These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Low-Sec Missioning Sucks

Author
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#1 - 2016-02-26 18:57:46 UTC
After spending the better part of the week out in low-sec I've come to the conclusion that missioning and PvE (outside of FW and DEDs at least) in low-sec, well... sucks. Finding a good L4 agent isn't an issue - and it's not even that much of a problem getting in or out of low-sec (even slipping through annoying gate camps).

The problem is that despite an approximate +50% LP and ISK payout, the rewards still suck - particularly when you take into consideration the increased risk. Bounties are identical to everywhere else, and since you're loitering around more than usual you really don't want to accept too many "clear" missions. The core issue is LP. You're more or less relegated to Faction agents or those with extremely poor ISK/LP conversion ratios (due in no small part to FW bastardizing the heck out of it), so despite the hike to the LP take you're losing all or even more of it to the horrid conversion rate - and this basically puts you on par with high-sec. In fact, I'm fairly certain even running SoE agents in the highest security systems is still more lucrative.

There are other challenges, namely that you can't really afford to risk any blingy implants or modules - so you're looking at longer mission completion times in general. There's a reason a lot of players never really venture out of high-sec, and it's not because they're necessarily risk-averse.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2016-02-26 22:06:18 UTC
I think I've stated before that the mission rewards do not scale as well as they should. Now that you have tried it in lowsec, go try it in NPC null. You will find the reward still isn't worth it.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#3 - 2016-02-26 23:14:27 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
I think I've stated before that the mission rewards do not scale as well as they should. Now that you have tried it in lowsec, go try it in NPC null. You will find the reward still isn't worth it.

Oh, I used the opportunity to give that a crack as well. NPC ratting in null is worse that watching paint dry. The only thing that breaks up the tedium is watching local and spamming D-Scan. So you're now preaching to the converted...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Makarni
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2016-02-27 00:19:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Makarni
Tbh I didn't even get that far. I tried a L4 agent with the intention of running missions in the neighboring low sec thinking alittle more risk for reward would brighten things up. When I got one and checked out the rewards and ship bounty's (assumed they would be alot higher) the logistics and added awareness involved had me decline the mission and never use that agent again. It was more risk for less reward due to added logistics.

The issue is always the same with high sec vs risk space. You expect risk space to give more reward but as soon as you get a corp/alliance locking down a corner of space 99% of that risk is gone and it's just pure reward. That in turn always spoils it for the more solo type player because the rewards have to be at such a low farm level they are not worth our risk.

An interesting change perhaps could be the scaling of reward depending on corp size. Smaller corp size = more mission/bounty reward in risk space. I suppose that mentality could apply to other parts of the game.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#5 - 2016-02-27 00:46:24 UTC
The rewards still suck because you're limited to the lowest ISK/LP Faction agents. The more players you rope into PvE activities the more you're just begging for an opposing fleet to cyno in and lay waste to everything.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#6 - 2016-02-27 05:58:12 UTC
As to the question of low sec missions sucking, the answer is "mostly" lol.

3 years ago I decided to try my hand at at 'living' in low sec just to do something new. I took my Machariel (mwd and cloak fit to trick my way past any camps) and found an out of the way minmatar low sec area with a station with 2 level 4 agents in it. Spent a day running missions. Between the stress induced by people trying to hunt me down/gate camp me and the TERRIBLE rewards (ie slightly more lp per mission than I could get in low sec), I quickly learned it wasn't worth it. I headed back to high sec and refit that mach to run incursions.

Months later I tried again, this time with a SOE low sec lvl 4 mission agent. Turns out it's in Gallente FW space, WAY to busy there

So no, low sec doesn't offer itself well to conventional mission running. Then I stumbled across this YouTube video of someone doing low sec in un-conventional fashion, I was intrigued as all hell lol. What he does is accept a few missions at once (in a place with a cluster of agents), then blitzes them in relatively cheap ships (like the Naga). He knows his stuff about converting LP as well. I tried it and with a little work, the 300 million isk per hour he claims is very close to doable.

So it's a matter of attacking the problem from a different angel like h did to make it worth while. I keep a few ships (a naga, a fleet stabbers, and an interceptor) in just such a low sec location for me to come back to incase I don't have access to null and/or don't feel like doing high sec stuff.
Imalia Bloodlines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2016-02-28 23:13:46 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
As to the question of low sec missions sucking, the answer is "mostly" lol.

3 years ago I decided to try my hand at at 'living' in low sec just to do something new. I took my Machariel (mwd and cloak fit to trick my way past any camps) and found an out of the way minmatar low sec area with a station with 2 level 4 agents in it. Spent a day running missions. Between the stress induced by people trying to hunt me down/gate camp me and the TERRIBLE rewards (ie slightly more lp per mission than I could get in low sec), I quickly learned it wasn't worth it. I headed back to high sec and refit that mach to run incursions.

Months later I tried again, this time with a SOE low sec lvl 4 mission agent. Turns out it's in Gallente FW space, WAY to busy there

So no, low sec doesn't offer itself well to conventional mission running. Then I stumbled across this YouTube video of someone doing low sec in un-conventional fashion, I was intrigued as all hell lol. What he does is accept a few missions at once (in a place with a cluster of agents), then blitzes them in relatively cheap ships (like the Naga). He knows his stuff about converting LP as well. I tried it and with a little work, the 300 million isk per hour he claims is very close to doable.

So it's a matter of attacking the problem from a different angel like h did to make it worth while. I keep a few ships (a naga, a fleet stabbers, and an interceptor) in just such a low sec location for me to come back to incase I don't have access to null and/or don't feel like doing high sec stuff.

That guy is legend. I heard so much good music from his clips lol
Imalia Bloodlines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2016-02-28 23:21:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Imalia Bloodlines
Also for the OP, I am not sure how exactly do you risk implants in low sec, as long as you aren't afk and have safe dock point.

Also, you should never clear missions in big ships, low or high sec. You should watch what that Russian is doing, he can do most profitable missions in a quick BC. Add burners to that and they wont be scanning you down.

As for gate camps, search for a more quiet/deeper system. A gate camp is usually there every day, you shouldn't be doing missions there(or anything really?).

A lone cruiser looking for a fight at gate can't catch burner frigate ships, as for BC missions, a bit of scanning will help, or just get a scout in area. Or just run burners by getting standings for cheap scout alt and pulling missions with it.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#9 - 2016-02-29 08:02:28 UTC
It would be easier to see what's going on without the Japanese pop band filling up the screen all the time. I find it akin to grating nails on a chalkboard...

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#10 - 2016-03-01 19:25:02 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
After spending the better part of the week out in low-sec I've come to the conclusion that missioning and PvE (outside of FW and DEDs at least) in low-sec, well... sucks. Finding a good L4 agent isn't an issue - and it's not even that much of a problem getting in or out of low-sec (even slipping through annoying gate camps).

The problem is that despite an approximate +50% LP and ISK payout, the rewards still suck - particularly when you take into consideration the increased risk. Bounties are identical to everywhere else, and since you're loitering around more than usual you really don't want to accept too many "clear" missions. The core issue is LP. You're more or less relegated to Faction agents or those with extremely poor ISK/LP conversion ratios (due in no small part to FW bastardizing the heck out of it), so despite the hike to the LP take you're losing all or even more of it to the horrid conversion rate - and this basically puts you on par with high-sec. In fact, I'm fairly certain even running SoE agents in the highest security systems is still more lucrative.

There are other challenges, namely that you can't really afford to risk any blingy implants or modules - so you're looking at longer mission completion times in general. There's a reason a lot of players never really venture out of high-sec, and it's not because they're necessarily risk-averse.


There are SoE-agents in LowSec, so you're wrong. There are also some Thukker-agents in LowSec, also a nice source untainted by FW.

Of course if you only go for NPC-corps with the same crap as the FW-corps in their shops, you'll suffer. The same is true for HighSec, though.
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2016-03-02 01:43:15 UTC
Owen Levanth wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
After spending the better part of the week out in low-sec I've come to the conclusion that missioning and PvE (outside of FW and DEDs at least) in low-sec, well... sucks. Finding a good L4 agent isn't an issue - and it's not even that much of a problem getting in or out of low-sec (even slipping through annoying gate camps).

The problem is that despite an approximate +50% LP and ISK payout, the rewards still suck - particularly when you take into consideration the increased risk. Bounties are identical to everywhere else, and since you're loitering around more than usual you really don't want to accept too many "clear" missions. The core issue is LP. You're more or less relegated to Faction agents or those with extremely poor ISK/LP conversion ratios (due in no small part to FW bastardizing the heck out of it), so despite the hike to the LP take you're losing all or even more of it to the horrid conversion rate - and this basically puts you on par with high-sec. In fact, I'm fairly certain even running SoE agents in the highest security systems is still more lucrative.

There are other challenges, namely that you can't really afford to risk any blingy implants or modules - so you're looking at longer mission completion times in general. There's a reason a lot of players never really venture out of high-sec, and it's not because they're necessarily risk-averse.


There are SoE-agents in LowSec, so you're wrong. There are also some Thukker-agents in LowSec, also a nice source untainted by FW.

Of course if you only go for NPC-corps with the same crap as the FW-corps in their shops, you'll suffer. The same is true for HighSec, though.


Yeah, because the SoE station in Aechee isn't camped. Roll
Garrett Osinov
Doomheim
#12 - 2016-03-03 17:59:33 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
I think I've stated before that the mission rewards do not scale as well as they should. Now that you have tried it in lowsec, go try it in NPC null. You will find the reward still isn't worth it.


Thanks god that ppl think like that....
Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2016-03-03 18:07:18 UTC
Garrett Osinov wrote:
Estella Osoka wrote:
I think I've stated before that the mission rewards do not scale as well as they should. Now that you have tried it in lowsec, go try it in NPC null. You will find the reward still isn't worth it.


Thanks god that ppl think like that....


I don't think like that. I have missioned in highsec, lowsec, and NPC nullsec. The rewards do not scale appropriately with the risk involved.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#14 - 2016-03-05 15:19:00 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
I don't think like that. I have missioned in highsec, lowsec, and NPC nullsec. The rewards do not scale appropriately with the risk involved.

They certainly do not.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Queen Padi
The Ranger's
#15 - 2016-03-06 07:48:32 UTC
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
After spending the better part of the week out in low-sec I've come to the conclusion that missioning and PvE (outside of FW and DEDs at least) in low-sec, well... sucks. Finding a good L4 agent isn't an issue - and it's not even that much of a problem getting in or out of low-sec (even slipping through annoying gate camps).

The problem is that despite an approximate +50% LP and ISK payout, the rewards still suck - particularly when you take into consideration the increased risk. Bounties are identical to everywhere else, and since you're loitering around more than usual you really don't want to accept too many "clear" missions. The core issue is LP. You're more or less relegated to Faction agents or those with extremely poor ISK/LP conversion ratios (due in no small part to FW bastardizing the heck out of it), so despite the hike to the LP take you're losing all or even more of it to the horrid conversion rate - and this basically puts you on par with high-sec. In fact, I'm fairly certain even running SoE agents in the highest security systems is still more lucrative.

There are other challenges, namely that you can't really afford to risk any blingy implants or modules - so you're looking at longer mission completion times in general. There's a reason a lot of players never really venture out of high-sec, and it's not because they're necessarily risk-averse.



Sure in high sec and null, yet run a SoE in .5 sec, like i do and the isk are great including most bounties that you can farm untill expire time is up!
Just did a lvl 4 in .7 SoE and raked in 35mil in bounties along plus it took less than 20min
Luke Skywalking
C0NC0RD Branch Office
#16 - 2016-03-06 11:13:33 UTC
Imalia Bloodlines wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
As to the question of low sec missions sucking, the answer is "mostly" lol.

3 years ago I decided to try my hand at at 'living' in low sec just to do something new. I took my Machariel (mwd and cloak fit to trick my way past any camps) and found an out of the way minmatar low sec area with a station with 2 level 4 agents in it. Spent a day running missions. Between the stress induced by people trying to hunt me down/gate camp me and the TERRIBLE rewards (ie slightly more lp per mission than I could get in low sec), I quickly learned it wasn't worth it. I headed back to high sec and refit that mach to run incursions.

Months later I tried again, this time with a SOE low sec lvl 4 mission agent. Turns out it's in Gallente FW space, WAY to busy there

So no, low sec doesn't offer itself well to conventional mission running. Then I stumbled across this YouTube video of someone doing low sec in un-conventional fashion, I was intrigued as all hell lol. What he does is accept a few missions at once (in a place with a cluster of agents), then blitzes them in relatively cheap ships (like the Naga). He knows his stuff about converting LP as well. I tried it and with a little work, the 300 million isk per hour he claims is very close to doable.

So it's a matter of attacking the problem from a different angel like h did to make it worth while. I keep a few ships (a naga, a fleet stabbers, and an interceptor) in just such a low sec location for me to come back to incase I don't have access to null and/or don't feel like doing high sec stuff.

That guy is legend. I heard so much good music from his clips lol



Just ended up watching the music videos lol

No one method is the right method, nor the wrong method.

Estella Osoka
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2016-03-07 15:50:06 UTC
Queen Padi wrote:
Arthur Aihaken wrote:
After spending the better part of the week out in low-sec I've come to the conclusion that missioning and PvE (outside of FW and DEDs at least) in low-sec, well... sucks. Finding a good L4 agent isn't an issue - and it's not even that much of a problem getting in or out of low-sec (even slipping through annoying gate camps).

The problem is that despite an approximate +50% LP and ISK payout, the rewards still suck - particularly when you take into consideration the increased risk. Bounties are identical to everywhere else, and since you're loitering around more than usual you really don't want to accept too many "clear" missions. The core issue is LP. You're more or less relegated to Faction agents or those with extremely poor ISK/LP conversion ratios (due in no small part to FW bastardizing the heck out of it), so despite the hike to the LP take you're losing all or even more of it to the horrid conversion rate - and this basically puts you on par with high-sec. In fact, I'm fairly certain even running SoE agents in the highest security systems is still more lucrative.

There are other challenges, namely that you can't really afford to risk any blingy implants or modules - so you're looking at longer mission completion times in general. There's a reason a lot of players never really venture out of high-sec, and it's not because they're necessarily risk-averse.



Sure in high sec and null, yet run a SoE in .5 sec, like i do and the isk are great including most bounties that you can farm untill expire time is up!
Just did a lvl 4 in .7 SoE and raked in 35mil in bounties along plus it took less than 20min


You do realize this thread is about accepting and running missions in low security space? Namely .4 to .1 security space?

We know the rewards for hisec missioning is nice, but the whole idea is that mission rewards are supposed to be better the lower the sec status of the system. It does not scale appropriately for the risk involved. It's better to just run anoms or join FW and run FW missions.