ataraxia
    Illusion of Solitude.
    Illusion of Solitude
    #875 - 2016-03-12 18:05:41 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
    Lucas Kell wrote:
    Sgt Ocker wrote:

This thing you miss though is that the margin on those items is small because a large number of people trade them. When the margin hits zero they stop trading them and the margin increases. If the fees increase, the gap between buy and sell will increase until there is a non zero margin, then the exact same thing will occur again, people will trade with a small net margin.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    What manipulation and scamming? The worst they can do is lock you out of your goods and you just click a button and the system relocates them to a station for you and you learn not to use that groups citadels again.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    I can't imagine it happening since citadels will earn them ISK, and currently people lose titans and replace them and they pretty much get used for the jump bridges, so I don;t see people just not using them. I imagine if they did though CCP would change the defense mechanics and/or add more benefits to using them.

Sgt Ocker wrote:
    So basically "what if the weak give up and the strong thrive"? Well that's just the way of things. If other groups are so weak they jut give up and don't fight back then they don't really deserve a citadel anyway. The response is pretty much covered in the HTFU video.

I do point out that the song was a humorous parody and a self referencing and depreciating song, It may have reflected the view at the time, but the world moves on, people grow up and mature.

Imagine some of the things that people say and do drunk, It's horrid if that gets quoted back at you forever.........

It was never meant as a religious document, or a declaration of rights for the EVE universe, for future generations, it was a bit of fun.

But hey, people believe in the flying spaghetti monster, who am I to judge.

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Rob Kaichin
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #876 - 2016-03-12 18:10:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
    Man, and the discussion was going so well earlier.

First off, the volume of ISK being traded can be found in the February Economic Newsletter/Devblog published by CCP Quant. The Forge has ~700 Trillion, which is basically Jita.

Secondly, (and I thought we'd agreed on this) Lucas, you agree that 0% and 0.9% are different, right? And that the attraction of being able to set taxes lower than current NPC taxes will be a pull factor for usage, right?

If so, please stop saying that without NPC tax rises, it'll be impossible to get people to use Citadels. Thank you :).

Thirdly, I thought we'd talked about the impact of NPC tax rises being this:

• Initially decreased trading volume due to low-no profit margins
    • Increased barrier to entry for new traders, as standings and skill become required
    • Exit of Market Makers (who in Eve are market traders) due to decreased trading volume (which means decreased income)
    • Stratification and decreased liquidity due to exit of station traders
    • 3 month (at least) drag on markets as people who list all items before changes have a competitive advantage over other in NPC stations

I think that is most of the impacts covered.

Finally, (and this is more philosophical),
    Quote:

So basically "what if the weak give up and the strong thrive"? Well that's just the way of things

In real life, there's an incentive not to kill yourself: you keep on experiencing. In Eve, if you make things unrewarding/punishing, people can leave without cost.

If the weak give up, the strong can't play Eve. :P
    epicurus ataraxia
    Illusion of Solitude.
    Illusion of Solitude
    #877 - 2016-03-12 18:21:05 UTC  |  Edited by: epicurus ataraxia
    You do raise a very good point, there are many things to do in eve, but with time, many become repetitive.
    When one adds mechanics that make life less enjoyable, and uses that deliberately to drive people into new activities, there is a sort of balancing logic there, the pain needs to be very short, so one can see the hope of a better game quickly.

It is a really hard balance to achieve, but If life is significantly better in the new mechanics playspace, short term disruption is overtaken by the improved experience.

Now we get to the problem.
    If the pain persists over a longer period, and if the PERCEPTION of the new playspace is worse, the reduction in satisfaction, and with no immidiate hope, this overtakes the sensation of sunk cost, and players stick a few plex aside, and go and do something more enjoyable, until the end of the roadmap is reached, as the journey itself is no longer enjoyable, maybe they will resub in a years time to see what the destination looks like.

This is what can happen when you use Punishment as a driving mechanic in a game, especially when it persists, it is best to remember it is a game, not a contract of servitude.

If you really are committed to use Punishment to achieve your goals, Make it short, and sharp, and flood the release with good stuff to distract from the pain, so we can put it behind us.

For Gods sake, make it feel like standing on a nail until we move, not like giving us arthritis!

There is one EvE. Many people. Many lifestyles. WE are EvE

Teckos Pech
    Hogyoku
    Goonswarm Federation
    #878 - 2016-03-12 19:01:08 UTC
    Tarojan wrote:
    Teckos Pech wrote:
    I love the schizophrenic nature of those opposed to this change.

On the one hand Goons, PL, and all the rest are gong to capture vast economic rents by setting up trade citadels and...not letting everyone in but only a select few.

Then they'll troll the crap out of anyone they do let in by locking in their stuff.

And despite these lower prices the NS Powers will be charging prices are going to go up by 6-7%.

Lots of traders will exit the markets, resulting in even higher prices, and thus profits. But those higher profits won't induce entry into the trading markets.

Here is an idea. Maybe you guys who are so virulently opposed to this idea....you can huddle up and come up some coherent reasons to oppose this change.

Yeah, but it is not Jita. There is nothing preventing a person or a group of persons from setting up in Perimeter right now. Drop your prices a bit and save people a jump to one of the systems with the highest ship loss counts in the game day-in-day-out. But it does not happen. Why is there so such coalition of traders the can siphon of a bunch of ISK into their pockets? Well?

As for the 7% the problem is that a tax increase is only born entirely by the seller when the good in question is perfectly price inelastic. That is a very, very restrictive assumption, hence total Bravo Sierra. There maybe price increases, but not that large.

Second it is a permanent effect. It is not likely to cause some cascade effect. It might, but I'd like to see the mechanism for this cascade mapped out.

As for Goons and the Imperium: hint, they could have done this quite easily in....wait....wait....NS where most of us live and prefer to live. So this notion that Goons will set up a super discount citadel in Perimeter or some such is just errant foolishness. Please show us this business plan and how it will work. Where, for example, will Goons, et. al. get the Stuff™ to go in this WalMart Citadel? Hmmmm?

As for letting in people who are not Goons then mocking them endlessly, yes because that is such an awesome way to increase your customer/tax base. **** all over these people and they'll stay because :reasons:.

Even when Goons tried to run a POCO empire they set the taxes at a reasonable level...why? They wanted people to use the fraking moons. Nobody using the moons, no taxes revenues.

Here let me help you with some math:

0 times any number is....still 0.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
    Hogyoku
    Goonswarm Federation
    #879 - 2016-03-12 19:02:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
    Tarojan wrote:
    Look 10% of the player base do around 90% of the trading ok?

No, not okay. Where does that number come from? Source please.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
    Hogyoku
    Goonswarm Federation
    #880 - 2016-03-12 19:11:02 UTC
    Sgt Ocker wrote:
    Teckos Pech wrote:
    Sgt Ocker wrote:
    Really Lucas, there are literally thousands of items on the market that have minimal (under 10%) returns now and with a 3.5% brokers fee + transaction fees, those items become not worth listing. Yet those same items are the ones that keep the markets ticking over. With good skills and standings those cheap minimal profit items are pretty good income - Double npc taxes and add new broker fees, they are no longer viable items. Halving the profit for smaller traders is removing them from trading.
    And of course TQ needs more monopolies, especially in trading. At that point buying things in new eden becomes extortion rather than free trade.

There is an inherent contradiction in here I'm afraid. First you point out that some goods are so aggressively traded the profit margin is low. So smaller traders will exit the market and then with less competition prices will rise dramatically....which should prompt traders to enter the market and drop prices back down.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

I don't care, the point still remains. You have in inherent contradiction in there. You can't have traders driven out then the reduced competition driving prices sky high without entry by new traders at that point (or even old traders coming back). That is exactly what you wrote. You wrote,

Quote:
    With good skills and standings those cheap minimal profit items are pretty good income - Double npc taxes and add new broker fees, they are no longer viable items. Halving the profit for smaller traders is removing them from trading.

Seems pretty clear that you saw the exit of traders in certain items leading to "monopolies" (another hint, monopolies tend to need some sort of exogenous support such as a government preventing entry into the market in question to survive long).

Further, competition is price competition, as in the sense of Bertrand. That is prices cannot stay elevated for long with even a few traders as the ONLY dimension they can compete on is price. That is just a small number of traders will continuously drive prices down.