These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

How is the Game Doing?

First post
Author
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2016-02-24 19:56:19 UTC
It certainly has more players than back when I was playing a lot in 2004-5 and 2007. Back in those days, 18,000 logged on was a big Saturday night. Nowadays, it often gets over 30,000 logged on. Of course, there are more bots, more double accounts and the system does not log you off as fast as it used to, so you have to take that metric with a grain of salt.

The players are a lot more hard core and experienced than they used to be in the old days. So, if you are a newb, you are basically thrown in with the wolves. In the old days it was the reverse, most players were more casual and newbish and the old gray wolves were more on the sidelines.

Right now, things are pretty stable, except for the injector thing which is scaring people.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#22 - 2016-02-24 20:14:41 UTC
Droidster wrote:

except for the injector thing which is scaring people.

yeah iv seen people pitching fits over it and biomassing
but the only real net negative ive noticed is that character age is now meaningless as a gauge of your opponent.
that aside nothing has changed aside from some people no longer being around over principal.
Pandora Carrollon
Provi Rapid Response
#23 - 2016-02-24 20:22:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Pandora Carrollon
There's no reason for it to 'die' and people that are saying it is are probably wishing it would because CCP is doing something to the game that they didn't like.

It's really a one of a kind game that you can't find elsewhere. I haven't seen so many die-hard fans around something like this since I was going to colleges and peoples homes to watch Anime about 3 decades ago. Then it became popular and now it's mainstream.

I am not saying EVE will ever make that transition, it has a lot of uphill battles it has to win before it can become a truly mainstream, heavy subscriber, MMO. It's current player base is one of those challenges. It's a very reactionary crowd and susceptible to a lot of in-fighting. I guess that's the nature of die-hard fans.

I tend to be a peacekeeper on most forums, however, I'm also not afraid to call it like I see it. I like EVE, but honestly, some of the "doom and gloom"-ers here on this forum are some of the worst of the breed I've seen. If the game has survived that kind of hand-wringing for 13 years then it'll be here for a lot longer...

I'm with those that say that you need to play for you, not for what other people say. The game is as much fun as you make of it, no matter what people say here on the forums... that includes me. Ignore me and just go have fun!
Iria Ahrens
Space Perverts and Forum Pirates
#24 - 2016-02-24 20:29:04 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
I never understood these kinds of posts. A game is either fun to play or it is not. I fail to see what other people are doing has to do with if the game is fun or not. I understand that it is an MMO and you need other players but as long as there are at least over a certain minimum I fail to see how that matters.

It's actually a legitimate question coming from a newbie. There have been many MMOs that came out and then died. Players that spent months or years developing a community find themselves cast adrift and nothing to show for that time invested.

It is actually always the main selling point I make about EvE. Unlike all these other games, Eve will be here 10 years from now, so it's ok to invest yourself in the game.

As long as CCP stays privately owned we can rely on EvE being CCP's baby. Now if CCP went publicly owned, then shareholders will appoint a new CEO with the mandate to whatever they have to to get more subscribers like "WoW."

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#25 - 2016-02-24 20:39:34 UTC
EVE, the dying game since 2003.

P.s. dont believe 99% of what you read on the forums, SPECIALLY in GD

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#26 - 2016-02-24 20:40:23 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
incarna ,
before my time.

ccp nearly actually killed the game

Pff, kids these days

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#27 - 2016-02-24 20:42:44 UTC
Ocean Ormand wrote:
Teium Purvanen wrote:
Firstly, please accept my apologies for asking this question. I always hated "game dying" threads on other forums on past MMOs and they do nothing but stir up stories.

The reason I am unfortunately bring up the question is, I've seen a few posts on the forums and whilst reading up about the game in various places (I like to research a game before I play) that Eve is in decline and, for lack of a better word, "dying" (cringe).

I want to invest a lot of time and subscription money into Eve as I personally think it will fill the void I have for a good open world game.

They neh sayers are sadly making me question whether it is worth continuing.

Again, i'm truly sorry for this kind of post, but I would be grateful if someone could let me know what things are really like.

Appreciate your time :)

Teium

2014 and 2015 were not good years for ccp with users seeming to be bleeding from the game. But Eve seems to have hit its floor. CCP appears to have finally got a handle on things with user numbers seeming to stabilize and actually trend upward. OFC CCP has a lot of up coming opportunities to screw things up. For instance, there appears to be some thought to making that horrible new camera mandatory. With CCP I just always assume the worst and when things turn out a little bit better then my expectations (e.g. i grew used to the new pac man icons), i'm happy.

Simple reason, less alt accounts due to multiple training queues.

I dropped a good bunch of accounts cause they were no longer needed to train the same amouny of characters

J'Poll
Caldari State
#28 - 2016-02-24 20:43:48 UTC
Lulu Lunette wrote:
I can't speak for others but I'm currently bored and thinking of quitting. Game has always seemed to trend up since I started playing though so I don't think there's ever a bad time to start.

If you are bored, it is your own fault. Not the game's fault cause it is a sandbox

Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2016-02-24 20:47:41 UTC
Lulu Lunette wrote:
I can't speak for others but I'm currently bored and thinking of quitting. Game has always seemed to trend up since I started playing though so I don't think there's ever a bad time to start.

can i have your stuff ?

Sorry Rlaph, Lulu's stuff is mine as stipulated in Article X Section 7 of the Grand Vherokhior Astro Shaman's Stuff Distribution and Trade Committee. We are currently taking suggestions for a better name. There's rare hypoallergenic Fedos in it for the best entry.

Grrr.

J'Poll
Caldari State
#30 - 2016-02-24 20:49:59 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Lulu Lunette wrote:

can i have your stuff ?

Sorry Rlaph, Lulu's stuff is mine as stipulated in Article X Section 7 of the Grand Vherokhior Astro Shaman's Stuff Distribution and Trade Committee. We are currently taking suggestions for a better name. There's rare hypoallergenic Fedos in it for the best entry.

How about:

The Committee for Unsuccesful at Everything Trustfund and Assets Aquisition

Thermal Damage
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#31 - 2016-02-24 20:55:02 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Lulu Lunette wrote:

If you are bored, it is your own fault. Not the game's fault cause it is a sandbox

kek

I was found guilty of Nitshe by the CoCaP

gfldex
#32 - 2016-02-24 20:56:13 UTC
When I started to play the game there where 10k _accounts_ online at prime time. The game was working just fine. Now it's 30k.

Some years ago CCP started to actively go after botters. Their server side behaviour detection seams to work well. That killed plenty of accounts ofc. Also there is a proper economic crisis in most of Europe with (real) youth unemployment crossing 50% in most countries. Mix that with Plex prices going from 350M a pop to 1.2B and you will see plenty of alts vanish. We, the players, simply can't tell how many players are actually playing the game unless CCP tells us the account numbers again and provides a breakdown of accounts/player over the years. The only indication of activity would be PvP losses, that are published at Fanfest these days. We used to see them quarterly, you will have to wait until April to see the change relative to last year (given they publish them).

All those words mean, that you can't tell the state of EVE because alts are so useful and common. The best indication is flying around in space and looking for targets. And there CCP really *beep*ed up. When I went into PvP (15 days into the game) there was always somebody to fight. If you camped a pipe the enemy had to react. Nowadays you have to pipe bomb a jump bridge or bet on incompetent JF pilots and you still wont get a reaction from your enemy. You have to shoot their moon goo spring to force their hand. Lowsec is a different matter. FW really did good to the game. If you are into shooting frigates that is.

The area of the game that should see the most action is the most stagnant because moon goo provides the incentive and jump drives supported by timer based warfare the means for afk empires to exist. CCP has tried to address jump drives and jump bridges with slight nerfs, with no results. If they finally grow the balls to touch the afk empires where it hurts, 0.0 might turn back into what it used to be. A place where you shoot lots of players and very few structures. It would also mean that pilots that are active all the time become of value to territory holding entities (or better their leadership) what may result in both the number of accounts and actual activity in space to go up. Orbiting a POS for 5 hours waiting for a timer to tick down does not count as activity and had (in my eyes at least) the effect to drive plenty of pilots out of 0.0 or even the game.

All that can be fixed and if I understood the proposed citadel mining feature correctly, it will fix moon goo and therefore drive afk alliances out of 0.0 . EVE got the potential for another 10 years of loyal customers for CCP games. Besides, where would you go? Another World of Tanks with spaceships?

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Iria Ahrens
#33 - 2016-02-24 20:57:17 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Lulu Lunette wrote:

can i have your stuff ?

Dammit! I"m always last to know.

My choice of pronouns is based on your avatar. Even if I know what is behind the avatar.

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#34 - 2016-02-25 01:18:38 UTC
Hey Tiff. EVE isn't dying. Don't worry your little head(s) about it.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Teium Purvanen
Doomheim
#35 - 2016-02-25 11:23:37 UTC
Thank you all for taking the time out to post :)

I'll see you all ingame...........unless you want to kill me, then I hope we never meet :D
Iria Ahrens
#36 - 2016-02-25 16:51:59 UTC
Nonsense. If Ralf, Cara, Sol, Shah, J'Poll, or any other of the regulars here gave me some "SURPRISE PVP!" I'd totally laugh and convo them. Although if the surprise happened when I'm moving 20% of my net worth across the cluster, I might also be a bit put out.

J'Poll
Caldari State
#37 - 2016-02-25 19:20:49 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:
Nonsense. If Ralf, Cara, Sol, Shah, J'Poll, or any other of the regulars here gave me some "SURPRISE PVP!" I'd totally laugh and convo them. Although if the surprise happened when I'm moving 20% of my net worth across the cluster, I might also be a bit put out.

No way.

It means I have to undock.

Space is scary out there.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2016-02-25 23:54:47 UTC
Teium Purvanen wrote:

What was so bad that created that huge spike in 2010?

The following is strictly my view on Incarna but just to give you some perspective I was very active at that time but lived in high sec mostly.

At that time CCP was actively producing 3 games and only one of them ( Eve ) had any money coming in. Dust 514 and World of Darkness were the other two and both were still in early development.

CCP decided that they were going to do the whole walking in stations thing. It was fairly well known by those that stay current on the detail that there was a lot of behind the scenes work that went into WiS including developing a brand new lighting engine. So it was no surprise that it was only one room as they had to get the mechanics of making it work out of the way first before they could develop engaging gameplay around it.

In my opinion where they went wrong was they promised the players that WiS would not be mandatory. Most of us internet spaceship pilots wanted nothing to do with it but were ok with it as long as we could opt out but ideally we wanted an opt in situation. Upon release day you were forced into your captain's quarters and ship spinning was gone. A lot of people were pissed about being lied to on that and the lack of any ability to avoid it. As you can see the rage got so bad they had to go back and give us our hangars back.

The whole incident lead to CCP having to recommit to it's core playerbase and I think in general was good for the game.

I personally just do not like micro transactions and have always only played subscription games to avoid them. In 2010 CCP was one of the last games to fall down that path. I would much rather pay for my game by the month and not have people trying to sell me virtual goods.

There are a lot more details here that I am skipping but that is the quick synopsis.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2016-02-26 00:04:09 UTC
Iria Ahrens wrote:

It's actually a legitimate question coming from a newbie. There have been many MMOs that came out and then died. Players that spent months or years developing a community find themselves cast adrift and nothing to show for that time invested.

Except years of months having fun playing a game. I've tried betas that flopped and other various situations where I played a game for a bit and then did not and I don't regret any of them. I had fun playing them while I did. When Eve stops being fun I'l find another game to play as well.

Honestly I think that a game trying and failing is far better than what happened to WoW which is the game succeeded and became a victim of it's own success.

Iria Ahrens wrote:

As long as CCP stays privately owned we can rely on EvE being CCP's baby. Now if CCP went publicly owned, then shareholders will appoint a new CEO with the mandate to whatever they have to to get more subscribers like "WoW."

I agree with you on this one. Venture capital and shareholders are the destroyers of anything good. Especially entertainment. If you want to make a good game you have to focus on making a good game. If you allow people who know nothing about gaming make the decisions with only profit on the mind ( which is what happens with investors ) then failure is certain.

The only thing investors know how to do is bleed something dry.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#40 - 2016-02-26 00:15:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Teium Purvanen wrote:
What was so bad that created that huge spike in 2010?

I recommend watching A Tale of Internet Spaceships

EDIT: Incarna starts at 23:35
Previous page123Next page