These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why did you discontinued Evelopedia?

First post
Author
Suzanne Khale
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2016-03-01 08:06:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Suzanne Khale
That was the worst change I spectated in EvE from since I'm playing.

That was one of the best, most helpful resource the game had. A veteran would access it rarely, but as a new player I used to read information on it for hours.

You just made the game far less accessible for new players. What a stupid decision! EvE is yet enough complicated to get started with, and now you removed the best newbie helping tool.

I am sure your trial account retain rate will drop. Good job.
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
#2 - 2016-03-01 08:10:19 UTC
i find this to be more helpful to be honest. it's more elaborate and updated afaik.

Just Add Water

Yarosara Ruil
Haighare Pirates
#3 - 2016-03-01 08:12:58 UTC
EVE Uni Wiki is strictly better. And EVElopedia was ridden with outdated information, sometimes incorrect, and had an unhealthy mix of simplicity and complexity thrown in with no discernable reason.

And don't get me started on the anemic Lore articles.
Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#4 - 2016-03-01 08:16:14 UTC
Yarosara Ruil wrote:

Yeah, who needs lore when you have crap to grind.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#5 - 2016-03-01 08:20:07 UTC
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
EVE Uni Wiki is strictly better. And EVElopedia was ridden with outdated information, sometimes incorrect, and had an unhealthy mix of simplicity and complexity thrown in with no discernable reason.

But then, usually anemic is better than dead.
Nick Bete
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2016-03-01 08:27:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Nick Bete
Relying on third party (player run) sites is a cop out of the first order. It's CCP's game and therefore their responsibility to document it properly. Eve Uni or Brave Newbies could shut down tomorrow, they could decide to stop allowing non-members access to their content, etc. Also, I'm betting that there's little to no backstory/lore information on either of those sites. There's probably little to no advanced tech/troubleshooting information on things like performing a manual cache clearing (useful for stubborn issues caused by corrupted files that the normal in game tool doesn't always clear) or the location of various client files under different OSes (again useful for troubleshooting the Eve client). Although a lot of the information in Evelopedia was outdated it was a still a CCP-run, centralized wiki that was accessible by all.

The fact that there are player-run wikis out there doesn't absolve CCP of the responsibility for documenting their own game.
Tisiphone Dira
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2016-03-01 08:48:43 UTC
I too want my hand held by ccp.

There once was a ganker named tisi

A stunningly beautiful missy

To gank a gross miner

There is nothing finer, cept when they get all pissy

Captain IQ
Innocent Traders Ltd
#8 - 2016-03-01 09:11:26 UTC
Tisiphone Dira wrote:
I too want my hand held by ccp.

Somebody else that thinks the game was just designed for them and that there's no need to provide any help for new bros.
Arkoth 24
Doomheim
#9 - 2016-03-01 09:17:10 UTC
Yarosara Ruil
Haighare Pirates
#10 - 2016-03-01 09:49:21 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:

Gosh darn it! Of course not! Now that EVElopedia is dead, I can make stuff up and pass it as legit! Like how the Sisters of EVE are pure evil, how Guristas are cool cats and how ORE is crazier than BOVRIL!
Aviola von Yodalgut
Doomheim
#11 - 2016-03-01 10:31:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Aviola von Yodalgut
They did the right thing if they weren't planning to update it.

Can't really have out dated information on the main site, it looks bad.

But anyway you still have other ways to learn stuff.

Opportunities
Career agents
Rookie help in-game channel
Help in-game channel
Player run sites (i.e. wiki, EveUni)
Items have explanations of what they are
There's the in-game ship tree (can't think what they call it). I've used it more times than I ever used the Evelopedia.
Forums
As well as players just experimenting.

Plus side of getting rid of it is that they don't have to use resources in keeping it up-to-date.

Downside is that they can't control the information on player run sites.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#12 - 2016-03-01 11:19:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

Gosh darn it! Of course not! Now that EVElopedia is dead, I can make stuff up and pass it as legit! Like how the Sisters of EVE are pure evil, how Guristas are cool cats and how ORE is crazier than BOVRIL!

But you had a rough canvas on which you could work. Google "Talocan EVE". Oh no, every lore expansion article was on EVElopedia. Shocked
This is co-creation. Or rather was.

Now new players are in the dark forest, on their own. Old players remember something, or have copied some informations. They will make their own lore sites, maybe, if they care to share.
Heiluri
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2016-03-01 11:43:25 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

But you had a rough canvas on which you could work. Google "Talocan EVE". Oh no, every lore expansion article was on EVElopedia. Shocked

Now new players are in the dark forest, on their own. Old players remember something, or have copied some informations. They will make their own lore sites, maybe, if they care to share.

CCP noted that the lore stuff will be moved somewhere soon™.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#14 - 2016-03-01 12:27:45 UTC
Heiluri wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

A lot of work. Forget about it.
Usually if you dont have already developed the replacement, so you can quickly link it in the place of removed content, you have nothing for a lot of time, and you are detached from sourcing a service.
Maybe CCP just dont want to do it, and is waiting for players to fill this servicing hole, so they dont have to.

All of this from a company that dont allow people to have corporation SKINS on ships. But then, people didnt pay CCP for editing articles on wiki.
Aviola von Yodalgut
Doomheim
#15 - 2016-03-01 12:30:20 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Heiluri wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Yarosara Ruil wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:

A lot of work. Forget about it.
Usually if you dont have already developed the replacement, so you can quickly link it in the place of removed content, you have nothing for a lot of time, and you are detached from sourcing a service.
Maybe CCP just dont want to do it, and is waiting for players to fill this servicing hole, so they dont have to.

All of this from a company that dont allow people to have corporation SKINS on ships. But then, people didnt pay CCP for editing articles on wiki.

The way I see it, if players write the lore then you may as well forget about lore as it would become completely meaningless.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#16 - 2016-03-01 12:44:17 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authority_%28sociology%29

Authority is associated with wisdom. Game lore editable on official wiki was a way to appreciate EVE playerbase as subordinates.

What I see is CCP abandoning their mix of charismatic and rational-legal Authority.
Evelopedia shutdown is similar to abandoning the child. CCP risks becoming a "non-existent father" figure.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#17 - 2016-03-01 14:59:14 UTC
Quote:
17. Redundant and re-posted threads will be locked.

As a courtesy to other forum users, please search to see if there is a thread already open on the topic you wish to discuss. If so, please place your comments there instead. Multiple threads on the same subject clutter up the forums needlessly, causing good feedback and ideas to be lost. Please keep discussions regarding a topic to a single thread.

Please leave any feedback here.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=471083&find=unread

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.