These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Beginner exploration ship and fitting

Author
Souls Rei
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2012-01-11 01:17:07 UTC
Thank everyone for your inputs, i really appreciate it.

After some thought and research, i will roam the HS sites until i complete this fitting:

Salvager I
Core Probe Launcher I
Prototype Cloaking Device I
Prototype Gauss Gun 250mm

Cap Recharger II
10MN Afterburner II
Codebreaker I

Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
N-Type Kinetic Hardener I
N-Type Thermic Hardener I

Medium Gravity Capacitor Upgrade I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5

As far as i understand:
1)Move to LS (auto-cloak)
2)Dscan, look if noone's around
3)Uncloak, launch probes
4)Cloak up
5)Align to planet while scanning
6)Skip anomalies, WH, mag, ladar, grav
7)Warp to Radar + DED sites = $$$
Combat (for both HS and LS)
a)Lock biggest ship at max falloff range and shoot while orbitting with AB at optimal range.
b)Launch Drones at max operating range
Use Warrior II vs Angel Cartel,
Use Hobgoblin II vs non-AC Frigates
Use Hammerhead II vs non-AC Cruiser, BC, BS
c)Activate Hardeners after my shield goes down.
Kinetic Hardener vs Angel Cartel, Guristas, Serpentis
Thermic Hardener vs Blood Raider, Sansha, Serpentis

Also one last thing i need to confirm, can i take on Watch/Vigil expeditions with this ship?
5nipe
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#62 - 2012-01-11 02:11:38 UTC
J'as Salarkin wrote:

Mind sharing a bit of that wall of text? I am training for a pilgrim to be used exactly for LS exploring right now, aiming for radars, mags and the easier ded (up to 4/10). Still a few days of for sure, but my arbitrator is currently doing a mighty fine job on its own.

So any tips, tactics or fittings to share for a fellow explorer?

Pilgrim as low sec exploration platform is excellent choice for few reasons. But it has it's cons as well. The biggest issue is CPU requirements. Many effective fits would not be available to you unless you have Recon Ships at lvl5. Possible solution is Smoke Screen Cov Ops Cloak. Second is relatively low dps, unless your drones skills are really, really good. Also Pilgrim has only 2 rigs slots and if you use them for scan rigs you may run into troubles troubles with Energy grid or cap recharge. I would recommend to use rigs the same way as ammo. Doc, plug in new rigs, undoc, run site(s). Doc, plug in scan rigs, undoc - scan. Dock-undoc may be a bit risky, but if you learn insta undocking mechanics, you will be just fine.

I would not give you specific fits I used, mostly because they are pretty tight and depend on my skills, but I rather give you few ideas to play with in EFT.

1. Don't think cheap - think proper. Even if you can't afford some fittings right away, keep in mind, you will make enough ISK to get stuff for effective fitting based on your skills.

2. If you have problem with CPU look at Smoke Screen Cloak, as I mentioned Already. Don't forget that you can switch on/off some modules, codebreaker for example, to release CPU and put it on line only for Radars.

3. Pilgrim is drones boat. So you need to tank whole aggro, which you easy can aggregate with any civilian gun, and it will not hurt your CPU/Grid.

4. Use drones augementors for range if fittings permits.

5. Try to make your ship cap stable without cap busters.

6. A-Type small armor rep has almost the same efficiency as med, but has way lower greed/cap requirements.

7. Always carry ECM drones.

8. MWD is your second friend beside Cov OPS Cloak.

That is pretty much main points about fitting. The techniques for running particular sites and low sec evasive traveling and avoiding troubles is a different story.

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#63 - 2012-01-11 02:54:05 UTC
Souls Rei wrote:

Also one last thing i need to confirm, can i take on Watch/Vigil expeditions with this ship?

You'll be able to do the encounters by kiting and some of the escalations. I don't think you'd be able to finish jetset through lack of dps, though following as far as you gives you a moderate possibility of faction drops as there is a chance for an overseer in steps. I've had a watch drop me daredevil bpc, lg snake and then escalate as well. Escalations are my preferred lowsec content because your BM is private and has to be found with combat probes whilst you are in it.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#64 - 2012-01-11 04:45:12 UTC
Souls Rei wrote:
Thank everyone for your inputs, i really appreciate it.

After some thought and research, i will roam the HS sites until i complete this fitting:

Salvager I
Core Probe Launcher I
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Cap Recharger II
10MN Afterburner II
Codebreaker I

Medium Armor Repairer II
Damage Control II
N-Type Kinetic Hardener I
N-Type Thermic Hardener I

Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5
Warrior II x5

Nice fit. You will enjoy it I'm sure.

I will add in adjustments for my method of LS scanning

As far as i understand:
1)Move to LS (auto-cloak)

1a check local. If the system has people, especially pirate types, move on
1b. If clear make quick safes. Warp to safe
2)Dscan, look if noone's around
3)Uncloak, launch probes
4)Cloak up
5)Align to planet while scanning (once cloaked I don't usually stay aligned, but not a bad habit either)
5a. If anything is worth running, make a few better safes
6)Skip anomalies, WH, mag, ladar, grav
7)Warp to Radar + DED sites = $$$
Combat (for both HS and LS)
a)Lock biggest ship at max falloff range and shoot while orbitting with AB at optimal range.
b)Launch Drones at max operating range
Use Warrior II vs Angel Cartel,
Use Hobgoblin II vs non-AC Frigates
Use Hammerhead II vs non-AC Cruiser, BC, BS
c)Activate Hardeners after my shield goes down.
Kinetic Hardener vs Angel Cartel, Guristas, Serpentis
Thermic Hardener vs Blood Raider, Sansha, Serpentis

The main reason I don't bother in busy systems, at least until you know the locals, is you become a big target. Once a pirate sees probes they know why you are there. They may even leave the system for a bit to make you feel at home. There is a good chance they have already scanned the system for easy ganking later.

I have only ever run watch/ vigil sites with a myrmidon. But a vexor may also be able to by kiting everything.
Kolmogorow
Freedom Resources
#65 - 2012-01-11 15:41:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kolmogorow
Derath Ellecon wrote:
...vigil sites...

They are pretty hard in a Vexor. I've tried this few days ago (Serpentis version) with almost the same fitting as above - except I didn't have a cap recharger (Analyzer instead). The bottleneck was capacitor as I couldn't run the repairer long enough and I had to warp out twice (actually probably more but I hadn't finished the site since an Ishtar stole me the last half of the second pocket).

With combat optimized fitting and tank it's probably doable without warping out but it's a border case and an explorer isn't usually combat optimized. I doubt that one cap recharger is enough, there must be more for cap recharge rate - a second cap recharger or cap power relay in low or a cap rig (or maybe double hardeners), all things which are not really available on an exploring Vexor.
J'as Salarkin
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#66 - 2012-01-11 20:51:52 UTC
5nipe wrote:

Pilgrim as low sec exploration platform....

Thank you very much for the information. Some stuff like using the civilian gun I already figured out, but some other stuff like using the rigs as ammo (care to explain more on what rigs you use?) and the A-type armour rep was interesting to hear.

To compare and to give some info for Souls Rei too I will give my arbitrator fit here:

Cloaking device II
small laser (to draw aggro)
probelauncher
salvager

Microwarp (Y-T8)
analyzer
codebreaker
cap recharger II

Small armour rep II
1600 mm tungsten
EANM II
EANM II

rigs are two cap rigs and one scan strength rig
Got hobgoblins II, hammerheads II, warriors II, one armour rep bot and EC-300s in the drone bay

I like it and it works well for me. The 1600 mm plate lets me tank the rats till my drone have killed them, I dont even have to care about the cap that much.

Now to fitting the pilgrim I could just follow the same principle and fit an extra cap recharder in the mid and another 1600 mm plate in the low! That would make for one hell of a tank. Probably to huge to really be of any use, but I am quite sure I could make it fit, would need recon 5 becasue of the cpu. Should I skip the second plate and fit something else? (No idea what to fit otherwise).
5nipe
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2012-01-11 21:55:16 UTC
J'as Salarkin wrote:
5nipe wrote:

Pilgrim as low sec exploration platform....

but some other stuff like using the rigs as ammo (care to explain more on what rigs you use?)

J'as Salarkin wrote:

Now to fitting the pilgrim I could just follow the same principle and fit an extra cap recharder in the mid and another 1600 mm plate in the low! That would make for one hell of a tank. Probably to huge to really be of any use, but I am quite sure I could make it fit, would need recon 5 becasue of the cpu. Should I skip the second plate and fit something else? (No idea what to fit otherwise).

I used rigs for energy and cap mostly.
But it was a period of time when I used to tank 6/10 with pilgrim and I used navigation rig for speed to get to hi orbit fast.

First of all, I used Pilgrim only vs Guristas, so neuts were not much of my concerns. The concept of rirgs on such ships as exploration Pilgrim is to cover wholes in your skills to get as better tank as you possibly can. You can tank with speed, distance, armor buffer (good enough to be able eliminate most incoming DPS before your tank drops) and active repair.

Depending on what kind of tactic you use you tailor your fit to get best tank (preferably cap stable).
If your tactic is to run away from NPC and orbit at 150 km or so, turning your MWD or AB from time to time, you may find Navigation rigs very useful (speed) or drones operation range rig(s).

If you need good armor buffer, you typically expand power grid for 2nd 1600mm plate or use trimark pump rigs.

Dual armor repair with 2 reps ( 1 med + 1 small / 2 med / 2 small ) really depends on cap, and you may find that extending power grid to be able fit Capacitor battery instead of cap recharger may be very well worth it. Or use 2 rigs for repair efficiency to keep your cap more or less stable or increase rep rate.

It may not be obvious but armor plated recon ships have one very nasty side effect. They lost agility. Yes, they still can warp (go to warp) cloaked, but they can be very, very easy decloaked by competent gate camp. If you use dual armor rep approach, or max resists with 800mm plate (or better without any) your ship still have decent agility to escape from decloaking dramiel or ceptor in most cases.

Why I love exploration (in low sec in particular) so much? Because it is open field for experiments, creativity and good fun. You don't have to worry about ISK too much, because you make a fortune, and along this venture you not get bored to death as you can get with missions. And once you go to low sec, you get yourself into pvp one way or another, since I honestly believe avoiding unwanted pvp is just yet another part of pvp.

Mavnas
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2012-01-11 22:19:05 UTC
Emperor Salazar wrote:

Also, profits will be random randomly at random intervals. The rng (random number generator) will govern what you find when. You will hit dry spells, that's working as intended. Keep at it though, exploration can pay out very well if you keep learning.

Dry spells aren't the rng, they're someone else exploring in your area Pirate. Unless of course you mean the stupid empty cans you get from sites sometimes Straight
J'as Salarkin
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#69 - 2012-01-11 22:45:49 UTC  |  Edited by: J'as Salarkin
5nipe wrote:

I used rigs for energy and cap mostly.

No scaning strength rigs? Or your scanning skills are just that good? I still need to train on mine a bit I guess, but can not get them much higher.

5nipe wrote:

But it was a period of time when I used to tank 6/10 with pilgrim and I used navigation rig for speed to get to hi orbit fast.

Speed tanking sounds interesting, will have to think about it. My drone control range is crap though so would have to increase that alot.

5nipe wrote:

First of all, I used Pilgrim only vs Guristas, so neuts were not much of my concerns.

I do mainly Blood and Sansha, will have to do some research to find out about neuts or no neuts. Have not seen anyone so far, but only did as high as 4/10.

5nipe wrote:

If you need good armor buffer, you typically expand power grid for 2nd 1600mm plate or use trimark pump rigs.

Dual armor repair with 2 reps ( 1 med + 1 small / 2 med / 2 small ) really depends on cap, and you may find that extending power grid to be able fit Capacitor battery instead of cap recharger may be very well worth it. Or use 2 rigs for repair efficiency to keep your cap more or less stable or increase rep rate.

It may not be obvious but armor plated recon ships have one very nasty side effect. They lost agility. Yes, they still can warp (go to warp) cloaked, but they can be very, very easy decloaked by competent gate camp. If you use dual armor rep approach, or max resists with 800mm plate (or better without any) your ship still have decent agility to escape from decloaking dramiel or ceptor in most cases.

Good stuff to think about. I was worried about the agility part, but have not been in enough gatecamps to have any idea about it yet. I might have to skip the plates then, cause I am sure that I will end up loosing most of my ships to gatecamps in the end.

5nipe wrote:

Why I love exploration (in low sec in particular) so much? Because it is open field for experiments, creativity and good fun. You don't have to worry about ISK too much, because you make a fortune, and along this venture you not get bored to death as you can get with missions. And once you go to low sec, you get yourself into pvp one way or another, since I honestly believe avoiding unwanted pvp is just yet another part of pvp.

I absolutely agree. Avoiding pvp can be really exciting at times! Making a fortune would be a bonus.

Thank you for all the tips!!