These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

First Maxed Eve account.

First post
Author
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#621 - 2016-02-25 11:28:36 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Notice that the people defending this feature don't have examples of why it's good for the game, only "no true Scotsman" arguements about why this feature isn't like p2w in other games. It is what it is, you can now buy skill points for money and bypass an arbitrary amount of time limited only by you wallet. This is obviously inherently unfair for people who care about fairness.

imho, it doesn't have much good features really and as you already know i don't view this as bad as well, so for me it only changes the game.

this doesn't make me curse CCP and whine in the forums, but it doesn't make me excited also. i don't think this will kill EvE but i really hope this can attract more targets, i mean, customers, like Agent Moon (who is 4 day old that lost a 1.98B kronos). this doesn't make me feel cheated because this is not exactly cheap and for me money = time, some people have money, some poeple have time, so basically the same. and the most important thing is there's no winning in EvE, in addition to advantage =/= win, so this is actually not a pay2win.

well this is a good and fast way to train up and complete my PIA Jump Drive Calibration from 4 to 5 which is around 70% already but i paused it and trained other skills instead and i can't seem to be able to put it back again. Lol

Just Add Water

Anton Karnak
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#622 - 2016-02-25 12:10:13 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Notice that the people defending this feature don't have examples of why it's good for the game, only "no true Scotsman" arguements about why this feature isn't like p2w in other games. It is what it is, you can now buy skill points for money and bypass an arbitrary amount of time limited only by you wallet. This is obviously inherently unfair for people who care about fairness.

Actually the opposite is true.
The people attacking this feature seem to have only two arguments:

1) It's Pay To Win
2) Something magical has been taken out of the game.

The people who support or seem unaffected seem to have the following arguments:

1) Time gates suck and are "arbitrary" (to use your own words).
2) It may attract newer players to the game
3) It allows you to do what you want when you want
4) The SP have to come from the very people who seem opposed to the feature
5) It offers an alternative to an already existing feature (Character Bizarre)
6) It allows the reallocation of SP
Josef Djugashvilis
#623 - 2016-02-25 12:19:42 UTC
Anton, I am opposed to cash for skill points.

I) It is pay to get an advantage over those who cannot or will not pay cash for skills.

2) 'Magic' has nothing to do with it, but I believe that one of the fundamental pillars upon which the game (the skill system) is (was) based, has been removed - altered to the detriment of the game.

This is not a signature.

sero Hita
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#624 - 2016-02-25 12:26:06 UTC
Nat Silverguard wrote:

on the contrary, you people are the ones who has narrow views on this, how can i be threatened by people/newbros having larger SPs than me if all this time i have been surrounded by people with larger SPs than me already. only this time, i have actually a chance to beat them 1v1.

So much this!! When I PVP or trade in the market there was already people with more SP competing with me. It does not affect me directly if more inject SP. In PVP there will still be a mixture of people with more and less than me, and I will fight against all of them, using game mechanics.

When trading I never sit and think "omg Cry a buy order went through!! I am loosing EVE because another guy who did not get the order, would have paid less tax (due to SP injection, and optimizing the trading skills) if he had gotten it". I got the buyorder, and get a profit no matter how much profit everyone else get (with more or less SP than me- injected or not)

In regards to missioning: When doing missions, I also do not care if someone 10 systems away injected 8 mill SP or someone 4 systems away trained 9 years, and can also run missions (provided they have the standing). I will stilll get ISK, to buy PVP ships for.

"I'm all for pvp, don't get me wrong. I've ganked in Empire, blobed in low sec. Got T-shirts from every which-where.. But to be forced into a pvp confrontation that I didn't want is wrong ccp." RealFlisker

sero Hita
Caldari State
#625 - 2016-02-25 12:37:22 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Notice that most people are not defending this feature, but purely reacting to the exaggerated opinions of a few nay sayers. I actually have seen very few who are possitive towards this feature, but many who are neutral and think now that we have it anyway, it will affect EVE very little. That is not defending.

IMO. this feature is all about increasing income for CCP and that is fine. They could have chosen many other worse models. And tbh. you don't know what the alternative choice they considered was? Perhaps we got the lesser evil?

Btw. the people who are into fairness, how did they feel about 13 year old veterans having an advantage(you are the one claiming SP=advantage) purely based on they found the game earlier and subscribed longer? Is that really fair? Or did we all live with it, because in reality SP does not mean much on tranquility(like they still do not IMO, even if injected)?

"I'm all for pvp, don't get me wrong. I've ganked in Empire, blobed in low sec. Got T-shirts from every which-where.. But to be forced into a pvp confrontation that I didn't want is wrong ccp." RealFlisker

Loradan Illstari
Illstari Industries
#626 - 2016-02-25 15:40:52 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Anton, I am opposed to cash for skill points.

I) It is pay to get an advantage over those who cannot or will not pay cash for skills.

2) 'Magic' has nothing to do with it, but I believe that one of the fundamental pillars upon which the game (the skill system) is (was) based, has been removed - altered to the detriment of the game.

You can buy skill injectors with just ISK. It is possible to make use of the feature without cash, so your first argument is a lie.

Time gating was never "fundamental" to the game or a pillar of it because the character bizarre has been around for years and directly circumnavigates that concept. Now you can be more surgical with the use of bought skill points. Oh, the horror. Yes, if someone wants to pay enough they may be able to get a 2% advantage of me in DPS output or a 10% advantage in MWD capacitor usage, but that's nothing new. There are already people out there with way more SP than me. There are already people out there who's skills are better optimized to their ships than mine are to mine, yet somehow I've still managed to function in this game all the same, and I'd bet half of those people were playing bought toons long before SP trading. Your second argument is also a lie.
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#627 - 2016-02-25 15:53:32 UTC
sero Hita wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Notice that most people are not defending this feature, but purely reacting to the exaggerated opinions of a few nay sayers. I actually have seen very few who are possitive towards this feature, but many who are neutral and think now that we have it anyway, it will affect EVE very little. That is not defending.

IMO. this feature is all about increasing income for CCP and that is fine. They could have chosen many other worse models. And tbh. you don't know what the alternative choice they considered was? Perhaps we got the lesser evil?

Btw. the people who are into fairness, how did they feel about 13 year old veterans having an advantage(you are the one claiming SP=advantage) purely based on they found the game earlier and subscribed longer? Is that really fair? Or did we all live with it, because in reality SP does not mean much on tranquility(like they still do not IMO, even if injected)?

The thing is I think the way it will affect eve is going to be hard to notice until it is too late. The ability to buy SP is a radical shift from the way the game used to be. When I started the game in 2011 there were many players out there with more SP than I did, at the very beginning I did think "damn how will I ever catch these guys". Then a week later I realised that you could focus your SP and catch up quickly; for example I could train only frigates and catch up to a veteran in a short time eliminating his advantage. More SP only opens up more options and I was fine waiting on them, as a new player you have a lot to learn anyway so you don't need access to every single option in the game. I also felt it was perfectly fair that players who had been here for many years more than me had access to better ships, I came from an MMO background and expected as much.

Now that SP trading is around there are additional pressures on a new player. When I started I could queue up skills for my frigate and then play around in it finding out the best way to fly it, some of these lessons carried over to other hulls and expanded my knowledge of EvE. I could learn fittings, run missions, pvp with corpmates and still know that I was advancing as fast as was possible (barring expensive implants). Now as a newbie I would feel that to be any use in this game I would need to fly a T2 or T3 cruiser, this will be my goal and I will try what I can to get there ASAP seeing as I want to do the fun thing. To get there fastest I'm going to be spending a lot more time than I would have previousy farming ISK to pay for injectors. In the past as long as I had ISK to cover my losses I would be fine, now I have a pressure to use injectors to meet my current goal. Once I get a T3 cruiser with my bought skillpoints maybe my goal changes to flying a carrier, maybe I then continue farming (since thats my experience of the game) until I have enough SP for the carrier. I can see it leading to a lot more farming and less newbies jumping in with what they have. I also see it cheapening the wait you have until you achieve a goal and thus cheapening the feeling you get when you do complete your goal.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Loradan Illstari
Illstari Industries
#628 - 2016-02-25 16:21:02 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
sero Hita wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:

The thing is I think the way it will affect eve is going to be hard to notice until it is too late. The ability to buy SP is a radical shift from the way the game used to be. When I started the game in 2011 there were many players out there with more SP than I did, at the very beginning I did think "damn how will I ever catch these guys". Then a week later I realised that you could focus your SP and catch up quickly; for example I could train only frigates and catch up to a veteran in a short time eliminating his advantage. More SP only opens up more options and I was fine waiting on them, as a new player you have a lot to learn anyway so you don't need access to every single option in the game. I also felt it was perfectly fair that players who had been here for many years more than me had access to better ships, I came from an MMO background and expected as much.

Now that SP trading is around there are additional pressures on a new player. When I started I could queue up skills for my frigate and then play around in it finding out the best way to fly it, some of these lessons carried over to other hulls and expanded my knowledge of EvE. I could learn fittings, run missions, pvp with corpmates and still know that I was advancing as fast as was possible (barring expensive implants). Now as a newbie I would feel that to be any use in this game I would need to fly a T2 or T3 cruiser, this will be my goal and I will try what I can to get there ASAP seeing as I want to do the fun thing. To get there fastest I'm going to be spending a lot more time than I would have previousy farming ISK to pay for injectors. In the past as long as I had ISK to cover my losses I would be fine, now I have a pressure to use injectors to meet my current goal. Once I get a T3 cruiser with my bought skillpoints maybe my goal changes to flying a carrier, maybe I then continue farming (since thats my experience of the game) until I have enough SP for the carrier. I can see it leading to a lot more farming and less newbies jumping in with what they have. I also see it cheapening the wait you have until you achieve a goal and thus cheapening the feeling you get when you do complete your goal.

That's a lot of could bes and maybes, when in reality no one expects anything new of a new bro. New bros fly tackle and ECM frigates. No one expects a new bro to be in a Cerb in 2 weeks, or even 2 months. What you feel and what goes on aren't exactly similar.
sero Hita
Caldari State
#629 - 2016-02-25 16:35:30 UTC
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Now as a newbie I would feel that to be any use in this game I would need to fly a T2 or T3 cruiser, this will be my goal and I will try what I can to get there ASAP seeing as I want to do the fun thing. To get there fastest I'm going to be spending a lot more time than I would have previousy farming ISK to pay for injectors. In the past as long as I had ISK to cover my losses I would be fine, now I have a pressure to use injectors to meet my current goal. Once I get a T3 cruiser with my bought skillpoints maybe my goal changes to flying a carrier, maybe I then continue farming (since thats my experience of the game) until I have enough SP for the carrier. I can see it leading to a lot more farming and less newbies jumping in with what they have. I also see it cheapening the wait you have until you achieve a goal and thus cheapening the feeling you get when you do complete your goal.

This is however pure speculation based on your own preferences and feelings. I don't feel this pressure you speak off, and tbh. are we dealing with grown-ups or children? If you cannot stand up against a pressure in a video game, where you can have just as much fun without injecting, you have bigger problems than SP trading IMO. Like I said more SP will mean very little in the game.

Also did you notice how you shifted from injecting SP being an OP advantage, unto that you as a newbie can catch up fast and SP don't matter
Mr Mieyli wrote:

When I started the game in 2011 there were many players out there with more SP than I did, at the very beginning I did think "damn how will I ever catch these guys". Then a week later I realised that you could focus your SP and catch up quickly; for example I could train only frigates and catch up to a veteran in a short time eliminating his advantage.

Because I sure did. And suddenly the real problem is the poor newbies will have no feeling of accomplishment. I think this is called moving the goalposts? For someone who complain about other people using "no true scotsman", this is quite funny.

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#630 - 2016-02-25 17:00:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Pay to win usually adds things to a game that are not available by other avenues.

Skill injectors and extractors may be added but their existence alone offers no advantage. The net result of using extractors on a global level is tons of sp being destroyed.

So no, its different enough from p2w to deserve its own term
Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#631 - 2016-02-25 18:45:59 UTC
sero Hita wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:
Now as a newbie I would feel that to be any use in this game I would need to fly a T2 or T3 cruiser, this will be my goal and I will try what I can to get there ASAP seeing as I want to do the fun thing. To get there fastest I'm going to be spending a lot more time than I would have previousy farming ISK to pay for injectors. In the past as long as I had ISK to cover my losses I would be fine, now I have a pressure to use injectors to meet my current goal. Once I get a T3 cruiser with my bought skillpoints maybe my goal changes to flying a carrier, maybe I then continue farming (since thats my experience of the game) until I have enough SP for the carrier. I can see it leading to a lot more farming and less newbies jumping in with what they have. I also see it cheapening the wait you have until you achieve a goal and thus cheapening the feeling you get when you do complete your goal.

This is however pure speculation based on your own preferences and feelings. I don't feel this pressure you speak off, and tbh. are we dealing with grown-ups or children? If you cannot stand up against a pressure in a video game, where you can have just as much fun without injecting, you have bigger problems than SP trading IMO. Like I said more SP will mean very little in the game

In real life and in everywhere else people follow the different pressures put on them, any illusion of a choice is just that. There is now undeniably an ability for a committed newbie to farm ISK to buy SP to get "caught up" to his friends. I don't think it's pushing the boat out too far to say that newbies will be farming more ISK now than before since they are able to buy SP and catch up. Why wouldn't they want to? If I was new again and was told that "hey you can fly any ship you want if you just farm a little" then I'm sure I'd take the opportunity. Even if my farming was quite spread out it would still be more farming than I did previously.

sero Hita wrote:
Also did you notice how you shifted from injecting SP being an OP advantage, unto that you as a newbie can catch up fast and SP don't matter
Mr Mieyli wrote:

When I started the game in 2011 there were many players out there with more SP than I did, at the very beginning I did think "damn how will I ever catch these guys". Then a week later I realised that you could focus your SP and catch up quickly; for example I could train only frigates and catch up to a veteran in a short time eliminating his advantage.

Because I sure did. And suddenly the real problem is the poor newbies will have no feeling of accomplishment. I think this is called moving the goalposts? For someone who complain about other people using "no true scotsman", this is quite funny.

In fact if you go back and look at my posts I have always been saying that this is going to hurt the game and its going to do it by cheapening the experience for everyone, including the supposed beneficiaries the newbies. Injecting SP will give you the ability to shortcut potentially years of skilling if you pay enough. It is an advantage not in day-to-day battles but in the capabilities that you can have. If I buy SP I can instantly adapt to game changes and try new things, if I cant afford it then I can't. I can also skip right by my equals, if I buy SP I can bring a T3 destroyer against your frigate you have trained skills for and pwn you. You might think my argument has changed but you're just not seeing the big picture.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#632 - 2016-02-25 19:00:25 UTC
I really dislike this "Pay to win" concept talk because the entire foundation of the concept of P2W is flawed. You have to have a PC to play the game, pay to play. You have to have a good internet connection, pay to play. You have to buy into the game, subscribe, whatever, pay to play. There is no WINNER in this game, it's an ongoing open game with no definable end point. It is impossible to 'win' in the classic sense of the term, so it's still pay to play.

If someone thinks that someone else with a billion skill points, twitchy reactions like a cat on catnip, and a brain the size of MARS to think through every possible permutation of the game has 'won' they are mistaken. They are just playing. Even if you lose EVERY SINGLE ship fight, the game mechanics specify, you never really die, you get a free ship, and you can keep trying over and over in some kind of Sisyphusian play mode, you can until you tire of it. You have paid your money, you get to play.

Now, all this griping and moaning about people getting advantage over another, please stop calling it pay to win, by definition it doesn't exist in the context of this game. It's a wrong term on so many levels that it's masking the real issue here.

So, Mr. Billionaire decides to have a day 1 mega character, trained to the max. Only someone with some serious doubts about their own skills and play ability should be worried about that character. Even I wouldn't be scared of that toon and I am a terrible PVP pilot at this point. They just don't know how to play. So this argument is theoretical at best and has no effect on the game.

In summary, stop worrying about the other guy. You can't determine ANYTHING other than your own actions. Do the best you can with what you want to have fun with. Make the game fun for YOU, and it doesn't take money. None of us will ever be the best because even the masters of the killboards still lose to other players from time to time. That should make you happy, it means you'll always have something to strive towards.

Can we put this topic to bed? The injectors are here, they aren't changing much and whatever evil they are doing to the game seems to be balanced by the good they are doing, at least at this point. So lets all give it some time, play the game, have fun and not worry about this in the near term. Lets look back on it a couple months from now and see what the effects are in the longer term. M'kay?
Josef Djugashvilis
#633 - 2016-02-25 19:26:06 UTC
Dear Loradan, in order for my first point to be a 'lie' it would have to be the case that one cannot buy skill injectors with cash (buy Arum with real life cash, use to buy skill injectors) is it your contention that this is not so?

That one can also buy them with isk, does not in any way alter that they can also be bought with real life cash - that is, pay to gain an advantage.

This is not a signature.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#634 - 2016-02-25 20:28:19 UTC
Dear Loradan, in order for my first point to be a 'lie' it would have to be the case that one cannot buy skill injectors with cash (buy Arum with real life cash, use to buy skill injectors) is it your contention that this is not so?

That one can also buy them with isk, does not in any way alter that they can also be bought with real life cash - that is, pay to gain an advantage.
No, you said that cash created an advantage over those who can't or won't spend cash for SP. In order for that to be true there has to be something that determines non-cash options cannot match cash options.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#635 - 2016-02-25 20:39:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

No, you said that cash created an advantage over those who can't or won't spend cash for SP. In order for that to be true there has to be something that determines non-cash options cannot match cash options.

Yes, by their standard, just playing the game for longer = pay2win.

When there is an item that can only be bought with cash that gives you and advantage on field that cannot be obtained in any other way, that will be pay3win.

If people dont use terms properly, the terms are basically meaningless.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#636 - 2016-02-25 21:38:49 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Mr Mieyli wrote:

Pay to win usually adds things to a game that are not available by other avenues.

Skill injectors and extractors may be added but their existence alone offers no advantage. The net result of using extractors on a global level is tons of sp being destroyed.

So no, its different enough from p2w to deserve its own term

Preface: Not a fan of this change.

However, I have to agree with Crosi above.

1. In other games P2W is quite clearly that. I pay $ and I get an in game item or items (that are often consumed--i.e. not always a permanent benefit)

2. The items are created out of "thin air"--i.e. nobody else in the game had the item, made the item, etc. Poof there it is in my hangar, garage, etc.

For SP injectors to work....somebody has to sell existing SP that came out of an existing character. So it is not the same as 2 above.

Also, while skills do open up new hulls, modules, etc. and can convey a benefit they are not the end all in this game. There are no fixed team sizes, no match making, nothing like that. If I go out with a new character and inject him with 5 million SP and start PvPing characters with 1 million SP (setting aside how I could even find such characters) there is nothing from stopping him from bringing a buddy and "winning". So it isn't even clear that 1 holds in this case because there are ways around that too.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#637 - 2016-02-25 21:51:12 UTC
Ive not done the math, but i would expect that the amount of SP destroyed in creating this character would have created 3 or more perfect characters if it were not for the diminishing returns on SP injectors.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#638 - 2016-02-25 22:08:33 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Ive not done the math, but i would expect that the amount of SP destroyed in creating this character would have created 3 or more perfect characters if it were not for the diminishing returns on SP injectors.

Well, he has what...474,368,000 SP, so just going from 80 million to 474,368,000 would require 1,314,560,000 SP. He got to keep 394,368,000 of that SP meaning 920,192,000 SP were destroyed, or almost enough for 2 characters to have near perfect skills.

So not three, but 2.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

d0cTeR9
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#639 - 2016-02-25 23:23:44 UTC
IWantISK RMT at its best. CCP should ban all of them after it's been proven they were RMTing.

Been around since the beginning.

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#640 - 2016-02-25 23:59:43 UTC
Having a gambling website making so much isk you can spend 2 trillion on a maxed out character is not evidence of RMT.

Thought having so much isk you could never hope to spend it in game in a lifetime must be watched closely as the temptation to RMT must be real.