These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Upcoming Feature and Change Feedback Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Citadels] Changing NPC taxes

First post
Author
motie one
Secret Passage
#661 - 2016-03-10 15:33:47 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:
It's worth pointing out that the attraction of insects to vinegar or sugar has, so far as I know, not been studied. (Or if it has, I can't see the paper.)

However, a more appropriate aphorism would be "You catch more flies with **** than vinegar." (A far more observable thing.)

The point being that flies like ****. Ask an Eve player if they like to be punished, and the answer is a resounding no.

And I think Pedro has decided to ignore me RollLol

Sometimes you need to punish. People will not leave the safety of NPC stations even with this tax, you need a rather large difference to get people to give up on huge safety.

I agree, sometimes you need to punish, but as a method of controlling "staff" children and most rational human beings, it has somewhat fallen out of favour.

Now some may regret the days when whipping one's staff was an acceptable activity, and regard child services as interfering busybodies, but call it what one will, there will be understandable resistiance, and many unhappy people.

But it shouldn't be a problem, we can always breed more.

No?
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#662 - 2016-03-10 15:36:06 UTC
It is the deep end, sure, but there is a point somewhere between 0 and 100 million that counts as 'an appropriate incentive' to use Citadels.

I'd like to see where you'd place it.
motie one
Secret Passage
#663 - 2016-03-10 15:36:41 UTC  |  Edited by: motie one
Rob Kaichin wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Sometimes you need to punish. People will not leave the safety of NPC stations even with this tax, you need a rather large difference to get people to give up on huge safety.

I think we should forbid people docking in NPC stations if they have a negative faction standing, corp standing or security status. I think NPC stations should be forbidden to people who hold sovereignty. I think if your corporation standings to a faction are negative, you shouldn't be able to interact with anything in their space.

All of these are punishments that would force people to move to Citadels. All of them will be condemned roundly, I imagine, by Code. and null-sec alliances for being 'anti-sandbox'.

Wow, you are of course right, and once the pricing method crashes and burns, as it will eventually, the tax cannot really rise beyond a certain level after all,that may be the only Stick left to play, of course it is more than a stick, more like a spiked club, but HTFU right?

Or make the citadels desireable and fun? But that is too simple it seems.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#664 - 2016-03-10 15:38:59 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Have you tried Planetside 2?

It's actualy pretty good now. The time they've had to adapt to player feedback has really improved the game. Not to mention the introduction of new content which is designed around player feedback and the regular balancing passes they take.

It's worth a look, I promise.

It even has the official TheMittani(tm) seal of approval for being "The best"(tm)...

Before the ISD's stomp on it:

Player feedback improves the game.

New content which is designed around player feed back improves the game.

Balancing is nice, good job with Module Tiercide.

Look, I have to agree with Baltec1, you're a bit off kilter right now. I don't mean that in a demeaning way, I'm just saying when you wake up tomorrow you'll probably look at your own posts and shift uncomfortably in your chair while muttering to yourself, "Yeah, that was a bit much".

Back on topic, I think the discussion about the trading fees has been a bit enlightening. There may be a lot of possibility yet, and I don't think anybody is going to have an established trade hub citadel anytime soon, so for now everyone is still going to be playing on an even field. I think there's a lot of promise.

However I still think taxing jump clones, even for 900k isk, is ignorant. Taxing jump clones doesn't create an incentive to push people into citadels. I stand by my idea that location is something you could sell for storing your jump clone at a citadel. Short version of the idea for those of you just tuning in - the basic version is this...new system makes it so you can only jump clone away when a medibay is present in the station/citadel to take care of your clone while you're not in it. Then, dramatically limit which stations actually have them, keep them far apart from each other (mostly), and definitely away from trade and mission hubs. That way, what citadels can sell as a place for your jump clone is location. Location, location, location.

Yes, my idea heavily nerfs current jump clones more than a petty isk sink, but I think it opens up jump clones (and their storage) to be a much more interesting dynamic in this game, and something that DEFINITELY incentivizes people to seek out citadels to call home, especially if you can pair a decent market with jump clone storage. I feel that's a winning combination and it doesn't needlessly tax people, it merely limits what their options are. I think that's fair.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#665 - 2016-03-10 15:40:27 UTC
motie one wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:
It's worth pointing out that the attraction of insects to vinegar or sugar has, so far as I know, not been studied. (Or if it has, I can't see the paper.)

However, a more appropriate aphorism would be "You catch more flies with **** than vinegar." (A far more observable thing.)

The point being that flies like ****. Ask an Eve player if they like to be punished, and the answer is a resounding no.

And I think Pedro has decided to ignore me RollLol

I agree, sometimes you need to punish, but as a method of controlling "staff" children and most rational human beings, it has somewhat fallen out of favour.

Now some may regret the days when whipping one's staff was an acceptable activity, and regard child services as interfering busybodies, but call it what one will, there will be understandable resistiance, and many unhappy people.

But it shouldn't be a problem, we can always breed more.

No?

You could stop labeling it as a punishment and call it a new baseline with potential benefits if you are willing to take a risk over the current statu quo of assets being always safe and available in NPC stations. If you view every single nerf as a punishment, you will always get in trouble when trying to balance stuff. They are not punishing station users. Most people would not see it as a punishment if they taxes had been that high at launch years ago but they are not used to the extremely low tax rate and see an increase. It was just too low all along.
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#666 - 2016-03-10 15:47:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
Ah, no, you're right.

Well, not about the shifting uncomfortably, but the off kilter stuff.

What I'm trying to do, albeit badly, is find an equivalent 'incentive' that makes them react as hostilely as I do. I know that the things I'm suggesting are deeply unpopular for them to read, but I'm hoping they'll pick a number so they can consider the idea.

If it turns out that a 10% price increase is what we're going to see if we trade in NPC stations, we could look at what equivalent cost that would be for docking in NPC stations. An incentive to use Citadels doesn't just have to focus on raising money from 'pubbies', they can raise money on 'the good guys' too.

Edit: I fully expect to see that whole series of posts deleted. After all, it can't be a threadnaught if there isn't a post on page 16 which says "I've removed half of the posts for rule violations, sincerely ISD pissed off".
motie one
Secret Passage
#667 - 2016-03-10 15:48:01 UTC  |  Edited by: motie one
Khan Wrenth wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:

It's actualy pretty good now. The time they've had to adapt to player feedback has really improved the game. Not to mention the introduction of new content which is designed around player feedback and the regular balancing passes they take.

It even has the official TheMittani(tm) seal of approval for being "The best"(tm)...

Look, I have to agree with Baltec1, you're a bit off kilter right now. I don't mean that in a demeaning way, I'm just saying when you wake up tomorrow you'll probably look at your own posts and shift uncomfortably in your chair while muttering to yourself, "Yeah, that was a bit much".

Back on topic, I think the discussion about the trading fees has been a bit enlightening. There may be a lot of possibility yet, and I don't think anybody is going to have an established trade hub citadel anytime soon, so for now everyone is still going to be playing on an even field. I think there's a lot of promise.

However I still think taxing jump clones, even for 900k isk, is ignorant. Taxing jump clones doesn't create an incentive to push people into citadels. I stand by my idea that location is something you could sell for storing your jump clone at a citadel. Short version of the idea for those of you just tuning in - the basic version is this...new system makes it so you can only jump clone away when a medibay is present in the station/citadel to take care of your clone while you're not in it. Then, dramatically limit which stations actually have them, keep them far apart from each other (mostly), and definitely away from trade and mission hubs. That way, what citadels can sell as a place for your jump clone is location. Location, location, location.

Yes, my idea heavily nerfs current jump clones more than a petty isk sink, but I think it opens up jump clones (and their storage) to be a much more interesting dynamic in this game, and something that DEFINITELY incentivizes people to seek out citadels to call home, especially if you can pair a decent market with jump clone storage. I feel that's a winning combination and it doesn't needlessly tax people, it merely limits what their options are. I think that's fair.

We are in a situation, that is really just going to go downhill fast.

Punishment as a motivator, unequivocally works, history shows us this, but minor punishments are more annoying and unpleasant than effective.

IF CCP decide to go down this route, they need to embrace it fully, anything else just will not work and we will see ever escalating punishments being applied, until they have completely destroyed all they are working for.

To make this work purely through punishment, they need to make it impossible for non favoured clients to use NPC stations, Remove docking for anyone who is not positive for the faction in all space, Hs LS and Null, remove all services, jump clones, medical services, selling to the market, engineering and repair, insurance, and higher level agents for non favoured clients, only positive standing with the station owners will allow access to any of these services.

Then they will achieve their goal, and only then.
However they may or may not have either a game or customer base at the end of it. At least they failed honestly.

But worse is the drip, drip, drip, that will not achieve the ends either, and customers will just walk away, due to the fact that people might suck it up if a single event, but not for the long term annoyance. Do it once and some will just take it and carry on playing.

Of course one could encourage people to use citadels, because they are fun instead?
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#668 - 2016-03-10 15:49:26 UTC
Khan Wrenth wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:

I'm not saying your idea is necessarily bad but if the people mad at tax increase are going with that, it means they'd rather not get poked in their trading even if it means everyone get a swift kick in the teeth for jump clone usage.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#669 - 2016-03-10 15:55:49 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:
Ah, no, you're right.

Well, not about the shifting uncomfortably, but the off kilter stuff.

What I'm trying to do, albeit badly, is find an equivalent 'incentive' that makes them react as hostilely as I do. I know that the things I'm suggesting are deeply unpopular for them to read, but I'm hoping they'll pick a number so they can consider the idea.

If it turns out that a 10% price increase is what we're going to see if we trade in NPC stations, we could look at what equivalent cost that would be for docking in NPC stations. An incentive to use Citadels doesn't just have to focus on raising money from 'pubbies', they can raise money on 'the good guys' too.

Edit: I fully expect to see that whole series of posts deleted. After all, it can't be a threadnaught if there isn't a post on page 16 which says "I've removed half of the posts for rule violations, sincerely ISD pissed off".

If you are trying to counter gankers with a docking fee, they can set their death clone in that station and SD their pods after a kill to dodge the fee.
Khan Wrenth
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#670 - 2016-03-10 15:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Khan Wrenth
Frostys Virpio wrote:
I'm not saying your idea is necessarily bad but if the people mad at tax increase are going with that, it means they'd rather not get poked in their trading even if it means everyone get a swift kick in the teeth for jump clone usage.

Speaking purely for myself of course, I'd be willing to get kicked in the teeth for more interesting content. As I said earlier, the jump clone tax seems to be done out of pettiness because it doesn't accomplish anything, doesn't change the system at all, and simply isk sinks. Okay, fine, arguments to be made about isk sinks needed, but the game has not been made more interesting for all the fuss.

Whereas my idea makes jump clone usage more interesting (again, purely from my perspective). And yes, if I had to choose between being backhanded every few days for no reason, verses getting kicked square in the teeth once for more interesting gameplay, I'll choose the kick to the teeth. I stated that I believe this would provide a genuine incentive for people to use citadels. I believe that, and I want people to use citadels. I want to use citadels. Jump clone taxes, however I do not believe accomplish that, and then I'm simply being backhanded for no reason.

Edit:

I would liken this idea to the jump fatigue nerf. Yes, capital pilots got kicked in the teeth, but it made the game more interesting and opened up content for people across null and lowsec. Heck, it even (in a small way) opened up more content for those same capital pilots (at least those of smaller corps) because they had less fears about counter-dropping.

Yes, if I had to liken my idea to something, it would be to that. Yes, jump fatigue was unpopular, but it opened up a lot of possibilities. I wish that we could do this for jump clones.
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#671 - 2016-03-10 16:00:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
Ok, then you can't set your home station to a station you can't dock in.

(As it is with player outposts, I recall.)

The idea isn't to focus onto docking fees, it's to find an incentive which the advocates of the change don't wish to see, but CCP could plausibly propose and their arguments apply to.

I think that we're at risk of veering way off track with this, so maybe we should go back to whatever we were talking about?

How long CCP expects Citadels to remain standing, how quickly they're to be expected to recoup their costs and how many players each Citadel should support seem like good topics for us to consider in respect of the proposed changes.

I'm with Khan on the need for interesting choices as opposed to a punishing tax.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#672 - 2016-03-10 16:00:05 UTC
motie one wrote:

Of course one could encourage people to use citadels, because they are fun instead?

How do you plan on making them "fun" when they are supposed to be player owned station. What is gonna be fun about it? Surely you have idea of what you would find fun about them if you suggest just making them more fun instead of more efficient like different tax level would bring.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#673 - 2016-03-10 16:07:56 UTC
Rob Kaichin wrote:

The idea isn't to focus onto docking fees, it's to find an incentive which the advocates of the change don't wish to see, but CCP could plausibly propose and their arguments apply to.

I think that we're at risk of veering way off track with this, so maybe we should go back to whatever we were talking about?

How long CCP expects Citadels to remain standing, how quickly they're to be expected to recoup their costs and how many players each Citadel should support seem like good topics for us to consider in respect of the proposed changes.

I'm with Khan on the need for interesting choices as opposed to a punishing tax.

Well docking fee target certain way of playing the game while a trade tax mean everyone face the same price rise when the market adjust it's price to cover the new tax rate. Feel free to find some fee that won't be biased in their application if you want but I think taxes on the market are a good way to go.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#674 - 2016-03-10 16:09:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
motie one wrote:
Or make the citadels desireable and fun? But that is too simple it seems.

If it's too simple, then suggest your ideas.

Criteria that must be met:

- no power creep (or if it's a must, explain why this will be good for the game overall);
- affecting same categories that CCP's suggested change would affect;
- effective at moving affected people to citadel usage.

I do not really disagree, but when it comes down to practical ways, I'm not sure how should this work.
motie one
Secret Passage
#675 - 2016-03-10 16:10:00 UTC  |  Edited by: motie one
Frostys Virpio wrote:
motie one wrote:

How do you plan on making them "fun" when they are supposed to be player owned station. What is gonna be fun about it? Surely you have idea of what you would find fun about them if you suggest just making them more fun instead of more efficient like different tax level would bring.

If Citadels, are a second rate choice that needs positive discrimination, in whatever form, to make people use them, why on earth have they been created in the first place?

If they are always going to be the poor relation, or red headed step child, put them out of their misery now.

We expected them to be the place we all wanted to go, instead they have become like a holiday in the trailer park, not because they are a nice place to be, but more we cannot afford a decent holiday.

Either Burn NPC stations to the ground, or make citadels worthwhile, if you are going to act in a dictatorial manner, don't make EVE a slum in the meantime.
Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#676 - 2016-03-10 16:18:32 UTC
Couple things that looked like they needed clarification, or I'm confused about:

1) Drifter Incursions. There actually were people running these, and regularly. There was a public group running with one method, and a few more private or "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy" groups using a different method. CCP's screwup here was not making enough noise that they the incursions were back after their original failed rollout. The problem on the players' end, however, is the overwhelming prevalence of risk-averseness. This nonsense of "b-b-b-but I might lose a ship! To NPCs! I DON'T WANNA, IT'S BAD NERF IT WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!" is 100% unadulterated bullshit and needs to die in a fire, literally.

Yes, the Drifters were "hard" NPCs that did lots of DPS and had a really nasty BFG, but they weren't unstoppable and there were definitely ways to shrug away said BFG, including learning how to sigtank. The people who figured out how they worked and how to fight them effectively spent time and effort both on TQ and on Singularity poking and prodding at them and trying new things to see what worked and what didn't. The people who just wanted to put in no effort and go "oh let's farm it" got shot in the nads by CCP's countering desire for the Drifters to be hard, not-easily-farmable content.

2) I'm pretty sure clones stored in a Citadel are not recoverable when it is destroyed, considering the original planned mechanics in that regard involved the Citadel dropping corpses of players whose clones were in the station at the time it was destroyed. I've heard nothing since then about that feature. So... I'm not so sure that your clones are actually all that safe in a Citadel. Your other assets, sure. But not the clones.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#677 - 2016-03-10 16:22:24 UTC
Ytterbium breaking EVE economy once again?

About 2000% more costs for traders in jita?
Kuekuatsheu
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#678 - 2016-03-10 16:22:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuekuatsheu
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Rob Kaichin wrote:

Well docking fee target certain way of playing the game while a trade tax mean everyone face the same price rise when the market adjust it's price to cover the new tax rate. Feel free to find some fee that won't be biased in their application if you want but I think taxes on the market are a good way to go.

You are talking about station trading profit margins, which are often 5-10% of the orders value. The tax (and broker's fee) players pay on this is doubling from 3.5% to 7.5% of the orders value without skills, aka new player.

And you cant see the problem with that?

Trust a Goonie not to understand free market capitalism.

On the other hand NPC sales tax (1.5% of the orders market value) depletes 10 trillion isk a month from the economy (read that figure earlier in this thread, not sure how true it is, but that's a scary number).

So if Goons put 3 Citadels up in high-sec, 1 in Jita, 1 in Amarr and 1 in Dodixie with a 1.5% broker fee and free for all access. Then they'd corner part of the 70% of all high-sec trade that goes through those systems, netting themselves a share of 7 trillion isk a month for no effort at all.

Yer, I think I know where your motivation is... forum troll.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#679 - 2016-03-10 16:24:09 UTC
Why do people keep talking about risk when K space has 100% bulletproof automagic asset teleportation to safety?

Ironically added because people wouldn't accept the risk of no asset safety.

/chuckle

Oh and don't forget that the modules require fuel, so you're not going to get jack for "free" unless the owners are benevolent. Which is unlikely if you're not blue. You're going to get a pretty thin margin of gain after the fuelling costs.

Tbh, this is a bit like the DC changes - declare a set of changes and have their real objectives not be discussed. In that case, ganking nerf, in this case: substantially increasing isk sinks. Seems to be the way for controversial changes now, rahter than hit the criticism head on, come at it from an angle.
Rob Kaichin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#680 - 2016-03-10 16:31:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Rob Kaichin
When CCP Delegate Zero (I think) did the Wormhole Structures round table, that was one of the things I raised. It's because null-sec has outposts and thinks that things should remain as they are and changes shouldn't increase risks or costs...

Oh, how ironic.